• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for my tired work brain you are meaning DLSS via the SoC and not some dock amalgamation correct?
DLSS can't work in the dock due to potential latency penalties

Which is your actual take on the matter?
Too much smoke for a Pro not to be real (or we're looking a a bigger scuttlebutt than Star Fox Racing). Aula, at best, is a prettier screen revision. At worse, something they thought about but abandoned liked the docked only switch

Honestly, there's no reason for Aula to have gotten as much traction as it had. It's not even new, the name just is

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Could we be discussing Switch revision and Switch 2 at the same time?

The PS4 level Switch with DLSS always sounded to me as a proper succesor...

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I know Nintendo has done wacky things in the past, but I really don't see them releasing two iterative models within the same fiscal year. Why are people conviced the Aula model is real? Who's to say that Bloomberg didn't get mixed information regarding the launch window of just the Pro model (outdated information, calendar vs fiscal, assumptions from source, etc.)?

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware based, so, yes, the SoC. It won't be handled by the dock.

Do you really expect a "new SoC" Switch (By new i mean something not based on the existing SoC, Mario X1, but a true successor and more powerful!) is releasing this year, considering we are in quite a silicon shortage AND the OG Switch selling really well? I can see them refreshing the OG Model with the new screen and squeeze some more battery out of it and rely on an easier to produce X1 Mariko chip wich they still could have good amounts of stock. I don't see them launching a Switch with a completely new SoC this year.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
It is semantic... Nintendo is always careful before introducing a new hardware ... replacement or not that is the question
Exactly. The idea that Pro is is a confusing shorthand that either means somewhat more capable vs way more capable bugs me too.

The big semantic is if it's a replacement or if it supplements the current models. After that, we can argue whether or not it is enough of a capability increase or not.

I think this is probably a replacement and the current models get discontinued.

There's also to be discussed whether there will be a Deluxe model - think nicer screen, metal body, more storage maybe. Again, I don't like the moniker Deluxe, but I haven't yet found a better word.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
That would be like ps4 pro and ps5 releasing within the same 12 months that doesn't sound right at all

The DSi XL (Wich had bigger screens than the DSi, rest of the hardware was the same) launched litteraly 12 month before the OG 3DS in Europe. It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo actually did this in a 12 Month timespan on a successful console.

DSi XL -> 5th March 2010
OG 3DS -> 25th March 2011

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Do you really expect a "new SoC" Switch (By new i mean something not based on the existing SoC, Mario X1, but a true successor and more powerful!) is releasing this year, considering we are in quite a silicon shortage AND the OG Switch selling really well? I can see them refreshing the OG Model with the new screen and squeeze some more battery out of it and rely on an easier to produce X1 Mariko chip wich they still could have good amounts of stock. I don't see them launching a Switch with a completely new SoC this year.
I do believe it'll be announced the coming FY. The plan was to release this year, but I suspect it'll be delayed into 2022. Delays can, and will, continue to be an every changing variable in figuring out when we'll hear about it and see it.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
A higher priced premium model does make sense to be honest. They can add some neat stuff to the OG model too like a better screen and a 4K dock. They probably will redesign the joycons too and maybe add some new elements tot them. They might even add in a camera for all we know. I remember earlier reports talking about new interactive elements.

pricing seems key here. This pro model looks like it won't be in the 300 range. Probably more like 400. They will want to keep the OG Switch around at 300 or a little less or they upgrade the OG to offer a nice middle ground between the pro and lite.

Last edited:

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
I do believe it'll be announced the coming FY. The plan was to release this year, but I suspect it'll be delayed into 2022. Delays can, and will, continue to be an every changing variable in figuring out when we'll hear about it and see it.

I agree on the announcenemt part. It will likely be announced this FY. But if its releasing 2022, it'll likely be at the end of it.

Oct 27, 2017
A higher priced premium model does make sense to be honest. They can add some neat stuff to the OG model too like a better screen and a 4K dock. They probably will redesign the joycons too and maybe add some new elements tot them. They might even add in a camera for all we know. I remember earlier reports talking about new interactive elements.
Why do people still think they're going to have a dock with HW in it?

Oct 30, 2017

That is an absolute nightmare, but I get it. Was really hoping that it would be a this year release, my OG is getting a little bit worse for wear as many others have pointed out. Completely get the logic here as well, nothing, more than ever, is sticking to a release schedule. My biggest hope is that when it is officially announced and goes live for sale that I can actually buy one in a "normal" manner.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I mean, a lot of what DF was saying is speculation based off of Nintendo's history.

