• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the mystery game, Era?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 2,053 62.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 596 18.0%
  • The Legend of Dragoon

Votes: 272 8.2%
  • Syphon Filter

Votes: 143 4.3%
  • SOCOM

Votes: 116 3.5%
  • Ico

Votes: 128 3.9%

• Total voters

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel demon souls needs remastering as they have done some of the newer souls remastered already and also as how Konami is I doubt its Metal Gear though would be cool.

Don't really know what they would be working though, maybe its a Tomb Raider 1 reboot as Square is probably done with Tomb Raider atm and could have made a deal with Sony for the next one? and Tomb Raider would definitely be a big game for Bluepoint to Remake.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Since they didn`t say exclusive maybe is not but it is weird to say a third is working on a game for it that will not be exclusive.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I'm gonna mend the hell out of Boletaria if it's Demon's Souls.
With pretty as fuck 4k graphics and 60 fps gameplay, Raytracing, SSD loading, re-envisioned gameplay mechanics and haptics feedback triggers for Archery.

Boletaria open world.

Coming to a PlayStation 5 near you on launch day November 2020

22SWjTB.gif

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so. I'm not entirely familiar with their output. I think it would certainly fit their description of their next title being something that goes beyond what they have done in the past
I'd really love to see a new game made by them. I think there are very talented people over there. Of course it remains to be seen whether they have the talent for creating a good story and meaningful game, but they're surely technically capable and impressive.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Would Bluepoint creating a sixth archstone be the first time they will have created new content from scratch?
No, there were some new easter eggs with new smallish areas in SOTC. Nothing comparable to what multiple levels in a From Software title could entail, but until now that's the only circumstance where they've created new, original assets (many others being new, only based on previous material).

All this sixth archstone talk is similar to people expecting new colossi for SOTC; the chances for both happening are pretty slim.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No, there were some new easter eggs with new smallish areas in SOTC. Nothing comparable to what multiple levels in a From Software title could entail, but until now that's the only circumstance where they've created new, original assets (many others being new, only based on previous material).

All this sixth archstone talk is similar to people expecting new colossi for SOTC; the chances for both happening are pretty slim.
could be dlc!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Would Bluepoint creating a sixth archstone be the first time they will have created new content from scratch?

I think technically it wouldnt be from scratch if they use the unfinished content from the disc to work from. There is iirc some "bones" of the 6th archstone world that modders have explored, obviously it's very unfinished but there is already some work done, plus the lore is already established, and Miyazaki would surely have plenty of notes or concept art for BP to work from

The largest scale BP has worked on to date was SotC, and that was just new graphics and some minor gameplay additions. Finishing the 6th archstone would absolutely be the biggest scope of changes in a remaster/remake they have done

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I really don't think people are being realistic by expecting them to create an entirely new area for a Souls game without From's input at all. If Miyazaki and the team were involved in the project, MAYBE, but not with them stepping back like this.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Demon's Souls remaster is going to happen at some point anyways, so I'm hoping this is something different for that reason alone. Would be fine if it's another remake of MGS1 but I'd prefer to see re-imagined, modern versions of the first two MSX Metal Gear games. I'd be happy if this is Ico as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Demon's Souls remaster is going to happen at some point anyways, so I'm hoping this is something different for that reason alone. Would be fine if it's another remake of MGS1 but I'd prefer to see re-imagined, modern versions of the first two MSX Metal Gear games. I'd be happy if this is Ico as well.

I still don't understand why people are talking about Metal Gear in a thread about what is being positioned as a partnership with Sony.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why people are talking about Metal Gear in a thread about what is being positioned as a partnership with Sony.
I'm only commenting on it because it's in the poll and not because I think it's a likely outcome, but to play devil's advocate, Silicon Knights made a Metal Gear Solid remake while in a partnership with Nintendo. It's really not that far-fetched.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only commenting on it because it's in the poll and not because I think it's a likely outcome, but to play devil's advocate, Silicon Knights made a Metal Gear Solid remake while in a partnership with Nintendo. It's really not that far-fetched.

