• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars has always been lame I'm not surprised the younger generations don't give a fuck

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The extended material being mostly bad touches me because it was actually a video game(KOTOR 1 and 2) that actually got me into SWs. I had seen bits and pieces of the OT and prequels beforehand but I never really cared for them, thanks to the games I fell down a wookiepedia black hole and then I watched all the movies.

So yeah the worldbuilding aspect was a massive part of me getting into SWs.

The good EU stuff in the Disney era is mostly the comics/books which not many read and nearly all of them are rooted in the OT, there's hardly anything fleshing out the sequel era. Resistance cartoon couldn't lace CWs boots, Rebels was riding hard on the back of CWs but that too was yet another thing rooted in the OT.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You're not successful unless you reach and sustain Marvel numbers.

I'm sure Disney are reallllllly sad about that bargain bin price Lucas gave them. I mean putting Star Wars branding on literally everything can't be that lucrative can it? The movies only just make a billion, chump change I tell you.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly we're eventually going to hit the point where Marvel stuff isn't really landing with people anymore either. It's still absurd though as most film studios would kill to have something that does Star Wars numbers.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Funny people talking about how old Star Wars is and here these Marvel characters are mostly from the 60s now yeah I get that they aren't the same version and are modern or whatever but it still makes me laugh.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Why not. its been a pretty shitty property for the last twenty years and while the current series is getting flack for unceremoniously sending these characters out to pasture, its about fucking time.

You had so much great canon to draw from, but the mainstream movies just can't get their act together. While the Disney plus shows will help, starting off with a new IP that focuses on Boba Fett as if he didn't have his shine in multiple movies now doesnt bode well.

Its a waste of a property, give it to someone with an imagination that stretches beyond playing with luke and leia action figures

Oct 25, 2017
They have no chemistry. The original trio bounced off of one another really nicely. The sequel trilogy just keeps its main cast separated or only interacting with one member of the trio.
Thats actually one of my biggest issue with the sequel trilogy.

The characters are just too disconnected

Rey really needed stuff like
latest

or the Snowspeeder sequence before going lone jedi.

Finn and Poe had awesome chemistry but immediately get separated

Ackbar gets killed as an afterthought instead of him making the sacrifice and retaining Holdo to develop further later.

Star Wars is actually a pretty specific and narrow property. It's a big universe, yes, but with a limited theme and aesthetic.

The Marvel stuff is far more colorful and varied, with a literal rolodex of leading hero characters that are all cartoon, comic book, and toy-ready. (Star Wars has a vast cast as well, but the majority of them are supporting and background characters.)

Plus, as others have said, Star Wars is actually very inconsistent. Nothing in the franchise has ever landed like the original trilogy, and those movies are getting really old at this point. None of the characters created after the OT have ever had quite the appeal, even the ones that are pretty good.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

latest

Ackbar gets killed as an afterthought instead of him making the sacrifice and retaining Holdo to develop further later.
It fucking blew my mind that Rey and Poe just met at the end of TLJ. Like not even a "hey, I'll take care of our comatose buddy Finn while you go off and find Luke" at the end of TFA.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm/Disney is doing everything poorly except having the movies make money and even then they had the Solo disaster.
the movies are pretty universally (outside of Solo) seen as high quality films in addition to making money.

Outside of solo (which didn't get bad reviews, just decent) they are all critically acclaimed. Glowing in the cases of TFA and TLJ.

The fact that TFA and TLJ are seen as very good films by the vast majority of the audience of them is an important element to not overlook here.

Most blockbuster movies would die to have as positive of an audience reception as TFA and TLJ both got.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
The new trilogy has been garbage. The characters are flat out uinteresting wooden cutouts. Its just a bunch of nostalgia pandering.

There's not one new character that I care about in any way.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the movies are pretty universally (outside of Solo) seen as high quality films in addition to making money.

Outside of solo (which didn't get bad reviews, just decent) they are all critically acclaimed. Glowing in the cases of TFA and TLJ.

The fact that TFA and TLJ are seen as very good films by the vast majority of the audience of them is an important element to not overlook here.

Most blockbuster movies would die to have as positive of an audience reception as TFA and TLJ both got.

I very much doubt Bay and Paramount gave a damn about the audience reception of Transformers until The Last Knight flopped.

