• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I would say "back in the day," there were maybe 2-3 great games a year. I've been in the hobby since 2011, and the number of games per year goes up pretty dramatically, until I petered off a little bit as I finally started to curtail my spending. Some games that are included here are on the chopping block, so the numbers would probably be further skewed towards newer stuff if I took those out of my BGG collection.

2000: 1
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 2
2008: 2
2009: 3
2010: 3
2011: 9
2012: 7
2013: 11
2014: 11
2015: 20
2016: 11
2017: 15
2018: 7

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sticking with 1999, that year alone had Ra, Chinatown, Lost Cities, Battle Line/ST, Apples to Apples, Paths of Glory, A&A Europe, Tikal, Torres, Vinci (Small World), etc.

The first two-to-four of those can absolutely go toe to toe with anything released in the last few years.

Pretty much every year in the following decade (1999-2008) gave us a long list of absolutely amazing games, particularly a number of economic (Imperial, AoS, Brass, Container, Princes of Florence, Power Grid)/engine/tableau-building (Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, Puerto Rico, Agricola, Through the Ages)/thematic (Battlestar Galactica, Fury of Dracula 2e, Twilight Struggle/1960) games that still stand unchallenged (except perhaps by later editions/direct derivatives).

Admittedly I'm biased, as I got into modern boardgames around 2001 and played a lot of the above while they were new with enthusiastic players who were willing to play multiple times to become skilled enough to play competitively. Anyone who's new to, say, Age of Steam is going to get obliterated (quite possibly eliminated), which makes it harder to find new players today. Newer games do tend to be much gentler.

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Sticking with 1999, that year alone had Ra, Chinatown, Lost Cities, Battle Line/ST, Apples to Apples, Paths of Glory, A&A Europe, Tikal, Torres, Vinci (Small World), etc.

The first two-to-four of those can absolutely go toe to toe with anything released in the last few years.

Pretty much every year in the following decade (1999-2008) gave us a long list of absolutely amazing games, particularly a number of economic (Imperial, AoS, Brass, Container, Princes of Florence, Power Grid)/engine/tableau-building (Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, Puerto Rico, Agricola, Through the Ages)/thematic (Battlestar Galactica, Fury of Dracula 2e, Twilight Struggle/1960) games that still stand unchallenged (except perhaps by later editions/direct derivatives).

Admittedly I'm biased, as I got into modern boardgames around 2001 and played a lot of the above while they were new with enthusiastic players who were willing to play multiple times to become skilled enough to play competitively. Anyone who's new to, say, Age of Steam is going to get obliterated (quite possibly eliminated), which makes it harder to find new players today. Newer games do tend to be much gentler.

I have to concur. It's true that there are more high quality games released these days than ever before, but that is probably more to do with there being more games released in general than anything else. There are great iterations of old ideas released, and new ideas as well, but there are also a myriad of mini-heavy kickstarter games that sometimes are forgotten before they are even released.

Some of the classics already mentioned in the last few posts, such as Ra, Chinatown, Cosmic Encounter, Tigris and Euphrates, Container and Twilight Struggle are all better than most games released last year and are constantly reissued for a reason. This is a great time to be into boardgames for sure, but let's not overlook the classics. They are too much fun to deserve that.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have played Magic for the first time today (commander). It's okay, but every card is like the bible and you need to spend 10 minutes to understand it, it feels like.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to try out Castles of Burgundy, 2p. I thought I was doing okay, until my opponent started blasting various combos and ultimately crushed me D:

Really fun game, I really enjoy the mechanics (the lack of theme didn't even matter!). Looking forward to seeing what the new edition will look like.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my RE2 the board game boxes and damn I dunno how I'm gonna store all this stuff.

1. Get rid of the insets in base, B Files, and Survival Horror.
2. Get rid of boxes for Retro Pack, 4th Survivor, Murder of Crows, 3D Doors, 3D Tokens, Giant Gator, Monster boxes and KS exclusive models. Get rid of the insets of all those except 3D Doors.
3. Place Malformation of G entirely, 3D door inset, and 3D token content, and Murder of Crows content into Base Game
4. Place Malformation of G B scenario entirely in B Scenario box
6. Place remaining content besides Retro (4th Survivor, Gator, Monsters, KS models, dice) into Survival Horror box. Retro tiles can go here as well if need be.
7. Divide up the Retro content in conjunction in how you divided up the matching content.