Silicon Knights still developed the game for Konami, though. Nintendo just helped them out with it.

I don't really see Sony going whole-hog on funding a PS5 remake of a third party game when they have the CREATOR of that series helping them out on other projects but he's prohibited from even consulting on said remake. It would be spitting in Kojima's face for very little value, especially considering Konami would almost assuredly want any Metal Gear remake to be multiplatform.

Deleted member 29909

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why the hell anyone would want a 6th archstone without FROM's involvement is beyond me. Like retranslating a classic novel and asking the translator to add a few new chapters "to flesh things out." Fucking ridiculous.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What's complicated about the rights? Doesn't SE own everything LoK related outright?

The PC rights to Blood Omen are a legal quagmire, as the game was published by Activision, and Silicon Knights also had some rights to it left after their breakup with Crystal Dynamics. (Silicon Knights later went bankrupt after losing a lawsuit to Epic over Too Human, and I doubt if anyone knows who got the rights after that)

It's the reason why Blood Omen isn't available for sale on PC, still.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bluepoint Twitter poll:

flUM5vW.png

ERA poll:

uQyHlXd.png

Bottom line:

dNlZTjd.png

I would honestly be pretty okay with them wasting time on an ICO remake because I would absolutely not have to buy it. I'd outright thank them for saving me some money.

A Legend of Dragoon remake would just make me laugh out loud because that game deserves to be forgotten.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Knights still developed the game for Konami, though. Nintendo just helped them out with it.

I don't really see Sony going whole-hog on funding a PS5 remake of a third party game when they have the CREATOR of that series helping them out on other projects but he's prohibited from even consulting on said remake. It would be spitting in Kojima's face for very little value, especially considering Konami would almost assuredly want any Metal Gear remake to be multiplatform.

This.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Why the hell anyone would want a 6th archstone without FROM's involvement is beyond me. Like retranslating a classic novel and asking the translator to add a few new chapters "to flesh things out." Fucking ridiculous.
In all honesty, Bluepoint deserves to try out their hand at a Fantasy Rpg. Let them create new content.

They have the blueprints down with Demon Souls anyhow, so I'm confident they can create content in the same tone and aesthetic as what they're trying to re-envision.

If Demon Souls ends up being Bluepoint's own spin on the Souls formula, I am down for that too.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think a Demon's Souls remaster would be system selling software for me. Like pre-ordering a console, something I haven't done in a decade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. It already sucked even 20 years ago, I can't believe so many people want to bring it back...

Seriously. There are plenty of better PS1 RPGs they could bring back. Why fixate on the awkward, sexist, badly-written one with a terrible combat system? Is it just because the dragoon armor looks cool?

Big G

Oct 27, 2017

That's a fair point. Yeah, something MG-related would be highly unlikely.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
who says that part would be completely without from's involvement?

art, lore, and some skeleton of level design have already been made. they could involve some consultants from from and some of the people at sony that worked on bloodborne. direct involvement from miyazaki is not a requirement.

also, it would be a big step up for bluepoint to design their own content. many people want to see them succeed and grow as a studio

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sep 14, 2019
All of the three most popular choices seem really iffy. People seem to think Demon's Souls is soft-confirmed when really nothing is pointing to it. I also feel like they wouldn't downright remake DeS without From Software's input - the most we'd get is probably a remaster, which sounds too small for how much they're hyping up this project. Metal Gear Solid honestly does not make much sense, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony did end up trying to get a remake of one of the games as an exclusive for Playstation. Legend of Dragoon could be it, but I think it's even less likely than Demon's Souls - the demand isn't there, even if it does fill a niche that Sony really needs to fill (talking only about Sony-created games).

