• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well if that's not awkward neither is ms not showing stuff, people having double standards for 2 different companies is a blatant showing of bias. Let's not.

People trying to spin that sony are in a better position to wait for more ps5 info are either being disingenuous or delusional. We know more about the XsX then the ps5 there is more pressure (not a lot but some) on Sony to release more ps5 info then ms.
Not sure who you're talking about but I agree that MS's approach also is not awkward. Although Series X is a slightly strange name.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Sony will eat a loss, the only question is how far they are willing to go.

Supposedly they had an almost 300 loss on the PS3 (+ - 800 BOM, sold at 499 and 599), and at that time the Playstation wasn't as integral to their business as it is now.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's depressing to know that Sony's marketing department probably checks these boards to gauge how consumers would accept a higher price point and they find threads full of people like "I hope I can give Sony more money!"

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The median household income in 1995 was about 56k
The median household income in 2018 was about 63k (we don't have numbers for 2020; this will be pretty close, I promise)

In 1995, $300 represented about 6.42% of the median household's monthly income
In 2018, $500 represented about 9.52% of the median household's monthly income

That's a pretty considerable difference. It's almost 50% higher in terms of how big a strain it puts on a given household's income

And that's not even half the picture!

Given that living expenses keep pace with inflation (or even higher) rather than income, $500 is even more expensive! In the context of an economy where everything's more expensive and people have less to spend in general, more of that median income goes toward keeping people alive. The amount of money we can spend on entertainment is lower, but everything costs more!

$500 now is a lot more expensive than $300 was in 1995, for a variety of reasons. Hell, $300 now is more expensive than $300 in 1995, for a lot of people!

You are right on what you have you said but the reason why 500 bucks would be expensive because of other stuff we have to buy like smartphones and all. So yea you are right but 500 bucks isn't expensive like that when people run out and buy smartphones. I laugh at the thought that people can't afford a 500 bucks console but 1500 Samsung phone coming out in March 2020? They will be there.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
True, but $399 is probably gonna be disappointing specs though. I won't be satisfied with 9TF which means I have to spend more on additional hardware. I wish they would just tell us what this thing is. They seem afraid tbh.

I understand why they might be apprehensive towards a higher price. $499 plus tax is a tall order for a gaming machine, especially in Europe where VAT adds a hefty chunk to the price. Enthusiasts want the best hardware possible and that's also understandable but the price and hardware decisions at this stageare crucial for a console's success. I am very curious to see what they settle on.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
You are right on what you have you said but the reason why 500 bucks would be expensive because of other stuff we have to buy like smartphones and all. So yea you are right but 500 bucks isn't expensive like that when people run out and buy smartphones. I laugh at the thought that people can't afford a 500 bucks console but 1500 Samsung phone coming out in March 2020? They will be there.

Smartphones can be purchased on contract or incentives from the phone company.

I think only Microsoft offers a pay plan for Xboxes.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The Smartphone comparison is nonsense because a Smartphone has a lot more value to the average person than a console. And it's not like the average person has the super high end smartphones anyway.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's depressing to know that Sony's marketing department probably checks these boards to gauge how consumers would accept a higher price point and they find threads full of people like "I hope I can give Sony more money!"

We're not talking about politics or other sensible topics, we're talking about videogames and videogames are not something necessary for our lives; me and others don't want a 499 $ console because we wanna make Sony more rich, we want a 499 $ console because we want a reliable and powerful hardware... 399$ would be 3-4 Tflops less than Series X.

Last edited:

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I always wait for a little more than a year to buy new hardware anyway, so I'll take the wait and see approach for PS5.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The Smartphone comparison is nonsense because a Smartphone has a lot more value to the average person than a console. And it's not like the average person has the super high end smartphones anyway.

To each his own I keep the chrome....

I will just stop right here anyways. It seems people want a powerful system that cost 399 with all the tech that comes with it and that is ok, I guess.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Depends really. I don't mind wasting 500 on a console as long as its a good system. I won't be buying a smartphone for that price despite using it on a minute to minute basis. I still use my 6P, got a new battery last year and its doing fine. texting, calling, spotify and reading articles works on older phones as well.

There will always be early adaptors for any kind of tech. The price won't stay high forever. Others can jump in once its been reduced. A 500 PS5, if its marketing campaign is PS4 levels of smart, will sell out.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We're not talking about politics or other sensible topics, we're talking about videogames and videogames are not something necessary for our lives; me and others don't want a 499 $ console because we wanna make Sony more rich, we want a 499 $ console because we want a reliable and powerful hardware... 399$ would be 3-4 Tflops less than Series X.
The flip side of that is Sony can go the Nintendo route and just be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they want to play the exclusives and they won't mind if it's less powerful.

I rather they both be equal in power as I intend to own both and the Nintendo philosophy pisses me off every time I turn on my switch.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I still don't believe it's going to be any more than $399. Abandoning that price point seems crazy to me.

