• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Any Gloomhaven enthusiasts here? Need some third party opinions.
Sure he didn't break any game rules, but that just seems like a totally dick move, especially for a co-operative game and considering he could also have just asked to get the chest. I've only played with one group, but we'll just say something along the lines of "I really want to go through that door" or "get that chest". Games should be fun, and that type of behavior doesn't elicit fun when it's a pure co-op.

Also don't forget that you can negate damage from a single source by losing a card from your hand, or two from your discard pile.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would never play with that player again. What he did was against the spirit of the rules. And for a check mark? Fuck that guy. Doing stuff like that got me kicked out of D&D groups in college.

Oh yeah, the kicker I forgot to mention is that he's trying to retire his character soon anyway. When I pointed this out he tried to fall back with well I could use any money or items to sell for money to help with that. Inside the chest? Blueprints to unlock something in the shop. lulz.

Sure he didn't break any game rules, but that just seems like a totally dick move, especially for a co-operative game and considering he could also have just asked to get the chest. I've only played with one group, but we'll just say something along the lines of "I really want to go through that door" or "get that chest". Games should be fun, and that type of behavior doesn't elicit fun when it's a pure co-op.

Also don't forget that you can negate damage from a single source by losing a card from your hand, or two from your discard pile.

Yeah, that's the other thing that really upset me about it. He went from "you're going to take that treasure chest, really?" to "okay well I'm going to make it so you can't get it." and killed our teammate. This was the end of a very poor scenario and we were all low on resources, I think the guy who died first was only going to have that one turn remaining to get the chest anyway. :|

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Killing another player in Gloomhaven would result in a ban for me. It absolutely is griefing. It's hilarious that all trouble didn't even earn him the checkmark since you lost the scenario.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I was gonna cut back on buying board games, but all that Wingspan praise made me cave. Just pre-ordered it. That theme is just way too up my alley to pass.
Well, made it two months into the year without buying anything, I'll just book that under victory :D

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna cut back on buying board games, but all that Wingspan praise made me cave. Just pre-ordered it. That theme is just way too up my alley to pass.
Well, made it two months into the year without buying anything, I'll just book that under victory :D

Where did you pre-order from? This is the first I heard of the game.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Any Gloomhaven enthusiasts here? Need some third party opinions.

I know the whole personal battle goal is one of the unique things about the game that leads to tension among the group, but last night we had a player straight up kill another player (Cragheart using the deal 1 damage to adjacent allies or enemies ability) so he could get a treasure chest, which was his personal goal. We wound up failing the scenario because of that and when I tried to point out that was griefing and crossing the line (it wasn't done to me but another player) he said that he was playing his character like he would've and that it was perfectly acceptable.
I would stop playing all games with this person, not just Gloomhaven.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Killing another player in Gloomhaven would result in a ban for me. It absolutely is griefing. It's hilarious that all trouble didn't even earn him the checkmark since you lost the scenario.
I would stop playing all games with this person, not just Gloomhaven.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's difficult since the player that committed the crime is a good friend of mine and what I find very atypical of his personal character, so I was really shocked when this happened last night. Just wanted to make sure I was the only one that thought this was offensive.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's difficult since the player that committed the crime is a good friend of mine and what I find very atypical of his personal character, so I was really shocked when this happened last night. Just wanted to make sure I was the only one that thought this was offensive.
Just set the record right. Griefing will not be tolerated from now on. Ruining another player's game (in a freaking coop game, of all things) is simply not acceptable.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open and follow this thread closer!

I just checked and it was on Prime. $55 bucks, get March 8th. Yay! My wife love birds so this will be a nice surprise for her.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
What are some good games for 3 players? In the past we've enjoyed games like dead of winter and betrayal at hill house, but only 3 of us can really play regularly and was looking for more recommendations of games that fit three people well.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What are some good games for 3 players? In the past we've enjoyed games like dead of winter and betrayal at hill house, but only 3 of us can really play regularly and was looking for more recommendations of games that fit three people well.

I believe Lagoon is designed only for 3 players.