The others have talked about what they've seen/heard.

I like DF, but I have no reason to assume Imran, Matt, and Nate are being dishonest here. I'm feeling the initial comments that this is more than just a simple screen swap and such.

Yeah, but Nintendo's history carries a lot of weight - especially recent history like Mariko. They could have enabled higher clock speeds or added more performance profiles, but instead they chose to use the efficiency gains for longer battery life. In a handful cases there's some faster loading times, but they've never really called attention to that. DF knows this very well.

If they expand the product line, it'll be focused on specific changes that are obvious (e.g. Switch XL with bigger screen at a higher price). If they update components, it'll be changes that benefit them (e.g. cheaper chips, fewer parts, etc). It's certainly possible they do both too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm buying it necessarily, but Nintendo has used multiple screen manufacturers for the same model devices before. Any reason they can't with them OLED? Serious question btw.

The OLED ones Bloomberg are talking about are 7 inches, so they can't just have them as part of a screen lottery.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Devkits are already out. Manufacturing is scheduled for June. There is no way it is a Fall 2022 release.

Folks are thinking it'll be a March 2022 release, if it slips. Personally, I think Nintendo is absolutely fine with launching with a small amount of stock and letting the shortages fuel hype. So, November still makes sense to me given the manufacturing timeline.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Folks are thinking it'll be a March 2022 release, if it slips. Personally, I think Nintendo is absolutely fine with launching with a small amount of stock and letting the shortages fuel hype. So, November still makes sense to me given the manufacturing timeline.
Yea 2-3 million is more than enough to launch a new system esp since it's not the only switch for sell, people will also have a switch and switch lite to choose from. Even 1 million switch pros might be enough

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
Devkits are already out. Manufacturing is scheduled for June. There is no way it is a Fall 2022 release.

June is the date for the production of the screens, going by the report in the OP. Not a new Switch. Also, not to "piss of" anyone but as long as i don't hear "dev kits are out" from a more reliable source or better, SOURCES! and not some forum users, i find it hard to believe. There is hardly any smoke, so i have a hard tome believing there is an actual fire. Once things heated up on the OG Switch, there was ALOT more smoke once the dev kits we're out, even to the point where Eurogamer nailed the entire device. NOT saying it's not happening, i just find it hard to believe with the *CURRENT* few sources claiming that.

Thugstas

Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Exactly. The idea that Pro is is a confusing shorthand that either means somewhat more capable vs way more capable bugs me too.

The big semantic is if it's a replacement or if it supplements the current models. After that, we can argue whether or not it is enough of a capability increase or not.

I think this is probably a replacement and the current models get discontinued.

There's also to be discussed whether there will be a Deluxe model - think nicer screen, metal body, more storage maybe. Again, I don't like the moniker Deluxe, but I haven't yet found a better word.
We are at 4 years ... the revision/pro/successor will arrive at 5 ... when they say switch is at the middle of the lifespan... means that Nintendo's could release a new hard and continue to support both hard for three years for the OG ( ie: ps4 to ps5... lots of exemple ).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people still think they're going to have a dock with HW in it?
That was in the Aula speculation I think. A chip in the dock for 4K upscaling. I think Thractor made a few posts on the subject that made a lot of sense to me.
Basically you would have a OG Switch with 4K upscaling while the premium model does the real stuff. A good way to have an effective price strategy I think because if you're doing a premium model it might as well be the best it can be and be priced higher.

Oct 27, 2017
That was in the Aula speculation I think. A chip in the dock for 4K upscaling. I think Thractor made a few posts on the subject that made a lot of sense to me.
Basically you would have a OG Switch with 4K upscaling while the premium model does the real stuff. A good way to have an effective price strategy I think because if you're doing a premium model it might as well be the best it can be and be priced higher.
How would the dock handle upscaling with the OG Switch? The only port it has to connect them is USB-C which I'm pretty sure I've read in some posts in here, wouldn't have the bandwidth required

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
June is the date for the production of the screens, going by the report in the OP. Not a new Switch. Also, not to "piss of" anyone but as long as i don't hear "dev kits are out" from a more reliable source or better, SOURCES! and not some forum users, i find it hard to believe. There is hardly any smoke, so i have a hard tome believing there is an actual fire. Once things heated up on the OG Switch, there was ALOT more smoke once the dev kits we're out, even to the point where Eurogamer nailed the entire device. NOT saying it's not happening, i just find it hard to believe with the *CURRENT* few sources claiming that.

