• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the mystery game, Era?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 2,053 62.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid

Votes: 596 18.0%
  • The Legend of Dragoon

Votes: 272 8.2%
  • Syphon Filter

Votes: 143 4.3%
  • SOCOM

Votes: 116 3.5%
  • Ico

Votes: 128 3.9%

• Total voters

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I just want Demon's Souls to get the SoTC remake treatment, a simple remaster wouldn't be sufficient

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
So wrong.
Socom 2 was the worst performing of all the games in the series. Soooo many cheaters and low fps. The game was an absolute mess. The amount of desync and hits not registered was insane.

Socom 1 & 3 are by the best.

S1 was great but honestly the TTK was too low. Sponging in S2 made gunfights beautiful, never played anything else like it on a console.

S3 the gunplay was absolute garbage in comparison. ARs weren't accurate at all and movement was trash. S3 was only good for godly jumpsnipes/quicksnipes.

Never known someone to find S1 AND S3 better than S2 lol. Odd.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Criminally few people got to play Demon's Souls at the time. It's such a no-brainer for a PS5 remake, it's an incredible, incredible game.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Guys we all know that Capcom sold the Deep Down IP to Sony so Sony now has Bluepoint using that engine to remake Demon's Souls. Its the only thing that makes sense yo

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Could be the start of a whole new saga for next-gen as well on PS5.

By who though? Myazaki wanted to take a break from the Souls games, which implied he might eventually return to them again, but I doubt he would have much, if any involvement with a Demon's remaster. He even said if someone else could do it right, he would be fine with it. FROM is the only team I would put faith in regarding developing sequels though.

I also can't see FROM devoting so much of their time making multiple games for a locked platform compared to what they've been doing. Have them make their PS5 version of Bloodborne, or whatever that might be? Check. Beyond that? This isn't a 343 situation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
By who though? Myazaki wanted to take a break from the Souls games, which implied he might eventually return to them again, but I doubt he would have much, if any involvement with a Demon's remaster. He even said if someone else could do it right, he would be fine with it. FROM is the only team I would put faith in regarding developing sequels though.

I also can't see FROM devoting so much of their time making multiple games for a locked platform compared to what they've been doing. Have them make their PS5 version of Bloodborne, or whatever that might be? Check. Beyond that? This isn't a 343 situation.
Bluepoint and JapanStudio.

We will see with how this re-envisioning goes. If if goes well, then we can probably trust Bluepoint to do the series justice.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I can't belive people still use this.

They did production, tehnical support and I belive came up with the original idea.

They're not respnosible for FS's work.

Same case as BB. Mostly production and supervision.
Tell that to some of the development team I met at E3 a few years back then?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Bluepoint and JapanStudio.

We will see with how this re-envisioning goes. If if goes well, then we can probably trust Bluepoint to do the series justice.

I'm not doubting technical profeciency. Japan Studio were the ones who came up with the initial idea for Demon's in the first place, and also helped with Bloodborne. They weren't the overall creative vision behind them though. Say what you want about these games being a collaborative effort, but the creative director should not be underestimated. With how popular and moderately influential the FROM games have become, you would think that by now another team would have had a go at it, and do just as well right? Up until now, no one has come close.

Who knows, maybe we could see something akin to Valve and how they modded the crap out of the Quake engine to create Half-Life. They made their own IP though, they didn't continue an already existing one. Considering how these games are almost a genre unto themselves, there is room for more.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to some of the development team I met at E3 a few years back then?

For Demon's Souls, the staff from Sony is credited here from 2:30 (producer, technical support, simulation support, online game support, quality assurance, tuning, promotion, package, manual, supervisors and special thanks).

For Bloodborne, Sony staff is credited here from 2:57 they provided a lot of technical, online, tuning and QA support.

In both cases, there is no intrusion from Sony on the creative and artistic side of things. But, keep living in your bubble and belive otherwise.

Kinda sad that some people here on era care more about the brand rather then the authors themselves.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
For Demon's Souls, the staff from Sony is credited here from 2:30 (producer, technical support, simulation support, online game support, quality assurance, tuning, promotion, package, manual, supervisors and special thanks).

For Bloodborne, Sony staff is credited here from 2:57 they provided a lot of technical, online, tuning and QA support.

In both cases, there is no intrusion from Sony on the creative and artistic side of things. But, keep living in your bubble and belive otherwise.

Kinda sad that some people here on era care more about the brand rather then the authors themselves.

I'm of the view of FROM being the main force behind these games, but I think you might be underestimating the programming side of things. Having assistance with technical issues, or even getting a game to run in the first place from sources you might not have otherwise had helps a lot. So does having more bodies for Q&A.

As far as I can tell, Expy was only talking about how Japan Studio helped to develop the games, and they did. They never said Japan Studio came up with all of the best ideas. My argument was solely that on the creative side of things, I can't see Bluepoint and Japan Studio rivaling FROM, let alone beating them at their own game.

That being said, if a Demon's remake is actually being worked on, even if there are some slight alterations to the design, the blueprint is already laid out for them. It's quite possible that we would end up with a game that will look, and play better than the original and offer a better experience overall. In the end though, it would still be somewhat of a port, and many developers can port well. Not all can create new IPs.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the view of FROM being the main force behind these games, but I think you might be underestimating the programming side of things. Having assistance with technical issues, or even getting a game to run in the first place from sources you might not have otherwise had helps a lot. So does having more bodies for Q&A.

