Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Bsky social code is on github now if you wanna contribute or fork your own

github.com

GitHub - bluesky-social/social-app: The Bluesky Social application for Web, iOS, and Android

The Bluesky Social application for Web, iOS, and Android - bluesky-social/social-app

https://skyfeed.app/ is an app that has a few custom algorithms for you to experiment with

bafkreihp6ddlxvtebi44odpvklv2vpf66wiwsfjztct7j2myzhng2az7bu@jpeg

One of those custom feeds is even a furry feed. Hashtags also work with it.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
It's undecided. I think new federated instances may actually happen before the invite system goes away. And some people really like the invite system to try to keep the fascists out.

But I think eventually if you want a really heavily moderated instance you probably won't be on the main instance. Such an instance will probably likely have harsher consequences to make you *really* think about who you invite. Like if you invite a bad actor, you'll probably get your invite and all your invitees' invite access cut off for a while.

Was talking with some people on Bluesky who did research on blocking Twitter Blue subscribers and these kind of relational links are actually very strongly correlated with removing bad actors. Their research was saying blanket blocking all blue subscribers actually gets a lot of false positives. Instead, go find one of the really terrible people like Tucker Carlson and just block all their followers instead and you'll cut off a lot more of the bad actors from your feed.

Last edited:

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
It's undecided. I think new federated instances may actually happen before the invite system goes away. And some people really like the invite system to try to keep the fascists out.

But I think eventually if you want a really heavily moderated instance you probably won't be on the main instance. Such an instance will probably likely have harsher consequences to make you *really* think about who you invite. Like if you invite a bad actor, you'll probably get your invite and all your invitees' invite access cut off for a while.

Was talking with some people on Bluesky who did research on blocking Twitter Blue subscribers and these kind of relational links are actually very strongly correlated with removing bad actors. Their research was saying blanket blocking all blue subscribers actually gets a lot of false positives. Instead, go find one of the really terrible people like Tucker Carlson and just block all their followers instead and you'll cut off a lot more of the bad actors from your feed.
did something change where bsky owners care about bad actors?

Anyone be willing to spare an invite?
no, celebi23

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
big acct twitter friend gave me an invite. i was just trying to check what names were still available, and it turns out there is no confirmation dialog if a name is not taken, so now i guess i'm just named after my favorite drug on bluesky: @ket.bsky.social

i'm probably still gonna focus on Twitter since i joined there in November with the specific goals of trying to get my account big enough to counter the rampant trans policy misinfo the big trans advocacy accounts put out and sidestepping the muzzle my org puts on me when it comes to demanding more from the biden admin.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
big acct twitter friend gave me an invite. i was just trying to check what names were still available, and it turns out there is no confirmation dialog if a name is not taken, so now i guess i'm just named after my favorite drug on bluesky: @ket.bsky.social

i'm probably still gonna focus on Twitter since i joined there in November with the specific goals of trying to get my account big enough to counter the rampant trans policy misinfo the big trans advocacy accounts put out and sidestepping the muzzle my org puts on me when it comes to demanding more from the biden admin.

You can rename your handle in the settings.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing more of my followed list get access rubbing it in that I don't have an invite.

Is it still active or fizzing out?

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Quit the invite begging it is disrupting the discussion.

Oct 31, 2017
So Dorsey sold Twitter to Elon Musk and thought Musk was the person to really nail Twitter's original vision... but then Dorsey makes another social media service anyway that I'm assuming they would say is better than Twitter?

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Bluesky was intended to be the future of Twitter. Or rather, Bluesky was a concept for Twitter to follow, built on AT Protocol which Twitter would use in the future as basically just another instance. That's why Dorsey didn't give up his shares. But then the Muskrat came along and fucked it all up, so now it's turning into an alternative instead.

If there's not going to be moderation and fake news filtering, then it's just as worthless as Twitter.

Because it's federation like Mastodon, just choose a better moderated instance when they're available. And pick the custom feed/algorithm that will filter out the fake news for you.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
So Dorsey sold Twitter to Elon Musk and thought Musk was the person to really nail Twitter's original vision... but then Dorsey makes another social media service anyway that I'm assuming they would say is better than Twitter?

