• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
There is still multi-platform which can mean 'bigger in scope'. My gut still says exclusive (with Sony), since Sony has been feeding them studio growth.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
SotC has been pretty divisive.
Even Kotaku wasn't afraid to attack it
https://kotaku.com/the-shadow-of-the-colossus-remake-isnt-quite-the-same-1822927900

There's a lot of reasons for it, but it's basically a remake where the original creator was intentionally kept away from the game so Bluepoint had to make some design decisions irregardless of the original devs, which meant they had to re-interpret the source material, resulting in some ...odd changes with the final game.

The criticism is a bit hard to find on Era, where anti-bluepoint talk was kept hush hush, but it's there if you look for it.
As i've said before, Bluepoint needs to stay away from games considered art, so I hope the next remake doesn't fall into that category, so these shenanigans don't happen again

A remake should feel a little different though...? Otherwise why remake it at all? It was faithful to the original in most ways but it would inevitably have its own spin and most people are ok with that.

Anti-bluepoint talk being kept hush hush sounds very conspiratorial. Most people loved the remake. That article is honestly a whole bunch of nothing. The light pool? Lol. Dormin feels pretty damn powerful and all observing in the remake. And the bloom was never going to be recreated because it's a product of its era.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anything other than Demons Souls will be a disappointment.

Metroid Prime would be even better but something that amazing could never come to be.

Oct 27, 2017
...Ueda was consulted on the remake lol.

Sounds like a nutty conspiracy theory to me. Pretty sure it's safe to say most were very happy with the remake.

Source on this?

The most recent I could find was Ueda saying he was not that involved
https://gamerant.com/shadow-of-the-colossus-remake-director-fumito-ueda-role/

And furthermore that Ueda submitted a list of proposed changes, with an admission there's no guarantee anything he suggested got in
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ges-for-the-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake

We never got a follow up saying if any of that got in. Do you know otherwise, Shinobi?

Because at the moment, it really sounds like Sony intentionally distanced Ueda from his own game. All because Sony is technically the owner of the SoTC IP so they can distance themselves from the person who invented the idea. It really seems sketchy to me what Sony did with this game, from what we officially know about it so far.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SHUT UP ....!!! W$%#&

/s
tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, remakes are more interesting.
Well remakes also take a lot more time and resources and may not necessarily satisfy everyone who enjoyed the original so that'd be why they aren't done as much. I personally like them more as well but I can see why they'd only be done for a select few games, generally older games that have become classics and/or cult classics

I would really like a Switch version of Galaxy. Those games with some updated art and less waggle would be AMAZING.

Would love to see Blupoint helping to do more "enhanced remasters" for some of those games instead of normal remasters like we do see.

(and yes its a slight dig at the Switch lineup)
Well, if it's a remake of a mainline Mario game, I feel like that'd be something that's more likely to be done in-house. I could see a Metroid or a Zelda remake being outsourced though

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
"Scope" can mean different things, not just the size of the game world or characters; I assume remaking DeS would be harder than SOTC considering the complexity of the title

Spreading misinformation is against our ToS
enable emojis on your website so I can properly express myself you coward

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Modern Warfare 2 remake is coming in 2019 with Modern Warfare 4.

With all the backlash they got tying it to Infinite warfare and ruining it with skins and dumb dlc/MT's it will not be tied to a purchase of another game. I can see it coming out before fall so infinity ward can have their game in fall. But honestly thought I heard things changed for them after Infinite warfare. Wouldn't be surprised if IW had MW2 remake be their main game. And make to content for it for campaign and multiplayer.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
It could also be Metal Gear Solid 1. Remaking that game would certainly be a much bigger scope than SotC.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's not a game with a well-defined art style. They should do an OK job remaking games striving for photorealism, but I have no faith in them being able to adapt anything stylized.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get wanting Demon's Souls remake, but I feel for that kind of game (a last gen title) then a simple "remaster" would make more sense. Up the resolution and framerates and all that good stuff and slap it on the PS4. The kind of stuff Bluepoint did with other games before SotC. I feel if they are going full remake, like SotC, then doing it to an older title would make more sense. I really do want an Ico remake after seeing the SotC remake but I don't think it counts as the "bigger in scope" than SotC Remake.
DeS has beautiful direction but the assets are just ugly in places. A remaster wouldn't be good enough.

