• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
As titled. I can't stand inner ear buds like this:

35373-US-CE-Bose_160x160.jpg

I much prefer this form factor:

Key features I'm looking for are 4-8 hour battery life, low / no lag for movie viewing and or games, and no dangling control panel like the ones pictured above which cause the cord to be unevenly weighted and hang to one side. EDIT: Cord itself is ok, it doesn't need to be airpods, extra shit that helps it stay in my ear when moving around is ok too, just don't want it to bore into my skull.

Something like this would be awesome if i didn't have to embed it in my ear canal.

Anyone have any suggestions? I see so many of the inner ear ones it's hard to shop.

Last edited:

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you already know the answer. They're pretty great, totally worth it. I will say 4 hours might be pushing it, but I usually get at least 3.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I can't do inner ear with suction cups so I feel you. I guess I have fluid in my ears or something but it's painful and I have to use over-ear or Apple style.

it seems like op is literally asking for apple airpods
Yeah, like exactly that.

While those might be one possible answer, surely there has to be a few corded, much more reasonably priced models out there which have the right buds on them other than these?
Why do you want corded? I mean you can get a cord for AirPods if you need it, but I don't know anyone who does. The cord is what pulls them out of your ears in the first place.

Oct 28, 2017
I was actually going to make a similar thread. Anyone have any of those that hook over the ear and don't sit inside the ear really at all? But not actual headphones. These would be for biking/working out.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Actually I'll also ask, does anyone know any good wired 3.5mm headphones w/ microphone that are also like this (non-suction/gel)? You can't (easily) use Apple headphones with a DualShock 4 and I just want something for basic voice chat.

OP
OP
modewarp

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
I can't do inner ear with suction cups so I feel you. I guess I have fluid in my ears or something but it's painful and I have to use over-ear or Apple style.

Yeah, like exactly that.

Why do you want corded? I mean you can get a cord for AirPods if you need it, but I don't know anyone who does. The cord is what pulls them out of your ears in the first place.

The cord doesn't bother me, the uneven weight from a control panel on the cord does, so as long as the controls are on the earpiece or something, whatever? I am just looking for options, with the bud form factor I like.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Bose soundsport is my choice. They aren't inner ear (kinda between the Apple style and inner ear), but they fit and sound way better than most Bluetooth headphones I've used.

They stick out a bit, but I never had a problem with that. I did sell my pair of Soundsport Frees because they had some problems (iffy Bluetooth connectivity, audio lag in videos, couldn't connect to my PC), but I'd you don't mind the wire I find the normal Sounds ports to be great.

They aren't sound isolating, but I actually kinda liked that so I had some sense of my surroundings when using them. The corded ones also have a clip on the middle of the cord so you can clip it to your shirt so it doesn't drag on your ear if you only want one in.

Plus if you're in the US you can get them at Nordstrom and return them anytime you want for whatever reason (the little clip broke on me so I returned it for a whole new pair!).

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The cord doesn't bother me, the uneven weight from a control panel on the cord does, so as long as the controls are on the earpiece or something, whatever? I am just looking for options, with the bud form factory I like.
AirPods let you assign double tap controls to each side, between Siri, Play/Pause, Next Track and Previous Track on iPhone (which will then carry over to Android, minus Siri although you can download an App for Google Assistant).

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I love my Sennheiser MX-980s, but they are a discontinued product. Unfortunately I don't think Sennheiser created an equivalent product after discontinuing them. They were well worth the $200 they asked back then, but if you can catch a factory refurbished pair on ebay I bought a replacement set for $40.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
does anyone have the Google Pixel Buds? Just got a Pixel 2 XL and actually really like what the Pixel Buds look like. I like how it has a cord that connects. Still probably too pricey though. I would probably buy them for $100.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The cord doesn't bother me, the uneven weight from a control panel on the cord does, so as long as the controls are on the earpiece or something, whatever? I am just looking for options, with the bud form factory I like.

This is the biggest problem with the Jaybird X3's. Right side cord weighs down, left cord gets pulled and I have to constantly readjust when walking.

AirPods for comfort. But it has open profile for sound so any ambient noise is going to bleed in. Which is good if you're using em at the office/home and want to hear if someone calls you. But sucks for commute or gym.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Airpods. You prefer that style. Get them. They are amazing. I hate the noise canceling inner ear ones as well.

OP
OP
modewarp

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
AirPods let you assign double tap controls to each side, between Siri, Play/Pause, Next Track and Previous Track on iPhone (which will then carry over to Android, minus Siri although you can download an App for Google Assistant).

I was referring to ones like this:

as being unwieldy due to the weight imbalance rather than questioning the airpod functionality. I get that airpods are super great and do everything.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
does anyone have the Google Pixel Buds? Just got a Pixel 2 XL and actually really like what the Pixel Buds look like. I like how it has a cord that connects. Still probably too pricey though. I would probably buy them for $100.
I have them. I paid $60 for them because I got a $100 credit to the Google store with my Pixel 2 XL. They are good $60 earbuds, they are way overpriced at $160.

The sound is quite good, IMO, but I'm not much of an audiophile. The touch controls are finicky and often don't do what you want. Not being able to skip a track with the touch controls is also super annoying.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I got these for my TV, Galaxy Phone and Laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-B...=1524762840&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+earbuds

Great price. Solid sound. Good range.

They're not super-high end, but they sound good to me. Mostly positive reviews too. I use them all the time. Get about 6 to 8 hours between charges.

EDIT: these have a little "anchor" on them that hugs the inner fold of your ear, it doesn't hang over the top of your ear or go behind your ear. These feel a lot more comfortable to me than just the plain buds or those hanger ones.

Last edited:

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
OP, if you like wires, you can buy an accessory that connects the airpods around your neck. You're literally asking for airpods, but being stubborn. If you like those type of in ear headphones, they are the best on the market.

Go on ebay, buy em from ebay, use the 15% code they have today, and save a few bucks.