• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If someone has a 7" tablet they could watch this to get a rough idea how different render resolutions would look at that size. (Your phone may give you some idea also)

set the video itself to 1440p if you can for the best bitrate

youtu.be

Zelda Breath of the Wild CEMU - GTX 750 ti - i3 8100 - G4560 - 1080p - 900p - 720p - Emulator

Want to directly support my work?https://streamlabs.com/santiagosantiago11/tip-- If you want to support me:Get Warhammer Vermintide 2, Earth Defense Force 4....

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone complaining about a 720p screen is insane or actually, what is more obvious, they actually can't tell differences in resolution on a 7" screen because they seem to think that their phone is displaying games at native res when they are way blow that lol

Jesus christ...

Calm down, heh. It's perfectly normal to be unimpressed with 720p in 2021. I'm literally a video producer for my day job, and I'm not pulling my disappointment out of thin air for the sake of console warz. I was just hoping for 1080p. That's all.

This isn't a personal attack.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
720p is still really nice to me. But I've yet to experience a resolution higher than 1080p.
The first time you experience 4k is pretty mindblowing with the right content.

Playing the Witcher 3 and AC Unity with a GTX 1070 on a 65" screen back in 2015 blew me away.
Evohp17XYAYNfZg

I don't know if anyone posted this kind of render. But I've tried to see what a 7" screen would look like with the exact same form factor and it'd be a very very borderless design.

Keeping the same form factor could be great for accessory compatibility (especially for joycon)
Looks like enough space for the the speakers to still remain in the same place.

The audio on the Switch lite (imo) is rouuugh; so quiet because of where it's positioned.

Calm down, heh. It's perfectly normal to be unimpressed with 720p in 2021.
I think it's more about using logic here though. 1080p just doesn't make sense; you then end up with what we have now where barely any games actually hit native res.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I came into this thread thinking most of the discussion would be positive and about how awesome 4k Nintendo games would be. Instead, it's a mixed bag, mostly focused on the handheld screen. I'm legitimately surprised.

Most Switch owners I know always played it more at home than on the go, and especially so in 2020/2021 with most of us stuck at home. And as others have pointed out, isn't a 7" 720p OLED screen still pretty fuckin great?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Whilst 720p isn't ideal. It'll have a significant battery saving. Which is more desirable.

Those who say they can't tell the difference however should get glasses.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I think it's more about using logic here though. 1080p just doesn't make sense; you then end up with what we have now where barely any games actually hit native res.

I mean, isn't this hardware update including some sort of scaling solution/DLSS?

Getting double the sharpness while portable would be doable, if the hardware is going to be able to leap up top 4K when docked.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst 720p isn't ideal. It'll have a significant battery saving. Which is more desirable.

Those who say they can't tell the difference however should get glasses.
It's no ideal for a media device, but the Switch isn't a media device. Phone games in 3D don't even run at 1080p, so the hand wringing is kind of obscene.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be a bloodbath to snag one of these at launch isnt it. I still havent gotten a PS5 yet. Fuck

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie I'm kind of hype for NES/SNES games to be rendered at native 4K with perfect integer upscaling LMAO

Also lol, people thought MH Rise ran native 720p handheld when it really runs at 540p with a sharpening filter (UI elements being 720p). Even BotW, which I think is one of the sharpest looking games in portable mode, uses a dynamic res in handheld - now imagining that at a locked 720p30 (or 60!) on an OLED screen has me all kinds of excited. Not to mention games like Xenoblade DE which can drop lower than 480p in handheld can now target the native screen res and no longer look like they're smeared in vaseline (all of this is assuming an improved SoC which I expect).

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4k for what? For the Netflix app they don't have? Or maybe for their home screen at 720p?

Before of the end of the year and such small quantity is certainly disappointing. But let's hope they fix the joycon now. Third time is the charm.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I mean, isn't this hardware update including some sort of scaling solution/DLSS?

Getting double the sharpness while portable would be doable, if the hardware is going to be able to leap up top 4K when docked.
A 1080p screen would also increase the overall power consumption. That might have been a factor too.