Should leave you with 3 boxes. Base, B-Scenario, and Survival Horror. Everything will need to be bagged, but it's the only way to really cut down.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
1. Get rid of the insets in base, B Files, and Survival Horror.
2. Get rid of boxes for Retro Pack, 4th Survivor, Murder of Crows, 3D Doors, 3D Tokens, Giant Gator, Monster boxes and KS exclusive models. Get rid of the insets of all those except 3D Doors.
3. Place Malformation of G entirely, 3D door inset, and 3D token content, and Murder of Crows content into Base Game
4. Place Malformation of G B scenario entirely in B Scenario box
6. Place remaining content besides Retro (4th Survivor, Gator, Monsters, KS models, dice) into Survival Horror box. Retro tiles can go here as well if need be.
7. Divide up the Retro content in conjunction in how you divided up the matching content.

Should leave you with 3 boxes. Base, B-Scenario, and Survival Horror. Everything will need to be bagged, but it's the only way to really cut down.

Sounds like a plan, this game may finally get me to go out and get some plano boxes since I'd like the minis to not slide around like crazy. The oversized ones like the gator and birkin 5 can just go into a bag :P

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Locked in my pledge for digital bloodrage. Got the upgraded clan tokens, card board tracks, and card board side boards. As much as I like neoprene they take up too much space and don't store well anywhere. Once I pick up a copy of the mystics of midgard expansion I'll be content complete for BR which makes me very happy.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Played it once, and while it has largely the same gameplay as Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (rip), it sadly uses a much weaker campaign structure: none. You basically do all your leveling up during a single mission, so while there might be a story feeling from mission to mission, the "level up" feeling is gone. Combine that with the removal of item cards and it seems a little more dull overall. That said, the hero powers are a nice addition to the game, and since the feel of the game is the same as WHQ:AC, it definitely scratches that nice co-op planning tactical itch.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Does Heroes of Terrinoth fix the issue of really needing to play with 4 characters? I tried playing WHQ:ACG a couple times as a 2p game (each controlling one character), and found it to be a very frustrating experience. I know we could easily each control two characters, but I find a lose a lot of the immersion when I do that.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Played it once, and while it has largely the same gameplay as Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (rip), it sadly uses a much weaker campaign structure: none. You basically do all your leveling up during a single mission, so while there might be a story feeling from mission to mission, the "level up" feeling is gone. Combine that with the removal of item cards and it seems a little more dull overall. That said, the hero powers are a nice addition to the game, and since the feel of the game is the same as WHQ:AC, it definitely scratches that nice co-op planning tactical itch.
Yeah, when I read that what they did I canceled my order for the game. Arkham Horror LCG keep me busy enough with card game. I did play the demo at PAX and thought it was bland but I chalked it up to the Terrinoth theme.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when I read that what they did I canceled my order for the game. Arkham Horror LCG keep me busy enough with card game. I did play the demo at PAX and thought it was bland but I chalked it up to the Terrinoth theme.
I don't have a problem with the Terrinoth theme, really. Warhammer Fantasy is a largely generic if dark fantasy setting, so Terrinoth isn't really a step up or down. It's really the lack of a campaign phase that weakens the game overall, to me. It removes the feeling of a "campaign" almost entirely, which breaks the game down into one-offs and there really is not enough meat to the game for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the desire for a campaign, but on the other hand I literally NEVER in multiple attempts ever won the first game in the Warhammer card game campaign, so I never even got to see what it felt like to have item progression. And I feel like half the time people talked about the game being doable, it would then turn out that they missed some key rule(s) due to the rulebook being awful, so it was no wonder they had won.

