• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you! Definitely putting Epic up on the list and Keyforge just sounds much easier since it's already a built deck.

Dice Throne looks fun - is it very similar to King of Tokyo? That's something we've already played quite a bit of in the past so not sure if it'll end up feeling redundant too quickly for us?
The only real similarity to King of Tokyo is that it has the roll-reroll "Yahtzee" mechanic of rolling your dice, keeping what you like, and having two more rerolls to get a result you want. But then you have cards that can allow you to change a die to a 6 automatically (every character's ultimate ability procs when you have rolled five sixes and is usually devastating) or add a +1 to any die roll, and then enemy instant cards can force a reroll and things like that. The dice rolls determine what of your attacks you can use, since each attack has differently requirements.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finally got a chance to try out the Resident Evil 2 Board Game. It's a really fun dungeon crawl that really captures the feeling of playing Resident Evil 2. My only complaints are that some of the components are too dark like the tiles and doors which ruins some of the emersion, and that if you're an all in pledger like me you have to reference 8 different books for the campaign to make sure you include the right enemies at the right times.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I cut down the inserts and now have two copies of NMBR9 stuffed in single box so I can play with 8 people. The four player limit was its one weakness!

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Wondering if anyone can offer up some suggestions about getting into either Magic: The Gathering or another similar style game. I'm just looking for something to play with my wife and/or a friend. Magic has always appealed to me and I've always wanted to play it, but the feeling used to be it's a total financial sink. But I've read a few things about duel decks or being able to still get into the game casually without dropping loads of cash.

So just wondering what my best options are. Grabbing a duel deck or a couple core sets? Or is there another game that I should look into?

Also to note, my wife and I did try Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn a couple years ago, for some reason that one just didn't click with me.
Maybe look into LCGs as they eliminate the randomness of booster packs and such.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks everyone who suggest card games

I ended up ordering two decks of Keyforge on Amazon since they were pretty cheap. Hoping to try it out this weekend. If we dig it, I'll grab a copy of the new starter set when it releases. If we don't, we'll try out Epic.

Thanks again!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Need to make a negative post sadly. "Board game elitism" is really bad... I once posted that my SO and myself played with a group of random people in a open board game place and had a terrible experience with some people.

And that happened again to me past week. Without further details - if you do not grasp the mechanics of a game in an instant when the board/cards are on the table you are already left out for the next round. "Maybe Mikado would be better"
Or if you propose a rather simple or maybe an old (to some) game then you are also pigeonholed in an instant. "Stick to videogames"
Yup, actual quotes - with jest said, but I kinda knew what that meant.

And there I thought I could find new game partners - seems like we need to stick to 2 player games.

This whole thing made me stop playing D&D once also, hopefully not board games...

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Need to make a negative post sadly. "Board game elitism" is really bad... I once posted that my SO and myself played with a group of random people in a open board game place and had a terrible experience with some people.

And that happened again to me past week. Without further details - if you do not grasp the mechanics of a game in an instant when the board/cards are on the table you are already left out for the next round. "Maybe Mikado would be better"
Or if you propose a rather simple or maybe an old (to some) game then you are also pigeonholed in an instant. "Stick to videogames"

And there I thought I could find new game partners - seems like we need to stick to 2 player games.

This whole thing made me stop playing D&D once also, hopefully not board games...

There is no excuse for the comment or rudeness. The hobby definitely has gatekeeping tendencies. I will say that many who go to a public place desire to because they can't get the complex games to the table with their family and friends. Suggesting lighter affair games can be hit or miss. Regardless, those people are trash.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017

Yikes. I've been eyeing a couple game nights on meetup near me, but have so far avoided them. I even know one person in each one from way back, but I just feel like I'm going to show up and regret spending time making the drive. :-\

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
There is no excuse for the comment or rudeness. The hobby definitely has gatekeeping tendencies. I will say that many who go to a public place desire to because they can't get the complex games to the table with their family and friends. Suggesting lighter affair games can be hit or miss. Regardless, those people are trash.
To be fair the quotes are a bit out of context and sound a bit harsher, but it was hurtful and disappointing nevertheless.

