• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Absolutely not. As I said before, the only time I use it undocked is when laying in bed. It's propped up directly in front of my face. Otherwise, I'd just play it on my TV.
I'm playing in my bed and used a ruler and I'm about 15 inches from my Switch. If you have vision problem, sure. But 8 inches is basically " in your face".

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Really?

Because my thinking is that it's pretty crappy if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks pretty much exactly the same handheld(actually marginally worse due to increase screen size) whilst having a massive upgrade on TVs. Seems way lopsided in favour of the home experience.
Maybe the tons of sub native games will look better. MK8 is kind of an exception, really.

Really?

Because my thinking is that it's pretty crappy if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks pretty much exactly the same handheld(actually marginally worse due to increase screen size) whilst having a massive upgrade on TVs. Seems way lopsided in favour of the home experience.
I mean, you're already talking about the difference between going from 50+ inch TVs to a 6.2 inch screen. People seem pretty darn OK with that now!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 and Series continued mass shortages also show that he wasn't wrong about that, either.
When he spoke of mass shortages he said half of what was delivered.
No.

If you're going to make a claim like that against someone, you need to back it up.

Explain what you mean. "His years of reporting" isn't doing that.
He said NX will run their own smartphone games, industry leading chips and he keeps bringing up the switch pro for 2 years. PS5 struggling with price and shortages
What's he been wrong about over "his years of reporting" to warrant such comments? To my mind, he's one of the most reliable reporters in the industry.

And for those keeping score, this isn't his first article about a 4K Switch either.
Above
I don't know why me not believing is such a big issue.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
720p is fine if games run closer to that target than on the original model.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a similar form factor, that's great. I hate the current thick bezel, and 7" would take the screen nearly to the edge, which would be nice. Also means I might be able to see the damn text in Three Houses a bit better. :P

I'm guessing the 4K isn't going to be native and will have to have some kind of CB/AI upscale implementation. Anyway, whatever the case, hope this all means that the current array of games that don't consistently hit their target framerates will be nice and smooth on the new kit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really wondering if the tensor cores are going to be in the dock. I have to say, I'll be disappointed if the cost of adding tensor cores to the system means that the rest of the tech (CPU, GPU, Memory, etc...) do not see a bump.
tensor cores is not possible in the dock. you can't have tensor cores and not bump up everything. they need to make a new chip to even have tensor cores, which means a new cpu and a new ampere gpu

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hell, give me the worst screen possible if it means a cheaper alternative, all I need is that sweet and much better docked performance. Docked mode will be the way to go with this one it seems. Can't wait for the reveal and tests!

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone isn't in the loop, this guy is pretty reliable. Id put him up there with Jason Schreier, though I have not gone back to fact check his reporting. That said, the industry is fluid and plans do change which is something to always keep in mind.

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the tons of sub native games will look better. MK8 is kind of an exception, really.
MK8 is the most popular game on the system, and if you look at the top 10 best selling games on the system most of them are native resolution in handheld.

I mean, you're already talking about the difference between going from 50+ inch TVs to a 6.2 inch screen. People seem pretty darn OK with that now!

Sure but what I mean is there's significantly less incentive to upgrade for the portable experience. The enhancements vs OG Switch are going to overwhelmingly on the TV side.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Handheld could use DLSS to go from 360p to 720p which would a) increase battery b) give room to improve framerates c) extra effects, better shadows etc - its literally pointless using it for resolution when the difference would be imperceptible but that doesn't mean it stays the same

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who never uses handheld mode - just give me 1440p/60 for BOTW and many other games in docked and I am good.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
720p OLED for portable mode would be actually pretty decent! To my eyes, 720p content looks just fine. As for the 4K docked part, that's an interesting tidbit. I'm sure with using NVIDIA chips that there might be newly implemented DLSS-like tech. Nintendo first party studios heavily use on adaptive resolutions that can go all over the place. So DLSS tech would be fantastic to use here.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You care to elaborate on what you are talking about or is it really as simple as this:
giphy.gif

Jun 20, 2019
1 million a month starting in June gives 5 million ready to ship in November. Gonna be tough to find one for Christmas.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
it required a bespoke game specific solutions for 4k. Not many games ran at that resolution.
With DLSS being integrated int UE4 and growth in acceptance of DLSS on PC games, almost any dev can hit that with DLSS. Completely different situaiton

Basides even if not all games hit that, DLSS will improve image quality a great deal. I'd think 2K/60 demanding games would be quite common with DLSS support. 4k/60 for games that really push for it.
Yeah, I basically agree with the post I quoted at the end lf the day. DLSS seems like the best scaling solution over CBR, and less expensive from a rendering standpoint, so it would make sense. Maybe the dock could have a DLSS enabling chip?

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean - I am probably in but this is going to be really expensive. It will suck to spend $400 on a refresh for a console potentially five years after its release. I'll have to see. I am excited, though.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Perfectly ok with 720p in handheld in order to maintain good battery life. Hope we get some FPS boosts mostly. I'd buy a few games again like Links Awakening if it keeps a steady 60fps.

Sure but what I mean is there's significantly less incentive to upgrade for the portable experience. The enhancements vs OG Switch are going to overwhelmingly on the TV side.
I'm not sure that's really true when there are so many games out there that are struggling to hit 720p in handheld mode. Yeah, the gains are comparatively more marginal compared to what docked will offer, but it sure as hell won't be none.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna be $399 easily. Maybe $349 if they decide to drop the current switch to $249, but with the way it's selling why would they?
Yup. $399, sold alongside the unchanged current Switch as a more expensive premium model, just like how the DSi/DSi XL existed to boost average selling price over the DS lite that they continued to be sold alongside.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When he spoke of mass shortages he said half of what was delivered.

He said NX will run their own smartphone games, industry leading chips and he keeps bringing up the switch pro for 2 years. PS5 struggling with price and shortages

Above
I don't know why me not believing is such a big issue.

One of your examples of him being wrong is that he said... PS5 has shortages?

... Alright.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I basically agree with the post I quoted at the end lf the day. DLSS seems like the best scaling solution over CBR, and less expensive from a rendering standpoint, so it would make sense. Maybe the dock could have a DLSS enabling chip?
nah. it would introduce added latency that would defeat the purpose of DLSS. it'll be on the SoC itself

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Handheld could use DLSS to go from 360p to 720p which would a) increase battery b) give room to improve framerates c) extra effects, better shadows etc - its literally pointless using it for resolution when the difference would be imperceptible but that doesn't mean it stays the same
But that's not going to happen because they're not going to have the portable mode have better performance or effects in comparison to docked. It also doesn't make sense for that to happen when games will still be developed with the OG Switch(and its existing 720p screen) in mind.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get the disappointment at 720p but they are most assuredly doing it for battery life, which I would gladly take over a higher res screen. I'll enjoy the 4k DLSS bump when I play it docked.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
What's he been wrong about over "his years of reporting" to warrant such comments? To my mind, he's one of the most reliable reporters in the industry.

And for those keeping score, this isn't his first article about a 4K Switch either.
There's nothing. They just don't like the news he brings

Status
Not open for further replies.