The first Terrinoth mission was super easy with 3 people which I guess is partly due to it being a tutorial. I like that there are 12 different characters, though I wonder how much upgrade variety you'll really feel since you only get 2 level ups per game as far as I can tell.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I honestly didn't find the Warhammer version that hard as long as you use your abilities to delay and disable enemies to slow down the horde. Got the first mission on first try and the second on second try. It being just a series of enemies to smack around was the drag for me. Wanted a little more dungeon experience.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks! I'll look at some videos before buying.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't find the Warhammer version that hard as long as you use your abilities to delay and disable enemies to slow down the horde. Got the first mission on first try and the second on second try. It being just a series of enemies to smack around was the drag for me. Wanted a little more dungeon experience.
And that's the sort of thing I saw people saying repeatedly on the first game, and it often turned out some rule had been missed, and no matter which player count I played with, it was rarely even close. :/ Perhaps my luck with cards and dice is abysmal.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the desire for a campaign, but on the other hand I literally NEVER in multiple attempts ever won the first game in the Warhammer card game campaign, so I never even got to see what it felt like to have item progression. And I feel like half the time people talked about the game being doable, it would then turn out that they missed some key rule(s) due to the rulebook being awful, so it was no wonder they had won.

The first Terrinoth mission was super easy with 3 people which I guess is partly due to it being a tutorial. I like that there are 12 different characters, though I wonder how much upgrade variety you'll really feel since you only get 2 level ups per game as far as I can tell.
The first mission was probably one of the hardest. We just barely eeked out a victory on that one, and then immediately lost on the second mission. Really it comes down to knowing when to travel and when to rest. If you can force a couple of enemies back into the Shadows (with for instance the Scout's ability) right before you travel, you can discard those enemies without having to deal with them at all. The hardest thing to remember for us was to look for the Coin on the Exploration cards, which got you an item draw in addition to the Exploration card's effects.

Thanks! I'll look at some videos before buying.
Happy to help!

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
And that's the sort of thing I saw people saying repeatedly on the first game, and it often turned out some rule had been missed, and no matter which player count I played with, it was rarely even close. :/ Perhaps my luck with cards and dice is abysmal.
Maybe. My dice like tends to be really good in this game with multiple crits, but I found that keeping enemies from acting was generally more important than doing damage to them. Don't sleep on exploring either to get some helpful items even if it leads to discarding. I feel like the game is designed to feel overwhelming but only if you treat it like a straight fight. It's more survival than battle.

Oct 25, 2017
The first mission was probably one of the hardest. We just barely eeked out a victory on that one, and then immediately lost on the second mission. Really it comes down to knowing when to travel and when to rest. If you can force a couple of enemies back into the Shadows (with for instance the Scout's ability) right before you travel, you can discard those enemies without having to deal with them at all. The hardest thing to remember for us was to look for the Coin on the Exploration cards, which got you an item draw in addition to the Exploration card's effects.
Unfortunately the scout can only exhaust and force a single enemy into the shadows, so at most that might buy you one less enemy before traveling, and only if that particular card were available. Anything else will come flying out of the shadows onto your face before you're allowed to do the travel phase.

You can of course get lucky with enemies that retreat themselves, or not having a million enemies spawn, but yeah. :P

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the scout can only exhaust and force a single enemy into the shadows, so at most that might buy you one less enemy before traveling, and only if that particular card were available. Anything else will come flying out of the shadows onto your face before you're allowed to do the travel phase.

You can of course get lucky with enemies that retreat themselves, or not having a million enemies spawn, but yeah. :P
Well yeah, she can only do one at a time, but there are other things in the game to force them back. You may have to exhaust them so they don't Advance during their turn (since exhausted enemies don't get activated), but I just meant the general idea of "enemies in the shadows go away when you travel" can sometimes mean you need to either rush exploration so you can travel, or hold off on traveling so you can send an enemy back so it goes away. Things like that.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
nicoga3000
Flying Frog are launching a new Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter next week with two stand-alone adventure sets; the Norse themed Gates of Valhalla and Spanish themed Valley of the Serpent Kings. The new project includes Team Heroes, new World cards for Targa and Jargono, new Loot and Scavenge decks, mythic KS-Exclusive Promo Heroes, Ambition, Rage and the Thunderforged Titan! More details are listed on the latest update for the FoFo KS. It looks like we're going to see the Targa Library!

