• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony Group Corp. will continue producing PlayStation 4 consoles throughout 2022 as it navigates disruptions to the global supply chain that have limited output of its pricier PlayStation 5.

The Japanese conglomerate, whose flagship PS5 console has been in scarce supply since its debut in November 2020, told assembly partners late last year that it would continue making its earlier-generation machine through this year, according to people familiar with the matter. While Sony never officially announced when it would stop making the PS4, it had previously planned to discontinue assembly at the end of 2021, they said, asking not to be named as the plans are not public.

The strategy would add about a million PS4 units this year to help offset some of the pressure on the company's PS5 production, a figure that will be adjusted in response to demand, the people said. The older console uses less advanced chips, is simpler to make and provides a budget-friendly alternative to the PS5.

Increasing production orders by adding the cheaper-to-make PS4 would also give Sony more leeway when negotiating with manufacturing partners for a better deal, two of the people said.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

Sony Group Corp. will continue producing PlayStation 4 consoles throughout 2022 as it navigates disruptions to the global supply chain that have limited output of its pricier PlayStation 5.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

The Japanese conglomerate, whose flagship PS5 console has been in scarce supply since its debut in November 2020, told assembly partners late last year that it would continue making its earlier-generation machine through this year, according to people familiar with the matter. While Sony never officially announced when it would stop making the PS4, it had previously planned to discontinue assembly at the end of 2021, they said, asking not to be named as the plans are not public.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I… am not sure that's exactly the problem lol.

Most people F5'ing pages and constantly looking for PS5s right now are hardcore fans who already own PS4s, no?

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I wonder if the technologies there to make a handheld that plays PS4 games natively, then Sony would have an excuse to keep it relevant

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
One would think the same raw materials would be, by and large, the same for both consoles. Maybe one would be wrong. They know a lot more about their business than I do, and they are good at it so it's good to know things aren't as simple as that. There was a comment before saying that current gen stops when Sony says so that I thought it was funny, but then it disappeared.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I… am not sure that's exactly the problem lol.

Most people F5'ing pages and constantly looking for PS5s right now are hardcore fans who already own PS4s, no?

a million extra ps4s doesn't sound like they plan to flood the market. I believe PS4s have been hard to find since the pandemic as well so this seems to be a way to serve a smaller part of the market while still bringing consumers into their eco system and make money off services and digital software.

I'm not sure that this is as big of a deal as people here are going to make it out to be.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was the other way round?
As in PS4 sales have declined faster than anyone thought because Sony have stopped making them, to focus on PS5.
Are they gonna start making them again?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
not that I'm even against it, but fuck that is hilarious considering the Jim Ryan "we believe in generations" quote

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Wonder when stupid posts about crossgen will start when it's logically impossible for this to have any real impact on 99% of games being developed now.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Ash Blossom

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 11, 2021
This is good. I'd rather that PS4s and Dualshock 4s remain available while PS5s are too expensive to acquire.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
a million extra ps4s doesn't sound like they plan to flood the market. I believe PS4s have been hard to find since the pandemic as well so this seems to be a way to serve a smaller part of the market while still bringing consumers into their eco system and make money off services and digital software.

I'm not sure that this is as big of a deal as people here are going to make it out to be.
Yeah you're probably right, don't think it's a big move just something nice to have on store shelves that'll probably do decently well

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Seems a bit late, no? Didn't they already stop? Probably should have kept making them.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I wonder if with Spartacus they will introduce cloud gaming so you can play ps5 games on your ps4? Similar to what Microsoft has done. So for those who can't get a pS5, they will still be buying software.

It also makes sense if you want to play God of War but can't because you can't find a ps5, ps4s are still about. Hardcore people would just wait, but it might get some of the more casual gamers.

Probably need a price drop though.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Whelp... hope y'all are enjoying cross gen. It's not going anywhere.

Well...this would mainly matter for the games they're making now, no? Any game that's being developed next gen only now is too late unless they make a last gen SKU (which might not be worth the time or effort).

DemoKev

Jun 3, 2020
Bruh c'mon what type of nonsense is this? Lmao this gen is starting so... Man I don't even know smdh

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
But don't worry, we have plenty of Turboman's PS5's faithful sidekick, Booster PS4.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
A million extra PS4s is such a non story lol

I'm more curious whether they're keeping their 22m PS5 forecast for the next fiscal year

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Cross gen will keep on trucking I guess lol.
Thank fucking god. Here's hoping we have at least two more years of it for most major releases. Because even if I was able to find a PlayStation 5 someplace by some bizarre miracle there's no way that I would be able to afford it.

So the longer that developers continue to treat the two generations equally the longer I am able to properly enjoy my hobby as I should.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Bruh c'mon what type of nonsense is this? Lmao this gen is starting so... Man I don't even know smdh

Its no ones fault, everything is screwed up, supply chain is wrecked. Sony had no intention of making more ps4s, they want people to switch to ps5 as soon as possible, but if they can't make many of them they can't do anything about it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Got lucky and ended up upgrading to a series x and ps5 this year. Gave my ps4 pro to a friend out of gaming for years and my Xbox one S to another friend for his kids when I moved in November figuring they were worth pennies.

I don't regret it because they appreciated it, but man, couldda got real cash for them. Hell the Xbox was selling more used at gamestop than what I paid for it during a steep black friday sale three or four years ago. The supply chain crunch of current gen has given weird life to these aged consoles and I am not mad at it. More people able to participate in the hobby the better.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ending production for the PS4 this early seems weird, the console is still selling quite decently.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Just a million? Thats barely anything.

Only interesting bit for me was that the chip supply was definitely an issue. With Sony revising PS5 estimates for 21/22 I wondered if other component shortage was worse due to supply chain issues, but that may not have been the case.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yet I still can't find new PS4 Pro unit for 2 years now. At least this will help reducing the used unit price I guess.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I totally skipped out on this gen with PlayStation and Xbox. I thought I would get a PlayStation 4 late 2020 but the prices have evened out at a uniquely high spot and have not budged since. Technically they have gone up due to limited stock.

Sony are making an absolute killing at these price points and tons of people still want a PlayStation 4. They could probably continue making them at a comparable price for another two years really. The majority of players are going to be more than satisfied with last gen offerings for many years still.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Time for PS4 Superslim $199

rSquYa5.jpg