• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's obvious that by "launch games" they mean multiplatform launch games. If there's a launch PlayStation exclusive title, I bet my ass it won't be on PS4. It would be against the Sony "exclusives matter" policy.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People happy to spunk 1000 dollarydoos on a phone upgrade every year or so but balk at the idea of a games console at 600. World gone mad.

A phone is far, far more valuable to the average consumer than a plastic gaming box that collects dust under a TV. Shocker, I know. And not everyone upgrades their phone every year... it's just so many people own a smartphone they will always sell even when released yearly.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well this is just a rumor and not confirmed. it's entirely possible the $450 reported might actually represent other costs included, idk. Until it comes from Sony idk.

Like others have said, if it's a sudden price situation with ram that pushed it up to $450, then it sounds like less than $450 was and is the plan. Maybe it was $420, a feasible loss at $400, but is pushed up now. Who knows if these factors will last into whenever they announce price, much less launch.

they did not have the cash cow that is PS+ (in terms of subs) at ps4 launch and Sony projects a good loss in profit next fiscal year so I don't think we can rule out $399 yet.
Oof.. taking $100 knock on 4 million sales in launch month would be hectic .. BUT, I must say financially they were doom and gloom in 2013, now their pretty healthy and definitely capable of doing it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
People happy to spunk 1000 dollarydoos on a phone upgrade every year or so but balk at the idea of a games console at 600. World gone mad.

Here's the problem... the value you get out of a console is, to a certain extent, a function of its popularity.

If a high price deters adoption, it'll affect those who can afford the price also - in lower transition of development, lower specific support etc.

As much as I or many on this board 'could' pay more for a console, when I think what a 600 or 700+ price would do for the ecosystem - i.e. result in upressed last-gen games for a long time to come - I feel a lower sweetspot is a better choice. The hardware may not be as good, but the development focus can switch with faster adoption, and on balance lead to more, more sophisticated games, faster. How technically advanced the games we get, or how many of them we get, is not merely a function of how much can be packed into one of these boxes, and to hell with price. It's also a function of how many of these boxes are out there. So there's a balance to be struck.

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah if you were expecting $399, pass over whatever you were smoking to begin with. 2013 called, it wants it's inflation back. Stop having unreasonable expectations. You want the best specs but are expecting $399. Cmon.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Its not exactly the same thing. Phones have payment plan options that just don't exist for consoles, which are lump sum up-front payments of several hundred dollars. Also phones are far more valuable than consoles, lets be honest.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The loss in that case would be bigger than just 60 dollars. There are many other costs than just BOM.

Well obviously there's R&D, advertising, etc. I'm just saying in the position Sony is in now they can afford to make a small loss of each console if it means they gain the most market share again, they could make up for the temporary loss in console profits with game sales and subscriptions and then once manufacturing costs come down again within a year or so they'd also be making profit of the consoles again.

But I know that's unrealistic & the PS5 will most likely cost $499, I'm just saying I don't think it's impossible for Sony to do is all.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Its not exactly the same thing. Phones have payment plan options that just don't exist for consoles, which are lump sum up-front payments of several hundred dollars. Also phones are far more valuable than consoles, lets be honest.

why?

if you don´t game on your phone you can have a smartphone for 5 or more years...i am still rocking an iPhone 6s

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't 2013. A $399 price isn't realistic.

I dare say a $399 price isn't really responsible.

In 2013, high end phones were $599. In 2020, flagship phones start at $999. People are used to paying more for hardware, and less for software (via sales, subscriptions, bundle deals etc).

It will be $499, most definitely.
This

And the XSX will probably be $550

Oct 28, 2017
A phone is far, far more valuable to the average consumer than a plastic gaming box that collects dust under a TV. Shocker, I know. And not everyone upgrades their phone every year... it's just so many people own a smartphone they will always sell even when released yearly.

That console will quite possibly last you a few years as well, and nice way to be reductive regarding a games consoles worth when we're on a place to discuss video games. Its not gonna collect dust if you bother playing shit on it. I just don't see how people can get fussy over the price when they also piss and moan over a lack of games at the start of a new gen. Either buy it or haud yer weesht on price and wait for it to mature.

Here's the problem... the value you get out of a console is, to a certain extent, a function of its popularity.

If a high price deters adoption, it'll affect those who can afford the price also - in lower transition of development, lower specific support etc.

