• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Super-pumped right now. I picked up Fireball Island with the Treasure Trove Deck and Deluxe Marbles from the Boardlandia sale right now for $59. Restoration Games is going to sell the exclusives like the Marbles and Treasure Trove Deck later but they are gonna be like $15 each or something like that. Base game with those two items are selling for $100 on eBay right now though, so I'm glad I got it at this price. Gonna be fun to play with my family over the holidays (need the expansion with the fifth player though, damn!). It'll slot nicely into the rotation we worked up when some of my wife's family was visiting last month (Werewords, Coconuts, Loopin Chewie, and Strike were the games played the most, with money actually getting bet on games of Coconuts one night).

Boardlandia's sale started an hour ago though. 15% off the current sale prices with code BF18. Plus if you spend $70+, next week you get $5 in Boardlandia Bucks. I grabbed Fireball Island and an X-Wing ship from the sale.

Just watched Rodney's Fireball Island tutorial. Looks like it'll be a fun one for casual play. I know The Dark Tower is next on RG's plate but I hope they 'remaster' Torpedo Run and 13 Dead End Drive sometime soon. I'd be all over those two games getting updated releases that don't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Taught a Thanksgiving guest Keyforge. They're going to a tournament with us on Saturday now. Have I mentioned I really like it?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Had a delightful game night thanksgiving evening. Brothers came home to visit, one brought a girlfriend, my young nephew and I returned to play 'Cthulhu in the House' with them which was alright, probably not as good as rumble in the dungeon, and probably fun just to see my nephew interacting with the game.

Then his mom picked him up, and we switched to Deception Murder in Hongkong, which was a lot of fun. We played multiple times in a row with 4 players, then a couple friends came over and we played a couple games with 6 and the extra roles. Great fun.
We then played a game of Hail Hydra. I'm not a fan of marvel, but the game turned out to be pretty good.

Then we lost a couple people who has to travel, down to 4 again, played 'the Chameleon' which was dumb fun, and then we played Dice Throne which started off a little dry but became more entertaining as we all learned the game.

A very pleasant game night indeed.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Would this be a good game for an 8 year old? He loves zombies since he was 3, but mechanically how complicated is it?

I'd probably jump on this personally but I'm holding out for the upcoming Night of the Living Dead version.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got the mage knight and gloomhaven broken token inserts, krang character expansion (above msrb, but he was all I was missing), and pandemic legacy s1. Think I'm done with black friday shopping.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
gloomhaven broken token insert
I don't own the others, but I have 0 regrets buying the Gloomhaven insert. It's pretty amazing how well it fits everything. My one and only complaint, is that it sort of assumes you have a few characters open. You absolutely CAN still fit everything without opening any of the character packs (I just shifted a few things around and it all fits), I just sort of wish they had designed it around "nothing is open" instead of "played a little bit".

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't own the others, but I have 0 regrets buying the Gloomhaven insert. It's pretty amazing how well it fits everything. My one and only complaint, is that it sort of assumes you have a few characters open. You absolutely CAN still fit everything without opening any of the character packs (I just shifted a few things around and it all fits), I just sort of wish they had designed it around "nothing is open" instead of "played a little bit".

How big of an issue is just opening all of the character packs to make everything fit with ease?

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
How big of an issue is just opening all of the character packs to make everything fit with ease?
You don't have to open all of them, but I think two of them. There are basically 4 player trays and then generic storage for the character boxes. There is enough space for the character boxes for all but 2, so it seems like they expect you to open at least two character boxes and put the stuff into the player trays. Not a big deal at all, like I said.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would this be a good game for an 8 year old? He loves zombies since he was 3, but mechanically how complicated is it?

I'd probably jump on this personally but I'm holding out for the upcoming Night of the Living Dead version.

It's not a deep or particularly complicated game, but the combination of action choices, hit priority order, and multi-step objectives can make it a bit busy perhaps.

