• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can both of these be correct? That there is not enough screen hardware to fully replace the current V2 Switch with a revision and/or is there not enough Mariko chips to sustain a V2 Switch?

Oct 27, 2017
What's the exact purpose of a Slim version for a PS console? For the PS consumer it is mostly just a slimmer version and nothing else (as far as I know), here it would be for the consumer a better screen supposedly, even better battery life (if Mariko is unchanged), and a checkmark on the 4K upscaling front (which will be better than at least some TVs). In both cases the manufacturer gets lower overall costs (For Nintendo screen maybe the same, other parts maybe less?).
The purpose of slim models is the same as Lite Switch, budget consumers.

it cuts costs while also allowing console maker to price it profitable for future limited time sales. PS4 slim went $299 in 9/2016 and was $200 on Black Friday 2 months later. While retailers take a loss on that, I imagine it wasn't huge.

the idea is you design your slim model to cost a bit less than MSRP, for either minor profits or break even, and then you can do major limited time sale events where the console maker takes a bigger loss but only from 500k-1M sales. During these sales consumers typically buy a lot of software tho to go with these new systems, subs too, so I think it more than makes up for it.

tho Nintendo is different since they rarely do limited time sales for switch so far

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Can both of these be correct? That there is not enough screen hardware to fully replace the current V2 Switch with a revision and/or is there not enough Mariko chips to sustain a V2 Switch?

I mean, both could be right but I think you're looking at it backwards. It's not that they can't get enough screens to replace the V2 Switch with a V3 Switch, but more like their plans for when they begin acquiring screens and at what volumes indicates that it's not going to be for a V2 Switch replacement.

Mariko is a whole other ballgame, we have no idea if they did stop production or will soon, there are some rumors to that effect but they're not crystal clear at the moment.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I guess we see when we see. The Switch Pro has been rumoured for so long and with the insiders saying that devkits are going around I am quite sure the stronger Switch is definitly coming at some point. The question is when we start getting devkit leaks if they are around already cause I guess that will happen at some point.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
What are the chances it can improve the framerate and resolution of games that are not really good, I'm talking stable 30fps and improving sub-native resolution

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still a bit confused on what's going on in here

As a starting point we have Bloomberg's article saying they're targeting 2021, and that we can expect a 7" OLED and 4K in Docked. Off the back of that article we now have two camps of discussion:

(1) We have Matt, Imran, Nate (and others) saying there's dev kits out. Nate saying he's got no reason at the moment to assume DLSS is not in. Imran saying expect the focus to be on improving framerates and resolutions (i.e. don't view this as a successor). Matt telling folks it's 'neat', it's not the same chip, and essentially saying it's a must-own for Switch avids.

(2) Then we have DF saying they expect a revision with no changes other than OLED - same Tegra X1, 4GB RAM. They're effectively marrying Aula as was datamined, with the Bloomberg report. As the basis of their discussion is that the system is using an unchanged SoC, DLSS is only talked about in how it's unlikely because it's not something you can achieve by just slapping a chip in the dock.

_______

(2) Is an educated discussion as we can expect from DF, but makes no indication that they're informed of, or basing it on non-public details in the same way that (1) is. If we assume (1) is real, and we have zero reason to doubt that right now, then it feels like there's no evidence of (2). Bloomberg is reporting on one device, not two.

Edit: The only thing I'm a bit disappointed on right now is talks that this revision could slip into 2022. Getting pretty tired of my current model... :|

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Look guys its not that complicated. Just think Dragon Ball:

Sayan
Super Sayan
Super Sayan 2/3
Super Sayan God
Super Sayan Blue
Ultra Instinct

This naming convention clearly illustrates the new Switch models soon to come out.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm still a bit confused on what's going on in here

As a starting point we have Bloomberg's article saying they're targeting 2021, and that we can expect a 7" OLED and 4K in Docked. Off the back of that article we now have two camps of discussion:

(1) We have Matt, Imran, Nate (and others) saying there's dev kits out. Nate saying he's got no reason at the moment to assume DLSS is not in. Imran saying expect the focus to be on improving framerates and resolutions (i.e. don't view this as a successor). Matt telling folks it's 'neat', it's not the same chip, and essentially saying it's a must-own for Switch avids.

(2) Then we have DF saying they expect a revision with no changes other than OLED - same Tegra X1, 4GB RAM. They're effectively marrying Aula as was datamined, with the Bloomberg report. As the basis of their discussion is that the system is using an unchanged SoC, DLSS is only talked about in how it's unlikely because it's not something you can achieve by just slapping a chip in the dock.

_______

(2) Is an educated discussion as we can expect from DF, but makes no indication that they're informed of, or basing it on non-public details in the same way that (1) is. If we assume (1) is real, and we have zero reason to doubt that right now, then it feels like there's no evidence of (2). Bloomberg is reporting on one device, not two.