As much as I or many on this board 'could' pay more for a console, when I think what a 600 or 700+ price would do for the ecosystem - i.e. result in upressed last-gen games for a long time to come - I feel a lower sweetspot is a better choice. The hardware may not be as good, but the development focus can switch with faster adoption, and on balance lead to more, more sophisticated games, faster. How technically advanced the games we get, or how many of them we get, is not merely a function of how much can be packed into one of these boxes, and to hell with price. It's also a function of how many of these boxes are out there. So there's a balance to be struck.

Independent of price, you'll see studios heeing and hawing on the line of going all-in next gen or not for a long time. Development costs are high, so not spanning that gap is almost guaranteed suicide, even IF the consoles were selling like mad.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thing will retail for €499, at the bare minimum. Anyone thinking a high-end console with a custom SSD solution will cost less is in for a surprise lol.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Did people really think this was going to be $399? It was never going to be that price.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This thing will retail for €499, at the bare minimum. Anyone thinking a high-end console with a custom SSD solution will cost less is in for a surprise lol.

i think they have targeted 599 but are waiting for MS to make a move to maybe undercut them by 50 bucks. 499 would be the absolute minimum these days anyways for sure.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
People on this site are interesting. Most here want the super high-end graphics with stable frame rate that can be pushed to 60 fps, yet they're never willing to actually pay for it.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Does this kinda confirm that both consoles are relatively close ?
In price - no one knows where that bom is gone - for example could be using their budget on their highly custom ssd where Microsoft push the GPU a bit , that's the fun of this back and forward mainly and will find out soon enough :D

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Independent of price, you'll see studios heeing and hawing on the line of going all-in next gen or not for a long time. Development costs are high, so not spanning that gap is almost guaranteed suicide, even IF the consoles were selling like mad.

There's a balance, of course most games will be cross-gen for a while. But with a good adoption rate, we could have a curve much like we've seen in the past. Don't see much reason there can't be, indeed next-gen-only development could be cheaper for some (indies) vs cross-gen support. But anyway, no matter how fast or slow you see that transition happening, if you have a lousy adoption rate, it will be slower still - with the attendant impact on your return-on-investment as a customer. So I think, even if you can personally afford a high price, there's more to consider about whether it's desirable or not.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They are preparing us about the 500 obvious price so when they officially announce it, it won't have a big impact. A good way to attenuate the shock with this leak.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
well this is just a rumor and not confirmed. it's entirely possible the $450 reported might actually represent other costs included, idk. Until it comes from Sony idk.

Like others have said, if it's a sudden price situation with ram that pushed it up to $450, then it sounds like less than $450 was and is the plan. Maybe it was $420, a feasible loss at $400, but is pushed up now. Who knows if these factors will last into whenever they announce price, much less launch.

they did not have the cash cow that is PS+ (in terms of subs) at ps4 launch and Sony projects a good loss in profit next fiscal year so I don't think we can rule out $399 yet.
At least here in Europe the PS4 was heavily supply constraint. On eBay the prices were 500+€. Why should sony take a loss at lauch when they can easily sell trough every console they produce. Wouldnt it be much smarter to Lauch at 450-500€ and then reduce the price the Holiday season a year later, when demand slightly declines.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People on this site are interesting. Most here want the super high-end graphics with stable frame rate that can be pushed to 60 fps, yet they're never willing to actually pay for it.

Those people want a $1000+ PC stuffed into a small box. It's never going to happen. Consoles are aimed at a market that is fairly price sensitive. Half a grand entry point for a game console is a pretty big no-go for a lot of parents.

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian it is kind of crazy that if it launches at $500 USD it's probably going to be $750 CAD after taxes, when the PS4 launched it was also $399 here so only ~$450 with taxes.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Those people want a $1000+ PC stuffed into a small box. It's never going to happen. Consoles are aimed at a market that is fairly price sensitive. Half a grand entry point for a game console is a pretty big no-go for a lot of parents.

Well this logics is neevr sane. Everyone knows now that newe'st games base versions cost 70 bcuks and to get full versions or Deluxe versions or all DLCs, the same game will cost over 100 bucks. How can they pay the 100 bucks for just one game and not pay it for the console once and for all?? It doesn't make any sense. Those same people pay twice the console prices for a phone they change every 2 years or a year.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
i think they have targeted 599 but are waiting for MS to make a move to maybe undercut them by 50 bucks. 499 would be the absolute minimum these days anyways for sure.

Sony will do everything they can to stay away from $599. Even if it means $549. $499 is the target.

They didn't compete this gen though.

50 million isn't competing? Every generation all 3 compete with varying success.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I have $500 in Best Buy gift cards primed and ready. This will be the first gen since the PS1 era that I just get one new console at launch. I'm leaning PS5 because of the exclusives.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well this logics is neevr sane. Everyone knows now that newe'st games base versions cost 70 bcuks and to get full versions or Deluxe versions or all DLCs, the same game will cost over 100 bucks. How can they pay the 100 bucks for just one game and not pay it for the console once and for all?? It doesn't make any sense. Those same people pay twice the console prices for a phone they change every 2 years or a year.

I don't know why people keep bringing up phones. The average consumer values a phone purchase, and values keeping their phone up to date, far more than a gaming console.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
People just taking a Bloomberg report at face value or is there a real publication reporting this?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people keep bringing up phones. The average consumer values a phone purchase, and values keeping their phone up to date, far more than a gaming console.

Well now consoles are no longer considered toys like before and they are premium entertainment products so if they want the best, people need to invest too.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What about PC's, lots keep them up to date as well?

I don't see why consoles cannot break the $399 thresh hold. We did get past the $50 game price.

I've expected PS5 to launch at $499 for some time now, due to everything really, from SSD to N7 APU to G6 memory.

What I'm wondering though is how much will XSX cost at launch, if it will actually end up with a 1/3rd bigger APU as the leaks suggest so far? Will MS go with $599 or will they launch with a loss on h/w like it was back in PS360 days?
My guess is they are serious about having two models. This way one beats the PS5 on performance while the other will beat it on price.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I've expected PS5 to launch at $499 for some time now, due to everything really, from SSD to N7 APU to G6 memory.

What I'm wondering though is how much will XSX cost at launch, if it will actually end up with a 1/3rd bigger APU as the leaks suggest so far? Will MS go with $599 or will they launch with a loss on h/w like it was back in PS360 days?

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What about PC's, lots keep them up to date as well?

I don't see why consoles cannot break the $399 thresh hold. We did get past the $50 game price.

The people looking to spend a ton of money in gaming will most likely be PC gamers. They want the best and they work to buy the best. Consoles have always been more mainstream products aimed at a more casual gamer.

A $499 PS5 also leaves Sony vulnerable as the door is open for a competitor to come in well under that price with a similar product.

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
$450 isn't too bad. they could do $500 no problem. sony is the top dog, milk it while you can.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Did people really think this was going to be $399? It was never going to be that price.

You're talking about a demographic that still gets mad about the price of games, even though they've generally gotten cheaper over time...I still remember my mom buying me a sega genesis game for $80 back in like 1994, nowadays people "wait till it's *free* on playstation plus, etc." on games that start out at like $20, lol.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The people looking to spend a ton of money in gaming will most likely be PC gamers. They want the best and they work to buy the best. Consoles have always been more mainstream products aimed at a more casual gamer.

A $499 PS5 also leaves Sony vulnerable as the door is open for a competitor to come in well under that price with a similar product.
Like who? Microsoft is not going to take a bath on losses. I think they too are looking at $499 or even higher. Nintendo is never going to come out with the same level of hardware again directly.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure a forbes contributor will corroborate the story any moment now.
Lol right?
I feel like this forum often just blindly accepts things from Bloomberg or Forbes Contributors as fact despite their terrible history.
Bloomberg in particular has been posting complete fabrications as "Reports" when it comes to tech for years now. The most notorious of which of course being when they claimed there were invisible spy chips in a bunch of server components coming from China.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like who? Microsoft is not going to take a bath on losses. I think they too are looking at $499 or even higher. Nintendo is never going to come out with the same level of hardware again directly.

With Series X at $499, it already is a much better value proposition thanks to Game Pass. They could easily release a cheaper Xbox Series to undercut PS5. Also, half a grand entry point could cause consumers to look to cheaper methods of gaming, say streaming or whatever else new comes out around the corner.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
With Series X at $499, it already is a much better value proposition thanks to Game Pass. They could easily release a cheaper Xbox Series to undercut PS5. Also, half a grand entry point could cause consumers to look to cheaper methods of gaming, say streaming or whatever else new comes out around the corner.
I think these new consoles will be valued already at $499 for what they will offer. There's no way they can have all this stuff for $399. It's been a long time coming but consoles need to get over that $399 brarrier.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I expected $499 from the beginning based on the specs revealed thus far, so I am still fine with paying that much.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
My mind is kind of set on 499. I already have that money set aside. I'm fortunate enough that an extra 100 bucks won't break the bank but that 599 price does feel like a lot, especially when you have to add on tax and a launch game. So I kind of expect 499 which is probably what a lot of early adopters would top out at too. 399 is my dream price which I highly doubt would ever happen. 449 is the just maybe but probably not price but sony really wants to get systems in people's hands.