I agree.

At this point there's just not enough out there from the right sources that make me believe anything.

Add to that the history Nintendo have, and even the Presidents recent comments about finding new ways to play, that I find it hard to believe a new console will be arriving that increases power to the levels some people are saying.

I mean I've seen some people saying Breath of the wild and the sequel will be 60fps etc.

If I was betting on a performance increase I'd expect games like breath of the wild to be a solid 30fps at a slightly higher resolution, or games like Bowsers fury being locked 60fps docked as opposed to the frame rate drops we have now.

I can believe the screen aspect though, it would make sense for Nintendo to source a cheaper screen with the added benefit of being larger. While oled has clear advantages being a self emissive technology I don't think Nintendo would go Oled to satisfy enthusiasts wanting better black levels lol.

You mention eurogamer, and it's interesting going back in time.

In July 2016 they stated:

www.google.co.uk

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confi…

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required

That is the kind of spec leak I'm waiting for. Not all this smoke and mirrors we are getting (and people forget) we have been getting for nearly 2 years!

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
One thing I'm not getting from the theory that this revision might just entail a screen change but keep the same chipset. Why a new devkit then? Would it really need it unless it was significantly different to the original switch?

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

At this point there's just not enough out there from the right sources that make me believe anything.

Add to that the history Nintendo have, and even the Presidents recent comments about finding new ways to play, that I find it hard to believe a new console will be arriving that increases power to the levels some people are saying.

I mean I've seen some people saying Breath of the wild and the sequel will be 60fps etc.

If I was betting on a performance increase I'd expect games like breath of the wild to be a solid 30fps at a slightly higher resolution, or games like Bowsers fury being locked 60fps docked as opposed to the frame rate drops we have now.

I can believe the screen aspect though, it would make sense for Nintendo to source a cheaper screen with the added benefit of being larger. While oled has clear advantages being a self emissive technology I don't think Nintendo would go Oled to satisfy enthusiasts wanting better black levels lol.

You mention eurogamer, and it's interesting going back in time.

In July 2016 they stated:

www.google.co.uk

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confi…

And that was 3 Month before the reveal aswell. If we assume they'd announce a Pro model this summer (E3) for a Holidiay 2021 release, we should have alot more smoke pointing to a "Pro" Switch.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm not getting from the theory that this revision might just entail a screen change but keep the same chipset. Why a new devkit then? Would it really need it unless it was significantly different to the original switch?

I don't even buy the dev kits are new, OR they are legit but it's really early HW for a Holiday 2022 release.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
We are at 4 years ... the revision/pro/successor will arrive at 5 ... when they say switch is at the middle of the lifespan... means that Nintendo's could release a new hard and continue to support both hard for three years for the OG ( ie: ps4 to ps5... lots of exemple ).
Right. That's pretty much what I expect. I think the roll of Switch 2/Pro/Advance/64/Super/Color/Lite/i/Cube/U games that won't also run on the original Switch will ramp up over time. I expect almost all games that aren't AAA demanding to work on both for quite a time to come.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
How would the dock handle upscaling with the OG Switch? The only port it has to connect them is USB-C which I'm pretty sure I've read in some posts in here, wouldn't have the bandwidth required
I meant to say the revision (aula model). It's hard to find fitting names for these but the older models will probably be replaced by a new Switch model with a oled screen and 4k dock and next to that there will be a higher priced pro model with a bigger oled screen and more horsepower and premium materials. Like the Ipad of the Switch family.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I meant to say the revision (aula model). It's hard to find fitting names for these but the older models will probably be replaced by a new Switch model with a oled screen and 4k dock and next to that there will be a higher priced pro model with a bigger oled screen and more horsepower and premium materials. Like the Ipad of the Switch family.
I disagree with the idea of a model with more horsepower alongside the normal unless it's the same as the regular model, but with cooling to support docked clocks. Burn the battery, I want 60fps.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, that does clearly seem to indicate Switch console tools development. That's not surprising, of course: I don't think anyone really expected NVIDIA not to be the developers behind the next Switch system. What I'm wondering is whether it would relate to an imminent device (1 year time span) or if this position is for 3-4 years out.