One that I think might make more sense is something like Syphon Filter. It's a first party stealth game in an era that's extremely lacking in those, and with Bend still a part of Sony's WWS, Bluepoint could easily consult with Bend anytime they wanted advice on the remaking of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
All of the three most popular choices seem really iffy. People seem to think Demon's Souls is soft-confirmed when really nothing is pointing to it. I also feel like they wouldn't downright remake DeS without From Software's input - the most we'd get is probably a remaster, which sounds too small for how much they're hyping up this project. Metal Gear Solid honestly does not make much sense, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony did end up trying to get a remake of one of the games as an exclusive for Playstation. Legend of Dragoon could be it, but I think it's even less likely than Demon's Souls - the demand isn't there, even if it does fill a niche that Sony really needs to fill (talking only about Sony-created games).

One that I think might make more sense is something like Syphon Filter. It's a first party stealth game in an era that's extremely lacking in those, and with Bend still a part of Sony's WWS, Bluepoint could easily consult with Bend anytime they wanted advice on the remaking of the game.
why would bluepoint be able to easily consult with bend, but not with from software and/or sony people that worked on bloodborne?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017

While obviously not confirmed, Schrier saying there's a Demon Soul's remake/remaster in development and voting for it in this very poll is a pretty strong indication.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't see any value in a Syphon Filter remake. The Last of Us is already a stealth game and almost all of their open world games (INCLUDING Death Stranding) feature stealth mechanics.

Syphon Filter is just a standard shooter, really, and Sony has more than enough shooters. The ONLY thing about it that stands out is that wonderful taser, and that thing would probably get 'modernized' (read: no more dudes catching fire from being tased too much) in a full-spec remake. What would be the point?

Sep 14, 2019
why would bluepoint be able to easily consult with bend, but not with from software and/or sony people that worked on bloodborne?
I mean, they absolutely could. Hence why I think Demon's Souls makes almost as much sense (just not to the extent of it being soft confirmed). But also, From Software is already busy on a Souls-like (which is what Elden Ring has already confirmed to be), they aren't going to spend a lot of their time or attention on consulting a remake. Honestly, it would be way better if a remake of Demon's Souls was actually made by From Software, not just if they were consultants.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see any value in a Syphon Filter remake. The Last of Us is already a stealth game and almost all of their open world games (INCLUDING Death Stranding) feature stealth mechanics.

Syphon Filter is just a standard shooter, really, and Sony has more than enough shooters. The ONLY thing about it that stands out is that wonderful taser, and that thing would probably get 'modernized' (read: no more dudes catching fire from being tased too much) in a full-spec remake. What would be the point?

Yeah, I don't really think there's a need for Syphon Filter to come back. It was a reasonably decent alternative to MGS back in the day, but Sony's not short of TPSs or stealth games so it wouldn't really bring anything new to the table.

That being said, I would give a kidney for an update of the original Alundra! I always felt Sony should have stuck with it and made it their equivalent to Zelda.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
All of the three most popular choices seem really iffy. People seem to think Demon's Souls is soft-confirmed when really nothing is pointing to it. I also feel like they wouldn't downright remake DeS without From Software's input - the most we'd get is probably a remaster, which sounds too small for how much they're hyping up

Everything has been pointing to Demon Souls. Jason voting on the poll, teasing it for months and Bluepoint hiring staff that fits the Souls theme, can't be more in your face about it.

It's like people actively fight against the thought of a Souls game exclusive to a console system on Era.

Ain't Sony's fault for being smart and locking down not one, but 2 bankable Souls IP's from Fromsoftware for their own PlayStation library. (Demon Souls and Bloodborne). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't really think there's a need for Syphon Filter to come back. It was a reasonably decent alternative to MGS back in the day, but Sony's not short of TPSs or stealth games so it wouldn't really bring anything new to the table.

That being said, I would give a kidney for an update of the original Alundra! I always felt Sony should have stuck with it and made it their equivalent to Zelda.

Alundra reimagined would certainly be interesting. Though honestly, if we're talking freaky dreamlike long-shot RPGs I'd just want something like Folklore to come back instead. That art style was so beautiful but it came out too early in the PS3's life to ever have a chance to thrive. :(

Jun 13, 2018

The original Syphon Filter games weren't really stealth, they were more spy action. The gameplay, tone and setpieces could be modernized and made to be like a video game version of a Mission: Impossible movie. I'd love to see it, probably won't happen though.