• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
1400x-1.jpg

Selina Wang said:
Nintendo Co. is teaming up with San Francisco-based Scrum Ventures to scout startups working on new ways to play or use the Japanese company's hit gaming console, the Switch.

The program, run by Scrum, will look for startups, teams within larger companies or university researchers developing new tools to improve the Nintendo Switch platform, including components, sensors, chips or other add-ons, the venture capital firm said. Scrum and Nintendo will provide developers with assistance to bring products to the market. Neither company plans to invest directly in the startups.

Source: Bloomberg

Last edited:

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Neither company plans to invest directly in the startups.

Then what is Scrum supposed to get out of it? They are expecting startups to give up equity in exchange for connecting them to Nintendo's developer assistance? Need more details, but as somebody tied into the startup world it does not make sense for a fund to recruit teams without the intention to invest into them and see them exit.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
If only they did that in the Wii days and we got cool shit like this developed further.

Dude has been with Microsoft since iirc.

Then what is Scrum supposed to get out of it? They are expecting startups to give up equity in exchange for connecting them to Nintendo's developer assistance? Need more details, but as somebody tied into the startup world it does not make sense for a fund to recruit teams without the intention to invest into them and see them exit.
Where do they say the start ups need to give up anything to be part of this? It could just be technical assistance and know how exchange, shortcuts to contacts and what not, it could be valuable or not, we'll see.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just allow me to connect a gamecube controller in the switch slots, or maybe a joystick and d pad and rotate my console longs way in order to play arcade games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If only they did that in the Wii days and we got cool shit like this developed further.

This is what I was hoping the NX would be actually. But more like eye-tracking rather than head tracking, and have it be used for aiming rather than 3D effects.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The tablet and JoyCon controllers have so much potential for adaption and expansion. We've already seen some examples with Labo but the potential is still huge.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

maybe nintendo is just using the venture fund as a consulting firm for their talent in hunting for small teams?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
investment usually means $$$$$$. they could provide documentation, support and direct advising

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
The tablet and JoyCon controllers have so much potential for adaption and expansion. We've already seen some examples with Labo but the potential is still huge.

Agreed. I think Nintendo is finally demonstrating the "deeper and wider" ideas that Iwata talked about with the Wii U. The Wii U tech was disastrous, but with a device like the Switch there is an incredible amount of potential as you say.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
This could lead to some very cool and innovative experiences. Even more ways to set the Switch apart from the competition. Can't wait to see some projects come out of this

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Where do they say the start ups need to give up anything to be part of this? It could just be technical assistance and know how exchange, shortcuts to contacts and what not, it could be valuable or not, we'll see.

This became Kinect tech eventually, and Sadly the creator here passed away in a car accident.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
This could be awesome for Labo. Imagine selling a bunch of different "inputs" (light sensors (vitality?), motion sensors, counters, limit gates, etc etc) and a bunch of different "outputs" (motors, solenoids, etc). You could turn the switch into a mirco PLC system, perfect to teach new engineers.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This could be awesome for Labo. Imagine selling a bunch of different "inputs" (light sensors (vitality?), motion sensors, counters, limit gates, etc etc) and a bunch of different "outputs" (motors, solenoids, etc). You could turn the switch into a mirco PLC system, perfect to teach new engineers.
You could potentially connect those to the Joy-Cons or the Switch itself via the railing system (or go the easy route & just plug it into the USB-C port on the bottom of the Switch).

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Easy answer: add an IR sensor to the left Joy-Con.

Make Labo kits that are designed to work with games outside of Labo software. You could create unique controllers for a whole bunch of different games.

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo is making some very interesting moves this generation. Appear to be very smart and forward-thinking moves too.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Sony this is your chance to launch the PS eMerge initiative.

A combination game card and downloadable app the runs an update Vita she'll within the Switch OS.

This will bring the PS family of mobile games to others to enjoy!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This is great to hear and a smart move by Nintendo. And most surely they will invest in some form just not in money.. I dont see them pass up on a very good idea.

Oct 27, 2017

It's possible they only take a cut if these products end up going to market. This way, at most, they just invest their time beforehand and if a project doesn't come to fruition it's not as a huge a loss (as their time + money, if they were investors with equity)

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fun to see what comes out of this, hopefully we'll get to see something really special for Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I bet you could make a functional Labo-esque version of a Yu-Gi-Oh like duel disk complete with multiple NFC sensors (or a way to connect several spots to the single sensor) that connects to an on-screen trading card game.

We're only a few holographic steps away from real life Yu-Gi-Oh everyone...

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
This became Kinect tech eventually, and Sadly the creator here passed away in a car accident.
I wouldn't say it became Kinect tech given the different fundamentals even if something similar was developed with the Kinect but oh wow, I had no idea, that's awful, he surely had a bright future ahead :o(

Edit: hoping it's a misunderstanding as above, although his youtube channel hasn't had new stuff since almost a year ago (blogs etc. even before that).

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? His wikipedia page doesn't say anything about it, nor do I see any news stories about it.

I wouldn't say it became Kinect tech given the different fundamentals even if something similar was developed with the Kinect but oh wow, I had no idea, that's awful, he surely had a bright future ahead :o(

Edit: hoping it's a misunderstanding as above, although his youtube channel hasn't had new stuff since almost a year ago (blogs etc even before that).

Maybe I am getting him crossed up with someone else. I swear like 2012 or 13 there was something about him and a car accident and him passing away. I can't find it now, so let's just chalk it up to my bad memory.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Easy answer: add an IR sensor to the left Joy-Con.

Make Labo kits that are designed to work with games outside of Labo software. You could create unique controllers for a whole bunch of different games.

Seeing as Labo is just cardboard, there's a pretty big opportunity for them to sell small Labo kits alongside the individual games and the console itself.

In fact... I wonder what sort of kits they could fit into a standard Switch game case?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as Labo is just cardboard, there's a pretty big opportunity for them to sell small Labo kits alongside the individual games and the console itself.

In fact... I wonder what sort of kits they could fit into a standard Switch game case?

Maybe even replace the plastic game box with a cardboard game box and have pre-cut patterns on that.