• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't try to talk down to me, I didn't misconstrue anything. You said that you suspect that Microsoft would "fund it as much as they need to" implying going above any standard budget it may be given at the start of the fiscal year. You might not know this, but no matter how important a product is to a company, it still has a set budget at the start of the year.

Especially with MS presumably dropping cash hand over fist on Game Pass, i really dont see them in a rush to release another revenue pit for their gaming division

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I have a question that I'm hopeing someone could answer.

Does it sound right that the cooling system on ps4 /ps4 pro would cost less then a dollar?
I know it's far from a great solution but less then a dollar makes it seem just so silly that they wouldn't bump it up another dollar or so and have potentially a much better cooling system like the report apparently suggests.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
So, imagine day one price is $499, do you think this is going to affect launch/holiday sales? Considering other cheaper options in the market (e.g. Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X) at that time.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You shouldn't try to talk down to me, I didn't misconstrue anything. You said that you suspect that Microsoft would "fund it as much as they need to" implying going above any standard budget it may be given at the start of the fiscal year. You might not know this, but no matter how important a product is to a company, it still has a set budget at the start of the year.

"Fund it as much as they need to" Does not imply going above set budgets. It implies that the set budget could be robust.

Clear?

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question that I'm hopeing someone could answer.

Does it sound right that the cooling system on ps4 /ps4 pro would cost less then a dollar?
I know it's far from a great solution but less then a dollar makes it seem just so silly that they wouldn't bump it up another dollar or so and have potentially a much better cooling system like the report apparently suggests.

$1 multiplied by over a 100 million systems isn't really small change.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
$1 multiplied by over a 100 million systems isn't really small change.

Yeah I am aware but when you have ps4s sounding like they are getting ready to take off you think an extra dollar towards your costs would be a no brainer. That is ofcourse if it only really costs less then a dollar for the cooling system to begin with.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Both top end consoles are going to be $500 (Possibly MS being even higher if they also have a cheaper option). The $400 dream isn't going to happen.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, imagine day one price is $499, do you think this is going to affect launch/holiday sales? Considering other cheaper options in the market (e.g. Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X) at that time.
No, people will moan and buy it anyway. They have no right to if the parts mean a significant increase in performance. We have head of large 3rd party publishers saying this is a much bigger boost in comparison to the current gen from the previous one.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Remember this intereview, which may have relevance on the whole warchest/how invested they are in next gen..

There was a time that Nadella was questioning what the future of the Xbox brand would be after the Xbox One reveal. Spencer told Nadella that the company needed to go "all-in" on gaming and the rest is history. What followed was the acquisition of Minecraft, the Xbox One X, and countless studio acquisitions. You can read the passage that outlines what Spencer had to do below.

A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,' Spencer told me... He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved — if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: 'If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are.'

[..]

He pushed Nadella to acquire... Minecraft, for $2.5 billion — a move that gave Microsoft exclusive control over the most popular game in the world... Microsoft announced the game would continue to be available on all platforms, including those of its direct competitors. It was an unprecedented move for a publisher of Microsoft's size. 'One of the first calls we got after the Minecraft acquisition was from Sony saying, 'Are you going to pull it off PlayStation?',' Spencer said. 'And I'm like, 'Why would I do that? People like playing it on PlayStation.'

My takeaway is that it's more likely than not they'll continue to make big investments in Xbox this gen.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Launches are almost always about the enthusiasts. The next holiday is when the price sensitive folks matter more, and by then, I would suspect you'd see price cuts or value adds.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018

This will always sellout. The only thing that will make it not break sales records is if Sony doesn't have enough units for that. Simple.

Feb 8, 2018
I haven't been following these next gen threads but I'm shocked a lot of people expected a 400$ price point for next generation. The old machines were underpowered out of the gate and allowed that price point. There's been no indication this round of consoles will do the same.

If they were underpowered then not dramatically. I remember reading on some PC oriented site that PS4 is pretty good for it's price. Most importantly I remember being rather impressed by videos showing early games (KZ: Shadowfall,Driveclub, Ryse) just to name a few.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Launch shouldn't be affected however starting as soon as January you'll indeed see some effects.

