• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so a few years ago, I picked up a Blue Yeti. Loved it. Sounded great, had a headphone jack that was really useful, awesome mic!
Until one day, I go to use it and it isn't picking up audio. Windows can see it, and it can see a sort of background amount of static, just electronic noise, but it can't pick up my voice at all. Reinstalled drivers, used different ports, did the works. No change -- Using the headphone monitoring jack shows the same thing Windows sees -- no recorded audio or voice, just background static.

Okay, whatever, things can slip through QA, but you know what? I can get an AT2020 for a bit cheaper. So I do that, and long story short with that is unless you're on Windows 7, the AT2020 will never be louder than a strangled mouse.

Fast forward some years later, I think hey, ya know what? I think I liked that Blue Yeti, and despite it breaking on me, it was pretty nice to have. So I order another one. Love it, sounds great, everyone can hear me, it's awesome!

Until today. Exact same symptoms as last time -- No audio other than background static, Windows sees it just fine, and nothing is being recorded from the mic at all.

What gives Era? Do I have a malicious microphone ghost? Or do these things have the reliability of a blind sniper?
And before anyone asks, I know how to use the volume dial and mute button, and changing the gain does nothing but change the background static noise.

Dozer1003

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL
I don't want to be that guy but make sure the field switch isn't between 2 of the settings, I believe that turns off all of the mics in there..

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my second blue yeti right now. First one about a year ago inexplicably went through something similar to your story, OP.

I love em but they seem pretty damn fragile

OP
OP
Astral Lovelace
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my second blue yeti right now. First one about a year ago inexplicably went through something similar to your story, OP.

I love em but they seem pretty damn fragile
I mean I wish I had mine for a year. I've had this one two weeks!

I don't want to be that guy but make sure the field switch isn't between 2 of the settings, I believe that turns off all of the mics in there..
Don't worry I've dicked that dial enough to know it isn't that.

Oct 27, 2017
I use a similar tier microphone, the Samson c01u, very similar in price and sound quality

sad to read that yours is faulty, i'd recommend a new purchase

OP
OP
Astral Lovelace
Oct 25, 2017
I use a similar tier microphone, the Samson c01u, very similar in price and sound quality

sad to read that yours is faulty, i'd recommend a new purchase
Yeah, but here's the thing: Can I adjust the gain and volume of this mic in Windows 10? Because you can't do that with USB mics in Windows 8 or 10, and that's why the AT2020 sucks donkey nuts for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but here's the thing: Can I adjust the gain and volume of this mic in Windows 10? Because you can't do that with USB mics in Windows 8 or 10, and that's why the AT2020 sucks donkey nuts for me.

You can absolutely do this in Audacity, fairly easy fix

If you want to do it without the help of a DAW, going to your audio settings in the control panel should be a fast adjustment

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought a Blue Yeti for my YouTube channel/podcast and I love it.

But yeah, I'd look into the warranty