• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Have my copy of Pandemic Legacy season 1, probably gonna drag my room mate who's fairly new in the hobby kicking and screaming since everyone else I'd want to play with lives 7 to 40 hours away by car :/

Oct 25, 2017
Mini mart still hasn't shipped my spell smashers. Came out Wednesday.
source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Someone was reporting you need a photograph of the receipt to exchange a banned KeyForge deck which is just absurd if true. People pay cash or don't get a physical receipt all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really unfortunate situation, there was always going to be some if he named generation from the system like this but it seems like a strange oversight to have certain words in there to begin with.

If it's true that you need a receipt for a refund, which honestly make sense, that leaves people with a deck they can only use for personal reasons or skirmish games with friends and that sucks since you don't get a say in the draw.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
I played the first two games of Betrayal Legacy yesterday. Absolute nail-biter, and pretty hilarious too. The story is done cleverly. Could not recommend more highly.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So . . . I watched my first Sit Down and Shut Up reviews today, and man their enthusiast is infectious. I'm already trying to figure out how to order and play Twilight Imperium and (to a lesser degree) Gloomhaven.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So . . . I watched my first Sit Down and Shut Up reviews today, and man their enthusiast is infectious. I'm already trying to figure out how to order and play Twilight Imperium and (to a lesser degree) Gloomhaven.
gloomhaven actually dipped to $94 on amazon today.
if you watch you should be able to get it for $109 somewhere, lower than that can be hard and requires some lucky timing.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just went on a bit of a board game shopping spree, since I want to get into it more. I got:

Small World,
Azul,
The Resistance
and King of Tokyo

Figured Small World will be a nice transition once my group's Risk Legacy run is over. King of Tokyo & Azul will be this year's games for family board game night on christmas eve, since we can't play DnD anymore ever since a couple of people joined the group that won't be there that day.
I have a bunch of friends that I played werewolf with a bunch of times, I assume Resistance will be up their alley. If not I don't have a shortage of other people into games :).

Really looking forward to trying all of these!

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I love the site, but boy did that gloomhaven review annoy me. I'm not sure what it was about it, but it sure did annoy me. Maybe the thing was how long it was that sure did annoy me. Or maybe the thing that annoyed me was that it was a bit long and maybe repeated itself? Probably how much it repeated itself was what annoyed me. Maybe it would have annoyed me less if it was shorter. But I'm not sure, I think it just annoyed me because he said the same thing over and over. So the gloomhaven review kind of annoyed me.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
gloomhaven actually dipped to $94 on amazon today.
if you watch you should be able to get it for $109 somewhere, lower than that can be hard and requires some lucky timing.
Yeah . . . That's still more than I can really afford right now. Well, pretty sure, at least.
I love the site, but boy did that gloomhaven review annoy me. I'm not sure what it was about it, but it sure did annoy me. Maybe the thing was how long it was that sure did annoy me. Or maybe the thing that annoyed me was that it was a bit long and maybe repeated itself? Probably how much it repeated itself was what annoyed me. Maybe it would have annoyed me less if it was shorter. But I'm not sure, I think it just annoyed me because he said the same thing over and over. So the gloomhaven review kind of annoyed me.
Yeah, it wasn't nearly as good as some of their other reviews, but I'd never really looked into the mechanics of the game. The card deck and two cards per turn, using top and bottom abilities was super cool sounding. Same to that sleeve for monster difficulty.

It wasn't really a "good review" but the bits of review that focused on review were good and made me very interested in the game, if that makes sense.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Just went on a bit of a board game shopping spree, since I want to get into it more. I got:

Small World,
Azul,
The Resistance
and King of Tokyo

Figured Small World will be a nice transition once my group's Risk Legacy run is over. King of Tokyo & Azul will be this year's games for family board game night on christmas eve, since we can't play DnD anymore ever since a couple of people joined the group that won't be there that day.
I have a bunch of friends that I played werewolf with a bunch of times, I assume Resistance will be up their alley. If not I don't have a shortage of other people into games :).

Really looking forward to trying all of these!
Those are all great games. I've had King of Tokyo since it came out and I still love it. It might be my favorite game ever.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah . . . That's still more than I can really afford right now. Well, pretty sure, at least.

Yeah, it wasn't nearly as good as some of their other reviews, but I'd never really looked into the mechanics of the game. The card deck and two cards per turn, using top and bottom abilities was super cool sounding. Same to that sleeve for monster difficulty.

It wasn't really a "good review" but the bits of review that focused on review were good and made me very interested in the game, if that makes sense.
1) It is a pricey game, but the content packed in there is massive and puts other games (especially dungeon crawlers) to shame in terms of content/cost value. Multiple games worth jammed in that box.

2) The card management is great. I started the campaign this week and played 8 scenarios in 4 days :D

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1) It is a pricey game, but the content packed in there is massive and puts other games (especially dungeon crawlers) to shame in terms of content/cost value. Multiple games worth jammed in that box.

