• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the mystery game, Era?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 2,053 62.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 596 18.0%
  • The Legend of Dragoon

Votes: 272 8.2%
  • Syphon Filter

Votes: 143 4.3%
  • SOCOM

Votes: 116 3.5%
  • Ico

Votes: 128 3.9%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They both have huge nostalgia appeal esp to people whose last console was a PS1 which is what made Crash remakes such a success
That's what Sony will be looking for

They've tried to revive Twisted Metal and it didn't work. I don't think we'll ever see the series again. Car combat just isn't really big anymore and gaming seems to have kind of grown past mid-90s forced-edginess.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
How do we know this isn't an original IP? These guys and gals are so talented I want to see them do something unique.

With that being said, I would love a Legend of the Dragoon remake ala FF:VII remake.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They've tried to revive Twisted Metal and it didn't work. I don't think we'll ever see the series again. Car combat just isn't really big anymore and gaming seems to have kind of grown past mid-90s forced-edginess.

I would be surprised if Twisted Metal isn't a franchise they revive for PSVR2. I expect at least a few dormant PlayStation IPs to get a spotlight there.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Brain says DeS or Metal Gear 1&2 or MGS remakes, heart says LoD, Wild Arms or anty other PS1 JRPG remake.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Sony reboot Legend of Dragoon? It's pretty crazy how often it comes up in threads like this. Sony's sitting on so many IPs.

Jun 13, 2018

Twisted Metal will definitely be back in some form at some point, (maybe not with Jaffe involved). The 2012 game did a lot of great things but had some serious issues, but reviving it as some kind of ongoing FTP could work, maybe even a Killer Instinct formula.

But the series at its best was never "forced edginess", but like an irreverent Twilight Zone-type thing, whether it's the more over-the-top TM 2 version, or the dark horror TM Black vibe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Sony reboot Legend of Dragoon? It's pretty crazy how often it comes up in threads like this. Sony's sitting on so many IPs.

Probably because Legend of Dragoon wasn't very good. It doesn't help that Sony doesn't care about the RPG genre, so reviving any of their massive graveyard of abandoned RPG franchises seems unlikely at this point.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I mean if their developers want to make new things, why not? If there's a team willing to take it on, depending on the desire, budget and market interest, they'll do it. Same happened with Sly Cooper and Twisted Metal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Twisted Metal will definitely be back in some form at some point, (maybe not with Jaffe involved). The 2012 game did a lot of great things but had some serious issues, but reviving it as some kind of ongoing FTP could work, maybe even a Killer Instinct formula.

But the series at its best was never "forced edginess", but like an irreverent Twilight Zone-type thing, whether it's the more over-the-top TM 2 version, or the dark horror TM Black vibe.

I just don't think the gaming audience has any interest in a multiplayer-only car combat game in the current era. Maybe if they tried to do it F2P-style like Rocket League, but as a full priced $60 retail product? Nah.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
While obviously not confirmed, Schrier saying there's a Demon Soul's remake/remaster in development and voting for it in this very poll is a pretty strong indication.

When did he come out and say it was in development. Or are you talking about where he simply answered yes in a thread asking if people think the game will get remade?

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017

Vigilante 8 was better anyway.

Fighting words yeah yeah....

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
So is the poll choice supposed to mean Demon's Souls remastered or Demon's Souls 2?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
When did he come out and say it was in development. Or are you talking about where he simply answered yes in a thread asking if people think the game will get remade?
Yeh that's what I'm basing it on, hinting would have been a better word for it. He would have qualified, considering the reaction, if it was just his own speculation and not based on any inside knowledge. Also him voting in this poll is another sign. Then again he could just be messing with folk.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
zmzuHrP.png

*Era users: LEGEND OF DRAGOON*

*Me*

source.gif

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
Yeh that's what I'm basing it on, hinting would have been a better word for it. He would have qualified, considering the reaction, if it was just his own speculation and not based on any inside knowledge. Also him voting in this poll is another sign. Then again he could just be messing with folk.

Or he could just think it will happen someday and not have any knowlege of it actually being in development now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
because it was a bad game that failed to light the charts on fire back when that style of game was at the height of its popularity. today, the demand for that style of game is low and the cost of producing it at the fidelity expected today is orders of magnitude higher than it was back then. the calculus should be fairly simple

Jun 13, 2018
I just don't think the gaming audience has any interest in a multiplayer-only car combat game in the current era. Maybe if they tried to do it F2P-style like Rocket League, but as a full priced $60 retail product? Nah.

Yeah maybe not a full $60 release. Some other F2P-type format could be really good though. Either way it's not what Bluepoint's doing, no matter how much I'd want that.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Ps1 assets are so old bluepoint would need to build an action RPG from scratch, with no guarantee the game would sell since the license is ancient, and Dragoon was barely over a million in the first place.

