• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I just posted a gif in a thread that ive seen around here frequently...

giphy.gif

and immediately regretted it.

it strikes me as potentially a VERY insensitive thing that could bring up a lot of pain for people. Same with the finger gun to my head or the spoken line. Like meme's about rape, this should be frowned upon, right?

a few years ago we lost a really neat student at my school to gun suicide. while i'm not sure seeing this gif, or similar references are painful to me - they do make me think about this. I've since avoided making any "joke" like this while at school because of this incident.

anywho, just curious on others thoughts.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered where that gif is from

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are my thoughts on posting a gif from a hilariously overwrought christian video about links between rock music and suicide?

I think you're reaching more than they were.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Nobody killing themselves or thinking about it with that gif. Sometimes a guy suiciding is just a gif.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I just wonder what everyone's personal crossing the rubicon moment is in regards to political correctness of old humor. Don't get me wrong I totally get your point, but it's so obviously intentional satire of criticism of people talking about the damage of rock 'n' roll, I guess knowing the context of where it came from I never considered it could a trigger.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder what everyone's personal crossing the rubicon moment is in regards to political correctness of old humor. Don't get me wrong I totally get your point, but it's so obviously intentional satire of criticism of people talking about the damage of rock 'n' roll, I guess knowing the context of where it came from I never considered it could a trigger.

and i see that - and never knew the origin of the gif.

what about other examples? forgive me for again using a gif but we've all seen people do similar hand gestures.

7q1i.gif

isnt this pretty insensitive? can you imagine doing something like this showing your boredom in front of someone that lost a family member to gun assisted suicide? if thats not ok to do (i think thats obvious), shouldnt it be avoided in all scenarios?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing says concern about insensitive images like posting them in an OP.

I don't have any issues with the image in 99%of contexts but if you're genuinely concerned about dangerous outliers then don't post it.

OP
OP
Tappin Brews

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing says concern about insensitive images like posting them in an OP.

I don't have any issues with the image in 99%of contexts but if you're genuinely concerned about dangerous outliers then don't post it.

i did delete it from the original post i used it in and figured that the title would keep people out. while the title obvious could be a trigger, it was used to generate discussion that frankly is utterly lacking, but i think needed. i guess i failed. but if we are talking of it as a trigger, i suppose i was right.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry but thats one of my favorite gifs.
i'm always listening to music so when i'm frustrated with life it just kinda fits

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Should people make fun of suicide? Absolutely not. But knowing the context of that gif, it's a hilarious gif.

However, I understand the point you're making so let's discuss the generic point. Take Barney's bored gesture, which is pretty universal at this point. I agree it'd be very insensitive to do in front of someone who lost someone to gun suicide. But this gesture has become a norm. In the 90's, we had a sitcom called "Just Shoot Me" (sidenote: It's a great sitcom). We repeat this phrase all the time when frustrated. Again, given current climate of frequent mass shootings this is a highly insensitive phrase. Yet it has become normalized. Where do you draw the line?

I think this scenario can be modeled to a long tail scenario:
1200px-Long_tail.svg.png

So let's call the horizontal axis, "Number of people offended/triggered", and let's call the vertical axis "Phrase/gesture within cultural norm causing offense/trigger". Now we can see that, no matter what, some gesture or phrase will ALWAYS cause someone offense. Correct?

So we have to draw the line at an efficient point. Minimally causing trigger. Given that, now we can do some research on the specific usage of that gif, or the phrases we have been discussing and track their search heatmap over say....the last decade.

The graphs seem to be normalized to 100 peak, and free trends do not provide additional analytics. So let's multiply the numbers by a million.

I trended "suicide gif", it was consistently below 10 (million) per month from 2004 to 2014, then trended upwards from 10m - 40m spiking to 100m on Aug 2016 (guessing due to Suicide Squad coming out), and then trended from 40m to 20m till now.

I trended "gun to head" and this is a bit more interesting, spiked in September 2005 to 100m (anyone know why?), but otherwise been pretty consistent between 30m to 90m since then.

I trended "blow my brains", very interesting, Spiked at Jan 2004 at 100m, then again at October 2005 at 100m and have been at or below 25m per month since 2005.

So looking at those figures, what can we ascertain? I am curious on your (all of you) thoughts. I wish I could share the graphs, but maybe you guys could perform the same trend searches and validate my research.