2) The card management is great. I started the campaign this week and played 8 scenarios in 4 days :D
How long would you estimate a scenario takes? It does seem like it would also scratch the tabletop RPG itch when I can't get four people together.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up Railroad Ink (the blue edition) from my FLGS for $17 based on the SUASD review. What an adorable little game. This is definitely one my wife will play, and I can see some chill zen appeal playing solo while watching TV or listening to a podcast. Like the gaming version of a coloring book.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm. I love, LOVE, me some dungeon crawlers. Star Wars: Imperial Assault (with or without app), Shadows of Brimstone, Mice and Mystics, Fire Team Zero, Descent, World of Smog: Rise of Moloch, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Hero Quest, Advanced Hero Quest... all games I own. I have a few more on the way (Mutant Chronicles and a pirate game whose name is slipping my mind), but Gloomhaven is easily the best value of them all. It's also quite different from the others, given it is a diceless system and has more of a "campaign" feel to it.

Also glad to see more TI love. I haven't tried TI4 yet (I own it, just haven't had a chance to try it), but TI3 is my favorite all time board game.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm. I love, LOVE, me some dungeon crawlers. Star Wars: Imperial Assault (with or without app), Shadows of Brimstone, Mice and Mystics, Fire Team Zero, Descent, World of Smog: Rise of Moloch, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Hero Quest, Advanced Hero Quest... all games I own. I have a few more on the way (Mutant Chronicles and a pirate game whose name is slipping my mind), but Gloomhaven is easily the best value of them all. It's also quite different from the others, given it is a diceless system and has more of a "campaign" feel to it.

Also glad to see more TI love. I haven't tried TI4 yet (I own it, just haven't had a chance to try it), but TI3 is my favorite all time board game.

I spent some time talking to my coworkers about TI4, and I think we might have enough to get a game going--at least for one night. I get paid in 3 days so . . .

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played Terra Mystica for the first time. It's a very interesting game and my SO and my brother loved it. I won by 2 points, I wouldn't be surprised if a few missing points during the game could have made up that difference.

Also got an email from my BGG Secret Santa with a tracking number for my games, of which I was told there are two. Not as crazy as last year where I got like eight games, but that was an amazing anomaly. I am excited to see what I end up getting!

Kind of off topic, but would anyone be interested in a Warhammer Underworlds OT? It's one of my favourite games and the 40k OT seems to be relatively active.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of off topic, but would anyone be interested in a Warhammer Underworlds OT? It's one of my favourite games and the 40k OT seems to be relatively active.

Underworlds is just so damn good.

I don't get to play it enough (like most games) but when I do I always learn so much and spin off theory crafting again.

Had a few games with cursebreakers yesterday and they feel really fun.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno how active it would be, but I would certainly be interested. I played some games yesterday with my Eyes of the Nine and Goblin Gitz warband and got on reasonably well. Although was slowed down massively by my opponent who was using the Ork Iron-whatevertheyarecalled warband with Centre Of Attention to terrifying effect.

Damn, I wish I lived near you. Love my some dungeon games but so many of my mates play wargames (which I enjoy too, but not quite as much) that I rarely get them to the table. I'm hoping that Blackstone Fortress is something of a gateway drug game cos so many of them are 40k fans that they have expressed interest in that game.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Finally played Terra Mystica for the first time. It's a very interesting game and my SO and my brother loved it. I won by 2 points, I wouldn't be surprised if a few missing points during the game could have made up that difference.

Also got an email from my BGG Secret Santa with a tracking number for my games, of which I was told there are two. Not as crazy as last year where I got like eight games, but that was an amazing anomaly. I am excited to see what I end up getting!

I love Terra Mystica, I definitely consider it to be in my top 3 games. Although I still haven't played Gaia Project, which I have a feeling I might end up liking even more.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
As a 1.5 backer who didn't get the Campaigns of Death while it was $40, I'm a little choked that it's been upped to $125 and is now a 1.5 update for current expansions. Had I known it was going to be that, yeah, I would have jumped on it no questions asked. *sigh* Guess I'm gonna have to shell out for it.

As someone who came in after the last Kickstarter I was pretty happy to get into the backer kit for the new expansions and book. Also scored Echoes and Green armor that I've been missing.

I believe that game purchases will need to go to (near) zero for awhile to get over this one though.

Little late to responding to these, but yeah...It was a bit of a pricey sale. I ended up grabbing all Wave 1 expansions, Green Armor, Campaigns of Death, and Gambler's Chest. I couldn't justify another $1000 for the Wave 4 expansions. I'll just bank on another sale for those later down the line (which I'm sure will happen honestly).