I feel most games are pretty good at three. Azul, Century, and Reef would be good. Bloodborne is 3-5 and sometimes just 3 is nice cause less people to worry about and more blood echoes to go around. Tortuga 1667 plays 2-9, haven't played it three player but it was fun with 2.

I could go on but I don't think you will have much trouble finding a game for three players.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Tried the latest 7 Wonders expansion, Armada, yesterday. I liked how it adds not just more content, like previous expansions did, but a new layer to the whole game. It really makes you reframe all the vanilla cards and reconsider your strategies. Only downsides I noticed are the poor sinergy with the Cities expansion and how much physical space it takes on an already overstuffed board.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Backed the milleinum blades collusion and promos tier even though I don't own the base game yet. Money is tight but I don't want to hunt down store exclusive/promo nonsense later. I'll get the base game long before the ks fulfills anyway.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Will get Pandemic for my birthday, yay!
Always wanted to check that out. Is it a good 2 player game or are more people recommended?

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Oh God I can't wait. I only got into Root recently but it has absolutely taken over my brain in the few games I've got to play. I've been waiting for opportunities to play it more but moving house has gotten in the way. Looking forward to playing more this week, finally...

Oct 28, 2017

Oh God I can't wait. I only got into Root recently but it has absolutely taken over my brain in the few games I've got to play. I've been waiting for opportunities to play it more but moving house has gotten in the way. Looking forward to playing more this week, finally...

Insta-purchase for me. Root is my game of the year last year. I love that game so much and having more of it is perfect.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I can't decide if I should pick up Gloomhaven or 7th Continent. They are both games I missed on Kickstarter but I've been wanting to own for ages.

I can get Gloomhaven for around £125 new and 7th Continent for around £400 unopened including expansions.

Gloomhaven would be played with a group but a couple of them can be very flakey so could be difficult, 7th Continent would be played predominantly with my wife(she lived Time Stories) but I feel £400 is a lot of money.

Anyone played both and have any thoughts?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide if I should pick up Gloomhaven or 7th Continent. They are both games I missed on Kickstarter but I've been wanting to own for ages.

I can get Gloomhaven for around £125 new and 7th Continent for around £400 unopened including expansions.

Gloomhaven would be played with a group but a couple of them can be very flakey so could be difficult, 7th Continent would be played predominantly with my wife(she lived Time Stories) but I feel £400 is a lot of money.

7th continent is quite interesting, but overall you are really only looking at 50-75 hours of gameplay with it before you have to shelf it for a while because half of the game is learning the island layout which while encounters can change based on a deck the layout really doesn't.

plus the first curse takes like 12-16 hours to complete and will take multiple plays to figure out.

Gloomhaven on the other hand will give you like 150-200 hours of campaign to play through, is also very well put together and is well a quarter of the price at this point.

I like 7th continent but it's basically impossible for me to recommend buying due to price vs how much gameplay you will get.
Gloomhaven on the other hand is an easy recommendation as long as the idea of a dungeon crawl interests you.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
7th continent is quite interesting, but overall you are really only looking at 50-75 hours of gameplay with it before you have to shelf it for a while because half of the game is learning the island layout which while encounters can change based on a deck the layout really doesn't.

plus the first curse takes like 12-16 hours to complete and will take multiple plays to figure out.

Gloomhaven on the other hand will give you like 150-200 hours of campaign to play through, is also very well put together and is well a quarter of the price at this point.

I like 7th continent but it's basically impossible for me to recommend buying due to price vs how much gameplay you will get.
Gloomhaven on the other hand is an easy recommendation as long as the idea of a dungeon crawl interests you.

Thanks for the input. What you've posted is basically what's been going through my head for the last couple of days.

I love the idea of 7th Continent but it just seems so expensive now for what it is. I guess part of the appeal is that myself and my wife loved running through Time Stories but we've now finished all of the episodes so I've been looking for something similar.