I think specifically there have been no upward trends or ticks of these phrases, so we should be ok as the number of people being interested in these phrases seem to be fairly consistent aside from the spikes at fall of 2005. And that particular spike is very curious.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think of suicide frequently and im very unwell. However, that gif isnt making fun of unwell people, its an absolutely absurd propaganda video and impossible to take as a slight against the mentally unstable.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was from a propaganda video so I'm thankful for that but if info.

I've seen the gif a million times and never thought once about how it might be making others feel. I've also, in conversation, used similar hyperbole when describing how boring/annoying/unappealing an experience is.

So if nothing else, this thread will help me think more about what I say in jest. I do have people close to me who I know deal with depression... And there are probably others around me and I don't have a clue.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I've seen that gif and used myself it multiple times. Don't really find it troublesome or inappropriate.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That line of thinking is more problematic than the gif imo. If every subject that can be offensive to someone becomes taboo then basically everything becomes as such. My mom passed away half my life ago, does it mean if someone makes a mom joke I should run to the authorities? It's best to learn to just laugh at situations even if they are tragic in a way. Suicide may not be funny in itself but the gif can be hilarious when used the right way, such as when any new Sonic the Hedgehog content is revealed.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Anything can be potentially insensitive. Should we not post gifs of dogs? Even though there might be someone here who has been attacked and maimed by one? There is nothing wrong with posting gifs unless you're using them in a poor way like posting that gun to the head gif in a thread about someone that actually committed suicide.

Oct 30, 2017
I think the gif is used as an overt dramatization of disappointment or an attitude of "welp, fuck it I guess."

Example:

New Orleans gets 1st overall pick in the NBA draft

New York Knicks fans:

giphy.gif

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
and i see that - and never knew the origin of the gif.

what about other examples? forgive me for again using a gif but we've all seen people do similar hand gestures.

7q1i.gif

isnt this pretty insensitive? can you imagine doing something like this showing your boredom in front of someone that lost a family member to gun assisted suicide? if thats not ok to do (i think thats obvious), shouldnt it be avoided in all scenarios?
If someone finds it offensive because they lost a family member to gun assisted suicide, that's unfortunate, but it doesn't really change anything. A lot of things can be viewed as insensitive. If you're in a boring class and you do the finger gun to the head when glancing at your friend, there's nothing wrong with it. If you do the finger guns in front of someone who you know has suffered from an event like that, that's obviously an asshole move. Moreover, if you don't know, that person can bring it up and then you become aware of it and apologize. Context.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you OP. I remember thinking that scene was pretty funny back when I'd seen that episode, but when I used it as a gif later on, I just felt awful and never used it again.

I may take issue with this gif in particular because of the way Barney plummets there. It feels too graphic for me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we shouldn't show this photo of a dead baby anymore either
Here is the Photo:

edit: dammit Powdered Egg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This gif is one I used to post on Facebook after way too many elections.. I think that it's usually understood as an expression of frustration and disappointment, and personally, I don't think it needs to be censored, if the context is clear.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly anything can be problematic in the right (wrong?) contexts. I do not say that to be dismissive, there are absolutely situations where posting gifs like that would be horrendous - I just don't think that is the case in most contexts.

There are people who have had terrible experiences regarding nearly everything, and we should be respectful to those people. However, we cannot 100% safeguard against offending og disturbing someone no matter what we post. I will of course acknowledge that a gif of someone putting a gun to their head is a bit more provocative than many other things.

My opinion: using that gif as a metaphor in a gaming thread is ok, using it in a violent crime or mental health thread absolutly is not. Context is important.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nah, that's a hilarious gif that is obviously a joke. I've lost a good friend to gun suicide but it doesn't offend me, the same way that the Scott Pilgrim one doesn't either. Just don't go posting them in the mental health OT and you're fine.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It might be insensitive in a vacuum but in context it's funny because it's so absurd. If it was from a film or television show of someone actually committing suicide in a serious manner, I'd be more inclined to think it's shitty.

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Conedy is situational and contextual. Maybe blasting the gif out on the internet/social media is insensitive because you're not going to know who will see it. Posting the gif in a group chat with strangers who you don't know their life history also may lead to some bad times. Posting a gif like this with your best friends who all understand the context of the gif, the conversation, and know they're not going to have past trauma dug up about it is fine/hilarious.

And even then, they're your best friends so if it does create an issue I'd hope we'd be able to apologize and discuss and know that these types of things upset them and then don't flippantly post or joke about these topics in the future.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not like it's a gif of Budd Dwyer. I think it's hilarious, and not used as often as it should be.