I kinda agree. I'm sure that's the price point they would want to go for and until it's assumed otherwise I think that will happen (though if this information is correct I still think that makes $399 a bit of a pipe dream).

Sony will eat a loss, the only question is how far they are willing to go.

Supposedly they had an almost 300 loss on the PS3 (+ - 800 BOM, sold at 499 and 599), and at that time the Playstation wasn't as integral to their business as it is now.

That was a very different time and situation. Firstly had they not taken that loss they would have handed the console market to MS. The PS3 would have been as dead as the Dreamcast if it launched for something like $800. Also those losses damn near sunk the company so I'm not sure that's something they want to repeat.

$499USD is at least $599AUD if not $650AUD. If it's that price, fuck you next gen. I ain't wanting PS2 era pricing.

If next gen consoles reach that sort of price range I'm pretty curious how that will impact the adoption of next gen consoles. As you say here in Australia that's a big ask and IMO will severely impact the take up of next gen consoles.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
$499USD is at least $599AUD if not $650AUD. If it's that price, fuck you next gen. I ain't wanting PS2 era pricing.

The Xbox One launched for $599AUD so it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary. What's surprising is the PS4 launched for $549AUD so the price difference between the two consoles was much smaller than in the US.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Xbox One launched for $599AUD so it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary. What's surprising is the PS4 launched for $549AUD so the price difference between the two consoles was much smaller than in the US.
Yeah the $399 battle was mainly a US thing, elsewhere that price difference was far less obvious. Plus the Xbone on launch had bundles that were far better than PS4 bundles. In Australia that is.

Honestly if they are both up in the realm of $500+ I'm in no way inclined to buy a next gen in the first year windrow. I got better things to spend that money on and a console ain't one when big Navi is around the corner.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The flip side of that is Sony can go the Nintendo route and just be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they want to play the exclusives and they won't mind if it's less powerful.

I rather they both be equal in power as I intend to own both and the Nintendo philosophy pisses me off every time I turn on my switch.

It wouldn't be possible for you to have a Switch if they went with PS4 level power.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It wouldn't be possible for you to have a Switch if they went with PS4 level power.
I'm ok with not having a Nintendo handheld but a powerful docked and dedicated home system. Unfortunately I doubt Nintendo will ever do that again.

Sony can come out with something less powerful and people will Find a way to be ok with it is what I'm saying.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The epitome of a forum dweller. And spoken from a perspective that have no clue how these companies run at that level.

It's going to be ok.

Deleted member 24417

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Nintendo can do it because they have taken that route beginning with Wii, Sony can't do it because users buy their console also for multiplatform games and not only for exclusives.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not sure how it works in other countrys but in Portugal ever single big tec store and isp provides you month payment.

Not just tec, you can buy anything in a monthy payment.
Monthly payment has almost always seemed like a bad deal in consoles because by the time you have finished paying there have already been offers and packs that give much more for less money.

Unless you're in a hurry and haven't money, it's not worth it.

Jan 20, 2019
Monthly payment has almost always seemed like a bad deal in consoles because by the time you have finished paying there have already been offers and packs that give much more for less money.

Unless you're in a hurry and haven't money, it's not worth it.

Monthy payment is never worth it because of the extra money you pay.

But most peopel cant just pay 500$ upfront, so paying 30$ a month for a entertainment system ends up being a good deal in the end.

That is how i see it.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018

But most peopel cant just pay 500$ upfront, so paying 30$ a month for a entertainment system ends up being a good deal in the end.

That is how i see it.

Yet with playstation 5 being out in a few months, hell more than a few. It''s not a very good excuse for not saving some money for it. You can even wait for until you can afford it. But in that case a monthly payment can be a good option.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

That is how i see it.
Being something that is not essential, I think it is better to save and wait but, whatever, everyone has their priorities, you are right.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

They are just different value propositions. A Smartphone may be more valuable to an individual person but a console is
more valuable to the entire family. When I'm not home my wife is using the console, the kids etc... It's constantly being
used by different people throughout the day.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see next-gen consoles being cheaper than 500

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Any multinational corporation who things that niche enthusiast forums are a good place to gauge the price average consumers (who haven't heard of stuff like 'ray tracing' etc) are willng to pay, deserves exactly whats coming to them.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Lmao, rest assured there's quit a long list of higher priority sources for these companies to base their market research for pricing on than enthusiast gaming forums, where they know most are picking it up regardless of price(assuming it's within reason).

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Lmao, rest assured there's quit a long list of higher priority sources for these companies to base their market research for pricing on than enthusiast gaming forums, where they know most are picking it up regardless of price(assuming it's within reason).
Dont be so sure. This is 'just get a second job' Sony were talking about.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the next decade, digital will probably make up about 90% of all game sales in the west so having them playing and buying those games On your platform is essential as the profits will be enormous. I say eat up whatever cost it is and get the consumers to your platform ASAP.