There's no coherent argument for making Dragoon over Demon's. The latter takes less work, has greater name recognition, and is set up for multiplayer.
It's very unlikely that Sony has access to Demons Souls assets and source code. From Soft is not first party and uses their own propietary engine.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's very unlikely that Sony has access to Demons Souls assets and source code. From Soft is not first party and uses their own propietary engine.

Uh? Sony owns that IP, not From. Why wouldn't they have access to the assets and source code that they own?

edit:
Demon's Souls was developed by FromSoftware, a developer noted for creating the King's Field and Armored Core series.[10] The project was first proposed and supported by SCE Japan Studio.[11][12] Demon's Souls was directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, who had joined the company in 2004 and worked as a coder on the Armored Core series.[13] The game was co-produced by FromSoftware's Masanori Takeuchi and Sony's Takeshi Kajii.[14][15] The concept of reviving a "lost breed of action game" was first proposed by Kajii.[11] Due to the team lacking a coherent vision, the original project had run into difficulties. Hearing about a high fantasy role-playing game which was considered a failure within the company, Miyazaki decided that if he could take over the project he could take it in any direction he wanted. Since it was already flagging, it did not matter if his own efforts failed.[13] Including this early work, production of the game took approximately three years.[13][16] The team was made up of veteran developers and older staff members.[16]

Sony co-produced that and owns all of the IP. Of course they have the source code.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Why the hell anyone would want a 6th archstone without FROM's involvement is beyond me. Like retranslating a classic novel and asking the translator to add a few new chapters "to flesh things out." Fucking ridiculous.
Haha! I personally want a restored sixth arch stone, but I LOVE this point of view. It totally makes sense to feel this way.

But for me, if the base game is faithful to the original, I'd be fine with them doing whatever they want beyond the sixth arch stone just to see what they can bring to the table.

If it's screwed up, fans will just look at that extra shit as non-canon anyways.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Sony owns the game, and don't Souls games use Sony's PhyreEngine?
The game binary yes, that does not necesarily means the source.
About Phyre I don't know, I don't see From in the list of companies that use that engine on Wikipedia, the flexible license could mean they can use it no string attached.

It's just speculation on my part but the fact that neither Demons Souls nor Bloodborne have been updated since From stopped working on them leads me to believe so.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I love that Socom is in the standing.

It has to be either Legend of Dragoon, or Socom. And a bit more unlikely... Metal Gear Solid or Demon Souls. I think itll be one of the first two.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Uh? Sony owns that IP, not From. Why wouldn't they have access to the assets and source code that they own?

edit:

Sony co-produced that and owns all of the IP. Of course they have the source code.
From did the game working as a contractor, Sony owns the binary but if they would own the source that would mean that they also own From's engine.

Just speculation, but Demons has not been ported to PS4 and Bloodborne has not been updated since From moved to other projects, which leads me to believe that's the case.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's probably Demon's Souls, but man, it would be wild if they brought back Syphon Filter. Especially in this day and age where Metal Gear Solid is in a state of flux and Splinter Cell would just be a microtransaction-filled shell of its former self were it to return now.

Syphon Filter with the same mission structure as the original and some deep stealth mechanics would go down a real treat.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
From did the game working as a contractor, Sony owns the binary but if they would own the source that would mean that they also own From's engine.

Just speculation, but Demons has not been ported to PS4 and Bloodborne has not been updated since From moved to other projects, which leads me to believe that's the case.

Demon's hasn't been ported because unlike Dark Souls that game needed a centralized server to run. Not having that server on and running breaks the game. World tendency breaks, summons don't work, can't leave messages, etc. Dark Souls is P2P so it doesn't matter.

Sony only turned off the PS3 server for Demon's last year in 2018.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Probably because Legend of Dragoon wasn't very good. It doesn't help that Sony doesn't care about the RPG genre, so reviving any of their massive graveyard of abandoned RPG franchises seems unlikely at this point.
It doesn't have to be traditional RPG. They could do something in a style somewhat similar to Nier Automata in terms of gameplay and it would be awesome, since it also kinda fits with the premise of the game.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

Sony has access to assets, source codes, audio files, animations, propietary engine access, intellectual property, etc.

That's what happens when you have publishing rights and own an IP in its entirety.

Sony decides what happens with Demon Souls / Bloodborne.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Sony has access to assets, source codes, audio files, animations, propietary engine access, intellectual property, etc.

That's what happens when you have publishing rights and own an IP in its entirety.

Sony decides what happens with Demon Souls / Bloodborne.
Demons was published by Atlus in USA and Namco in Europe though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be traditional RPG. They could do something in a style somewhat similar to Nier Automata in terms of gameplay and it would be awesome, since it also kinda fits with the premise of the game.

How would that fit at all? You have a whole party of people to manage. Hack and slash would be terrible for something like that. 50+ hours of just mashing an attack button = no thanks. Especially not with that story attached to it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
because it was a bad game that failed to light the charts on fire back when that style of game was at the height of its popularity. today, the demand for that style of game is low and the cost of producing it at the fidelity expected today is orders of magnitude higher than it was back then. the calculus should be fairly simple

Harsh but true.