• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The problem with JJ's mystery box shit is when it comes time to actually conclude the plot, it has to be satisfying. Are you going to say that the consensus on Lost was that the ending was satisfying and not a huge disappointment that would go unmatched until maybe Dexter, more probably GOT?

JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the ending of Lost or really much of anything besides the first season. That's all Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Losing some traction is normal after FORTY FREAKING years too, lol.

Who here honestly thinks 30 years from now kids will be all about the MCU? Heck no. Something else will be around by then and you're probably have kids that look at Endgame and go "man, that's so cheesy".

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
No way. Ppl love his mystery box shit. Everyone loves lost. Everyone loves Cloverfield. No, this is on Johnson. Jj does great work. Wait for ep ix!
25509.jpg

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Harry Potter had the same ridiculous expectation (has to be no.1 with kids for 40 years!) and pressuring Rowling to come up with dynamic new characters and new characters as interesting as old characters ... it's a pretty stupid ask to be honest.

They've tried and failed with Fantastic Beasts because those movies are generally bad.

It's the same for Star Wars. On its own, TFA isn't offensive or anything, but as a launching point for a new generation of Star Wars it's pretty miserable. It leans way too heavily into nostalgia and retelling story beats instead of being its own thing.

Genuinely good, interesting Star Wars movies could come out every year if they got the story/characters/arc/world right.

It will never reach the peak of the more monocultural 20th century but it could be a lot better.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what is there to get so excited and invested in?

The aesthetic and music is trash compared to the previous 2 trilogies.
The story isn't anything to write home about

Decent characters that they seem to not care to do anything substantial with.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
While I enjoy the new movies, they are very much a continuation of the OT and does assume you already care about the heroes of the OT and their legacy. The prequels, for all their faults, just concerns itself with its primary characters, which is easy for new viewers to get into. It will be interesting to see how the next trilogy ends up since it can make a clean break and establish its own identity.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of meat on that Star Wars bone but I don't think the creative side has had that unifying vision forward.

I'm frustrated that the best (and admittedly, the worst) stories of Star Wars aren't on film.

I also agree with the sentiment that Star Wars needs more "super heroes". More Jedi, more Sith, more Boba Fetts, more badasses in general.

Give me a morally ambiguous "grey Jedi" that's basically "space punisher" god damn it. There's no reason they can't create their own Star Wars superheroes once they're done with the Skywalkers.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Losing some traction is normal after FORTY FREAKING years too, lol.

Who here honestly thinks 30 years from now kids will be all about the MCU? Heck no. Something else will be around by then and you're probably have kids that look at Endgame and go "man, that's so cheesy".

Lmao cmon dude
Nah, a simple swing of a crackling lightsaber is enough to shelve this type of thought. I'd imagine the SW OST alone (crawl music) resonates quite highly with kids.

But I do agree TLJ didn't help. I remember the Podrace scene as a kid from EP 1, Darth Maul and superb lightsaber fights, nothing as powerful from the ST I'd imagine for kids.

I was a teenager when PT came out and thought it was garbage from day one. Loved TFA.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
You definitely make good points and the last part especially stands out to me. If you want the series to appeal more to kids and not just the fanbase that's getting older. You're definitely going to have to essentially compete a bit with the MCU (Even if Disney owns both).

And I think there's definitely room for both to appeal in different ways. One side focuses (even more) on cool space ships, space magic and martial arts than the other. Plenty of stuff to explore as it is, and there's like some 30 years of old EU material that can be re-purposed as such, just like how there's 70 years of Marvel comics to select for MCU movies. When I think about how they could have gone for stuff like a "better done" Yuuzhan Vong arc for new movies, instead of immediately retreading "Rebels vs. Empire" for the current trilogy...it just disappoints me a lot.

Oh, and shit like Mace Windu punching a bunch of things like a Hokuto Shinken successor is stuff that should have certainly been in the new movies, too. ESPECIALLY if you want Black Twitter to get in on things and freely help advertise your shit.

How many people are like me who were introduced to Star Wars through games? When I was a kid, it was KOTOR that got me into Star Wars. What contemporary game would kid me today have that would have the same impact? EA's Battlefront II? The lack of great Star Wars games is a significant step back.

Again, I feel this a lot.

My Dad sat me down and we watched the re-runs of the OT on USA, waaaay back in the day. And I'll say that I enjoyed 'em. But it wasn't until I played through Shadows of the Empire with my new N64 that I really got motivated to dive into this universe some more. And after exploring the likes of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, plus reading the various books that were available from the library...I was hooked.

I agree that I don't think that same type of appeal exists, now, and I probably wouldn't have developed the affinity for the brand I have now, if the current offerings was what was available to me.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The problem with this approach is that it left the series sitting on a foundation of sand and there was nothing that The Last Jedi could do to recover from it. I didn't like that film but I contend that it would have been much better if The Force Awakens wasn't so bad at being the first film in a trilogy.