I don't have anything on hand, but BGG may have a link to a rulebook PDF of either it or the newer Zombicides. There are also video reviews of at least Black Plague and Green Horde online, which are mechanically identical enough to the original to gauge them.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Get tiny epic zombies, it's pretty simple mechanically and not too gory for a zombie game

Oct 25, 2017
I can second this as well, though I'd say some of the missions/objectives can be a bit harder to comprehend.
I don't know if we were just unlucky with our zombie + objective combo, but when we played Tiny Epic Zombies with 3 humans and 1 zombie player, it was ABSURDLY difficult. The zombie player could always guarantee a side filled up with 3 zombies on their turn if they wanted, and one of our objectives required collecting something like 12 tokens from the entirety of the mall plus doing the other objectives at the same time.

It also dragged on forever with people getting bored especially with the zombie player between every turn. I want to try it in co-op before potentially giving it away though. I never liked zombie games either, but I had hoped this one would be decent.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if we were just unlucky with our zombie + objective combo, but when we played Tiny Epic Zombies with 3 humans and 1 zombie player, it was ABSURDLY difficult. The zombie player could always guarantee a side filled up with 3 zombies on their turn if they wanted, and one of our objectives required collecting something like 12 tokens from the entirety of the mall plus doing the other objectives at the same time.

It also dragged on forever with people getting bored especially with the zombie player between every turn. I want to try it in co-op before potentially giving it away though. I never liked zombie games either, but I had hoped this one would be decent.
It shouldn't be dragging with the zombie player's turn. All they should be doing is placing their 2 zombies, activate whatever ability if you spawn in the last player's zone, and deal a card. Should take less than two minutes.

But yes, some of those objectives can be quite long and difficult, especially with certain others in combination. For those that don't know, Tiny Epic Zombie has the human players attempt to complete 3 objectives before either the zombie player breaks into the safehouse and kills all the survivor tokens, or a specific deck of cards runs out.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have a favorite house yet?

Hard to choose for me between Dis and Shadow. Dis being super destructive appeals to me. Shadow being super-stealy is fun for me, but actually requires a bit of nuance to play well. Give me those two with anything. Of our 30+ decks, a Dis/Shadow/Mars we have is probably the strongest.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finally got Keyforge to the table and wow I was completely blown away. By buddy is planning to buy a few decks and I will as well. My starter decks were logos/sanctum/untamed and logos/sanctum/mars but the cards between them and the tutorial deck are so different that I'm not too upset about it. Richard and FF knocked it out of the park.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Scored all the KD:M expansions, Echoes of Death, and the Green Armor during Black Friday. Wallet hurts, but not nearly as much as it could have!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a few things:
Scythe
Sheriff of Nottingham
and Boss Monster

Trying to talk myself out of buying Mansions of Madness or some other big game from Amazon atm.

edit: looks like Amazon sold out of MoM, so that solves that problem.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Got the mage knight and gloomhaven broken token inserts, krang character expansion (above msrb, but he was all I was missing), and pandemic legacy s1. Think I'm done with black friday shopping.
How is the stock Mage Knight box for storage? Getting my copy today but also saw that Broken Token insert on sale. I don't want to rush and spend $27 before I have to but if the stock storage is terrible I might pull the trigger.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How is the stock Mage Knight box for storage? Getting my copy today but also saw that Broken Token insert on sale. I don't want to rush and spend $27 before I have to but if the stock storage is terrible I might pull the trigger.

Storing the base game in the box is pretty easy ala a game like king of tokyo. The insert is really easy to follow minus the cards as they have a specific order they need to go back in if you want to keep all the sets together. Would have been better if they just had one well of cards with dividers over what they did. It's really the expansions that make me want the broken token insert more then the speed of set up/tear down (not gonna complain about the latter obviously).

MageKnightInsert.jpg

As you can see on the right the card well kind of shifts (and shifts back) where certain cards are supposed to go into different sections of the shift. I find that never happens correctly and I just jam cards in like this image. The minis snap in easily and the cardboard tokens/board pieces go in pretty painlessly as well.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Picked up a few things:
Scythe
Sheriff of Nottingham
and Boss Monster

Trying to talk myself out of buying Mansions of Madness or some other big game from Amazon atm.

edit: looks like Amazon sold out of MoM, so that solves that problem.

I love the look and theme of mansions of madness, but every time I focus on the idea that the app is essential, I decide against it. If the app is essential, we could just be playing on our phones or a Nintendo switch. Why waste so much shelf space?