I'm looking forward to this one. I missed the original Shadows of Brimstone and Forbidden Fortress Kickstarters, but was able to pick up the Outlaw and Shogun pledges on the after-market.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
4xaZLhp.jpg

Xancpqe.jpg

So a very exciting week. I managed to snag a copy of The Gallerist this week during a local shop's board game sale. Many of the shops here just don't have many of Vital's (or EGG games) available and are overpriced crazily due to shipping and such. So I'm to get it with a discount too. I wanted to get Lisboa as well, but the shop unfortunately decided not to honour their 20% off the website price but only their stickered price (about $50 more expensive), so I decided not to get it. I also picked up Bruxelles 1893 from Amazon, it was only $8 so I got another.

I wanted to get Arboretum but it wasn't worth lining up 30 minutes for $5 off.

I can't play The Gallerist for another 3 months until I get back home, but that's ok, I'll just read the rules and think about the moves I'll make instead.

For someone new to the hobby, what older games are must buys/plays? I have Catan (this is the breakout game for the new wave, right?), but was thinking about Carcassonne and maybe Castles of Burgundy.

I want to get a sense of the history of board games and see how contemporary games built from their design...

I've been away from the hobby for about 5 years because I moved away from home, and only got back into the hobby last year. One thing about more recent games, is that I find that there's a lot more thought on fitting the themes with the mechanics. Or vice versa. When I think of older games like Catan, or Carcasonne, the theme feels a little separated from the mechanics. But games like Terraforming Mars or Scythe really do a great job with theme, art and overall production of the game. It doesn't feel like a 'euro' anymore, but a board game.

Of the older games that stand the test of time, I think filler games like For Sale, Fairy Tale, No Thanks or even Race for the Galaxy do well, because they're meant to be short and fun. Even games like Puerto Rico that was number 1 on boardgamegeek for what was like eons, doesn't really hold up to things in the Top 10 now. Puerto Rico is still a really good game though, just that its probably been played to death.

If you want to try out Carcasonne the iPad (or PC) version is a great place to start. https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/tabletop-bundle - just $10 bucks this week along with Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Splendor, Mysterium, Smallworld and some other games. Great deal.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
4xaZLhp.jpg

I've been away from the hobby for about 5 years because I moved away from home, and only got back into the hobby last year. One thing about more recent games, is that I find that there's a lot more thought on fitting the themes with the mechanics. Or vice versa. When I think of older games like Catan, or Carcasonne, the theme feels a little separated from the mechanics. But games like Terraforming Mars or Scythe really do a great job with theme, art and overall production of the game. It doesn't feel like a 'euro' anymore, but a board game.

Of the older games that stand the test of time, I think filler games like For Sale, Fairy Tale, No Thanks or even Race for the Galaxy do well, because they're meant to be short and fun. Even games like Puerto Rico that was number 1 on boardgamegeek for what was like eons, doesn't really hold up to things in the Top 10 now. Puerto Rico is still a really good game though, just that its probably been played to death.

If you want to try out Carcasonne the iPad (or PC) version is a great place to start. https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/tabletop-bundle - just $10 bucks this week along with Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Splendor, Mysterium, Smallworld and some other games. Great deal.

Yes, The Gallerist! The box is huge. The cheapest I've seen it is $100 and I'll probably snag it (and the expansions) at some point. Honestly, I'm thinking of getting all of Lacerda's games.

And thanks for the discussion of older games. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, The Gallerist! The box is huge. The cheapest I've seen it is $100 and I'll probably snag it (and the expansions) at some point. Honestly, I'm thinking of getting all of Lacerda's games.

And thanks for the discussion of older games. Much appreciated.

Yes that's the boot of my brother's VW Golf. I think that's a pretty big box? I hope our table is big enough. I haven't played any of Vital Lacerda's games, only found out about them this week really but I like his themes and I like euros and have been enjoying going through the rules for all his games. If The Gallerist, Lisboa and Vinhos play well, I'll get CO2, Kanban and On Mars too. As long as the rules read well for On mars I think I'll be in for the Kickstarter. Vital says its like The Martian so that sounds good enough already!