There's plenty that TLJ could have done, but Rian decided to go nuclear. Kids aren't going to relate to Luke's cynical rambling or appreciate having their expectations subverted at every turn.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty that TLJ could have done, but Rian decided to go nuclear. Kids aren't going to relate to Luke's cynical rambling or appreciate having their expectations subverted.

Even if TLJ did everything you wanted it to it would still be about where it is now. MCU is having its peak moment and that's all there is to it, and it will decline some day itself too.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
George Lucas made Star Wars movies for kids.
Everyone else has been making Star Wars movies for the adults who liked Star Wars as kids.

I don't even think that's controversial to say.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge believer in individuals being hugely responsible for the success and failure of works that involve thousands of people, but really Kevin Feige (and I'm sure he has a team) has done an amazing job shepherding the marvel properties in a way that keeps building up and working well together, while Star Wars and Kathleen Kennedy have been an abysmal failure in having any sort of interconnected tissue. The three mainline movies were done with apparently zero plan on a sketch of a story tying them all together, and it shows, whereas you can see the buildup of The Avengers and Thanos in 10 years of film.

LucasArts was more concerned with "is this the right kind of clothing for a Jedi? Is this the right kind of planet for a Star Wars movie?" - really drilling down on details - rather than having a person making sure the high level stories were moving a universe forward in a way that made sense. I hope they are correcting course with Mandalorian and other new stuff but I have my doubts.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how people act like TLJ is the first controversial SW film that wasn't record breaking.

Or that it didn't make over a billion dollars in theaters and go on to be the top selling blu-ray of 2018.

The people who disliked TLJ are a tiny, but loud, minority, who don't matter in the slightest. Star Wars as a brand is fine, Lucasfilm just realized after Solo that they need to find their creative spine and start doing something interesting with the property now that the Episodes are over. Solo proved that just slapping Star Wars on the title doesn't guarantee huge numbers. Audiences have been conditioned by the Avengers to only see the "big ones" en masse, and Solo clearly wasn't vital narrative in comparison to the Episodes.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Look at this year. Three different MCU films were released into theatres, and all three have sailed past $1B at the box office. All three films were different from each other, and yet still tied into one another. Lucas Films need to make Star Wars like that. Everyone shows up for the Avengers films, but people have their favourite individual series and characters.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
George Lucas made Star Wars movies for kids.
Everyone else has been making Star Wars movies for the adults who liked Star Wars as kids.

I don't even think that's controversial to say.

There's tons of stuff in the OT that isn't exactly "for kids", I remember being a very young kid and not liking Empire Strikes Back much at all because I couldn't understand the story.

Lucas just hit lightning in a bottle, that's basically all.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There's plenty that TLJ could have done, but Rian decided to go nuclear. Kids aren't going to relate to Luke's cynical rambling or appreciate having their expectations subverted at every turn.
This fucking meme is beyond the pale. Structurally, TLJ is a bog-standard adventure movie. Kids aren't the ones losing their shit over Rey's parents or Snoke's backstory or other bullshit steeped in Star Wars mythology -- which they evidently don't give a fuck about anyway.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Marvel's done two Fortnite events.

I'd be shocked if the people who run Lucasfilm's marketing even know what Fortnite is.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or that it didn't make over a billion dollars in theaters and go on to be the top selling blu-ray of 2018.

The people who disliked TLJ are a tiny, but loud, minority, who don't matter in the slightest. Star Wars as a brand is fine, Lucasfilm just realized after Solo that they need to find their creative spine and start doing something interesting with the property now that the Episodes are over.

I mean I'll give them, yes, TLJ is not a "happy" film that leaves you thrilled going out of the theater. Even Daisy Ridley's initial reaction to the script seemed ... not thrilled. That's fine, that will happen.

But even if TLJ was everything SW fanatics who didn't enjoy it that checked off every box on their wish list ... SW would still be 2nd to MCU right now ... it's MCU's time and it's their "peak" and that's all there is to it. Star Wars is doing remarkably well for a 40+ year old film franchise.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love Star Wars. It's one of my all time favorite franchises. I loved Force Awakens, and enjoyed last Jedi. Rogue One and Solo were ok, too. But it was too much. It doesn't feel like a franchise that can sustain itself on yearly releases. It's, weird. It just feels better as a once every 2-3 year kind of deal.

That said, imagine a trilogy of movies that focused on a New Jedi Academy. Star Wars meets Harry Potter. Different Jedi houses to align with and lots of "Why do the Sith get a house?" questions. Kids love that stuff.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge SW fan, like Ep7, LOVE Ep8... but am not shocked. As others have pointed out, if you have no nostalgic love for the series the newest movies might be a little empty.

But as an added point - and this might seem hot-takey but whatever: I think SW has a huge problem with the non-film content, namely the books and TV serieses, being somewhere between elevated fanfiction and outright trash. I mean some of those books are unreadable. They have a quality control problem.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
People blaming this on the quality of TFA or TLJ are completely and utterly missing the point.

Those movies were designed based around expectations of older fans. Expectations that kids don't have nor care about. Kids don't give a shit if Luke is supposedly out of character, they don't give a shit about Luke at all.

Disagree as a older fan (saw ANH in 77) ....the sequel trilogy is a million miles from what I would have liked. Not sure who they made these movies for then, but imo they have dropped the ball hard.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
But as an added point - and this might seem hot-takey but whatever: I think SW has a huge problem with the non-film content, namely the books and TV serieses, being somewhere between elevated fanfiction and outright trash. I mean some of those books are unreadable. They have a quality control problem.
I'm curious, are you referring to the old EU, the new canon or both in general? For reference, I've never read a single Star Wars novel or comic book.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which 70s/80s brand is even that popular today?

Indiana Jones? Most kids have no clue.

E.T.? Most young kids again have no idea.

Ghostbusters? Nope.

Jaws? Ha.

Back to the Future? Nope.

These are popular to the extent they are today because of 30-40 somethings.

The fact that Star Wars is still very relevant as a brand today is an outlier, not the rule.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Ghostbusters? Nope.

Jaws? Ha.

Jurassic Park is still going strong (at least, it would be Universal didn't dilly-dally with Jurassic World 3)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jurassic Park is still going strong (at least, it would be if Jurassic World 3 were even in production)

Jurassic Park is a brand from the 1990s, not 70s/80s. That extra 15-20 years make a big difference. 90s nostalgia is the new thing, The Lion King, Jurassic Park, Aladdin, it's similar to how Star Wars had its own resurgance in the early/mid 1990s.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My nearest Wal-Mart seems to have given up on Star Wars toys

Although the MCU movies have a really terrible toy lineup, Hasbro is messing up unbelievably

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, are you referring to the old EU, the new canon or both in general? For reference, I've never read a single Star Wars novel or comic book.

Again this is all my opinion but broadly speaking: the old EU fell in the "trash" category for me (for example, I read the Zahn trilogy back in the day and couldn't believe how excited people were about the books. By about the 4th time Mara Jade's smile was described as "sardonic" I was ready to quit), and the current canon stuff in the "elevated fanfiction" bucket.

The new comics aren't bad.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

Ghostbusters? Nope.

Jaws? Ha.

The fact that Star Wars is still very relevant as a brand today is an outlier, not the rule.
It's doing pretty well.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of meat on that Star Wars bone but I don't think the creative side has had that unifying vision forward.

I'm frustrated that the best (and admittedly, the worst) stories of Star Wars aren't on film.

I also agree with the sentiment that Star Wars needs more "super heroes". More Jedi, more Sith, more Boba Fetts, more badasses in general.

Give me a morally ambiguous "grey Jedi" that's basically "space punisher" god damn it. There's no reason they can't create their own Star Wars superheroes once they're done with the Skywalkers.
Yeah, the ST doesn't have an all star cast of characters going for it as far as the new characters go. As much as I like the sequel trilogy I also don't like the idea that Rey is the only Jedi, Finn could have easily been one too, among others

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a huge SW fan, like Ep7, LOVE Ep8... but am not shocked. As others have pointed out, if you have no nostalgic love for the series the newest movies might be a little empty.

Story group is a disaster. They stifle creators and treat every piece of fiction like merchandise that has to tiptoe around the movies. Lucas was hands-off and it was a fucking mess but at least there was room for new ideas. I do not like the old EU and I never will, but the new EU is even worse. It's still bad, but now it's boring.

Plus the games are a non-entity, which is a colossal mistake coming from my generation's perspective. We understood Star Wars as a video game franchise almost on equal terms with the films. That legacy has basically dissolved.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Story group is a disaster. They stifle creators and treat every piece of fiction like merchandise that has to tiptoe around the movies. Lucas was hands-off and it was a fucking mess but at least there was room for new ideas. I do not like the old EU and I never will, but the new EU is even worse. It's still bad, but now it's boring.

Plus the games are a non-entity, which is a colossal mistake coming from my generation's perspective. We understood Star Wars as a video game franchise almost on equal terms with the films. That legacy has basically dissolved.

Yep to everything you said.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Again this is all my opinion but broadly speaking: the old EU fell in the "trash" category for me (for example, I read the Zahn trilogy back in the day and couldn't believe how excited people were about the books. By about the 4th time Mara Jade's smile was described as "sardonic" I was ready to quit), and the current canon stuff in the "elevated fanfiction" bucket.

The new comics aren't bad.
I see. Thank you.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The core story arc that Star Wars really needed to tell ... the whole thing about "falling/being tempted to the Dark Side" was basically already mined well enough in the original trilogy.

I just don't know if there is really a hugely compelling SW universe story without going back to that well, and when you're going back to the well it's never going to resonate as strongly as it did when it was a new concept.

It's easy to yell and say "do something new!" but I don't think it's that easy and there's zero guarantee that it will resonate in the same way the originals did. Sometimes a great idea is mined for all its worth and there's not much else that can be done with it. Indiana Jones tried to implement more sci-fi like staples such as aliens and people lost their shit.