As far as I can tell, Expy was only talking about how Japan Studio helped to develop the games, and they did. They never said Japan Studio came up with all of the best ideas. My argument was solely that on the creative side of things, I can't see Bluepoint and Japan Studio rivaling FROM, let alone beating them at their own game.

The programming side of things wasn't the point here. Any studio can provide such support.

Even back on the old place, people acted like SIE Japan Studio was some sort of co-developer and actually had more input in the game then they actually did. I'm not saying that all they did was fetch Miyazaki's coffe and that's it, but their role isn't as big as some make it out to be, and certainly not big enough to justify that they can fill up FS's shoes when it comes to their creative input.

It all goes back to Bluepoint and JapanStudio apperently being FS's ''replacement'' which again, is laughable.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Nioh is a thing.

They aren't really that comparable, nor should they be. It's as though some forget, or don't even realize that TN already perfected "hardcore" action combat before any Souls game existed. If anything, the Souls games influenced some of the level designs, but only marginally. The loot system was straight the fuck out of Diablo though, which is a huge downgrade compared to the way FROM does it. Besides that, their monster variety and designs were way below the standards of FROM's works. I loved Nioh, and can't wait for the sequel, but it's not a Souls game.

Coma Ecliptic

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
oh no. World tendency is an amazing mechanic. It allows on the fly adjusting to level difficulty without beating the game as well as opening up multiple pathways through player action. It's fucking brilliant, all things considered. The fact that the servers were centralized meant that there could be "events" where things were pure white or pure black for all players without the difficulty of getting there.

The only really weird thing that needed to be fixed is that the online aspect tended to "reset" the world tendency so manipulating it to pure white or pure black while online was really difficult.

That wouldn't be a remake because Bloodborne 2 doesn't exist, ya dingus
Oh, did they say it's specifically a remake, I missed that part.

The dream is dead. I jumped to the "Biggest project" and they beefed up their studio, the dream is that with insight from Miyazaki they were given the trust to work on Bloodborne 2.

EDIT
"Re-envisioning"

OqRWm22.gif

NoooooooooooOOoooOoooooooooo, RIP Bloodborne 2 dream for now....

It's Demon Souls.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That wouldn't be a remake
Oh, did they say it's specifically a remake, I missed that part.

The dream is dead. I jumped to the "Biggest project" and they beefed up their studio, the dream is that with insight from Miyazaki they were given the trust to work on Bloodborne 2.

Yup. it's specifically a remake, though the scope of it was big enough that they were calling it a "reimagining" which is marketing speak for an expensive remake.

It's not bloodborne 2 or any other game that has not already been in existence for a fairly long time.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got to thinking that it might not be demon souls at all , there's just as large a chance that it's God of War 1/2 . I mean how many sony IP's are there really that anyone would even want at this point ? I can't see a Sly Cooper HD or Mark of the Kri remake. It's bound to be something from the PS2 era I think or... Demon Souls I guess. The more I think on it, the fewer options there really are.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
I got to thinking that it might not be demon souls at all , there's just as large a chance that it's God of War 1/2 .

There is literally zero chance it's God of War, because it would make absolutely no sense, when God of War got rebooted with a massive success. What would be the point of remaking the previous games?

There is more chance that it's Haze remake or some other worst exclusive form the PS2/3 era than it's God of War. GoW is the last game on the list of games that could be remaked.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally zero chance it's God of War, because it would make absolutely no sense, when God of War got rebooted with a massive success. What would be the point of remaking the previous games?

There is more chance that it's Haze remake or some other worst exclusive form the PS2/3 era than it's God of War. GoW is the last game on the list of games that could be remaked.

Yeah, with the new GoW there's no reason to attempt to remake or re-imagine the older games. Especially since Cory said they've already got several games mapped out, so the stories couldn't be touched at all. And it wouldn't make sense to go back and try to change the gameplay of those games.

I think DS is far and away the frontrunner. And if not that, then maybe a Jak and Daxter remake? Given how PS gamers took to Crash and Spyro's remakes and Ratchet re-imagining, a J&D remake/re-imagining would be massive.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Can't it be a brand new IP or sequel to an existing franchise? While I understand Bluepoint mostly handles ports, remasters and remakes: but they must have the capability to actually 'make' games from scratch, right?

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it will probably be Demon Souls, but I'd prefer MGS remake or GTA III. Especially GTA with 20th anniversary coming up and PS2s anniversary

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I always wonder why people would type this type of comment... i mean it isn't even funny

Some people have no idea what funny is. That's why we get comments like "It's a remake of a REMAKE!" or "It's a remake of [insert name of current or unreleased game]!". To them it's a marvel of wit and comedy. At least they manage to resist the temptation to slap a "AM1RITE GUYS????" at the end.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Can't it be a brand new IP or sequel to an existing franchise? While I understand Bluepoint mostly handles ports, remasters and remakes: but they must have the capability to actually 'make' games from scratch, right?

They've said that their next game will be a re-imagining. That's all we know about it officially.