Yikes. I've been eyeing a couple game nights on meetup near me, but have so far avoided them. I even know one person in each one from way back, but I just feel like I'm going to show up and regret spending time making the drive. :-\
I don't wanna discourage you with my experiences by any means :-(
I had bad luck two times sadly - I guess next time I will bring some people I know myself.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I am sorry you have terrible experience. I luck out really and went to this small MeetUp at coffee shop and the guy that host it is the best. He will always offer up his seat for any newcomers, he makes sure to bring plenty of games for all type of players, he ask what everyone preference and find game that most will enjoy. I am not saying we don't have our share of some rude players or one that is there only to "win" but overall it's a great experience. It's one place my daughter ask to go back to play. I don't want you to think that everyone in board game are terrible there might be some bad one but that's normal in any group. I went to several conventions during the last few years and majority of random people I met were great and some we even exchange numbers in case I am in town again.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I think the heaviest board game I ever played was A Feast for Odin but it definitely didn't feel that way. I love it but damn, this pass weekend I finally had a chance to play Gaia Project! I've owned it for months but between working full time, full classes, and other social obligations, I haven't had the time for truly heavy games. It took about 3 1/2 hours to play through because my friend and I took our time and really spent time going over the rules at first then while playing. I loved it, I want to play it again, I want to learn this game and really figure it out.

In the end, I ended up with 161 points and my friend with 164. I feel like we probably messed up, misread a rule because there is no way we really earned that many points. I will have to try it again so I can get a better handle on them but this seems like it will be easy enough to bring back to the table, well just us two. I can't imagine how long it would be with 4 people. What does ERA have to say? Any tips or common mistakes for first time players?

Lg1pDlu.jpg
Another game I've been wanting to try out with 4 players is Heaven & Ale. I've had it for awhile but I have only ever played it with one other person. It's a great game, I love it and very easy to teach except scoring throws people off but holy hell, at 4 players, it really does let you see how much depth there is. Tile placement because even more important, money is more difficult to to manage I think but the balance becomes more important since I know there are another 2, 3, 4, or 5, rounds to go. It's not as heavy as Gaia Project but definitely something I'd show people who are nervous about jumping into really difficult games.

Just saw this over at /r/boardgames.

zm011_box_front_520px.png

It's Target exclusive unfortunately but if it's good, I'll be getting it. I LOVE Pandemic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people say it's easier to turn boardgamers into friends than friends into boardgamers. But I have zero interest in playing games with randoms who may or may not be be terrible people. So I only play with friends and family, even if it's just light/medium fare. I'm the one who buys/teaches anyhow, and I don't necessarily want to teach heavy games on a regular basis. I reserve heavier games for 2p with my SO, and even then exclusively in coop.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Some people say it's easier to turn boardgamers into friends than friends into boardgamers. But I have zero interest in playing games with randoms who may or may not be be terrible people.

As someone who took the leap in to the dark and went to a local meetup I found on BGG. I'm so glad I did.

The people I've met are now friends for life- they have helped me through some rather difficult circumstances and through them I've met my current GF. So for every horror story on reddit there is a story like mine. I'd say risk it- sure one or two people will be a dickhead but a vast majority will be folks like yourself just looking to play a game they enjoy.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Some people say it's easier to turn boardgamers into friends than friends into boardgamers. But I have zero interest in playing games with randoms who may or may not be be terrible people. So I only play with friends and family, even if it's just light/medium fare. I'm the one who buys/teaches anyhow, and I don't necessarily want to teach heavy games on a regular basis. I reserve heavier games for 2p with my SO, and even then exclusively in coop.

That's a shame. I made my own discord for locals in NYC who want to play board games just last week and already we've met up a few times now. One even plans on buying Gloomhaven.

Yeah, it might suck having to find the right people but, unlike video games, I feel board games attract people with at least some social skill/grace.

Never getting a chance to play A Feast for Odin, Twilight Imperium, or many other heavy games would be a bummer for me.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it might suck having to find the right people but, unlike video games, I feel board games attract people with at least some social skill/grace.
You'd think that, but the stuff I read going on at meetups and conventions suggests it's definitely not a universal thing, though I'm sure those are probably the very worst cases that might not occur that frequently. I'm just not particularly keen on socializing with strangers, but that's the introvert in me.

I'm content with my 2p heavier games library at the moment (medium-heavy more than pure heavy, really). So far, the heaviest games I've played are: Fields of Arle, Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, Dungeon Alliance. Yet to play: Mage Knight, Leaving Earth. Thinking about: CO2 2nd Chance, On Mars: Surviving Mars coop expansion (2020 KS).

