• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday, WSJ reported "Sony Says the Next PlayStation Is Three Years Off". This was quickly picked up by several news outlets:

Gamespot

Kotaku

Polygon

Ars Technica

...and many more. But apparently, without any additional fact-checking, which is kind of interesting considering this is quite the statement, and there were huge red flags:

1.) The actual quote from Kodera, which is in the WSJ article, did not say what's in the headline.

2.) Another 3 years would mean this generation will be 8 years long, making it as long as last gen, which was regarded as too long by many gamers and even developers.

3.) Why would Sony wait 3 years after a long-awaited, new process node, which offers a huge performance increase?

4.) There were apparently other journalists at the same event, who did report something completely different:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tation-chief-hints-at-portable-gaming-revival

Kodera declined to provide a timeline or specifics for a new console, saying only that a new device is being designed around making it easy for developers to create games and also with an eye on easier hardware manufacturing.

This has prompted the journalist from Bloomberg to come out and respond to the WSJ article:

So there's that. I especially like the Ars Technica and Polygon headline: "Sony: Next PlayStation is at least three years off"

At least! Maybe this generation won't be a record 8 years long, but 9 or 10 years! Who knows! Lmao.

PS: Thought this might deserve it's own thread because it was so widely reported, and is seemingly false.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lemme guess, Takashi Mochizuki was responsible for that WSJ report.
*checks report*
Yep. How often did he screwed something up or mistranslated stuff?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Sony didn't. Even reading the tweet it was obvious what they meant. People needed an attention grabbing headline.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that here yesterday. People didn't understand what he said. Ps5 will be out by 2020.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The PS5 will release any time between one second from when I post this and the heat death of the universe.

Publications can go ahead and quote me as a trusted source on that.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
That's the nature of "enthusiast" reporting. And that's why I always go to the more reputable source when reading a report of a report.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I kinda thought the same thing when I read those articles. I figured they would continue to support the PS4 even after the PS5 launched like they always do.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Told you so in the other thread.

The "three years" figure is simply because Sony (as a whole corp) presented their three-year mid-range business plan.

Pretty amazed to see experienced journalists failing to pick up something that elementary, to be honest.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's at least 2 years away, at a minimum.

7nm needs to mature before Sony even considers putting out new hardware. There's currently not enough gain to be had over the still very expensive Pro and 1X.

Deleted member 1326

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, those articles should change their headlines (they probably won't).

I could see either 2019 or 2020. The profit forecast they shared for FY2021 didn't seem like a big enough drop though. It may very well be that they expect recurent revenue to keep them afloat, PS5 not being heavily subsidized or FY2021 is them already recovering a bit from a 2019 launch. So with the information we got I'd consider 2019 or 2020 still plausible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The profit decline was like the easiest tip off, I'm surprised literally no one thought to correlate the two

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I fucking knew it when I saw that headline. The WSJ headline was misleading. 2020 confirmed from inference then.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I have been trying to make the point that comments have been taken out of context a few times recently. I'm glad someone in the media has finally called it out.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has a console ever released during a presidential election year? Or even month?

Besides the Wii U, which failed awfully.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is his quote:

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future".

I thinlk the WSJ article is a fair inference of his words. What they failed to consider is, Kodera probably includes 2018, meaning PS5 will arrive in 2020 (7 years) not 2021 (8 years).

EDIT: Hang on. The title of this thread is nowhere to be found in the actual Bloomberg article. The OP has basically taken Yuji Nakamura's contrary opinion on Twitter [that Kodera did not repeat the same thing to him that he told other journalists] and used it to express his own opinion that PS5 will arrive sooner than 3 years.

All the points in the opening post are the OPs dressed up as Bloombergs.

EDIT 2: Title should be changed to Yuji Nakamura on Twitter: PS5 is 2 and a half years away, not 3

Last edited:

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, we'll see "Sony lied", "Arrogant Sony is back", "Sony just shoot themselves on the foot". It'll be fun.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Late 2020 would be the sweet spot (and what I've been guessing at literally since the PS4 released ironically) between tech advancement and current gen getting long in the tooth.

2021 would risk MS sweeping in to take advantage of the stalled momentum of declining sales and overshadowing by Switch 2 rumours, while 2019 would be too early for a really big power jump at an affordable price.

2020 though? Yeah, that's the stuff.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm still thinking it's fall 2019 and people totally misunderstood Sony's words.

PS4 will continue to sell even after PS5 comes out, just like all playstation consoles did in the past.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Here is his quote:

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future".

Which clearly is not "PS5 in 3 years" if so! I get that some (including games journalists and analysts) prefer next gen later rather than sooner but to take such facts out of context is a bit much.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Perhaps not.

Given that they're forecasting a notable profit decline in 2021, Fall 2020 is basically a lock now.
To be fair, the "notable decline" probably looks bigger than it's actually going to be because 2020 numbers are omitted from the charts they showed. It'd be weird, but it's not impossible that the decline could actually be sharper in that year. If we assume that there's a steady decline from 2018-2020, though, followed by the growth in 2021--yeah, that points to a 2020 launch.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be either late 2019 or mid 2020.

I wouldn't be shocked if Sony followed suit of the Nintendo Switch. Release it in March 2020 with a pretty good launch lineup and then have enough supply for Holidays 2020.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So two years instead of three, HUGE difference worth getting upset about.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that this is finally being addressed. I read quite a few takes yesterday about how PS5 was "at least" three years away and they all referenced WSJ. I have tons of respect for their writer, but he has been known to make assumptions.

Personally, I still believe we're looking at either Fall 2019 or Spring 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.