Edit: The only thing I'm a bit disappointed on right now is talks that this revision could slip into 2022. Getting pretty tired of my current model... :|

I mean, a lot of what DF was saying is speculation based off of Nintendo's history.

The others have talked about what they've seen/heard.

I like DF, but I have no reason to assume Imran, Matt, and Nate are being dishonest here. I'm feeling the initial comments that this is more than just a simple screen swap and such.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Look guys its not that complicated. Just think Dragon Ball:

Sayan
Super Sayan
Super Sayan 2/3
Super Sayan God
Super Sayan Blue
Ultra Instinct

This naming convention clearly illustrates the new Switch models soon to come out.
Can someone tell me what level of power the OG Switch is and what the Switch Pro would be in terms of Dragon Ball power levels :P

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I mean, a lot of what DF was saying is speculation based off of Nintendo's history.

The others have talked about what they've seen/heard.

I like DF, but I have no reason to assume Imran, Matt, and Nate are being dishonest here. I'm feeling the initial comments that this is more than just a simple screen swap and such.

Well, they are clearly speculating, which I think makes dishonesty kinda impossible?

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Is all of the recent uncertainty because of the DF video? Isn't one of those guys a prominent poster here? Maybe he can clarify if their comments are based on insider information or pure speculation

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they are clearly speculating, which I think makes dishonesty kinda impossible?

??

Digital Foundry are speculating. Matt, Nate, Imran etc. are not. They're opening up on things they know. Speculation from them would probably just be around release timing, any features they haven't heard of yet, positioning of the device long term, and whether the Bloomberg article is describing the same device they know about.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They saw no evidence of a Switch Pro but did find evidence of a Switch revision with an OLED display but same internals in terms of power. The details were revealed through a Switch update source code mine. Seems pretty definitive to me but who knows. Just a guess.

That datamine has been known for a year. There is nothing suggesting it is a retail product, similarly to the Copper and Calcio profiles datamined.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

??

Digital Foundry are speculating. Matt, Nate, Imran etc. are not. They're opening up on things they know. Speculation from them would probably just be around release timing, any features they haven't heard of yet, positioning of the device long term, and whether the Bloomberg article is describing the same device they know about.
I think df knows more but due to the podcast nature and their position it was easier to speculate on widely known details

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah I don't know. Digital Foundry's response was rather disappointing because they are extremely reliable and they seemed mostly convinced that a Switch Pro 4K system is not in development. I hope this is one of those rare cases where they are wrong and everyone else is right.

That being said a 4K DLSS enabled Switch sounds to good to be true. Was pleasantly surprised by the rumors so I won't be surprised if it just doesn't happen. Time will tell.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is WUST that people keep saying?
200.gif

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Still have no fucking clue what you guys are on about. Though I was at the old place for a long ass time before the move. No idea what it means lol.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Still have no fucking clue what you guys are on about. Though I was at the old place for a long ass time before the move. No idea what it means lol.
Was just the Wii U Speculation Thread. Power estimates were all over the place and people chose sides. Ended in tears for all.

A lot of the Switch Pro threads before this remind me of that, but with less "insider" knowledge.

Fifth Element Wii U Gif
Still one of my favorites.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
To be clear: I have not changed my stance on things. I amended expectations to be open to the idea that Aula could be the Bloomberg model; but remain 100% confident that the new SoC + DLSS equipped Switch is coming.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Haha just didn't know the acronym. Def remember when the Fifth Element gif was made though lol. Good times.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Very unlikely. 1M OLED screens a month starting in June would not be enough for a replacement launch this year. It only makes sense for a supplemental revision, which Aula is very unlikely to be.

Not that I'm buying it necessarily, but Nintendo has used multiple screen manufacturers for the same model devices before. Any reason they can't with them OLED? Serious question btw.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely sure Nate is sincere and right
I just suspect that with an updates OG version and a possible actual upgrade in development,.things could have been mixed up
At least in terms of timings

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when everyone wanted to chip in money so we could see the Wii u gpu close up and they showed it to us for free anyways and that was the beginning of the end

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Remember when everyone wanted to chip in money so we could see the Wii u gpu close up and they showed it to us for free anyways and that was the beginning of the end

I remember...I was there...I saw it all....Idea Man's padlet stories...the hype...the low ball side...and then the 5 stages of grief when Nintendo undercut even the lowest of all expectations. Together we argued, united we fell.

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
I don't expect two models, tbh. If anything, I expect a red box scenario with OLED screens once the actual revision hits the shelves. Until X1 production is halted in the future, that is.

I can see them using the same OLED to depend of one supplier only, and they kinda did something similar when the Mariko SoC was used for both the Lite and the red box Switch. I don't see them giving any fanfare to this hypothetical model tho, even if the actual revision ends up slipping into 2022 Q1.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

??

I was specifically referring to df.

Status
Not open for further replies.