Kinda? Bluesky was already being developed well before the Musk buyout as a spin-off of Twitter. It was basically just going to be a decentralized version of Twitter if I understand it correctly. And while Dorsey technically did make it since he was the CEO of Twitter at the time, he's not the CEO of Bluesky, he's just on the board.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Very heated tonight. A reminder that memes and jokes can be harmful. Sometimes, just take the L and move on.

In better news, there were concerted efforts for mutual aid today too.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda? Bluesky was already being developed well before the Musk buyout as a spin-off of Twitter. It was basically just going to be a decentralized version of Twitter if I understand it correctly. And while Dorsey technically did make it since he was the CEO of Twitter at the time, he's not the CEO of Bluesky, he's just on the board.
and bluesky is a completely separate legal entity from Twitter, right?

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah didn't really want to talk too much more about it. Even as someone not directly involved, it was pretty emotionally draining just reading it.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Service itself seems really nice so far. Shame most of my mutuals haven't been invited. I'm pleased to see how user friendly it is, and that there's a fairly large trans population there already.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any official release date for this?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there was a whole explosion of white fragility as soon as people got called on their behaviour over the R. Kelly jokes. It's definitely highlighting the need for moderation tools, because if this is how quickly things can go south when the userbase is shy of 100k, the accelerating growth is going to make it a difficult space for marginalised users despite its generally positive vibe.
Saw someone say the hellthread has been milkshake duck'd 😂

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally on there, thanks to a friend. Most of my twitter mutuals aren't there yet, and most of the algorithm feed is random stuff out of my interests too so far, so my activity has been pretty light.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Saw one of the devs saying they're pushing to have the custom algorithms out by the end of the week.

Oichi

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Any invites floating around? I'd love to give it a try if possible

(Sorry in advance if invite begging isn't allowed)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Any invites floating around? I'd love to give it a try if possible

(Sorry in advance if invite begging isn't allowed)

I'm surprised an invite thread doesn't exist yet. I mean we want decent people to get the invites and this place is better than most but I have no idea who wants them. Would an invite thread be allowed anywhere here or not?

Flueswonkler

Mar 15, 2022
I deleted my Twitter account after it became impossible to avoid all the awful people once they were promoted everywhere. How's Bluesky lately? I mainly follow illustrators and other artists and don't know how many have been able to join.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So, do we think the hype is pretty much over by now? I feel like Bluesky kinda came (when all the prominent people joined) and went (when no one else got invites and the conversation around it pretty much stopped on other social platforms), so I just checked Google Trends and well

B50d9M5.png

..it kinda doesn't look fantastic?

Do y'all think bluesky will take the social position Twitter has anytime soon? Just from my view, I literally never saw anyone sharing or posting news or actually interesting links aggregated by bluesky, it's still 100% twitter links everywhere. At this point, thinking about bluesky kinda gives me the same vibes as Mastodon did, or Counter Social, or Post, or Hive, or Cohost, and the list goes on.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Do y'all think bluesky will take the social position Twitter has anytime soon?

Maybe, maybe not. It's still getting a ton of notable people joining it and you can actually have interactions with them unlike on other socials. It still has an exclusive vibe. It feels like the cool club lol.

Wigsy

Apr 5, 2022
The hype has definitely died down. Not seeing anywhere near as much buzz as there was a few weeks ago. Also noticeable how much seeing "celebrities" signing up has dropped right off too.

If they start sending out invites quicker than it can pick back up but it's certainly gotten quieter.

The hype has definitely died down. Not seeing anywhere near as much buzz as there was a few weeks ago. Also noticeable how much seeing "celebrities" signing up has dropped right off too.

If they start sending out invites quicker than it can pick back up but it's certainly gotten quieter.
Makes sense, it's hard too maintain hype when most people can't actually enter the site.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Some of the notables who joined that hyped things don't really post anything. For the past about 1 week there has been serious complaints about the leadership favoring white supremacists vs BIPOC re: moderation actions. This has caused a lot of the more active prominent members to also start leaving. They finally banned one of the ones that was key to the current complaints.

As for long-term stuff who knows. Discovery is better than Mastodon. There are custom feeds now which also puts it a step above Mastodon.