• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
A month after opening, Nintendo Tokyo continues to see hour-long waits just to get into the store. It seems that Nintendo has once again underestimated its own popularity.

Click here for the full article. Snippet:
Just before Christmas, a trip to Nintendo Co.'s flagship store in Tokyo would have required an hour's wait just to get in and buy a plush Mario toy or a set of chopsticks bearing Luigi's face.

Opened in November on the sixth floor of the renovated Shibuya Parco shopping mall, the constantly packed 300-sq.-meter showcase exhibits the appeal of Nintendo's intellectual property contrasted against the conservatism that leads it to habitually underestimate its popularity.

The long lines are a sign of the customer loyalty Nintendo's counting on in 2020 as it ramps up mobile efforts and ponders successors for the aging Switch.

A deluge of fans — foreign and Japanese — has overwhelmed the outlet since the moment it opened. Staff said there hasn't yet been a day without a long line of people waiting to get in, despite distributing numbered tickets before opening its doors at 10 a.m. each day. On Dec. 9, Nintendo issued a tweet asking fans to "dress warmly" as it anticipated they'd have to wait outdoors. All this is in spite of an out-of-the-way location that few would stumble into off the street.
[...]
The line to get into Nintendo's emporium typically overflows down a nearby staircase. Once inside, shoppers don't get much space — it's a compact venue for one of Japan's biggest and most globally renowned brands. The line for cashiers snakes around the store's inner periphery, and a tourist wearing a Los Angeles Chargers hat said he'd waited over 30 minutes just to pay.

It makes you wonder why it took them this long to open a store in Tokyo. Super Nintendo World will open next year... So we'll see how that goes.

1400x-1.jpg
1200x800.jpg

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's actually surprising that Nintendo has so little retail presence.

They should open up more stores in high traffic cities, like for example in Las.Vegas

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having exclusive merch there helps it. They should give more love to their New York store.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the store just launched and it was Holiday season....lets see how busy thing are a couple months from now.
The size of the space isnt only based on the initial Holiday traffic.
'ponders successors for the ageing Switch.'
What?
Expect more of that in the upcoming months...people love to ignore data and facts when it comes to Nintendo.
Hell many people made a career out of it and continue to push proven false agendas.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god I am now resisting the urge to get a Koopa Troopa and Paratroopa plush...

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah me too but why? I see all those other plushes and I don't care, I see the koopa troopa and I am like "ok That one I must have it"

Koopa Troopa was/is always my main character I use for Mario Kart from the very beginning so I was always partial to him lol But his design is just perfect though, I can't explain it either lol

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Koopa Troopa was/is always my main character I use for Mario Kart from the very beginning so I was always partial to him lol But his design is just perfect though, I can't explain it either lol

It was my main in Mario Golf, shit distance but precise reliable shots. I won a couple of online tournaments with my faithful Koopa troopa :D

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to always underestimate the size of their fanbase. Seen it for years.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I was there relatively recently about a month ago and the Gulf War Gameboy was still there. Not sure about the NES prototype though.

What was the NES prototype? I have been to the Nintendo NY location at least a couple dozen times, dating back to when it was the Pokémon Center, and do not recall ever seeing it. The Game Boy was still there when I was last visited during the launch of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, though.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Expect more of that in the upcoming months...people love to ignore data and facts when it comes to Nintendo.
Hell many people made a career out of it and continue to push proven false agendas.

Don't think there's an agenda.

It's normal for next hardware to be discussed and planned a few years after the release of the newest one. Development will likely start somewhere in late 2020/early 2021.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
What was the NES prototype? I have been to the Nintendo NY location at least a couple dozen times, dating back to when it was the Pokémon Center, and do not recall ever seeing it. The Game Boy was still there when I was last visited during the launch of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, though.

This one. The tape deck NES, keyboard, and weird ass square D-Pad. I loved oogling at this thing as a kid.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to go there this summer! Hope it's calmed down a bit by then.

Oct 25, 2017
It says an hour and a half but it's really more like 45 minutes in peak hours. If you go at like 7 or 8pm, you might only wait 15 minutes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are only three constants in life; death, taxes, and Nintendo under-stocking their non-game merchandise

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
They should rename it to the Tokyo Mirage Sessions Store next month to... control demand and raise awareness.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think there's an agenda.