Perhaps we could compare something similar to the time before Switch launched? Did they hire such tools engineers 1 year before Switch release, or 3-4 years before? Doctre81 do you happen to know if something similar happened before the Switch launch?
Not a tool engineer but I did find a listing for a UX designer for a game console posting from nvidia about one month before switch was first shown

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
And that was 3 Month before the reveal aswell. If we assume they'd announce a Pro model this summer (E3) for a Holidiay 2021 release, we should have alot more smoke pointing to a "Pro" Switch.

See where I am at is that I believe Nintendo WILL be releasing a revised Switch.

It also makes sense that they would release it during this fiscal year.

I just have very low expectations as to the power increases.

While nothing outrageous has been suggested I am expecting even lower than what the rumours point to.

Not a tool engineer but I did find a listing for a UX designer for a game console posting from nvidia about one month before switch was first shown

Ah so this was you :)

That is certainly interesting, and the game console surely only relates to Nintendo.

rich and loamy crossword

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll launch this year as a premium model in limited stock IMO. And the price will be higher.

Nintendo charged more for the 3DS XL and DSi XL both other the standard model when they came out, this will be $349.99 minimum even if it was a small hardware upgrade. In Nintendo's view a larger screen (OLED no less) is itself a reason to charge more.

There's no point in waiting ages to have enough stock to replace the entire Switch production line, that just doesn't make a lot of sense. DS Lite was around a long time after DSi came out, the regular 3DS was made for a while after 3DS XL.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
The OLED ones Bloomberg are talking about are 7 inches, so they can't just have them as part of a screen lottery.

Why couldn't they add multiple manufacturers to produce the 7 inch OLED screens? I was originally thinking about this when people were wondering if they could have enough stock for the end of 2021. They do it for the current Switch screen and did for the 3DS iirc. Some are produced in Japan and some outside.

Edit: honest question because I honestly do not know if there is a reason they can't that I'm just not aware of.

Nov 1, 2020
Could be. They announced the Wii U at E3 2011 just to release it in November 2012. Who knows what Nintendos real plans are?
Certainly that's one example. Another that one could point to would be the New 3DS releasing in Japan within 2 months of announcement. Not that I'm really going anywhere with this...
But one could wonder if there's correlation between that behavior and how Nintendo intends to treat a device as a 'revision' or 'successor'. Or it's just coincidental and there's nothing more to see.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
How big of a problem is oled burn in? Have they managed to minimize the chances of that occurring?

Oct 25, 2017
How bout a Switch 2

and...

A more conventional PS5/XSX type true next gen Nintendo Console with a more conventional controller and modern online functions

I can dream right? :P

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't they add multiple manufacturers to produce the 7 inch OLED screens? I was originally thinking about this when people were wondering if they could have enough stock for the end of 2021. They do it for the current Switch screen and did for the 3DS iirc. Some are produced in Japan and some outside.

Edit: honest question because I honestly do not know if there is a reason they can't that I'm just not aware of.
How many other vendors are there that make 720p OLED screens? Honest question, I have no idea.

I suppose you could be right, but I would think Bloomberg would have mentioned that they might have other screen suppliers too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many other vendors are there that make 720p OLED screens? Honest question, I have no idea.

I suppose you could be right, but I would think Bloomberg would have mentioned that they might have other screen suppliers too.
there are many suppliers for oled panels now. LG Display and Samsung Display are just the two largest ones. Foxconn/Sharp also makes them. resolution is somewhat arbitrary

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019

Nate Hold on for a sec:

Are you speculating from yourself on this?
Or is their release date at this moment still for 2021?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly do wonder if Nintendo plans to use this revision as almost a sort of "iPhone" refresh, as people have speculated for years, and something that will extend the Switch's overall life, rather than just a refresh, with the Succ coming two years later.

Reason why I state it is if this does 720p, 1080p stable with DLSS to higher resolution on an OLED screen... Why upgrade to the Succ in two years? Not sure if either new hardware-based gameplay mechanics (fka "gimmicks") nor an increase in graphics at the same effective resolution as we got from DLSS would push me to upgrade.

But IDK. Really depends on what Nintendo's overall strategy is here.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Maybe a bit off topic, but At Jeffs new podcast he mentions that he heard rumors (!!!) that Nintendo maybe will address NSO in regards to 3D All Stars leaving etc. Only rumors at this point!

Sounds a lot like the Information from Thugstas

Can you talk more about this topic?

Here his new format: https://youtu.be/LRoTOgCuU6k

Status
Not open for further replies.