• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Ubisoft Entertainment SA, the video game publisher behind the "Assassin's Creed" franchise, is attracting preliminary takeover interest from buyout funds, people with knowledge of the matter said.

Several private equity firms including Blackstone Inc. and KKR & Co. have been studying the French business, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Ubisoft hasn't entered into any serious negotiations with potential acquirers, and it's unclear whether its major shareholder is willing to pursue a deal, the people said.

The family of Ubisoft Chairman Yves Guillemot is the company's biggest investor with a 15% stake, data compiled by Bloomberg show. Shares of Ubisoft have fallen 41% in Paris trading over the past year, giving it a market value of about 4.8 billion euros ($5.2 billion).

Deliberations are at an early stage, and there's no certainty any of the suitors will proceed with offers, the people said.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So...they aren't looking to be bought but a couple of big private equity firms are considering buying them? Is that what this means?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they literally fought tooth and nail over not going under Vivendi and now we are here

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, at this point, sell it.

Get some new management who have new ideas beyond "let people sexually harass everyone with no repercussions".

That, and fire the whole NFT lab.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
New management might be the only way to save them from cluelessly chasing shitty trends.
Anyway, not worth the big billions in my opinion.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so Sony's acquisition was Ubisoft after all.

Edit: jokes aside, I'll never forgive Ubisoft for what they did with Beyond Good & Evil 2, making that huge tech demo that no fan asked for.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
mmmm, why would investing firms want to buy a videogame publisher? Do they not usually just hold a minority of the shares for profit and that's it?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Several private equity firms...

qj5Dv2@large.gif

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Ubisoft is up there as the worst pubs / devs in the industry at the moment.
  • Employees getting sexually harrassed and upper management not doing SHIT (or they were doing it themselves)
  • Creatively bankrupt, games follow same formulas with very rare exceptions
  • they chase trends instead of trying to be the trend.
  • Their stocks are drastically down compared to several years ago. Wonder why
  • Investing in NFTs that literally <100 people want.

So it's not surprising someone would swoop in and buy them when they are at their lowest point. But if that happens, those fuckers who caused abused throughout the company better get reprimanded, fired and do whatever to make the victims feel justice has been served.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
New management is not going to stop making GAAS and focus into SP experiences lol
Of course not but they are keyword - cluessly -chasing trends. If you want to do that you need to be smarter or show some glimmer of innovation. Modern Ubisoft just loads shotgun with shit and sprays around it.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
oh no the fake BG&E2 game is definitely getting cancelled under big daddy KKR

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Don't think this will be a good outcome. :( Ubisoft creates a large amount of jobs. They generally don't outsource but rather in source. I fear that if anyone brings a drastic change in how the company operates, to justify their purchase, many people may lose their jobs.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
oh no the fake BG&E2 game is definitely getting cancelled under big daddy KKR
They'll just scale it back a bit, and instead of making a sequel for the 2003 video game, Ubisoft will just publish a sequel to the 1886 novel from Nietzsche. Can't wait for some of that hard hitting moral philosophy.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
What a comical waste of money that would be.

The major benefit I could see (outside of their IP library) is their gargantuan development force in a time of talent shortages. Aside from the serious workplace toxicity & harassment, they have one of the lowest revenue per employee numbers in the industry i.e., inefficiently managed. It's the structural production and management issues that plague them.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO

ubisoft would only get even worse in every bad aspect of their current approach to designing games if acquired by PE

and yes, they would almost certainly fire people by the boatload

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Private equity firms are notorious for good management and ethical business practices, so I imagine an Ubisoft acquisition by Blackstone could go swimmingly

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There is little surprise for me with this. Just earlier today they were valued at around 4 Billion dollars, obviously that wouldnt be the closing price for any such deal, but you can imagine Ubisoft would make that money back relatively quickly for anyone attempting to do so.

Gwendly_

May 27, 2020
good luck managing over 40 offices worldwide with 19k employees.

Couldn't they trim it down though?

Ubisoft has so many great IPs but they have been handled so poorly imo and part of that has been how much they've tied into MTX and engagement afterwards . If MS/Sony owned it some of the pressure to have pointless bloat and trinkets that bring the games down could be removed. So many of Ubi's games at the moment feels like they have so much extra bloat built in so that they can sell XP boosters etc. ; all the Ghost Recon games without that crap would be so much better imo.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The Guillemots leaving because of a takeover by fucking Blackstone would be some real monkey's paw shit. The last thing we need is giant equity firms that don't value the art running AAA publishers.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I can't imagine being private equitied would be good. Feel like that would only result in cutting out jobs/studios, squeezing more out of their games (which are already pretty juiced), and leaning more into the NFTs and such...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They've been a disaster for years now. Just terrible idea after terrible idea. Some good games in between, but a lot of bad ideas. It's kind of sad.

I don't think another gaming company taking them over is a good idea. They're too large to easily manage.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I honestly would always take a publisher in the games industry with a history of development, over money hats and investment firms.

I'd rather have copium that the IP can be saved instead of being 100% that it will be use as a financial asset and merchandising score.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point my apathy of Ubi is so strong I can't care about the thought of even PV firms buying them.
I want someone to give them a huge shakeup from top to bottom; their output has gotten so utterly stale beyond belief

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
I sure hope Sony or Microsoft (or freaking Google if they still have any ambition in this market) would interfere if they were willing to sell. Because hedge fund? That would be a disaster, for starters a lot of people would lose their jobs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Ubisoft has so many great IPs but they have been handled so poorly imo and part of that has been how much they've tied into MTX and engagement afterwards . If MS/Sony owned it some of the pressure to have pointless bloat and trinkets that bring the games down could be removed. So many of Ubi's games at the moment feels like they have so much extra bloat built in so that they can sell XP boosters etc. ; all the Ghost Recon games without that crap would be so much better imo.

Do you really want someone to buy Ubisoft and then fire thousands of people?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

They could, but it would be great if a company buyout doesn't result in thousands of people losing their job.