• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the mystery game, Era?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 2,053 62.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 596 18.0%
  • The Legend of Dragoon

Votes: 272 8.2%
  • Syphon Filter

Votes: 143 4.3%
  • SOCOM

Votes: 116 3.5%
  • Ico

Votes: 128 3.9%

• Total voters

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Because Sony chose not to publish it in the US or EU because they considered the game a failure in Jp.
Hmm, I didn't know that.
Guess that could mean they own the source as well, I just find it strange that with all the studios Sony owns they haven't touched Bloodborne to improve the framerate or release a Pro patch.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hmm, I didn't know that.
Guess that could mean they own the source as well, I just find it strange that with all the studios Sony owns they haven't touched Bloodborne to improve the framerate or release a Pro patch.

Yep.

Demon's Souls was first announced in early October 2008 through that week's issue of Famitsu, with the game being playable at the Tokyo Game Show (TGS) the following week.[25]Reaction to the TGS demo was described by Kajii as "nothing short of a disaster" due to its unexpectedly challenging nature. Many people assumed the game's combat was still in development, with Kajii lamenting that the game was unsuited for a demo environment.[11] Sony president Shuhei Yoshida was also dismissive of the game. When he play-tested it, he spent two hours playing the game and failed to get beyond the starting area. Believing it to be simply poor quality, he called it "an unbelievably bad game".[21]

Demon's Souls released in Japan on February 5, 2009 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan.[26] Due to negative feedback from Sony staff and the Japanese press, Sony decided against localizing the game for Western markets, a decision Sony and Yoshida in particular later regretted.[21][27] Sony did create an English text version of the game for the Asian market.[28] This version was translated by Active Gaming Media.[29] The Chinese language version was released on February 26.[30]

A disastrous TGS demo combined with "mixed" reviews from the Jp press and Jp gamers, Sony decided not to localize it. Atlus picked it up for a US localization, but being a small publisher they had almost no resources to market and promote the game. I recall seeing some very interesting previews of it on the old forum as well as in the gaming enthusiast press, but other than that the game was pretty much just dumped on shelves with little fanfare.

Despite this, Demon's souls became a cult hit and just kept on selling entirely through word of mouth- somewhere between 1-2 million copies which far exceeded the expectations for the game. Had DeS had even half the marketing budget and support that Dark Souls did, it would have been a smash hit instead of a slow burn.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

A disastrous TGS demo combined with "mixed" reviews from the Jp press and Jp gamers, Sony decided not to localize it. Atlus picked it up for a US localization, but being a small publisher they had almost no resources to market and promote the game. I recall seeing some very interesting previews of it on the old forum as well as in the gaming enthusiast press, but other than that the game was pretty much just dumped on shelves with little fanfare.

Despite this, Demon's souls became a cult hit and just kept on selling entirely through word of mouth- somewhere between 1-2 million copies which far exceeded the expectations for the game. Had DeS had even half the marketing budget and support that Dark Souls did, it would have been a smash hit instead of a slow burn.
I think that's understandable. I bought and sold the game three individual times because I didn't understand what I was meant to do in the game. I bought it solely on the recommendation and ravings of members from NeoGaf, but it wasn't until I read fextralife and got tips from other forum-goers that it "clicked" for me and I really began to enjoy it.

Sony likely had similar experiences and were like "man, we don't know how to market this shit" and backed off. When the game caught fire, it was too late for Sony, and FromSoftware realized what they had and decided to make the subsequent spiritual successor games multiplatform.

Would you consider Bloodborne a smash hit?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think that's understandable. I bought and sold the game three individual times because I didn't understand what I was meant to do in the game. I bought it solely on the recommendation and ravings of members from NeoGaf, but it wasn't until I read fextralife and got tips from other forum-goers that it "clicked" for me and I really began to enjoy it.

Sony likely had similar experiences and were like "man, we don't know how to market this shit" and backed off. When the game caught fire, it was too late for Sony, and FromSoftware realized what they had and decided to make the subsequent spiritual successor games multiplatform.

Would you consider Bloodborne a smash hit?

Bloodborne? There was a thread here that indicated it sold 2Million+ in the US alone (with 11.3 million players total, due to PS Plus), so yeah. that's significant.

Supposedly 630,000 players obtained the platinum trophy in that game. Even if we consider the 11.3 million figure to be inflated due to PS Plus, that's still a shit ton of people playing that game to completion. Platinum rates above 10% of legitimate players is really, really high- especially for a game as frustrating as BB is for casual gamers. Being conservative there are or were probably around 5-6 million unique users playing Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Demon's Souls seems to be the most likely here. A lot of folks have been wanting it and would satiate a lot fans yearning for another souls game (since we don't know when Elden Ring comes out as of yet).

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's damn damn Capcom game with the dragons that never saw the light of day? It's that game lmao

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wait they actually had a poll with legend of dragoon on it....if there is a GOD.....
I would honestly be pretty okay with them wasting time on an ICO remake because I would absolutely not have to buy it. I'd outright thank them for saving me some money.

A Legend of Dragoon remake would just make me laugh out loud because that game deserves to be forgotten.
I dont think its a poll by bluepoint, its a poll about bluepoint. They have already decided on their project long ago and i am sure they didnt say "ps5 launch" 2 years + ago.

