• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-on-china-prospects-hasn-t-scared-off-shorts

Growth in the current period will get a boost from the launch of a new, cheaper version of the Switch, according to two people familiar with the matter who requested anonymity to discuss private plans. The new device will likely be launched by the end of June, according to one of the people. The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year, though a more powerful version is not in the works, the people said.

Nintendo has yet to acknowledge the new hardware, but will likely include it in its guidance, leading to a lot of guesswork and reverse-engineering of the figures, analysts said.

Sorry if old but this tidbit came from an article this afternoon. WonderLuigi

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Nintendo wants a replacement for the OG switch but not a pro.
Switch lite will likely be $199, but the base switch should be closer to $299.

WSJ mentioned last year that Nintendo wanted a switch with a nicer screen, could be this

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
"The existing Switch will receive a modest upgrade this year" -- what does that mean? Is it the Nvidia security thing maybe? Just newer chips or something?

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
It's been discussed already in the WSJ thread, only difference is the release date

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Modest upgrade is disappointing. I might still get it though if we still any noticeable difference in games

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Cheap Switch definitely getting announced this week at the investors meeting.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only "modest upgrade" i want is some older games

i should be able to rebuy Majora's Mask on any nintendo console going forward, and id repay the $10-15 every time if i had to

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Modest skip it is then, a bit disappointing but let's hope Switch Pro is still real.
With the cheaper model, hopefully those analysts who said 2018 would be Switch's best year ever will start to see the light.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
What if the upgrade is the SCD thing they patented in 2016? Basically it's an expansion pack that connects to the dock and boosts power. No need for manufacturing a new SKU in this case.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I've read people speculating that it's gonna be a 'Next-gen' Switch, not just a 'Pro'. But wow, the reality is harsh.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
at least this tempers expectations

heck i may sell mine for the smaller if the power differential isn't very high

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect for me. I want that cheaper Switch. I really am curious to see how the JoyCons will be affected. I mean if it's cheaper, how much smaller can it really be? Don't the JoyCons determine the size of the new model anyways? Like, what are they going to do to make it a 'cheaper' model? They're not going to downgrade it's horsepower, so like what are they going to do? wtf

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how a sentence can say "modest upgrade" and "more powerful version is not in the works". Isn't a modest upgrade, no matter how tiny an improvement it is, a "more powerful version"? Unless I guess the only thing they tweak is battery life, screen stuff, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
YOU get a switch pro rumor, and YOU get a switch pro rumor! EVERYBODY gets a switch pro rumor!

oprah.gif

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if a modest upgrade is enough to make it so the game can stop framerate dipping in certain areas on botw i would be ok

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Pretty sure I've read people speculating that it's gonna be a 'Next-gen' Switch, not just a 'Pro'. But wow, the reality is harsh.
Anyone speculating that a next-gen Switch was coming soon was very misguided.

Remember, the term 'Pro' was used by people to describe an upgrade. A "modest upgrade" is still an upgrade. People have said to keep expectation similar to that of a 3DS to N3DS type situation.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't understand how a sentence can say "modest upgrade" and "more powerful version is not in the works". Isn't a modest upgrade, no matter how tiny an improvement it is, a "more powerful version"? Unless I guess the only thing they tweak is battery life, screen stuff, etc.
I interpreted the upgrade as stuff like maybe screen, quality of life, appearance, but not internals.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
To me this indicates that the new model of the standard unit will just be marketed as the "new" Nintendo Switch. It won't have a name like Lite or New. On Amazon it will simply state "Newer model available: Nintendo Switch (2019)".

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Unless the battery life is signifcantly better, I don't see the point in upgrading to a slightly better model.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Remember, the term 'Pro' was used by people to describe an upgrade. A "modest upgrade" is still an upgrade. People have said to keep expectation similar to that of a 3DS to N3DS type situation.
So more like 200 gflops upgraded to 250 gflops not 400 portable

400 upgraded to 500 when docked

Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect for me. I want that cheaper Switch. I really am curious to see how the JoyCons will be affected. I mean if it's cheaper, how much smaller can it really be? Don't the JoyCons determine the size of the new model anyways? Like, what are they going to do to make it a 'cheaper' model? They're not going to downgrade it's horsepower, so like what are they going to do? wtf
Wouldn't have joy con, probably.
That's how they save money

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mochizuki pretty much said as much as well. No one should have ever expected some kind of leap like PS4 to PS4 Pro. All the Pro power upgrade talk was fan speculation that got out of hand.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't that a 2-3x power boost.
Yes.

Which, honestly, is still my expectation here. A 'New Switch/Switch+/Switch Pro/Switch S or whatever name folks want to attach to it, could still get an upgrade of around 2.5x over current Switch to boost portable/docked resolution to their respective native resolutions -- so boost 900p to 1080p or 540p to 720p. That's my expectation, but, of course, it could come in lower.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean...sounds ridiculous as the Switch barely came out 2 years ago.
True. But even so, PS4 Pro is more than 2x times more powerful than PS4, and XBX is more than 4 times more powerful than XB1 in GPU alone. That sounds more than just modest upgrade to me.

I think calling it a 'New Switch' will be more appropriate here. Just like the 3DS upgrade.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to the cheaper version. Hopefully it has less flimsy controls. Heck, I'd be fine if it didn't switch at all.