Descent is one of my favourite games of all time and from what I've seen of Gloomhaven it just looks like a bigger and better version of that. The only concern I've got is that one of my players is pretty flakey and sometimes doesn't show for weeks and I'm not sure what impact that would have on the campaign.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
The only concern I've got is that one of my players is pretty flakey and sometimes doesn't show for weeks and I'm not sure what impact that would have on the campaign.
The game scales well at any player count and missing multiple sessions is not a big issue. As you unlock new characters, the player characters will be at different levels anyways, and to be a couple levels lower isn't a big issue. The biggest deciding factor will be if that flakey player would complain about the rest of you playing without them and feel like they're missing out. Honestly, the story is kinda throwaway, but it's the tactical gameplay that really holds the game together.

If you feel like the difference in levels is an issue, there's no reason you can't just bump that player up closer to the rest of you.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
The game scales well at any player count and missing multiple sessions is not a big issue. As you unlock new characters, the player characters will be at different levels anyways, and to be a couple levels lower isn't a big issue. The biggest deciding factor will be if that flakey player would complain about the rest of you playing without them and feel like they're missing out. Honestly, the story is kinda throwaway, but it's the tactical gameplay that really holds the game together.

If you feel like the difference in levels is an issue, there's no reason you can't just bump that player up closer to the rest of you.

That's good to know, if he moans his got no one to blame but himself so it might inspire him to turn up more.

I've ordered it, turning up on Friday. I'll play a couple of solo sessions before I introduce it to the group and go from there.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Dominion Hinterlands, Amazon AU had a sale for it. So far my pickups for 2019 are

* Bruxelles 1893
* Dominion Hinterlands
* Gloomhaven
* TM Hellas and Elysium
* The Gallerist

I don't know about you, but 400 pounds is A LOT for one board game, would it be possible to wait until a reprint before buying the game?

I don't know how Amazon UK works, but in Australia, we can get stuff sold by Amazon US through Amazon AU and if its over AUD$49 there's free shipping from Amazon Prime. Gloomhaven is approx $100 on Amazon US, so worth the one month's prime membership.

Also ask your wife to play Gloomhaven with you, you'll get through the game faster without having to organise a group everytime you want to play it.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Picked up Dominion Hinterlands, Amazon AU had a sale for it. So far my pickups for 2019 are

* Bruxelles 1893
* Dominion Hinterlands
* Gloomhaven
* TM Hellas and Elysium
* The Gallerist

I don't know about you, but 400 pounds is A LOT for one board game, would it be possible to wait until a reprint before buying the game?

I don't know how Amazon UK works, but in Australia, we can get stuff sold by Amazon US through Amazon AU and if its over AUD$49 there's free shipping from Amazon Prime. Gloomhaven is approx $100 on Amazon US, so worth the one month's prime membership.

Also ask your wife to play Gloomhaven with you, you'll get through the game faster without having to organise a group everytime you want to play it.

Yeah £400 is definitely a decent chunk of change but to be entirely honest I can afford it. From what I've heard it doesn't look like a reprint is going to happen so I'm guessing the price will either sit where it is or increase as time goes on. Sounds like the 2nd Kickstarter was it and I somehow missed it.

My wife will definitely try Gloomhaven but I'm pretty sure she won't enjoy it. She didn't like either Mage Knight or Descent, just not really her sort of games.

The group I play with meet up once a week it's just one player who can be a bit hit or miss so I'm not too worried about having people to play it with. Was just more worried it would throw the tempo or story of the game off if one party member keeps disappearing.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new Memoir '44 expansion looks good. Hopefully that's a sign that Days of Wonder will revive/reimagine more material this year, even if it's just announcements at Gen Con/Spiel.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah £400 is definitely a decent chunk of change but to be entirely honest I can afford it. From what I've heard it doesn't look like a reprint is going to happen so I'm guessing the price will either sit where it is or increase as time goes on. Sounds like the 2nd Kickstarter was it and I somehow missed it.

My wife will definitely try Gloomhaven but I'm pretty sure she won't enjoy it. She didn't like either Mage Knight or Descent, just not really her sort of games.

The group I play with meet up once a week it's just one player who can be a bit hit or miss so I'm not too worried about having people to play it with. Was just more worried it would throw the tempo or story of the game off if one party member keeps disappearing.

Cool I think Gloomhaven is pretty easy to drop in and out in terms of numbers of players, as long as the other players don't mind missing a scenario here or there. From all the reviews I've read and watched, people will have fun just playing the game. The story is pretty standard fantasy tropish stuff, which you can download the scenario book and have a look yourself.

The new Memoir '44 expansion looks good. Hopefully that's a sign that Days of Wonder will revive/reimagine more material this year, even if it's just announcements at Gen Con/Spiel.

Well I hope DOW reprint Memoir 44 again, as it doesn't really look like there's that many copies out there. They just reprinted Pirate's Cove which I'm excited about, had been waiting a couple of years for that one.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017

Where are you based?

I'm in on the 7th Continent kickstarter but looks like I'm on track to play it solo so far.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

so there won't be a reprint from what they have said, but there was also a screw up with some of the cards so most people are actually getting a replacement set of cards, so there will likely be sets of the old cards floating around just without the storage solution.

plus they had opened up orders again because of this, and the only people who got the screwed up cards were the ones that only ordered the base game or paid to ship in two waves. So there should be a decent shipment of a second wave of games coming later this year which likely will drop the price for a bit.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Finally super-close to getting a crokinole board. I need to settle on what I want between two different designs that I like, and then schedule an appointment to go see the boards. The board-makers I'm going to go with are only two hours away from me. I've been watching tournament-level crokinole matches at work for the past few days and have been getting hyped up, so I need to pick which design I want soon!

Haven't really popped into the thread in a while and haven't been able to play anything other than one tournament day of X-Wing since the beginning of the year. Recently I picked up Cockroach Poker, Azul. Disney Villainous, and the Vampire Encounters version of Nyctophobia. Backed the new Millennium Blades kickstarter and am also thinking about Tiny Epic Tactics, but I am worried that it might not be heavy enough for me. I want a replication of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tiny Epic Tactics looks like a super-light king of the hill game. Not bad for what people expect from the Tiny Epic line, I guess, but it makes me wish they would branch out into more games with larger scope. It feels like an idea that deserves to be a full-fledged large box game with a ton of content, and not a pocket-size filler game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

What little I've played of 7thContinent I didn't care for. Perhaps it is so dense and difficult for what seems like the sake of difficulty. Maybe I am playing it wrong but it doesn't seem possible to do much before you run out of stamina cards (it is your action deck of 35~ cards). I'm going to wait until I get the rest of the KS stuff to make dinal decision but it hasn't sat well with me so far.

Gloomhaven is a big beast. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and enjoying my time with it but I think it depends on the mission/scenario. All-in-all, I'd probably recommend Gloomhaven between the two.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
What little I've played of 7thContinent I didn't care for. Perhaps it is so dense and difficult for what seems like the sake of difficulty. Maybe I am playing it wrong but it doesn't seem possible to do much before you run out of stamina cards (it is your action deck of 35~ cards). I'm going to wait until I get the rest of the KS stuff to make dinal decision but it hasn't sat well with me so far.

Gloomhaven is a big beast. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and enjoying my time with it but I think it depends on the mission/scenario. All-in-all, I'd probably recommend Gloomhaven between the two.
I didn't care much for it either and regret backing the expansion. I only keeping it because of novelty reason and I like the artwork. If you want good co-op I would also recommend Gloomhaven if the theme is what you like. I have a lot of fun with it and can't wait to dive back in when the expansion ship.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I find gloomhaven an intimidating game to set up and play, though it's not such an impossible time sink when playing it.

My friend and I played a 9 hour sitting of 7th continent and really enjoyed it. You have to accept that your action deck is essentially a hunger meter and you CONSTANTLY need to be hunting for food and places to make a fire.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I went out yesterday looking for comic and gaming shops. Ive been wanting to play a war game. I found and purchased axis and allies 1914 and memoir 44 for $150. Im excited.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
After everyone's comments I ordered both Gloomhaven and 7th Continent.

Gloomhaven arrived this morning, that is one heavy box, 7th continent is set to arrive on Tuesday.

Looking forward to jumping into both. Will probably try 7th Continent first one night this week. Current plan is to run a solo session of Gloomhaven next Saturday.