If this thing didn't require an app, I'd be so in.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Played some Fireball Island over Thanksgiving. I really liked it, but damn is that box flimsy as hell and it was a puzzle in and of itself trying to get it all to fit back into the box. Also I backed at the max level and now I have a shit ton of boxes. Instant regret, but oh well. Didn't fuck with any of the expansions while playing with family but will try them out later. Also played Othello, which is always fun.

As far as new purchases I bought both The Lost Expedition: Fountain of Youth expansion and Tower of Madness. I was going to pick up Pandemic because it seems like the biggest popular game I have yet to play but when I googled to price compare I found out they are releasing a snazzy 10th anniversary edition this year so I pre-ordered that instead.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I love the look and theme of mansions of madness, but every time I focus on the idea that the app is essential, I decide against it. If the app is essential, we could just be playing on our phones or a Nintendo switch. Why waste so much shelf space?

If this thing didn't require an app, I'd be so in.

I'm not an app-driven game apologist by any means - for example I think XCOM is pretty ew - but MOM2 benefits greatly from the app. I have a decent collection of digital board games on my iPad but they're all used solo in a pinch. The tactical feel of a physical board game can't be topped, and MOM2's app streamlines so much bookkeeping and adds some atmosphere with the voice acted bits/music.

Maybe I'm jaded, being an early adopter of the awful MOM1, but the app decision here was definitely for the better.

That being said I think Eldritch or one of the versions of Arkham scratch a nearly identical itch if need be.

MOM2 still the best, though.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Storing the base game in the box is pretty easy ala a game like king of tokyo. The insert is really easy to follow minus the cards as they have a specific order they need to go back in if you want to keep all the sets together. Would have been better if they just had one well of cards with dividers over what they did. It's really the expansions that make me want the broken token insert more then the speed of set up/tear down (not gonna complain about the latter obviously).

MageKnightInsert.jpg

As you can see on the right the card well kind of shifts (and shifts back) where certain cards are supposed to go into different sections of the shift. I find that never happens correctly and I just jam cards in like this image. The minis snap in easily and the cardboard tokens/board pieces go in pretty painlessly as well.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll hold off until if (or likely when) I get the first expansion.

I am so pumped for this game. Just staring out my window waiting for the package to arrive...

The only thing I'm bummed about is the game was selling for $90 everywhere like a week ago. My wife went to buy it for my birthday and it was $120 and sold out of a lot of places.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll hold off until if (or likely when) I get the first expansion.

I am so pumped for this game. Just staring out my window waiting for the package to arrive...

The only thing I'm bummed about is the game was selling for $90 everywhere like a week ago. My wife went to buy it for my birthday and it was $120 and sold out of a lot of places.

Well that's because Mage Knight ultimate is coming out soon for $135~ and has everything in one massive box. The older version of mage knight is going out of print and will become harder to get.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an app-driven game apologist by any means - for example I think XCOM is pretty ew - but MOM2 benefits greatly from the app. I have a decent collection of digital board games on my iPad but they're all used solo in a pinch. The tactical feel of a physical board game can't be topped, and MOM2's app streamlines so much bookkeeping and adds some atmosphere with the voice acted bits/music.

Maybe I'm jaded, being an early adopter of the awful MOM1, but the app decision here was definitely for the better.

That being said I think Eldritch or one of the versions of Arkham scratch a nearly identical itch if need be.

MOM2 still the best, though.
I have a good amount of Eldritch Horror (which has kept me from trying to grab up the AH2nd Edition), and has made the expensive buy in for MoM2 a little less enticing. Trying to figure out how much Call of Cthulhu stuff I really need, you know?

But my friend has Imperial Assault and we're trying to play it soon. Depending on how my experience with the app goes there, I might be more willing to plunk down the change for MoM. The board up-keep turns in Eldritch aren't too annoying, but anything to make running a 2-3 hour game easier seems welcome.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Played some Fireball Island over Thanksgiving. I really liked it, but damn is that box flimsy as hell and it was a puzzle in and of itself trying to get it all to fit back into the box. Also I backed at the max level and now I have a shit ton of boxes. Instant regret, but oh well. Didn't fuck with any of the expansions while playing with family but will try them out later. Also played Othello, which is always fun

If you have everything I highly recommend you always play with the following

Bees
Player power
Objectives
The treasure trove souveniers (sans one type)
The boulder
Pirate ship
The golden icon
5th player (if needed)

