• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...w-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

Summary:
The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

The SoC is rumoured to have a better CPU and more RAM:
The U.S. company's new chipset will also bring a better CPU and increased memory. DLSS support will require new code to be added to games, so it'll primarily be used to improve graphics on upcoming titles, said the people, including multiple game developers. Bloomberg News previously reported that the new Switch is likely to include a 7-inch OLED screen from Samsung Display Co. and couple the console's release with a bounty of new games.

Declined to comment:
Nvidia and Nintendo representatives declined to comment.

Edit:

Last edited:

Method

Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo to Use Faster Nvidia Chips in New 2021 Switch Model

Nintendo Co. plans to adopt an upgraded Nvidia Corp. chip with better graphics and processing for a new Switch model planned for the year-end shopping season, according to people familiar with the matter.

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

DLSS in the switch pro per sources by Takashi Mochizuki.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg: Next Switch iteration to use DLSS Rumor

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver...

Method

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be so legit. Cannot wait to get my hands on this. Can someone give me a bot to confirm my order at Amazon in 5 or 6 months?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't know the importance of DLSS until someone here linked me to this. I'm so excited to see what the Switch Pro can do.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that DLSS would mainly be used in docked to have games in 4k while undocked games will just get a boosted in resolution/performance right?

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Pre-orders are gonna crash every site they're on, especially with the chip shortage going on.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take one of those. please please please PLEEEEEEASE have bluetooth audio support too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Welp, that's the big one! Pretty unambiguous: DLSS necessarily means a Turing or, more likely, Ampere based chip, so we're looking at a big jump here. Not too much detail besides that, but this is in line with what our very own Nate has stated as well so far. Now we have two strong sources backing DLSS, nice!

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
If anyone had any doubt about the legitimacy of the insiders on Era, they should start to re-evaluate.

Now let's wait and see how this turns out. Not buying any games this year to save money for this xD

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I hope this will work with older games.

As in, that they are patched.
DLSS will need a patch, it slots into the middle of the rendering pipeline so games can't take advantage of it out of the box. But the chip should be more powerful in other ways as well, so it's quite likely fps issues and dynamic will be solved for existing games at least (up to the max resolution and fps set in the game code).

Esit: whoops missed the edit!

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I really hope it won't be hell, trying to purchase this thing.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they outfit the system with a beefy CPU because DLSS won't help with that part of the system.

I assume that DLSS would mainly be used in docked to have games in 4k while undocked games will just get a boosted in resolution/performance right?

It'd be useful in all situations, but undocked will likely still be at a lower resolution than docked.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Bayonetta 3 and Any Metroid are gonna shine on this thing. Praise be to early announcements and long development time!

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
With the Series S being a thing, this kinda ensures that the Switch revision won't fall too far behind and will receive next gen (current gen) ports right? Or am I being dumb.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
DLSS is absolutely huge and will be a major game changer. As someone who only plays docked, I'll buy one as soon as possible.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They should patch Xenoblade 2/DE, it'd be a nice way to further promote Xenoblade and push units

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
A DLSS chip, neat! Figured it was that and not a powered up dock/Switch because it's Nintendo.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
With the Series S being a thing, this kinda ensures that the Switch revision won't fall too far behind and will receive next gen (current gen) ports right? Or am I being dumb.

I'm curious about this myself. Wondering if this will open the floodgates a bit more for 3rd party releases. I'm not expecting a ton of games but hopefully it's a noticeable uptick in support.