I actually said something like this many years ago but I figured that Nintendo would ride out lower resolutions like 720p because they still look great in handheld. Once you hit a certain threshold it doesn't become as important. Besides, it sounds like they're supporting 4k in docked mode

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down, heh. It's perfectly normal to be unimpressed with 720p in 2021.

Nobody really cares whether or not you're unimpressed or disappointed, the reason people keep responding to you is that you keep ignoring or dismissing their arguments and you don't really seem to understand that the goals of a gaming device are extremely different from that of a phone.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the OG switch games to get a resolution/fps boost. Pretty sure you could count the pixels on XC2 handheld mode.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
I disagree, Nintendo absolutely can sell products at a loss, since they have many more products that are highly profitable. I'm not arguing whether they SHOULD do so, but it's not correct to say they can't sell one product at a loss.
Nintendo has always made way way more profit (except in 2012) than Xbox and Playstation because they never sold hatdware at a loss. The Gamecube was several times more profitable than the PS2. With a mid gen model it's maybe different when you already know it's successful, but had they been selling the Wii U at a loss they might have gone bankrupt. When launching a new console Nintendo doesn't always know wether it will be successful, they can't take the risk. Only in recent years their mobile revenue poses as a safety net. They could sell this new model at a loss, but they won't.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
A 1080p screen would also increase the overall power consumption. That might have been a factor too.

I actually said something like this many years ago but I figured that Nintendo would ride out lower resolutions like 720p because they still look great in handheld. Once you hit a certain threshold it doesn't become as important. Besides, it sounds like they're supporting 4k in docked mode

Y'know what? If this is $300, I think I'd be totally ok with the 720 res.

$400, and I'll probably wish it was 1080 moreso.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ...

Calm down, heh. It's perfectly normal to be unimpressed with 720p in 2021. I'm literally a video producer for my day job, and I'm not pulling my disappointment out of thin air for the sake of console warz. I was just hoping for 1080p. That's all.

Haha sure. Just weird you seem to think your smartphone is banging out games at 1080p+ when it isn't? Maybe you're not as sensitive to resolution as you think - so you're disappointment isn't necessary :)

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Nobody really cares whether or not you're unimpressed or disappointed, the reason people keep responding to you is that you keep ignoring or dismissing their arguments and you don't really seem to understand that the goals of a gaming device are extremely different from that of a phone.

I think the notion that "nobody cares what I think" is a pretty ridiculous jab to make on a video game message board where we're all sharing subjective opinions.

I'm hip to the OLED upgrade, but bummed about it being 720p. Try not to get too angry that I share my sentiment.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread really don't like hearing other's disappointment, huh?
Being disappointed it's totally fair game, imo.
People coming in here bragging about how their phone has a 4K screen while shitting on the Pro's 720p one when they don't even factor what Switch is able to accomplish for $300 vs a $500-1000 phone is a whole different story..

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Jesus christ...

You....do understand the reasons why they choose to keep the resolution at 720p portable right?

VirtuaCider

May 15, 2020
1080 would be nice, but if 720 means games are forced to be designed to be easily readable at 7 inches, that'll be nice too. I've tried playing PS5 remote play on mobile, and it's great EXCEPT that the high-res design of games makes UI annoyingly small.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Being disappointed it's totally fair game, imo.
People coming in here bragging about how their phone has a 4K screen while shitting on the Pro's 720p one when they don't even factor what Switch is able to accomplish for $300 vs a $500-1000 phone is a whole different story..

Yeah, I think expecting 4K portable for what's like to be a $300-400 device is irrational.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the notion that "nobody cares what I think" is a pretty ridiculous jab to make on a video game message board where we're all sharing subjective opinions.

I'm hip to the OLED upgrade, but bummed about it being 720p. Try not to get too angry that I share my sentiment.

.... again, nobody is angry or upset that you're sharing your disappointment. At all. That's not what is prompting these responses.

What is prompting these responses is that you don't seem willing to actually learn or understand the reasoning here, and that you keep comparing it to phones when many of us have told you many times now that those comparisons are extremely illogical. It seems like you're not interested in a good faith discussion so I'll stop responding.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Because of two things, phones don´t even do that when gaming.