It's normal for next hardware to be discussed and planned a few years after the release of the newest one. Development will likely start somewhere in late 2020/early 2021.
I don't think anyone disagrees with the " ponders successors for the Switch." part, it is indeed normal. It's the use of the word "ageing" for a device that is less than three years old that causes a reaction.

They should rename it to the Tokyo Mirage Sessions Store next month to... control demand and raise awareness.
Control demand indeed, hardly anyone will come to the store...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's actually surprising that Nintendo has so little retail presence.

They should open up more stores in high traffic cities, like for example in Las.Vegas
Yeah Nintendo could sell so much more if they popped their own stores up, but it's crazy that Nintendo who doesn't offer any other products (like MS does or Sony could) can have such a popular store.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

It was gonna be the primary console in the west instead of a rebranded Famicom. Shit would have been WILD if Nintendo went through with this, like just imagine a proper home conputer system from Nintendo instead of just a cartridge player video game conaole5.

I honestly do not know if it would have been as successful as the NES we received. The NES was simple and was nowhere near as ambitious as this prototype. The Kotaku article already states that the concept was abandoned for multiple reasons, such as "the wireless IR pad's poor performance to cost issues." If the 72 Pin connector was so prone to failure, I wonder how much more problematic this console could have been?

Admittedly, it is cool to see Nintendo initially wanting to push forward with radically advanced technology for the time. Wireless controllers wouldn't become standard for game consoles until 20 years later!

Oct 27, 2017
I was there yesterday, those things are still on display. The gulf war gameboy still works, too. Currently they have some E3 2018 props on display as well.

But it seems to me that there's less exclusive merch now than there was, say, two years ago. Less things like socks and clothing, especially for Zelda. They used to have a large array of amiibos to buy but even that section has been retooled to almost nothing.

They've expanded their demo kiosk area and rearranged the current-retail areas so you can get any games, joycons, etc. easily, but you can get a similar experience from local retail stores. When there isn't a special event going on, much of the space is occupied by shoppers and tourists giving their feet a rest for a few minutes. The few photo-op areas are still special though. But more of this, as it currently is, may not be the best thing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I honestly do not know if it would have been as successful as the NES we received. The NES was simple and was nowhere near as ambitious as this prototype. The Kotaku article already states that the concept was abandoned for multiple reasons, such as "the wireless IR pad's poor performance to cost issues." If the 72 Pin connector was so prone to failure, I wonder how much more problematic this console could have been?

Admittedly, it is cool to see Nintendo initially wanting to push forward with radically advanced technology for the time. Wireless controllers wouldn't become standard for game consoles until 20 years later!

It would have flopped hard and Nintendo might not even exist today.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This is just like how their Pokemon store was when it launched and then over time the lines died down when it wasn't so new. It would be pretty dumb to have a huge ass store to accommodate the launch demand only to be left with too big of a store when the crowd dies down

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When the PS5 and Series X hit, there will even be more cries for a successor to the Switch, ignoring that that PS5 and Series X are Sony's and MS's entries into the Switch generation.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah Nintendo could sell so much more if they popped their own stores up, but it's crazy that Nintendo who doesn't offer any other products (like MS does or Sony could) can have such a popular store.

This reminds me that Sony used to have a flagship store in New York City at 550 Madison Ave. My favorite part was the massive PlayStation Lounge situated underground. It felt very much like the Sony equivalent to the Nintendo NY Store. There was a plentiful stock of PS3 and Vita games, a display showcasing every generation of PlayStation with their respective redesigns, and even a section in the back dedicated to a specific game. On one of my excursions into the city, it was modeled after Uncharted 3, decked out with crates as the seats in front of each television. I was back there again a few days after the Vita launched. There were kiosks propped up with the system and Sony MDR-XB500 headphones. The brief experience I had playing wipEout 2048 sold me on the game and pair of the headphones. The bass-heavy soundtrack was translated by an affordable set of headphones ($50!) so well that it created a new level of immersion I had been lacking with my brand new Vita. The last time I was able to shop around at the old location was in the later summer months of 2013. On the multiple televisions displayed behind the checkout counter, there was a continuous loop of Sony's E3 conference playing! The infamous "Used Games" slide was recognizable from any angle.

To my dismay, Sony sold the building during its restructuring earlier in the decade and moved to Sony Square NYC on 25 Madison Ave. I have not been to it, yet, but it does not seem to include PlayStation as significantly based on the photos.