Oct 27, 2017
Man if you showed me this thread 5 years ago I would have though the ST films were bombs that were universally disliked rather then high grossing/high RT movies that people seemingly like

*shrug*

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man if you showed me this thread 5 years ago I would have though the ST films were bombs that were universally disliked rather then high grossing/high RT movies that people seemingly like

*shrug*
I mean... opinions change with time and perspective. A lot of people still do love them, but seeing the way the tide has begun to ebb away at Star Wars lately reminds me of how people were very positive on Dragon Age Inquisition initially, but it's now widely regarded as far more flawed and underwhelming, especially as other similar games in the genre came out and surpassed it.

As an example, look at the history of the reviews for The Phantom Menace. It's kinda of crazy to scroll to the earliest reviews and see that most of them are actually positive.
Episode 1 reviews

As you see critics weigh in over time over the many years, the positive reviews become less frequent. Time and perspective changed things, just as time and perspective will change the perception of TFA and TLJ.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think a comparison with the MCU is really saying much, Marvel is older than Star Wars and was always more fantastical, it just wasn't practical to get these characters and stories onto the big screen, fx needed to get there and it would have to be expensive so it doesn't look cheesy. That Marvel now blew up is because it was their time to shine, all things came together to finally make it happen.

Even if the Star Wars prequels were good in story and execution they still wouldn't have stopped Marvel from rising. There is still a lot of material left in Marvel history to bring to the big screen so I'm curious when these movies will lose their appeal, very hard to predict.

And Star Wars, it's time may simply has come to an end, at least as the biggest thing out there. Whatever they do next, they sort of need to introduce new characters because the sequel characters don't cut it, then they also rely on something new to tell, a different plot than superweapons get destroyed by young wizard with lasersword. Not sure they will ever get this on track again.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... opinions change with time and perspective. A lot of people still do love them, but seeing the way the tide has begun to ebb away at Star Wars lately reminds me of how people were very positive on Dragon Age Inquisition initially, but it's now widely regarded as far more flawed and underwhelming, especially as other similar games in the genre came out and surpassed it.

As an example, look at the history of the reviews for The Phantom Menace. It's kinda of crazy to scroll to the earliest reviews and see that most of them are actually positive.
Episode 1 reviews

As you see critics weigh in over time over the many years, the positive reviews become less frequent. Time and perspective changed things, just as time and perspective will change the perception of TFA and TLJ.
If anything the reception to TLJ is more positive now than it was December 2017 I would argue though. It seems people grow to like TLJ more as time goes by. More so with TLJ than with TFA in my experience.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Outside of Rey and Kylo, does anyone like any of the new characters? I'd say that's the biggest problem right there.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
"But that doesn't square with the success of Marvel, which reliably churns out a blockbuster every four to six months. "

Star Wars isn't Marvel. Marvel can flirt with different main genres, different main themes, different main aesthetics. Star Wars will always be sci-fi, will always have similar aesthetics.... The article writer is kind of reaching here.

Yes, but you can use that galaxy, that familiar aesthetic and tell different genres of stories with all new characters. Rouge One was basically a hiest movie. From what I've seen of the Mandalorian, it's a western. Han Solo failed because it was a story that didn't need to be told and you never felt any stakes because it took place in Han and Chewie's past. Once they can get past the Skywalker saga, there a chance for multitudes of storytelling. They just have to "Let the past die" first.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If anything the reception to TLJ is more positive now than it was December 2017 I would argue though. It seems people grow to like TLJ more as time goes by. More so with TLJ than with TFA in my experience.
We'll see. I'm the opposite. The more I think about the movie, the more plot holes, contrivances, and weird nonsense I come across that I otherwise overlooked or enjoyed beforehand.

I think it's too early to judge TLJ's place in the new trilogy, though. When ESB came out, the reception was NOT as positive because it was such a downer of a movie that ended with a lot of trauma, confusion, and arguments. We all know the "I am your father" twist now, but back then people were arguing for years whether or not Vader was just making it all up and lying to Luke about it. Three years later, one of the first things they had to do was have Obi-Wan go "yes, he is your father" to put that to rest.

RotJ put ESB in a more positive light, because much of its tragedy and conflict planted seeds that bore fruit in the big finale. Without a happy, satisfying conclusion, ESB would've been regarded for years as one of the biggest failings in movie history. They nailed the landing, which made all that build-up have satisfying payoff.

It remains to be seen if TLJ does the same.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

latest

Yep , It's inexcusable that it took to the end of the second film for the " new trio" to finally all be together. Barring some god tier conclusion I just cant see the ST trio having any lasting impression\impact on the
pop culture consciousness

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
It's almost as if...