Hopefully it's not a game with a well-defined art style. They should do an OK job remaking games striving for photorealism, but I have no faith in them being able to adapt anything stylized.

SotC is pretty stylized and it came out great imo. I think BP knows how to stay true to the vibe of the original.

Dec 3, 2017

Yup. The SOTC remake's art is already really different in tone in a lot of cases. The Souls games basically are the art and environment. It won't be right if an outside team does it.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gonna throw my vote for Demons Souls remake, complete with the Land of the Giants arch stone.

I'd put money on it getting announced at E3 with 2019 release date, which will also be the games 10th anniversary.

Dec 3, 2017
DeS has beautiful direction but the assets are just ugly in places. A remaster wouldn't be good enough.

I disagree. Strangely, the assets in both Demons Souls and Dark Souls are higher resolution than you'd expect. That's why the PC Dark Souls scaled up so nicely. Demons Souls emulated at 4k looks pretty amazing, really. Probably looks as good as some PS4 games.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I would really like a Switch version of Galaxy. Those games with some updated art and less waggle would be AMAZING.

Would love to see Blupoint helping to do more "enhanced remasters" for some of those games instead of normal remasters like we do see.

(and yes its a slight dig at the Switch lineup)
I agree with everything you said. Mario Galaxy has to be put in HD. It would probably be able to compete graphically with games now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if bigger in scope means an actual bigger game, or a bigger remake (PS1, SNES game as opposed to PS2 game)

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics wise, the only thing Demon's Souls could really use is better lighting. Give it proper, modern-day lighting, fix the UI, make that shit 1080p@60fps, and you've got yourself a winner.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

It's obviously Syphon Filter.
I assume this is another first party title. Something like Syphon Filter.
Syphon Filter, please :)
Hopefully it's a Syphon Filter remake. :)
If they are working with Sony again, I'm guessing Syphon Filter.

I like these posts.

Sony did trademark Syphon Filter late last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they reached out to Bluepoint again for this.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/11/10/sony-registers-a-trademark-for-syphon-filter/

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wouldn't really trust From art assets with companies outside of From and the Sony team. The art is very unique.

while From do have a well defined art style, its Sony's assets to remaster, so we could only hope that BP try adhere to the original assets as much as possible.

Graphics wise, the only thing Demon's Souls could really use is better lighting. Give it proper, modern-day lighting, fix the UI, make that shit 1080p@60fps, and you've got yourself a winner.

"better lighting"? a majority of the asset chain, from the character models, to many of the bosses look like garbage now, even the art style can't fix those.

The jump From made in fidelity from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls 1 is vastly underestimated

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
MGS on Fox Engine with proper level design could be a fucking magnificent thing to behold.
But so many things could go wrong here.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Source on this?

The most recent I could find was Ueda saying he was not that involved
https://gamerant.com/shadow-of-the-colossus-remake-director-fumito-ueda-role/

And furthermore that Ueda submitted a list of proposed changes, with an admission there's no guarantee anything he suggested got in
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ges-for-the-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake

We never got a follow up saying if any of that got in. Do you know otherwise, Shinobi?

Because at the moment, it really sounds like Sony intentionally distanced Ueda from his own game. All because Sony is technically the owner of the SoTC IP so they can distance themselves from the person who invented the idea. It really seems sketchy to me what Sony did with this game, from what we officially know about it so far.
https://youtu.be/9k73OGYpC9w?t=18m50s

Supervisor: Fumito Ueda.

Also Ueda and GenDESIGN were pretty active with SOTC Remake launch on Twitter, you don't do this if Sony "intentionally distanced " from you, same as you don't see Kojima talking about Metal Gear.

Last edited: