• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
I'm looking for some opinions on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past game. I just received my survey for the TMNT Adventures: City Fall Kickstarter and I'm considering an "All-In" pledge. I'm familiar with the component problems that plagued the first game, namely concerning inconsistencies with the miniature scaling, but is the gameplay solid? In the absence of quality TMNT video games, a board game that accurately realises the theme would be extremely satisfying.

I'm hoping to pledge for at least one of the core boxes, if not everything by the 28th of February, in order to qualify for the 70+ free comics.

I think it's fantastic and it is my gaming group's favorite 1 vs. many. The only thing we wished it had to round out the package was coop and with these new sets it now is. I'm excited to play all the new missions and I love that I'll be able to play it solo in the interim between game nights with my group.

I went all in and am looking forward to the free comics as well to read through for the first time.

This is probably my #1 anticipated game I'm waiting for right now even ahead of Street Masters if only because my group loves it so much.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Did anyone here back Empyreal? If so, do you also get the weird feeling that they were truly banking on that game being some sort of mega-backed thing and didn't work out? It feels like they've been holding back and delaying a bit as if hoping to get more late pledges in or something

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone here back Empyreal? If so, do you also get the weird feeling that they were truly banking on that game being some sort of mega-backed thing and didn't work out? It feels like they've been holding back and delaying a bit as if hoping to get more late pledges in or something
I like Level99 but I specifically didn't back that game (or unbacked it during the campaign) after playing it on TTS. I decided it was too busy and fiddly for my preferences and group.

On this topic, I was wondering in general: For people who use Kickstarter, have you found you're more or less likely to back a game if an official TTS module is available you can try? I know at least two games I didn't back because I found the game wasn't for me. It feels pro-consumer to make such a thing, but it also has the videogame demo problem -- the demo can actually reduce sales, either because people discover they don't actually want your game (it's bad or not for them), or because they get enough satisfaction out of the demo that they're no longer interested in the full game.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I like Level99 but I specifically didn't back that game (or unbacked it during the campaign) after playing it on TTS. I decided it was too busy and fiddly for my preferences and group.

On this topic, I was wondering in general: For people who use Kickstarter, have you found you're more or less likely to back a game if an official TTS module is available you can try? I know at least two games I didn't back because I found the game wasn't for me. It feels pro-consumer to make such a thing, but it also has the videogame demo problem -- the demo can actually reduce sales, either because people discover they don't actually want your game (it's bad or not for them), or because they get enough satisfaction out of the demo that they're no longer interested in the full game.

That's a good question. I'm sure it'll impact people differently. I can tell I'll like a game based on a video overview of the rules. I appreciate good components and art as well. I thought Empyreal had all 3. So TTS is unnecessary for me. My decision to back on kickstarter is usually based on the reliability of the group (i.e. I knew Level99 had already had success several times over), and the KS exclusive goodies. It's a big investment for me and there are a lot of good options already in the market. To take the risk of backing, it's nice to know there's a bonus to it.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Backed Shipwreck Arcana based on the demo. Going forward, I'd need a demo to consider backing. It's too long a wait for kickstarter games considering how many games already on the shelves.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I actually had them in my cart when they were in stock but I decided not to grab them mostly because the storage containers that come with it fit perfect and these pieces are so much larger I'd need larger storage containers and not sure if they'd fit in the box

I may still break down and get them though
Ah, I thought you may have still been looking around for upgrades, but now I remember your storage issues.

Still playing Wingspan? Still great?

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Railroad Ink this afternoon, very excited to give this one a go, possibly tomorrow. Going to get co workers in on it during the week.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fantastic and it is my gaming group's favorite 1 vs. many. The only thing we wished it had to round out the package was coop and with these new sets it now is. I'm excited to play all the new missions and I love that I'll be able to play it solo in the interim between game nights with my group.

I went all in and am looking forward to the free comics as well to read through for the first time.

This is probably my #1 anticipated game I'm waiting for right now even ahead of Street Masters if only because my group loves it so much.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. It honestly looks engaging and thematically accurate. Knowing the gameplay is solid and holds up to scrutiny is reassuring and has helped to convince me to follow through on my pledge. I mostly play solo, if not with my partner's brother; between work and other commitments, joining a gaming group isn't an option. Having co-op and/or solo options is a must and this game seems assured to deliver an abundance of content on that front. I'm glad there's an option to upgrade to a core box now and then the second later. The launch of the Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter has led me to reevaluate my gaming budget in light of its short campaign period and my desire to go 'all-in'.

Do you have the Street Masters base game? At this stage, I have commitments to Shadows of Brimstone, Street Masters: Aftershock and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures: City Fall. Street Masters feels possibly redundant against TMNT, but everything I've read about Street Masters has been overwhelmingly positive.

Flying Frog Productions has their latest Shadows Of Brimstone Kickstarter up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-brimstone-adventures/description

I know it's super recent after the Forbidden Fortress one arrived, but man... Viking classes? Conquistadors? Giant viking robots? My poor wallet...
I pledged at the Early Bird, Warlord tier. I might have only received Forbidden Fortress a couple of weeks ago, but I'm impressed with the quality and volume of content that was delivered and have faith in Flying Frog Productions to be able to replicate their results again, here. I do think though, that this is likely to be my final dive into the plethora of expansions and gameplay add-ons available for Shadows of Brimstone. At this point, there is so much available, that is highly unlikely to actually see the table.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't weighed in on the new Kickstarter for Brimstone!

I got into the early bird Warlord 4 minutes before it closed. The savings of $5 wasn't worth it to me up front, but the stretch goals are showing promise. I'm still waiting for my Egyptian or Atlantis themed Adventure set...Or the fucking Ghost Train.

Quality of components from the OG sets to FoFo are CRAZY. Like, so much nicer. They finally figured this out.

As for the game, they're doing some interesting stuff with these Adventure sets. I'm excited to tinker with the new sub-class style system they're implementing. It will definitely open up some fun build diversity early on. Not sure how it will pan out as the heroes gain levels (because max level heroes are OP). I'm also crazy intrigued by the Strike Team. I'm not 100% sure what it is yet, but I look very forward to giving it a go.

I still need the stupid Magma Giant, Dark Altar, and Darkstone Scorpions to complete my collection. Since I won't be going to Gen Con, I'll have to get lucky on the store with those. I need a few card supplements, too...But tracking those is annoying.

If you're thinking of diving into Brimstone, I think grabbing the latest Kickstarter + a core set is aces. Fortunately, the only stuff you'll have a hard time tracking down would be the KS Exclusive heroes, but they sold the Outlaw hero as an add-on during the last pledge manager. So they may do that + the 2 FoFo exclusive heroes during this one.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Anybody else whipping out a random game from you library and look at all the board/cards/art/figures? Love doing this... just to remind myself that I need to play that game soon sometime and get familiar with it a bit.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else whipping out a random game from you library and look at all the board/cards/art/figures? Love doing this... just to remind myself that I need to play that game soon sometime and get familiar with it a bit.
From time to time, I like to take a little refresher at the rules of the game, just so I remember how certain ones are played, especially if it's a heavy-set one.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my shipping invoice for part 2 of Forbidden Fortress! Honestly can't even remember what I ordered beyond FINALLY getting the Outlaw class.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Iwari has its kickstarter next week (March 5, I believe). It is by the same guys that made Tang Garden and Spirits of the Forest.

Anyway, if you subscribe to their newsletter prior to the Kickstarter going live you will get a limited edition metal score tracker and rules to use it as a small expansion if you back the game. The game is an updated version of Web of Power.

Just a heads up. Here's the link. I am not affiliated with them at all. Just trying to help out as it sucks when you find out about these things afterwards.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Man,i have spent quite a few money in my collection,I buy yearly a few games,but I've reached a point where me and my friends don't have much time to coordinate into playing,plus some games are never played due to playtime or weight.

Some of my favourite ones are Mage Knight,Chaos in the Old World,Cyclades,Kemet...love the fantasy/mythical setting in boardgames

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how you guys feel about Talisman (beer and pretzels game for me) but this just happened:

pic4597016.jpg

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/86966/talisman-kingdom-hearts-coming-usaopoly-2019

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
War of the Ring 2nd Edition is back in stock on Amazon. For the reasonable price of $100 (and not the crazy inflated price of last month).

I'm gonna bite and ask a question about Into the Dead. Let's talk about this idea of "porting" a game from digital to physical.

First of all, there's the notion that a board game could recreate the complexity of certain game mechanics, that a computer game calculates on the fly (IMO, it can't)

But earlier today I got a thought about environmental impact of board game production, after playing CO2 last night. There's a lot of paper, wood, and plastic getting produced for stuff that is becoming more and more disposable. Despite that, games don't really tout recyclable material much at all (either by using recycled material, or asking consumers to recycle when done).

So then at the junction of these two problems is this game just presented to us, Into the Dead. It was a digital game (presumably with no factory production involved), and now it's been "ported" to a format where it's maybe not quite the same as the original version, but uses a ton of paper and plastic.

Can you tell us about the production process of the game, and whether you considered the environmental cost of taking a digital game to a big pile of stuff on a table as in that photo? I'm not asking to be preachy about it, I just think the idea of "digital to cardboard" uniquely highlights the issue of overproduction in board games.

Wow, good post, and while I'm not a developer or board game designer, I want to chip in my 2 cents.

I absolutely agree there's an environmental impact when producing anything physical in general (board games included). In my own life, I try to minimize waste where possible and question if its possible to whether things could be down a certain way to reduce the impact on the environment.

Regarding board games though, I think by and large, with most games I have played, most of the bits and pieces have been necessary to the game design that the game designer has wanted to achieve. I don't usually think that games would be better simplified, and use fewer bits in turn making a better game. If the game needs the bits, then they should be produced, the type of material used should definitely be taken into consideration so that its biodegradable. On a separate matter, if people are buying the game and letting it sit on the shelf, well that's kind of a 'waste' unless you're a collector or that sort of thing. That's probably much worse than a designer designing a ton of bits in their game. If the game is played and enjoyed with so many bits I think that's a good thing. Especially when board games are physical and the same feeling is difficult to recreate digitally.

Personally I don't think designers should really be held back by the 'environmental impact' of a board game unless there's a stupidly ridiculous amount of bits, a game's pieces should be designed based on how it should play out.

Also don't want this to get to 'whataboutism' but this world has far far bigger waste problems than board games, off the top of my head, those photos of the rentabikes from China that just get dumped are insane.

Oct 27, 2017
War of the Ring 2nd Edition is back in stock on Amazon. For the reasonable price of $100 (and not the crazy inflated price of last month).

I haven't checked this thread in ages and just popped in here to see what's new and before I even registered what happened, this is now arriving on Friday for $85.

I'm never coming in here again.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fancy version of Chutes and Ladders
It also takes a ton of space, takes FOREVER, sometimes you just skip your turns because of bad luck while someone else takes a long time, and if someone is about to win they can be crapped on Munchkin-style to drag out the game far longer.

The most common thing I've seen people say in its favor is that they have nostalgic memories from when they had lots of free time as teenagers or college students and nothing much better to play, so they spent a lot of time on it with their friends.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It also takes a ton of space, takes FOREVER, sometimes you just skip your turns because of bad luck while someone else takes a long time, and if someone is about to win they can be crapped on Munchkin-style to drag out the game far longer.

The most common thing I've seen people say in its favor is that they have nostalgic memories from when they had lots of free time as teenagers or college students and nothing much better to play, so they spent a lot of time on it with their friends.
I don't think my kids and I ever finished a game of Talisman. When everyone finally got tired of it we just declared whoever got the farthest the winner.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I looked up Talisman because I also never heard of it and it sounds actually neat on paper. It having the Munchkin problem is a bit of a bummer but maybe it can be solved by house rules?
I always play Munchkin with house rules - or just Cthulhu and/or Apocalypse because it solves the main problem of that game.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I looked up Talisman because I also never heard of it and it sounds actually neat on paper. It having the Munchkin problem is a bit of a bummer but maybe it can be solved by house rules?
I always play Munchkin with house rules - or just Cthulhu and/or Apocalypse because it solves the main problem of that game.
It's a roll and move game with all the problems that Blizzard mention. It's an archaic game system and I am sure you could try to house rule it but I don't know why when you have other games you can play.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really considering consolidating my collection and going heavy into games that have a high cost, but I know I'll enjoy. Games like Shadows over Brimstone, Descent (3rd edition where are you?), e.t.c. It's just so hard to let go of some games.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to try to teach mahjong to some friends, I got a card deck with English names/indexes, but I've got no idea even which ruleset to use aggghhh

I want to teach them Riichi Mahjong but that one's hard due to all the riichi/furiten complexity, and I'm not sure where to get a good documentation of the hands and how to score them (I got a lauded mahjong scoring app so scoring might not be a problem).

Are there any recommended "rulebooks" or manuals for riichi mahjong hands?

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not nearly as bad as Munchkin, because you cannot always just directly mess with another player. Anyone and everyone in Munchkin can team up on one player, while in Talisman you either have to have a spell in range, or be in the same space.

I played a ton of Talisman with my family way back in Second edition. Still have my copy. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but for a roll and move it's still one of my favorites. I still play the digital version on Steam all the time.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's not nearly as bad as Munchkin, because you cannot always just directly mess with another player. Anyone and everyone in Munchkin can team up on one player, while in Talisman you either have to have a spell in range, or be in the same space.

I played a ton of Talisman with my family way back in Second edition. Still have my copy. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but for a roll and move it's still one of my favorites. I still play the digital version on Steam all the time.
The problem is the game itself is keeping you on a merry go round that never seem to end. I still have our copy and a lot of good memory but it would take a lot to get that back to the table. I am glad you still enjoy it, I read that expansion help fix a lot of the problems but we never got beyond the base game. Back then we didn't know there was such complicated board game and it was pretty amazing then when we first discovered Talisman.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the game itself is keeping you on a merry go round that never seem to end. I still have our copy and a lot of good memory but it would take a lot to get that back to the table. I am glad you still enjoy it, I read that expansion help fix a lot of the problems but we never got beyond the base game. Back then we didn't know there was such complicated board game and it was pretty amazing then when we first discovered Talisman.
Oh it definitely does have its issues, no doubt about that. I also agree that some of the expansions were serious bloat that just consumed table space. But yeah, it's definitely a game that takes a long time and can drag on.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any Gloomhaven enthusiasts here? Need some third party opinions.

I know the whole personal battle goal is one of the unique things about the game that leads to tension among the group, but last night we had a player straight up kill another player (Cragheart using the deal 1 damage to adjacent allies or enemies ability) so he could get a treasure chest, which was his personal goal. We wound up failing the scenario because of that and when I tried to point out that was griefing and crossing the line (it wasn't done to me but another player) he said that he was playing his character like he would've and that it was perfectly acceptable.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I would never play with that player again. What he did was against the spirit of the rules. And for a check mark? Fuck that guy. Doing stuff like that got me kicked out of D&D groups in college.