• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sony Group Corp. plans to make 2 million units of the PlayStation VR2 headset by March next year, people familiar with the matter said, setting an ambitious outlook that defies the global economic malaise.

Mass production of the virtual reality goggles began in September and hasn't yet faced supply chain constraints, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information. The production figure could be adjusted depending on the device's sales momentum once it's released early next year.
Sony has yet to give an official price or release date for the PSVR2. Its current plan to start selling the headset in early 2023 will coincide with expected relief of the supply chain bottlenecks that have hampered availability of the PlayStation 5 console since its launch in late 2020, the people said. That would give the company sufficient inventory of both headsets and consoles for a big marketing push. Users will need a PS5 console to use the VR headset.
Source

2 million for launch would be almost a third of PSVR's lifetime sales. Crazy.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I hope they succeed. Sony is the last bastion of AAA VR experiences. If PSVR2 fails, I don't think VR ever succeeds for enthusiasts. Also them making so many units, gives me faith that the price might not be as bad as some people, even I, think.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Enjoy playing your remaster of Blood and Truth and nothing else from Sony.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they have an ambitious price to go with that ambitious launch number.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I hope they succeed. Sony is the last bastion of AAA VR experiences. If PSVR2 fails, I don't think VR ever succeeds for enthusiasts. Also them making so many units, gives me faith that the price might not be as bad as some people, even I, think.

They kind of ruined that by not offering backwards compatibility with VR1 games?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Alright Square, you know what to do, Final Fantasy XVII exclusively for PSVR2. You made a name for PS1 releasing FFVII on it and you can do it again.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They're really hoping their core audience is actually interested in VR. The price is going to be really interesting on this.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I want PSVR2 to be successful and I want to be hyped for PSVR2 but like (I guess) a lot of people, I really need to see more from the launch line up and the price. The price can really make or break my hype for getting PSVR2 at launch.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
They kind of ruined that by not offering backwards compatibility with VR1 games?
That does suck but as long as they have a strong lineup, I don't think many people will care. To a lot of people this will be their first VR experience, if PSVR1 didn't have the games to convince them to get one, I doubt backwards compatibility will matter much to them.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't native PC support mean they lose their ability to subsidize the price since they cannot guarantee lock in to a PS5?

Considering they are pushing more games to support the Dualsense on PC, why not do it for PSVR2? Betting it would sell gangbusters if it worked on PC day 1. It would sell out.

Makes zero sense for their headset to support PC. They make money on the software, not hardware.

They have more games supporting Dualsense on PC than any other Dual-controller ever. I could easily see it have PC comparability. Even if they don't do it, the community will make it work.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Wouldn't native PC support mean they lose their ability to subsidize the price since they cannot guarantee lock in to a PS5?
Basically yes, PC support means they either have to sell the headset at a significant profit or having a PlayStation launcher on PC with the headset only working with games played through that launcher.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They're really hoping their core audience is actually interested in VR. The price is going to be really interesting on this.
It's a big gamble to be honest. I know they've obviously fixed a lot of complaints (less wires, better quality, easy to set up) but with the lack of PSVR1 Backwards Compatibility (I bought a lot of PSVR1 games on sale lol) and a potential $500 price tag, I really can't see myself getting it even though I loved my PSVR1. I have no doubt the PSVR2 will likely be successful in the long run but I do wonder if there's gonna be an immediate success found at launch due to nice pricing and a stellar line up not being just 1-2 hour experiences rather than bigger scaled games.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but they don't really have to subsidize the price much if they're also selling to the PC audience that is used to $1000 headsets.
It's not the PC VR audience that would look at a high price and second guess the purchase.

Yes, pc support means they either have to sell the headset at a significant profit or having a PlayStation launcher on PC with the headset only working with games played through that launcher.
I just don't see how they could possibly lock down the headset to a specific launcher. It would only be a matter of time until someone has it working with SteamVR.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Pretty lofty expectations for a likely high priced peripheral on a low user base in a recession

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If they're going to do it. It needs to have at the bare minimum:
  • Wireless
  • Eye Tracking with Foviated Rendering
  • 2k-per-eye minimum resolution
  • 90 Hz minimum refresh rate
Because at this point, thats basically whats need to bring VR to the next level and not just be another Quest clone.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ambitious but IMO if they really want it to hit the big time they need PC compatibility.

At least I probably don't have to worry too much on whether I can secure a set.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, it won't support PC. Maybe someone will hack in pc support but that is being optimistic. Sony will be selling this at a loss because they know you will be locked into PSVR2 without losing any sales to SteamVR.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

They're implying that it'll flop. But of course what they leave out is that if this thing sold as much as Kinect did, Sony would be doing backflips and summersaults in the air, and the entire VR industry would hit a renaissance moment as everyone rushed to ditch Oculus and Valve Index make PSVR2 games.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
  • Wireless
Because at this point, thats basically whats need to bring VR to the next level and not just be another Quest clone.
We've known the basic specs of PSVR2 for some time now

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
  • Wireless
Last 3 already confirmed.

It isn't wireless.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thinking it'll be $499 for this one.

Not the best possible price although the tech just won't allow to be below that.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
They need a better line up and a decent price if they hope to sell that many units.... as well as seamless pc compatibility.
An expensive walled garden won't cut it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I thought I read they are also using the same (edit- my mistake, similar) micro-oleds in PSVR2 for Apple's headset next year, with the contract they got.

Then LG and Samsung will takeover in 2024.

If that is true, can that have a part in them being motivated to build more PSVR2s? Any savings?

Edit- got it from here....

www.notebookcheck.net

Apple Glasses AR/VR device may be released with record 2800 PPI OLED display pixel density

Samsung and LG would have to develop the jaw-dropping 3500 PPI OLED microdisplays for Apple's 2024 Glasses VR headgear, up from the initial 2800 PPI ask. Even the first 2023 Apple Glasses display supplier, Sony, will be offering record pixel density panels similar to the ones on the PS VR 2.

Even the first 2023 Apple Glasses display supplier, Sony, will be offering record pixel density panels similar to the ones on the PS VR 2.

On a microdisplay, or a screen with an inch or lower diagonal, the PlayStation VR 2's rumored 2000×2040 pixels resolution per eye would return a pixel density of about 2850 PPI, according to the DPI calculator. That's close to what the industry sources claim that Apple initially demanded from Samsung and LG, and probably what Sony will be providing for the first Glasses generation, too. With its Xperia line, Sony already offers the highest pixel density on a phone display at the moment, as some of its high-end handsets have 6.5-inch OLED panels with 4K resolution and pixel densities north of 600 PPI.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018
  • Wireless
Wireless would make this really expensive.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they are pushing more games to support the Dualsense on PC, why not do it for PSVR2? Betting it would sell gangbusters if it worked on PC day 1. It would sell out.

They have more games supporting Dualsense on PC than any other Dual-controller ever. I could easily see it have PC comparability. Even if they don't do it, the community will make it work.
The issue becomes how does Sony make anything on any person that purchases it for PC use exclusively. Not having it locked into a specific platform means Sony would lose their ability to monetize anyone who purchases the headset outside the initial purchase.

The Dualsense is different in that there aren't a subset of games that are developed and only work with the Dualsense like there will be for the VR headset. The margin on the controller and selling millions of those is something that makes a lot of sense, selling a VR headset at cost or at a loss without ownership of the platform players will be on doesn't.