• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much shit EA would get if they wanted to crowdfund a DS sequel. You'd have people out there complaining about a billion dollar company not wanting to fund their own IP, but you'd have another group out there that knows that another DS would never get made otherwise.
Maybe Epic can fund it like they did Alan Wake 2

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think timing wise it was just released at a bad time.

It was right after Callisto and right before RE4. I skipped both this and Callisto and got RE4 instead.

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
Okay, I get why we'd want that, but why would a platform holder care? Dead Space ain't going to move consoles if it cannot move enough Dead Space to be worthwhile.

I'm curious about that. SH2 has a reputation as the GOAT horror game of all time, which might buoy sales, plus I imagine bloobrr works comparatively cheap. Might have a lower threshold for success.
I'm sure it would probably help choosing one over another for a few, including myself

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
That's sad but it's a harsh reality of AAA development. Well at least the remake was a good nostalgia trip.

Also feels like it's partly due to the IP itself imo; seems like there's not much room to expand beyond the horror of alien artifacts mutating humans etc etc.
Half of the original creators tried to offer something new with Callisto Protocol but ended up with roughly the same product lore-wise - vague generic space lore, mutated humans due to experimentation with alien things, but now with punching instead of dismemberment.

Re: what DS2 could have been - I'm a little happy they considered not following the original game at all; I would not have been interested in a 1 to 1 remake.

Jul 3, 2021
I'm curious about that. SH2 has a reputation as the GOAT horror game of all time, which might buoy sales, plus I imagine bloobrr works comparatively cheap. Might have a lower threshold for success.

Sad reality is that SH franchise combined sold overall less copies than a lot of single Resident Evil titles. For example, as of December 2018, the entire franchise sold only 9 million units, which Resident Evil 2 Remake alone surpassed in few years.

SH2 is a cult classic and has now critical appreciation, but the series never was selling great. RE games are an anomaly in this regard, and I dont think any horror games series can come even remotely close to their financial success. Hell, even Alan Wake 2, a trendy and critical darling that for some rivaled Baldurs Gate 3 and Zelda in last year, didnt sell amazingly well. Or Alien Isolation: great game with superb reception and popular IP was considered a financial failure by Creative Assembly and SEGA. (btw it blew my mind when I discovered that CA - known for amazing strategy games series "Total War" - developed Alien Isolation. What a range!).

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think if it released in the end of 2023 it would have done better, i think a deal with Gamepass would have been great also.
Shame, the Remake's lighting was incredible. I don't believe anything was pre baked.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Price the games (remakes) better imo. Wasn't this full price 70 (would have bought it for around 50)? I swerved it at launch and then played it on the EA service later, and I'm a huge fan of the first 2.... Money's tight yo 🤷🏾

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. Games cost considerably more to develop now (that's even considering EA's own lofty sales expectations with the original games) and most games in this genre aren't going to do Resident Evil or TLOU numbers.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Shame. Games cost considerably more to develop now (that's even considering EA's own lofty sales expectations with the original games) and most games in this genre aren't going to do Resident Evil or TLOU numbers.
It couldn't have been THAT expensive to make. Unlike what we expect from AAAs, Dead Space Remake only took 2.5 years to develop. It wasn't some dragged out mess from a bloated team.

EA's expectations are too high.

That said, I've always wanted to play Dead Space but I saved myself for RE4 Remake and now I'm taking a break from the genre. I imagine the timing just wasn't great for people. We saw that a lot in 2023.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Dead Space remake was the first EA game I've bought in like 7 years.

I'll just keep not buying your games then EA. Thanks.

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
So sad. Would've loved a new Dead Space following more in the footsteps of the first game.
DS2 was too linear, scripted and action heavy for my tastes.
You can dislike DS2 for being more action heavy, centered on setpieces and cinematic scenes, or you may prefer the ship environments, but to be fair DS2 is linear and scripted in the same way DS1 is.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
You can dislike DS2 for being more action heavy, centered on setpieces and cinematic scenes, or you may prefer the ship environments, but to be fair DS2 is linear and scripted in the same way DS1 is.
DS1 doesn't have nearly as many scripted "epic" sequences as ds2. DS1 also felt more open as you have more backtracking. Making it feel more like you're actually exploring a space instead of just being pushed forward through it.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
DS1 doesn't have nearly as many scripted "epic" sequences as ds2. DS1 also felt more open as you have more backtracking. Making it feel more like you're actually exploring a space instead of just being pushed forward through it.
Fair point. It's a shame we won't get to see Motives take on the sequel because some of their updates to the layout of the areas and the connectivity of it all was really good.