Just to make sure:

This was a joke on a poll where they asked what anime to turn into a game and Fairy Tail won against Hunter X Hunter and now they are making a Fairy Tail RPG... Truly the worst timeline.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
MGS would be far too ambitious with the amount of VO and attention to detail required. Not to mention adapting it to a fully controllable camera would make the game feel vastly different.

I also don't see Demon's Souls happening simply because we've yet to see any studio do anything other than a resmaster for a From Souls game.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's ape escape. Sp Ape escape with a massive open world and 2 campaigns for the Apes and Humans.

Multiplayer Ape Battle Royale. "Every Ape for themself"

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love to see the Killzone games revisited. A remake-re-envisioning of Killzone 1, 2, and 3 would be pretty awesome. Of course I'd love a return of Demon's Souls, but I'm not sure that's what they're working on (I'd love it if they were, though). In any case, I'm excited for what they're working on next.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just to make sure:

This was a joke on a poll where they asked what anime to turn into a game and Fairy Tail won against Hunter X Hunter and now they are making a Fairy Tail RPG... Truly the worst timeline.

I don't know anything about either of those anime so my response to that is a shrug.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can only imagine what BluePoint will be capable of on even more powerful hardware. Oh, wait...

Dwk-wdsX4AAhab3

Fucking disgrace.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can only imagine what BluePoint will be capable of on even more powerful hardware. Oh, wait...

Dwk-wdsX4AAhab3

Fucking disgrace.
The game definitely looks far better than that screenshot. It's just a poorly taken one to support your point. I do think they fucked up on skin shaders, and facial animations ESPECIALLY compared to the original but otherwise it was a great looking game graphically.

I think that they could make a great Berserk game based on aesthetics of this remake.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see the Killzone games revisited. A remake-re-envisioning of Killzone 1, 2, and 3 would be pretty awesome. Of course I'd love a return of Demon's Souls, but I'm not sure that's what they're working on (I'd love it if they were, though). In any case, I'm excited for what they're working on next.

Same. Killzone 1 I feel would need a massive amount of work to polish the whole thing to modern standards (visually, making the enemy AI not dumb, removing the splits in levels for cohesion, making each of the playable characters a bit more distinct while expanding the different paths each can take in each level etc), Killzone 2 could do with a res bump and sorting out the input lag (They can still do a "weighted" feel without it feeling horrid, The Metro games seem to pull that off), while Killzone 3 could probably get away with just a resolution bump. Hell if they wanted to do a massive graphical upgrade on all 3 i'd snatch that shit right up, love the series.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything else you are capable of talking or thinking about? This has been old for a long time yet you keep going.

I mean I can understand why some people who are purists and nitpicky can find some disappointment in how Bluepoint redid his face for the remake, but in the grand scheme of things, who in reality is playing this game so that they can look at Wander's face? I mean in replaying this amazing classic and getting to partake in how well they redid the actual world and its atmosphere, and how well they redid the actual colossi, the parts of the game that really matter, the face issue is such a petty and ridiculous thing to slam this game for. Will probably give this another play through before end of the year and enjoy it as much as I did last year and when I first played it on the PS2.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the technical director at Bluepoint openly acknowledged wanting to do a LoD remake/remaster would suggest that it's not what they're working on right now

Companies don't tend to be that blatant with hints of their current project.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Actually... Bloodbourne Remastered makes sense. That shit could benefit like craaazy from higher fps.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With pretty as fuck 4k graphics and 60 fps gameplay, Raytracing, SSD loading, re-envisioned gameplay mechanics and haptics feedback triggers for Archery.

Boletaria open world.

Coming to a PlayStation 5 near you on launch day November 2020

22SWjTB.gif
Preach! And even if it's not Demon's Souls, I'm sure it'll be a pretty looking and fun game, bluepoint knows their stuff.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Same. Killzone 1 I feel would need a massive amount of work to polish the whole thing to modern standards (visually, making the enemy AI not dumb, removing the splits in levels for cohesion, making each of the playable characters a bit more distinct while expanding the different paths each can take in each level etc), Killzone 2 could do with a res bump and sorting out the input lag (They can still do a "weighted" feel without it feeling horrid, The Metro games seem to pull that off), while Killzone 3 could probably get away with just a resolution bump. Hell if they wanted to do a massive graphical upgrade on all 3 i'd snatch that shit right up, love the series.

yeah, I definitely agree with that. Although I didn't think KZ2's controls felt bad. I really liked how it felt.

Killzone 1 would definitely need a straight up remake though. I really enjoy it, but it's very rough. I think your suggested updates would do the trick. I'm just really disappointed we never got a KZ HD Collection or a Resistance Trilogy HD collection. The funny thing is, I'm not even a huge FPS fan, but I loved those series. Outside of the original Halo, they were the only FPSes I played that I throughly enjoyed. I'm more of an RPG and third person shooter gamer.

while were wishing for shit, I'd love to see Folklore remastered, as well as Warhawk and Starhawk. I'm a single player gamer, but I was legit addicted to Warhawk and Resistance 2's multiplayer.

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, I didn't know that.

Sony is the copyright owner of the product. I don't have a source in front of me, but when I was doing some research regarding co-ownership of a video game, the gist of it was that the publisher would own the source code, binary, assets, et.al. whereas the IP owner would own the story, characters, music, et.al. In this case Sony is the publisher and the copyright owner so they own it all. Sony allowed Atlus and Namco to publish in the US and EU respectively, but that's it. They got publisher money, but that's it.