I can't stress enough that great content (and exclusive content) is still the fastest way to transition.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's gonna be $499. There just isn't any other way considering how powerful these machines are estimated to be.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony changing the price will depend on how long they think this spike will last .
If they think it will be only a few months i can see the easting the cost for a short while.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
according to google that's £344.99. So just about the price of a PS4 at launch here £350.

that's not too bad. say they add £100 on top of that and round it up to £450 then with 20% tax it'd be about £540. Let's just say £550. (not saying this is how they will calculate the price...jsut guessing)

£550 is fine for me if that's what it cost.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is full of experts, and I for one, am here for all of this expert analysis.

What if Sony decides to release it at $399, $449 AND $499 all at the same time?

Huh? Then what!?

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS not getting in a format war with Sony means they will charge premium price for a premium product, and that in turn will affect the PS5 price.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Not necessarily, when people can pick up a $150 XB1S at Gamestop and play 98% the same games it's going to be a bit harder to sell a $300 (optimistic) entry-level next-gen machine. By the time Xbox's next-gen exclusives start rolling in, the XSX will probably already be cheaper than its launch price and bundled to hell and back, depending on sales performance
It's a 1X with upgrades CPU, an SSD and way more RAM. Plus, third-party next-gen exclusives will all be playable only on XSS, and any graphical upgrades should be present on the XSS.

Look at GTAV for example. That was cross-gen, but way better looking and was 60 FPS on PS4/XB1 (well, I think there were dips on XB1?). XSS should be delivering that "next-gen" experience, just at a lower target resolution, which should be totally different from the XB1S experience.

That said, the messaging is going to be tricky. How do you promote the XSX by screaming "4K!" without making XSS' 1080p target seem shitty? I think the danger is less that XB1S will be a better value proposition, and more that it will be perceived that way. Likely they'll lean heavily on the load-time aspect and RT, etc.

But like I said, this approach is endlessly fascinating. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Also, I'm wondering how both MS and SOny are going to promote new consoles considering both are launching this Holidays. (I think they will have same price)

I imagine Microsoft promoting Xbox X Series very attached to the GamePass, what do you think Sony is going to react?

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
It was $381 at launch and they were taking a loss selling at $399.

www.engadget.com

PS4 costs $381 to make, according to hardware teardown

The PlayStation 4 costs $381 for Sony to build, $18 under its retail price of $399. The figure comes from a hardware teardown by research firm IHS that included the bill of materials, which amounts to $372, as well as per-unit cost of assembly in the assessment. The teardown notes that the...

Cool. $381 = ~$430 today.
So if PS5 materials are $450, I'm cool with that. Hopefully its a beast of a machine.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
You mean like every other launch of a new system? History has shown that new hardware sells at launch higher than old hardware. It will be fine.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I've given up the $399 dream. Hoping it lands at $450, but already got $550 saved up ($500 + LA sales tax).

If the box is BC (and it better be), I'm not even worried about launch titles.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So this news makes it seem like we're looking at a $499 PS5.

But, this has happened before. They might walk out on stage again and announce $399 to a room full of cheering.

I'm not willing to make a bet either way.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Sony is going to massive undercut or force losses on MS by making this thing $399. If it's $399 they will sell out at launch.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I knew something was up at Sony. They are struggling with this launch no doubt. It's far too obvious.

History shows you would follow your previously successful launch the best you can. Delays mean issues, simple as that.

I refuse to believe that they didnt plan something for the start of the year. A combination of microsoft going at VGA and nand issues has hit them. They are looking at a 600 dollar box if they dont want to make considerable losses and mostly cross gen games.

Prepare yourselves peeps, set your expectations. This will not be another ps4 style launch...its going to be slow and steady at the start of this gen. Theres simply not enough components for anything else.

Jim Ryan's onboarding dream will be tough to pull off in the current market.

giphy.gif

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The article said that Sony usually finalizes prices in February, and then starts mass production in the spring.

If that's true, and they're really just a month or two away from starting mass production, then I am extremely surprised that detailed specs of the console haven't already leaked out.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article said that Sony usually finalizes prices in February, and then starts mass production in the spring.

If that's true, and they're really just a month or two away from starting mass production, then I am extremely surprised that detailed specs of the console haven't already leaked out.

wondering if they will launch earlier than xbox.