I think all of these are really easy to add to FBI and make the game a ton more fun

I'm not as big on

Snakes (they don't stay in their spots well, seems to be a common production problem)

The tiger (too hard/fiddly to use in my experiences)

The take that souveniers from the treasure trove (they have a pizza slice, game is chaotic enough without added take that mechanics. The remaining cards in the treasure trove are fine)

Injuries (they either horribly cripple you for the whole game, or make you invincible at the end of the game)

Honey pots (worth too many points, difficult to steal, penalty for taking them is minor, bgg has a good variant to make these better)

I played with everything with my 12 year old cousin who has extreme autism and attention deficit disorder, she was fully able to enjoy the game and came in 3rd out of 5 (she usually loses all the games we play due to her A.D.D.).

You can also condense everything into two boxes (base box and pirate ship box). Someone on bgg posted a link to an update on the ks which shows you how to do it.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Scored all the KD:M expansions, Echoes of Death, and the Green Armor during Black Friday. Wallet hurts, but not nearly as much as it could have!
As a 1.5 backer who didn't get the Campaigns of Death while it was $40, I'm a little choked that it's been upped to $125 and is now a 1.5 update for current expansions. Had I known it was going to be that, yeah, I would have jumped on it no questions asked. *sigh* Guess I'm gonna have to shell out for it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in Chicago area want to buy an opened and organized but never played gloomhaven for a good price hit me up
I would be tempted if I didn't "accidentally" buy a copy that is new sealed and just sitting there lol.

Still need to figure out what I want to do to organize it, I don't know if I want to spend $73 shipped on a broken token holder.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be tempted if I didn't "accidentally" buy a copy that is new sealed and just sitting there lol.

Still need to figure out what I want to do to organize it, I don't know if I want to spend $73 shipped on a broken token holder.

Darn your accident!
I got Plano boxes and printed out templates from BBG to organize. Was like 15$ total if even that

8348571-C-069-B-45-C5-B972-EE960-E87-B50-D.jpg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Darn your accident!
I got Plano boxes and printed out templates from BBG to organize. Was like 15$ total if even that

8348571-C-069-B-45-C5-B972-EE960-E87-B50-D.jpg
yeah I might do that. Really my copy will likely just stay sealed for a few years as I'm playing through my friend's copy. Just seemed like a game I would want a copy to play in 10-20 years when it might be out of print and hard to get.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
They're really not that similar. Both are great fun, but Inis is by far the better game.

When at its best it feels like you're having a mind-based mudwrestling competition with three friends and your brains are all doused with baby oil, impossible to pin down.
Got it!
Just one question. How much truth is there in that the first game is always kinda underwhelming/confusing and that you need a few plays to really get into it?

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's because Mage Knight ultimate is coming out soon for $135~ and has everything in one massive box. The older version of mage knight is going out of print and will become harder to get.
Yeah I know - I actually thought the opposite would be true. I thought with ultimate coming out at $135 or whatever it is nobody would want the base version at $90.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Got it!
Just one question. How much truth is there in that the first game is always kinda underwhelming/confusing and that you need a few plays to really get into it?

It's not immediate. The game honestly doesn't seem that interesting until you actually play it, but after a few rounds it just clicks. The first time I played it we were four newcomers to the game, and maybe halfway through the first game everybody was onboard and loving it. I don't think you should need several games to get the hang of what you're supposed to be doing, but I guess that can vary between groups.

Last edited:

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

It's relatively simple and he probably could play it with help. You just move, draw cards if you do search and spawn zombies if you open door and then roll dice to kill zombies.

It was because they decided to include player trays so you could store open boxes which I find sort of unnecessary as you can put everything back into their respective boxes. We played 2-player for most of the times so we just remove two of the player tray and still able to keep all the character boxes inside. If you are playing 4 player then you can open and store each characters in the player trays and ether flatten the box and put it underneath the storage or store them somewhere else. Again, personally I don't think the trays were necessary though they were handy for cleaning up. Anyway as an aside I look into several inserts including making my own and I find Broken Token to be the best solution and worth every dollars I spend on it.