There isn't as much depth to the Star Wars universe as its fans proselytize...

:(

wah

Oct 25, 2017
The comparison to Marvel is silly. Part of the reason fatigue set in for the Star Wars CU was because every movie's a Star Wars movie, and all related to the main story in some way or the other. Marvel films are largely built on unique experiences that, eventually, culminate. Star Wars is honestly the DC situation: they thought they had a CU in the bag.

Also I'm not entirely familiar with how toy sales are in general. Do Marvel toys do well for example?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with that conclusion. Every generation connects with different movies. This idea that Star Wars has to have the same mindshare it did decades ago is ridiculous.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I can see it especially because Marvel has been beating the shit out of them for kids attention. Seriously Marvel has like 2-3 movies out per year plus a couple of kids show depending on the year.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
I'm a passive fan of star wars and I think the new trilogy is kind of bullshit. Rey is such a Mary Sue, Finn gets nothing to do, and Poe is apparently supposed to be the Han Solo stand-in.

I thought force awakens was pretty decent, but last jedi was fucking ass. They have done such a shitty job building all principle villains aside from kylo that it's a shame. And with all this talk about subverting expectations, the one thing they could have done would have been for Kylo and Rey to team up. I would have been pumped. Instead, it's back to cookie cutter tropes when the MCU has been willing to readily and competently play with their storytelling formula.

It's no wonder kids don't give a shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Action figure sales in particular have been in the toilet pretty much across the board. It's becoming a toy line increasingly only bought by aging collectors.

That's kind of what I figured. Like, I've not really been in the loop, but I think it was just a natural result of an audience that doesn't find tie-in merchandising as appealing.

Oct 31, 2017
They lack vision and Star Wars is allegorical myth from a different age and time when distinct authorship curation had a chance to make an impact and stand out from the crowd. Today, people are flooded with media from all angles continuously and it takes so many cooks to work in the kitchens that everything inherently homogenizes.

Marvel isn't better, there's just more of it. That's the way to have distinction in today's media ecology: total saturation. Good thing Disney owns it all, huh.

I'm sorry, but new SW is nowhere close to even the Prequel films. This may not be the majority opinion, and it may never be the majority opinion to be honest, but I genuinely believe this.

New Star Wars is nothing but a pale imitation; fan-fiction to simply generate revenue.

I stepped out of Force Awakens with a radical re-interpretation and new-found appreciation for and understanding of the Prequel films.

This George Lucas interview with the awful Charlie Rose where he decries Disney is some decent insight:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Action figure sales in particular have been in the toilet pretty much across the board. It's becoming a toy line increasingly only bought by aging collectors.
What, you mean kids aren't lining up for the hot new Poe Dameron figures?
ineqo3hsm0vy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I prefer the newer films over the prequel trilogy, but I'd be lying if I said those movies weren't at least far superior when it came to aliens and character designs.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
Nice, going with sexist slurs. Real cool.

I am sure all the young girls who look up to Rey appreciate you using sexist terminology against her.

Mary Sue is not a sexist slur. I don't know how you came to even think that.

Regardless, my main point is that I'm extremely disappointed in Rey as a main protagonist in general. I WANT her to be better than what they put in the movies.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
What, you mean kids aren't lining up for the hot new Poe Dameron figures?
ineqo3hsm0vy.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I prefer the newer films over the prequel trilogy, but I'd be lying if I said those movies weren't at least far superior when it came to aliens and character designs.
Damn, Poe's seen some real shit.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mary Sue is not a sexist slur. I don't know how you came to even think that.

Regardless, my main point is that I'm extremely disappointed in Rey as a main protagonist in general. I WANT her to be better than what they put in the movies.
Mary Sue is an extremely sexist and offensive term and belittling of women across the board.

No one is going around calling Luke a "Mary sue" when blew up the Death Star having never flown a space ship or even been in space before for a reason.

Because he is a man. It's a a blatant and vile sexist term against women. And here you are doubling down on it. Really sad.

There is a reason the alt right love the term Mary Sue. Because it's fucking sexist.

It's beyond sexist and offensive you really should stop.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if we will ever get a non human like protagonist for Star wars? I dunno why Star wars has so many worlds and races, yet anything important is just humans.
Make a movie staring yoda or By alien like creatures.

Oh the while the old movies were bad, the new ones are worst.

And ffs, stop making dead Stars! The dead star is a meme at this point.