Now I just need to figure out how to put this game on my folding table. I need to modify it somehow to be about 12" wider than it is. I bought a folding table at Lowe's last year for cheap (it's one of those that are probably 30" wide). The length is fine at at least 6', but the width is just too shallow. Anyone ever successfully modified or created a lightweight topper for smaller tables?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am doing the thing where I buy/back too many games but never play them. I should stop that...
Sad thing is I do want to play them but don't have the peoples...

Oct 27, 2017
I am doing the thing where I buy/back too many games but never play them. I should stop that...
Sad thing is I do want to play them but don't have the peoples...

I've run into this a lot as well. I actually have a decent group that has an eclectic amount of taste but those taste never seem to include bigger or complex games on a regular basis. Even so, that didn't stop me from going all in on the reprint of Deep Madness....

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
so i've had a bit of an issue recently. bought Root as soon as it came out, but over two games two of my group got strangled out hard enough that they never want to play again. i still love it and at least my younger sisters do too so i can get a couple of games in when i go visit my parents. also grabbed some Smash Up, but most of my group has too much trouble turning off their brains to ignore the balance issues. was gonna pick up Scythe on black friday, but after what happened with Root i wanted to avoid just picking up another high stress game (also i din't really think it could unseat Terraforming Mars which is my group's current hard game goto). ended up impulse picking up Tokaido, hopefully that'll go over well. also grabbed a couple of Keyforge decks and some tokens from Art of War, but i have small hope of my group actually getting into it. likely gonna just find some friends to play some games with and hopefully i can find a shop locally with organized play not on shabbos.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I wish I lived near you. Love my some dungeon games but so many of my mates play wargames (which I enjoy too, but not quite as much) that I rarely get them to the table. I'm hoping that Blackstone Fortress is something of a gateway drug game cos so many of them are 40k fans that they have expressed interest in that game.
We are former 40k/fantasy players as well, which is probably part of why I love dungeon crawlers: my first 40k exposure was the original Space Hulk board game. (which I have, along with the more recent remake) Sadly I'm no longer near my friends and my family isn't really into dungeon crawlers, so they mostly go unplayed. Mostly. Imperial Assault has the app and many of the others are either pure co-op or soloable. Not quite as fun tho. You in the US by any chance? XD

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
We are former 40k/fantasy players as well, which is probably part of why I love dungeon crawlers: my first 40k exposure was the original Space Hulk board game. (which I have, along with the more recent remake) Sadly I'm no longer near my friends and my family isn't really into dungeon crawlers, so they mostly go unplayed. Mostly. Imperial Assault has the app and many of the others are either pure co-op or soloable. Not quite as fun tho. You in the US by any chance? XD
I love dungeon crawlers. I currently own Gloomhaven and Massive Darkness; I also just purchased Blackstone Fortress (first 40k experience!) and I'm about to grab Shadows of Brimstone (City of the Ancients and Swamps of Death) next week. I did briefly own Imperial Assault. I enjoyed the Star Wars flavour, but it didn't gel with my gaming buddy and so I sold it.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I love dungeon crawlers. I currently own Gloomhaven and Massive Darkness; I also just purchased Blackstone Fortress (first 40k experience!) and I'm about to grab Shadows of Brimstone (City of the Ancients and Swamps of Death) next week. I did briefly own Imperial Assault. I enjoyed the Star Wars flavour, but it didn't gel with my gaming buddy and so I sold it.

Oh Shadows of Brimstone.... <3

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows of Brimstone I think is a bit underappreciated for the genre. It's full co-op, with outstanding flavour and really great game design. I know that it (rightly imo) gets dinged for all of the figures requiring assembly, which is not something most regular board games require and certainly not something most board gamers are used to. Heck, my first 5 or 6 games used stand-in models from other games. D&D zombies for Hungering Dead, some Star Wars droids for the big claw dudes whose name escapes me, etc. etc. That said, there is a LOT of expansions for the game, and the one I most recommend is the Frontier Towns expansion. It really, REALLY fleshes out the "in between missions" part of the game, which is pretty sizable to me.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I love Shadows, but yea putting together the figs was crappy, and they aren't the best quality. My biggest gripe though is storing all those minis! They are too fragile to just dump in a box like most hard rubbery board game minis, they need separate storage, I have a bunch of space being taken up by tons of Shadows figures and I got a bunch I never put together yet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Nothing grates my nerves then when designers/publishers don't consider storage of their games and give the player a shitty/no insert. Fantasy Flight is especially egregious with this between battelore 2.0, mansions of madness 2.0, and arkham horror lcg (and probably soon keyforge).

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that this is supposed to be a storage box for the game ala the big geeky box for smash up. If you only show the cards that come with a storage box/the base game it'll make the storage box look needlessly big.

Nope, wasn't a storage box. It came with a big huge inset with a few sealed decks to open in specific order for a 'campaign' version of netrunner. It really was that ridiculous.