Got it!
I used to get Inis to the table every chance I could. I don't think it's as much confusing as that you definitely have advantage when play this type of drafting games if you know the cards and what they do. A lot of time you will have to hate draft just to prevent some people from getting certain cards. I know several here feel Inis is better game, I disagree. Inis is good and very elegant for what it does but Kemet is a better game I think. Inis relied heavily on group dynamics and people to be very shrewd. If you have that type of group then you probably will like Inis a lot. My group are bunch of care bear and get really hurt when someone disrupt their plan (they are mostly Euro gamers) so Inis ultimately ended up fall flat with most in my group.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Hard to choose for me between Dis and Shadow. Dis being super destructive appeals to me. Shadow being super-stealy is fun for me, but actually requires a bit of nuance to play well. Give me those two with anything. Of our 30+ decks, a Dis/Shadow/Mars we have is probably the strongest.

I haven't played it yet, but I have Shadow and Untamed in the same deck (actually the two decks I bought have the same factions: Untamed, Shadow and Logos. Shadows and Untamed means I'm more than likely going to heavily outpace my opponent in amber generation. I think it's going to be pretty good once I get around to playing it.

In other news I missed MoM 2nd for $55 on Amazon on Friday. Miffed about that one.... lowest I've ever seen it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TFW you totally cakewalk November in Pandemic Legacy Season 1, only to realize

that you really should have nuked Khartoum at the end in the game instead of letting it outbreak. It ended up making three new Faded cities. That goes so well with the new objectives in December.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The base box is fine until you get the expansions. My only problem was getting the cards back in properly, there doesn't seem to be enough room.

That said, once I got the expansion I ditched it all for two medium sized tackle boxes so everything can stay split out. This is because I only play solo (I couldn't imagine playing the game with anyone) and most of your setup is hence splitting out all the bits for the other characters that you will never use. So this just makes it nice and easy and helps you get into the game properly.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's OK if you are not planning to sleeve cards. I would get insert if you are going to play on consistent basis. I made foam core one back when I had more free time and got a small Plano tackle box for all the monster tokens for easy sorting and clean up. It did help quite a bit for setting up. (I also sleeved the cards which I usually don't do for solo game but this one get shuffle quite a bit. After I got Star Trek version, I got insert from Broken Token for Mage Knight and used my old one for Trek version and I really like their insert since it fit all the components with all the expansions (though some doesn't have proper place but it works).

Why not play the game a few times and see if it's something you want to invest more time / money in to make insert for? If you like puzzle game with limited deck building and don't mind playing solo it is one of the best solo game with a lot of replay-ability. It was my number one solo game until Arkham Horror LCG. If you haven't check out video by Ricky Royal, he did a very good tutorial / play through.

Fixed

Oct 27, 2017
Darn your accident!
The plano boxes are a god send. I didn't see the templates before, will definitely be adding those.

Also got an accordion folder for the map tiles which helps lots and is another cheap way to get organized.

Just these two things cut down setup time significantly.

As someone who came in after the last Kickstarter I was pretty happy to get into the backer kit for the new expansions and book. Also scored Echoes and Green armor that I've been missing.

I believe that game purchases will need to go to (near) zero for awhile to get over this one though.

Cash N Guns as well as Time's Up were the party game pick-ups for this Christmas. Pretty sure they'll both go over well with the family.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
It's OK if you are not planning to sleeve cards. I would get insert if you are going to play on consistent basis. I made foam core one back when I had more free time and got a small Plano tackle box for all the monster tokens for easy sorting and clean up. It did help quite a bit for setting up. (I also sleeved the cards which I usually don't do for solo game but this one get shuffle quite a bit. After I got Star Trek version, I got insert from Broken Token for Mage Knight and used my old one for Trek version and I really like their insert since it fit all the components with all the expansions (though some doesn't have proper place but it works).

Why not play the game a few times and see if it's something you want to invest more time / money in to make insert for? If you like puzzle game with limited deck building and don't mind playing solo it is one of the best solo game with a lot of replay-ability. It was my number one solo game until Arkham Horror LCG. If you haven't check out video by Ricky Royal, he did a very good tutorial / play through.
Thanks, yeah I plan to play basically 100% solo (also playing Arkham Horror LCG). Reading through the play guide book thing and it's a beast but seems really cool. Looking forward to actually playing it!

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017