• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
DOJ policy is not to release info that might affect an election within a few months of it. Mueller is probably just following that.

Given the extraordinary circumstance I don't think propriety is something to adhere to. It'd be like insisting nobody get a fire extinguisher when a blaze breaks out because it's not proper to get up during dinner time.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you've heavily researched the issues involved, evidence by your inability to even spell the principal peoples' names correctly.
This is rich coming from someone that just spelled people's as peoples'.

And the fact I have my doubts in this should be indication That I was asking for an educated opinion on the matter like some poster did without some snarky aggressive response. I apologize that adding one m in Comey's name by mistake was such a huge deal.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And the fact I have my doubts in this should be indication That I was asking for an educated opinion on the matter like some poster did without some snarky aggressive response. I apoligize that adding one m in Comey's name by mistake was such a huge deal.
You're right, the apostrophe is in the wrong spot, but it is not relevant to the argument I was making.

You're the one popping off about Republicans all protecting each other while there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that going on with the people in question, and you spelled all of their names wrong, iirc. Just seems that you're not really well versed on it and are stirring shit, tbh.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I doubt anything meaningful is going to come of this. Anyone expecting Mueller to show up with slam dunk evidence that Russians personally bankrolled Trump's whole campaign and he fired everybody to cover it up is going to be sorely disappointed.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing this Republican Party would act on any findings based on recent behaviours.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I doubt anything meaningful is going to come of this. Anyone expecting Mueller to show up with slam dunk evidence that Russians personally bankrolled Trump's whole campaign and he fired everybody to cover it up is going to be sorely disappointed.

Why?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sigh.. I have no idea why people keep saying this. Mueller isn't going to personally slam cuffs on Trump but there is plenty that will come from his reports that will be meaningful. The shit that's already happened has been meaningful. No doubt more indictments/guilty pleas/jail time is on the way.

If you've followed the events leading up to this point, like at all, you'd know there's far more of a chance of something meaningful happening as a result of the investigations than not.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, the apostrophe is in the wrong spot, but it is not relevant to the argument I was making.

You're the one popping off about Republicans all protecting each other while there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that going on with the people in question, and you spelled all of their names wrong, iirc. Just seems that you're not really well versed on it and are stirring shit, tbh.
Sorry if I had concerns, next time I should stay quiet and not post at all. Because how hard it is to give a meaningful answer like other poster respectfully did.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why people keep saying this. Mueller isn't going to personally slam cuffs on Trump but there is plenty that will come from his reports that will be meaningful. The shit that's already happened has been meaningful. No doubt more indictments/guilty pleas/jail time is on the way.

The only thing that is ultimately meaningful is if Trump is removed from office. I don't care if Paul Manafort or Roger Stone go to prison. The only result that means anything is what happens to Trump.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not to speak for the person you responded to, but I personally feel that there are a lot of people waiting for Mueller and thinking that will be the motivation to get out there and demonstrate and demand action, where in reality, if people aren't out there already screaming bloody murder, stopping traffic, disrupting the econimy etc. then it gives tacit permission for the politicians in Washington to be "concerned" and then do nothing.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The only thing that is ultimately meaningful is if Trump is removed from office. I don't care if Paul Manafort or Roger Stone go to prison. The only result that means anything is what happens to Trump.
This is short sighted.

That's not the only thing that matters. You potentially have dozens if not hundreds of people involved in American politics (lots of GOPers) who could be getting their dirty laundry exposed. Yes, Trump getting impeached or him resigning is massive, but this is something that could cause a major shift inside of the GOP party/reshape future politics.

And in regard to Trump, there is plenty of reason for why he's going to be facing massive problems than not. There is plenty of reason for him to eventually be removed in one way or another.

This "nothing will come of this" shit without any actual reasoning (for why nothing is coming from it) is getting so tiring. It's been tired.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the only thing that matters. You potentially have dozens if not hundreds of people involved in American politics (lots of GOPers) who could be getting their dirty laundry exposed.