Two, if it was possible, the price would go up exponentially.

This are the things we have been saying.

I'm not convinced a 1080 portable gaming device isn't possible or would be $700 or something, is all. I think Nintendo's battery efficiency from 4 years back shows they'd do a good job balancing a resolution increase to 1080p.

That's really it. I just assumed they were going to target 1080 for portable resolution.

My guess is they'll do it for the next one.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I'm not convinced a 1080 portable gaming device isn't possible or would be $700 or something, is all. I think Nintendo's battery efficiency from 4 years back shows they'd do a good job balancing a resolution increase to 1080p.

That's really it. I just assumed they were going to target 1080 for portable resolution.
I believe that Xcloud right now is 720p.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
This device probably won't be for me because I play essentially docked and I don't have a 4K TV, but it is always exciting to know that there is new hardware on the horizon. In addition, the BoTW sequel will most likely be used as a showcase for this new version of the Switch. Exciting times ahead!

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I came into this thread thinking most of the discussion would be positive and about how awesome 4k Nintendo games would be. Instead, it's a mixed bag, mostly focused on the handheld screen. I'm legitimately surprised.

Most Switch owners I know always played it more at home than on the go, and especially so in 2020/2021 with most of us stuck at home. And as others have pointed out, isn't a 7" 720p OLED screen still pretty fuckin great?
I can only speak for myself but I basically always play it handheld. I keep the charging dock on my desk by my pc, not hooked up to my tv in the living room. If switch did output 4K that might be different, but I don't like the feeling of 720p-ish/30fps gameplay of many games on my big 65" 4K screen so I haven't left it hooked up there.

And I think the current-size switch is already riding the line of bare minimum pixel density, so Nintendo increasing the size, but not the resolution is worrying.

Last edited:

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
Nintendo has always made way way more profit (except in 2012) than Xbox and Playstation because they never sold hatdware at a loss. The Gamecube was several times more profitable than the PS2. With a mid gen model it's maybe different when you already know it's successful, but had they been selling the Wii U at a loss they might have gone bankrupt. When launching a new console Nintendo doesn't always know wether it will be successful, they can't take the risk. Only in recent years their mobile revenue poses as a safety net. They could sell this new model at a loss, but they won't.

Right, like I said I'm not arguing whether they will or won't sell at a loss. I just wanted to point out that they could, and that saying they "can't" is incorrect.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
If someone has a 7" tablet they could watch this to get a rough idea how different render resolutions would look at that size. (Your phone may give you some idea also)

youtu.be

Zelda Breath of the Wild CEMU - GTX 750 ti - i3 8100 - G4560 - 1080p - 900p - 720p - Emulator

Want to directly support my work?https://streamlabs.com/santiagosantiago11/tip-- If you want to support me:Get Warhammer Vermintide 2, Earth Defense Force 4....

Thanks, I can now safely say, I almost don't see any difference between 900p and 1080p and the difference to 720p seems minimal to me.
Don't see a reason to complain.

Oct 28, 2017
$399 would kind of sting, but I guess that's what I'm expecting as well.

The dock doesn't have to do anything. DLSS is done via the GPU.
Probably also less then $399 as well.

I did not mention DLSS although I know that is the narrative moving forward. As for the price, Unless you guys are expected a price drop on the OG Switch for the holidays or some such, there seems to be little reason not to market this a a premium device. Maybe if you are dropping the OG to $249.99 and the Lite to $179.99 than maybe the Switch Advance could come in at $349.99

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Plenty of other reasons to send out a new dev kit. Maybe there's updated HD rumble, maybe there's a new networking chip, maybe there's a built in microphone now, maybe they went and added a front facing camera.
Doesn´t the Switch has voice chat, it´s just that they don´t activate it? Fortnite has it somehow. Maybe someone can clarify.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Why does the screen need to be 1080p? Switch games are designed to run at 720p max, and most of them don't even hit that target. If a pro can get games to run at native resolution then they'll look much better. Not to mention that having the benefits of an OLED screen (contrast, brightness, saturation, black levels etc...) will do far more for image quality than pixel count. People are just obsessed with numbers I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.