I don't know where you live but Eagle Gryphon Games are pretty expensive here in Australia. The games are heavy and they don't ship in large enough quantities is my guess. It's only a guess but I don't think they will discount them all that much, for the Railways of Portugal KS where they sold past VL games, they still charged $130 for Escape Plan, $139 for Lisboa, $119 for Vinhos, $110 The Gallerist and I don't think that includes shipping either. Maybe if someone knows more about VL games prices they can comment more. I see on camelcamelcamel that Vinhos had a period where it was $79 with drops to $68, so there's a bit of hope yet!

Nov 13, 2017
The Eagle Griffin Editions of Lacerda games are all ultra high quality in components and everything though, so I don't feel they are overpriced. Shipping all across the world, is a different story. Eventually when Vital gets the Kanban rights back they will do a version of it too.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yes that's the boot of my brother's VW Golf. I think that's a pretty big box? I hope our table is big enough. I haven't played any of Vital Lacerda's games, only found out about them this week really but I like his themes and I like euros and have been enjoying going through the rules for all his games. If The Gallerist, Lisboa and Vinhos play well, I'll get CO2, Kanban and On Mars too. As long as the rules read well for On mars I think I'll be in for the Kickstarter. Vital says its like The Martian so that sounds good enough already!

I don't know where you live but Eagle Gryphon Games are pretty expensive here in Australia. The games are heavy and they don't ship in large enough quantities is my guess. It's only a guess but I don't think they will discount them all that much, for the Railways of Portugal KS where they sold past VL games, they still charged $130 for Escape Plan, $139 for Lisboa, $119 for Vinhos, $110 The Gallerist and I don't think that includes shipping either. Maybe if someone knows more about VL games prices they can comment more. I see on camelcamelcamel that Vinhos had a period where it was $79 with drops to $68, so there's a bit of hope yet!
I am new to the hobby and recently heard about him, as well. And the cost is what has stopped me... for now. lol

XShagrath has The Gallerist, I think, so I'll convince him to play it with me some time. Escape Plan seems like a must-buy, though. Even for $140.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I am new to the hobby and recently heard about him, as well. And the cost is what has stopped me... for now. lol

XShagrath has The Gallerist, I think, so I'll convince him to play it with me some time. Escape Plan seems like a must-buy, though. Even for $140.
I've also got Lisboa. I have access to Vinhos, Kanban, CO2 (the first edition), and Escape Plan (when it releases) as well.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Damn, man. Are they all must-buys? Stonemaier makes a winery game that I've been looking at, too. But if Vinhos is better...

Last edited:

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
nicoga3000
Flying Frog are launching a new Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter next week with two stand-alone adventure sets; the Norse themed Gates of Valhalla and Spanish themed Valley of the Serpent Kings. The new project includes Team Heroes, new World cards for Targa and Jargono, new Loot and Scavenge decks, mythic KS-Exclusive Promo Heroes, Ambition, Rage and the Thunderforged Titan! More details are listed on the latest update for the FoFo KS. It looks like we're going to see the Targa Library!

I'm looking forward to this one. I missed the original Shadows of Brimstone and Forbidden Fortress Kickstarters, but was able to pick up the Outlaw and Shogun pledges on the after-market.
As a backer of SoB and FoFo, I kinda wish they'd have announced it coming to KS in 6 months or so to give a bit of breathing room. I'll have to wait and see, but as it stands now, I'll have to opt out of this one... and it pains me to do so. Between wanting to get into Arkahm Horror: TCG and wanting to back the upcoming Level 99 Games Seventh Cross KS, I don't think I can afford another FFP KS.

Glad for you though that it'll give you a chance to jump in - it's a fun game.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen the Gallerist as low as $54 here in the US on one of those Miniatures Market sale. It is a great game and one of my favorite of Lacerda along with Lisboa. I remember when first getting into Euro several years ago and how intimidating that box was. His games are actually relatively simple action-wise. In the Gallerist you essentially move your pawn from one spot to the next and take action and in Lisboa you play your card and take action then draw a card. The complexity come in with how to plan so you take the action at the right time and maximize your resource and scoring.