There is absolutely no reason to think the scope of Mueller's investigation has somehow expanded to include hundreds of GOP politicians. This is what I'm talking about. You've invented a fantasy version of the investigation where Mueller is secretly about to blow open the entire Republican party and expose them all as Russian traitors. And even if for some reason that did happen, we already know what would happen: absolutely nothing. The GOP has been laying the damage control ground work for a year: whatever we did, it's not illegal, and if it was illegal, who cares, and if you do care, what are you going to do about it anyway? You have polling that says a huge portion of the electorate says they don't care. You have people waving signs that say "I'd rather be Russian than Democrat." The average person only cares about the money in their paycheck and whether or not their kids are safe at night, not whether Trump got some money from Russia or something.

The best we can hope for is that the information is enough for the Democrats to make enough of a stink about it for two years that the public decides to vote Trump out in 2020.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There is absolutely no reason to think the scope of Mueller's investigation has somehow expanded to include hundreds of GOP politicians. This is what I'm talking about. You've invented a fantasy version of the investigation where Mueller is secretly about to blow open the entire Republican party and expose them all as Russian traitors. And even if for some reason that did happen, we already know what would happen: absolutely nothing. The GOP has been laying the damage control ground work for a year: whatever we did, it's not illegal, and if it was illegal, who cares, and if you do care, what are you going to do about it anyway? You have polling that says a huge portion of the electorate says they don't care. You have people waving signs that say "I'd rather be Russian than Democrat." The average person only cares about the money in their paycheck and whether or not their kids are safe at night, not whether Trump got some money from Russia or something.

The best we can hope for is that the information is enough for the Democrats make enough of a stink about it for two years that the public decides to vote Trump out in 2020.
You're putting words in my mouth.. don't do this, I haven't invented shit, so I don't appreciate this type of commentary. I'm saying there's potential for there being more than just Trump who could potentially be hurt by this investigation. Mueller's scope isn't limited, he can expand into areas he deems necessary, and he's investigating the Trump campaign, not just Trump himself. Who the hell knows where that might lead.

I'm not saying he's secretly going to blow open the entire republican party and send them all to prison. I'm saying he could definitely do damage to the party by exposing who knew what and who turned a blind eye to some of the shit that was happening around them.. damage that could harm the GOP party over time. Hurt them in future elections. Trump supporters sporting "I'd rather be a Russian than a Democrat" t-shirts aren't the only people who voted Trump.

That said, yes, there's still a decent chance that Trump could be impeached or even resign, considering what happens in November and who has control of the house/senate. Coupled with whatever Mueller has in his report shows that there's a lot more pointing to "something will happen" than "nothing will come from this". And yes, things other than Trump himself are still important and matter. 2020 elections is not "the best we can hope for"; a lot can happen before then and most likely will.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I know it won't happen, but how awesome would it be if Mueller had evidence that the presidency and several Congress and Senate seats were explicitly hacked and invalidated with actual votes flipping seats. Could disturb markets and USD briefly, but God damn imagine Hillary taking the white house.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bookmarked.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, all of the information has been in the news. We know Trump has done everything. What more is Muller going to say?

But uh, that doesn't mean Trump and Co. aren't going down.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And used the wrong instance of principle. Personally I believe this means he has found nothing to tie Trump or his campaign directly to Russia in regards to collusion. He may have other info on him in regards to financial crimes. If he had dirt that ties Trump or his campaign to Russia, it would have been released IMO.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And used the wrong instance of principle. Personally I believe this means he has found nothing to tie Trump or his campaign directly to Russia in regards to collusion. He may have other info on him in regards to financial crimes. If he had dirt that ties Trump or his campaign to Russia, it would have been released IMO.

Not before it was fully investigated it wouldn't be. And it shouldn't be. We get one chance at this.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
There won't be a "report." Mueller has never suggested or insinuated he is working on some singular report. He has only spoken via indictments, and I expect that to continue next month after the election.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, shouldnt the voters have all the available information when they go vote? ESPECIALLY when its about something this huge.

i'm not American and i just dont get this..
LBJ had proof of Nixon committing treason when he ordered his campaign to convince the North Vietnamese to stall peace talks with the US/South. He opted not to do a damned thing about it saying something about crumbling the American Political system with Americans doubting its representatives.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
was really hoping for a hail mary and we would get the bomba drop before the midterms.

i mean i understand why Mueller wouldn't want to do that but it's important information the electorate is entitled to have before casting votes IMO

What you cite is evidence, however, of higher voter enthusiasm, and I do think turn out will be greater than usual for a midterm election. But greater than a presidential election? That would be historic. Below is a graph of voter turnout of presidential elections versus midterm elections since 1916. Even the best turnout for a midterm election (1966 - 48.7%) wasn't higher than the worst turn out for a presidential election (1924 - 48.9%).

