• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhm, ok so while expensive, the rumor has been $499 for both consoles being the price goal for like a year now.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol right?
I feel like this forum often just blindly accepts things from Bloomberg or Forbes Contributors as fact despite their terrible history.
Bloomberg in particular has been posting complete fabrications as "Reports" when it comes to tech for years now. The most notorious of which of course being when they claimed there were invisible spy chips in a bunch of server components coming from China.

This reporter is a well respected tech journalist in Tokyo covering asian tech companies. They just left the WSJ at the end of the year to join Bloomberg.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they have good sources.

Don't discount a real journalist just because you don't like what they say

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Those people want a $1000+ PC stuffed into a small box. It's never going to happen. Consoles are aimed at a market that is fairly price sensitive. Half a grand entry point for a game console is a pretty big no-go for a lot of parents.

Depends. Like people called the Switch DOA since at $300 it was too expensive for the casual market since it was just a beef up handheld, while too underpowered for the hardcore who could buy a PS4 for only a little more money. That and unlike what happened with the PS3 and the Xbox One, the next console with similar specs isn't going to be $100 cheaper.

Last edited:

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Between the PS5 and PSVR2, I'm expecting to drop around $800 over the next year or so.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
What's more reliable than Bloomberg? WSJ might be it? Or is this a joke post...
Bloomberg historically have been very inaccurate with their tech reporting.

This reporter is a well respected tech journalist in Tokyo covering asian tech companies. They just left the WSJ at the end of the year to join Bloomberg.

Fair, I didn't know that! I wasn't discounting the journalist because I didn't like what they said, I discounted them because they're writing for a publication with a bad track record on this kind of thing. I didn't know the journalist themselves has a good track record.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
$500 sounds great. Lets go
Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn't an issue.
This sounds absolutely great! My biggest gripe with the PS4 is the damn noise it makes. So annoying. I hope the PS5 doesn't suffer from this, because I can't take another 6 years of this shit

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fair, I didn't know that! I wasn't discounting the journalist because I didn't like what they said, I discounted them because they're writing for a publication with a bad track record on this kind of thing. I didn't know the journalist themselves has a good track record.

Here is their prior background.

https://www.wsj.com/search/term.htm...s,wsjvideo,interactivemedia,sitesearch,wsjpro

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You can get it cheaper but I think the retail price of the PS4 Pro is still $399. If the PS5 is $499 I wonder if Sony is taking a loss on the new console or just gouging us on the old one?

I paid 600 for my PS3 so 500 seems reasonable to me in 2020 but no one ever complained about getting more for less.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Still betting $800-$1000 XSX

tenor.gif

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017

Still waiting for that Switch Pro...

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
When you factor in inflation, and $400 USD back in 2013 is ~$450 USD now then $500 for more advanced tech in 2020 seems reasonably priced to me.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Take the loss and sell for $450. Then merge with Nintendo to release the Nintendo Playstation with Xbox GamePassNow as their primary service.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
nice way to be reductive regarding a games consoles worth when we're on a place to discuss video games

This is a silly argument. Just because it's a gaming hobbyist forum doesn't mean we should be pretending like consoles aren't GTA Online/FIFA/Fortnite boxes, and the vast majority of consumers use their phones much more often than they use their gaming consoles.

And I still see people talking about phones being $1K. Is that a thing outside the US (I know we have a fair number of international members) for new phone purchases? Most people here just add like $30 (for example) to their monthly phone bill. You don't have to cut a check for $1K on the spot like you do with a console.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
$500 sounds reasonable then.

I don't see them going with a price tag like $550, but who knows.

Interested to see what they go with.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think ZhugeEx supported this article, which means it must be somewhat accurate.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huge APU on an expensive production process. Consider that a PC GPU videocard which is about 1/2 in size of the XSX's APU and likely with half the RAM is retailing at $400 right now.

It's not going to be $800. Series X will retail between $499 and $599.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Huge APU on an expensive production process. Consider that a PC GPU videocard which is about 1/2 in size of the XSX's APU and likely with half the RAM is retailing at $400 right now.
Can't do direct comparison due to economies of scale ordering. Since both companies will be ordering in the millions plus efficiencies of not selling it as a standalone product, it will be considerably cheaper.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

But most posters on here always say to me that retail price has nothing to do with the components of the console.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony wanted to go with a $399 price and sell the PS5 at cost. I would not bee shocked to see a $399 and $499 version.

This basically confirms what I thought, that we won't see a PS5 full reveal until after E3.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
So, the XSX is either, slightly or consirably more powerful than the PS5, while being acordingly more expensive, making lockhart even more important for MS' competitiveness, while having the issue of being hard to sell at launch for not having next gen exclusive games.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
What does DRAM pricing have to do with their reveal?
They reveal is a huge part of PS4 success. After seeing what Microsoft did first they were able to react to it. It wouldn't shock me if they wanted to do the same with PS5. Also you still have games like the last of us 2 that they still want to push before going all in on next gen.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So unless they are ok with selling at a loss and making it up on software and services it looks like a 499 generation to start out with

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It should be considered a one time investment for the next >5 years, so I don't care about the price anymore, I just hope they put out a beefy and durable piece of hardware with outstanding build quality (that goes for the controller as well).

There is nothing worse than a brand new and exciting 400-500 €/$ device that fails after two years due to cheaply made components.