I read that one of the reason for huge cost of game in Australia is because of huge imported custom tax.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I have seen the Gallerist as low as $54 here in the US on one of those Miniatures Market sale. It is a great game and one of my favorite of Lacerda along with Lisboa. I remember when first getting into Euro several years ago and how intimidating that box was. His games are actually relatively simple action-wise. In the Gallerist you essentially move your pawn from one spot to the next and take action and in Lisboa you play your card and take action then draw a card. The complexity come in with how to plan so you take the action at the right time and maximize your resource and scoring.

I read that one of the reason for huge cost of game in Australia is because of huge imported custom tax.
Sold out on Mini-Market. Do they regularly get games back in stock? 62 is way better than 99.

So the weight comes from strategy rather than a complex rule set?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I have Vinhos, Gallerist, and Lisboa with Escape Plan on the way. To me, Lacerda games are worth it more than these mini-laden Kickstarters for pretty much the same price.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Black Sonata is kinda cool.

I'd probably play it more on my phone tho, shuffling the deck after each game takes just a bit too long to want to play multiple games in a row.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sold out on Mini-Market. Do they regularly get games back in stock? 62 is way better than 99.

So the weight comes from strategy rather than a complex rule set?
No, the action is simple but the ramification of taking the action is what make it heavy. There are lot of rules and iconography and will take a few games to digest. Plus action in one area will affect your board in different area etc. One of the thing I often told new player is to think about where your end goal is. Both Gallerist and Lisboa have end game scoring tiles that help guide you because there are lot of things going on on that board. Both game also have really good solitaire rule that will help you learn the game.

This review on BBG has great overview https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552656/minas-not-so-mini-review-gallerist-two
and I think it's one of the few heavier game that Rodney did a teaching and play through on Watch it Played!

I think the last time it went on sale Mini-Mart wanted to clear them out. I believe it is now OOP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Damn! I'll grab it if I can find it then.
And Watch it Played is a great reviewer, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the info!

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, man. Are they all must-buys? Stonemaier makes a winery game that I've been looking at, too. But if Vinhos is better...

Viticulture, Im interested in that too, but I want to get Vinhos first. I like all the different concepts in Vinhos, like the weather system, acquiring vineyards and wineries, and aging the wine.

And Watch It Played is great. My favourite.

Oh yeah its something like that - Music and Books apparently get off scott free (educational or some bullshit rule), but video games get taxed so maybe board games get taxed too. But I think its more the shipping cost and the low volume shipped. Plus the Aussie dollar is so low. There's some stuff that I see much cheaper, mostly smaller games like Citadels, Codenames, Kingdomino, Arboretum and that sort of thing. When it gets heavier and weighs more and sells less, the price is a lot more expensive vs the US price.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Funny to see folks talking about Vitals games. I got a game of The Gallerist last night with the GF. :)

Edit: PS buy Vitals games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
He doesn't review game which I think is all for the best. You watch him teach the rules or play through and figure it out if it's a game for you.

Yes, good point. But he's really good at it. I think I confused him and Tom Vassel.

Viticulture, Im interested in that too, but I want to get Vinhos first. I like all the different concepts in Vinhos, like the weather system, acquiring vineyards and wineries, and aging the wine.

I don't know which one looks better to be honest. Both are excellent designers, too. Or at least I'm taking everybody's word for it with Vital as I have yet to play one of his games.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, good point. But he's really good at it. I think I confused him and Tom Vassel.

I don't know which one looks better to be honest. Both are excellent designers, too. Or at least I'm taking everybody's word for it with Vital as I have yet to play one of his games.
I've only played Vinhos once. I've got a couple plays of Viticulture too, and it's good. It's definitely more accessible than Vinhos.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Viticulture EE + Tuscany EE is both accessible and very good.

I own extremely obtuse and opaque games like Pax Renaissance, and I like Pax Renaissance, but I still don't think it's a solid all-around game like Viticulture for the average group.
Yes, the group you play with will definitely have an affect on the games you buy/play.

First time hearing about Pax Resistance... I want it! lol

I have also been looking at New Angeles, the Android universe game. Anyone played/recommend it?