☹️

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
Sorry I meant that you may not like the cinematic/epic/action sequences, but general gameplay in both games is scripted the same way. The same enemies always appear in the same rooms each and every playthrough.
In regards to the exploration, I guess it depends on what you prefer as a setting. I wouldn't equate backtracking to more freedom, especially since said backtracking is forced by the story (DS1 Isaac also gets pushed around the ship by Hammond and Kendra constantly). DS2 has a much richer variety in scenarios which to me feels more open, instead of going twice through the same levels but now there's different enemies. In any case progress in both games is completely linear with limited chances for side-exploration.

In general I would consider both extremely linear and based on scripted encounters, and definitely follows the same formula. I like them both BTW.

FGNLive

Feb 6, 2021
The remake was so good. A treasure.

I have no anger hearing this news, just a profound sadness.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the first game was the one most in need of a remake, so at least we got that. I think the second one is still in decent enough shape and actually fits better with the remake with Isaac being fully voiced and all.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
EA bringing Dead Space back only to shelve it again is peak EA.
This is why remakes are bad TBH.
It could've been a new DS game and it could've sold better because of that making future DS games possible.
Instead we've got a mostly pointless remake which didn't add anything of value to the franchise, sold poorly and has killed it again.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
This is why remakes are bad TBH.
It could've been a new DS game and it could've sold better because of that making future DS games possible.
Instead we've got a mostly pointless remake which didn't add anything of value to the franchise, sold poorly and has killed it again.

It selling better is completely speculative, though. As much as DSR didn't change enough (and I'd argue that changing the structure to allow free roam on the Ishimura was enough--arguably more of a value add than RE2R and 3R, which had serious omissions), I imagine a DS4, with zero of the OG creatives, while the OG creatives were making a new space horror game would have similar issues exciting the fanbase.

And like, a 4 might excite the fanbase, but the Dead Space fanbase was not significant enough to keep it alive back then. Giving us a chapter 4 a full decade and two console generations after 3 would lock out new people--and new people was what was needed.

Capcom had no issue grabbing new people. Both RE2R and 3R sold multiple times what the OG releases did (and the dreamcast, PC, and GameCube ports could not have been you substantial, as Capcom didnt provide tracking data for them), caveat being RE at its worst has always sold better than Dead Space. RE4R is the fastest-selling game in the franchise, and it's arguably the quintessential unnecessary remake, as RE4 OG still is readily available and is still making greatest of all time lists.

So the question is, if DS4 came out instead and failed, would we blame Motive for making a game that only the fanbase cared about, or for bastardizing a once-great series that really could've been brought back if they stuck to the fundamentals?

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Waited for Game Pass
YOU DID THIS TO ME!
zs6dp7deg0q81.gif

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
EA blowing the layup. Dead Space 2 remake would have been great. Well still have the amazing remake.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It selling better is completely speculative, though.
Is it? A new game in a beloved franchise is by definition more interesting than a not-so-different remake of a game everyone own already.

As much as DSR didn't change enough (and I'd argue that changing the structure to allow free roam on the Ishimura was enough--arguably more of a value add than RE2R and 3R, which had serious omissions), I imagine a DS4, with zero of the OG creatives, while the OG creatives were making a new space horror game would have similar issues exciting the fanbase.
I absolutely hated that part of the remake as it added unnecessary backtracking and padding making the gameplay pacing worse not better.
In a new game with a new story this would be less of an issue as both the story and the game structure could've been made better for "open world like" design approach.

And like, a 4 might excite the fanbase, but the Dead Space fanbase was not significant enough to keep it alive back then. Giving us a chapter 4 a full decade and two console generations after 3 would lock out new people--and new people was what was needed.
By that metric a DS1R is even less interesting to everyone including the fanbase.