Wouldn't it be great! We are living through HISTORIC times right now. The only real solid way any of us have to shout down this administration and what they are doing is through voting. I'm not going to put it outside of the realm of possibility that we see turnout numbers close to those of a presidential election. Man, that would be something. Registrations and enthusiasm has it tracking.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ultimately he could find something, but if he had it now, I almost guarantee it would be out. Somethi g this big would be too important to hold back before the electorate.
Nah. No matter what he was probably gunna wait until after the election and definitely wouldn't have released anything before the investigation was complete. You only get one shot at this.

Oct 30, 2017

Is your opinion actually based on something, or anything, though? Do you have any kind of experience that leads you to believe this? Are you aware of some information or have some knowledge of Mueller or Rosenstein's histories that leads you to come to this conclusion? I say this because you can preface anything with saying it's your opinion, but there's a difference in quality of opinion. For instance, if a paid NFL analyst tells me the Browns are winning the Superbowl, I'd listen carefully. But if some random fanboy is just saying it based on nothing then who really cares?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secret meetings in the middle of the Indian Ocean etc. certainly indicate this was well beyond just bumbling idiots stumbling along. Trump has run a Russian Mob connected Criminal Empire for decades. If they were to somehow say they found nothing it would be the biggest farce.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's pie in the sky to think much of anything serious is going to happen to Trump. The reality is that people in positions of high power in this country are never held properly accountable for their crimes.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's pie in the sky to think much of anything serious is going to happen to Trump. The reality is that people in positions of high power in this country are never held properly accountable for their crimes.
He doesn't need to go to prison even though he should. Even bigger than prison would be to see the Trump empire fall while he's still alive. It's his source of pride. In prison, he would view himself as a political prisoner and a pariah.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He doesn't need to go to prison even though he should. Even bigger than prison would be to see the Trump empire fall while he's still alive. It's his source of pride. In prison, he would view himself as a political prisoner and a pariah.
But it's just not going to happen. It would be great if it would. Even if somehow it reached a Nixon point where he was near impeachment and forced to resign, that might even be preferable for him than being President. He has millions of followers with a truly religious devotion to him as a person who believe everything negative ever said about him is a smear and a lie. He can construct a lucrative media career from being the jilted President who was wrongfully forced from office by the Washington swamp. I think he would enjoy that more than the job of President, which he barely does anyway.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so.

There's going to be a finding that there was incompetence on both matters but ultimate not enough to be criminal.

That's 100% what I expect.
What? He obstructed in front of the whole damn country for all to see when he admitted he want the investigation over. And actually made public moves for that to happen before his party talked some sense into him! Come on dude.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What? He obstructed in front of the whole damn country for all to see when he admitted he want the investigation over. And actually made public moves for that to happen before his party talked some sense into him! Come on dude.
Trump does things every day that are wrong and not right. At the end of the day, it will come down to he is just inept.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Trump does things every day that are wrong and not right. At the end of the day, it will come down to he is just inept.
He isn't just inept dude. He is complicit in all his doings. Hes a grown ass man thats accountable. This is what Mueller is here for. Accountability. Hes the ONLY guy thats recording all of this stuff in the background. People arnt realizing this. It's on paper and not just a tweet of obstruction or conspiracy. The act and not just words is already in history books. How can you just overlook it.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So will he sit on this file for the next two years? If anything is compromised, that gives The Opposition plenty of time to prepare.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the extraordinary circumstance I don't think propriety is something to adhere to. It'd be like insisting nobody get a fire extinguisher when a blaze breaks out because it's not proper to get up during dinner time.

What's the downside to waiting until after the election?

If only a certain director of a bureau of investigation at the federal level followed that DOJ policy...

Indeed.