With > 2p, we mostly play light or medium games. Heaviest I've managed is Concordia (which they all liked) and Orleans: Invasion (it being coop made it easier for everyone to get into the game). I think what I look for is elegance in rules/teaching, so other games I hope to introduce soon: El Grande, Power Grid. I'd like to introduce Race for the Galaxy and Glass Road at some point, but so far those have been 2p-only affairs, since they have some atypical mechanisms which might be harder to grasp. I tried Spirit Island twice 4p with different groups of friends, but it seems to have been a bit overwhelming for some of them each time.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
You'd think that, but the stuff I read going on at meetups and conventions suggests it's definitely not a universal thing, though I'm sure those are probably the very worst cases that might not occur that frequently. I'm just not particularly keen on socializing with strangers, but that's the introvert in me.

I'd go so far to say it's something you should get over- I'm an introvert and work in a very social environment (complex technical support for a large communications provider). Board game meet ups has helped me learn to expand my capacity for social environments for longer. So much so I've got UKGE in a week which is a 4 day gaming bender. :)

Also you need at least 3 players for some awesome games/genres like: 18XX, Kemet, Age of Steam and Rising Sun. ;)

Edit: PS: Spirit Island is terrible at 4 as it runs way too long.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I would totally invite some people (I already know) to my place to play some games, but sadly I don't have the room :(
I am either limited to work mates playing after/at work, or that one open space meetup where we had the bad experience.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Like anything else, people will post/talk the bad stuff before the good. Hell, make your own meet up to play with other couples.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who took the leap in to the dark and went to a local meetup I found on BGG. I'm so glad I did.

The people I've met are now friends for life- they have helped me through some rather difficult circumstances and through them I've met my current GF. So for every horror story on reddit there is a story like mine. I'd say risk it- sure one or two people will be a dickhead but a vast majority will be folks like yourself just looking to play a game they enjoy.
Shrug I should check on bgg and see if there's one in my area never thought to check there, I usually just try to find the nearest board game shop.... which is a hole in a wall a third a tank of gas in a shopping mall that mainly only does magic and Pokémon so that doesn't help me

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Where have you met up?

Good Games NYC in Astoria and my friend hosted at her placed in Bushwick. The Brooklyn Game Lab in Tribeca has free open board game nights on Wednesdays also but a few of us have been on Monday's for their Root night. Some of us are meeting this Thursday in Downtown Brooklyn at the Dekalb Market.

Love the Brooklyn Game Lab. They're even working on their own custom faction and people can try it out here or in the store on Mondays.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go so far to say it's something you should get over- I'm an introvert and work in a very social environment (complex technical support for a large communications provider). Board game meet ups has helped me learn to expand my capacity for social environments for longer. So much so I've got UKGE in a week which is a 4 day gaming bender. :)
it's not a question of shyness. I have to socialize and interact with strangers constantly because of work, all down to knowing all their intimate details. I am possibly some kind of misanthrope, and have little desire to make new friends.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Cool, I didn't know there was a group meeting there. It seemed like a Magic-only place. Is it a regular thing ?

It's not like a regular meet up. I just simply ask "who wants to play games on X day?" and make the calendar-bot set up an event with slots for the amount of people. You're welcome to join the server, I assume you're from NYC?

The shop itself has open play for $5 per person.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like a regular meet up. I just simply ask "who wants to play games on X day?" and make the calendar-bot set up an event with slots for the amount of people. You're welcome to join the server if you're in NYC.

The shop itself has open play for $5 per person.

That's very interesting. Can I get a link to the discord?

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
it's not a question of shyness. I have to socialize and interact with strangers constantly because of work, all down to knowing all their intimate details. I am possibly some kind of misanthrope, and have little desire to make new friends.

Can't do much about that unfortunately. :(

Shrug I should check on bgg and see if there's one in my area never thought to check there, I usually just try to find the nearest board game shop.... which is a hole in a wall a third a tank of gas in a shopping mall that mainly only does magic and Pokémon so that doesn't help me

My local gaming store didn't do much for board gaming until late last year. The group I joined met up at the local pub until we needed better lighting- in all honesty they still don't do that much to support the hobby either. I use them as a place to meet and buy sleeves at this point. Other local groups use social clubs and pubs to meet up as well. My point being turning up at a local store might not be your best bet. :)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Can't do much about that unfortunately. :(

My local gaming store didn't do much for board gaming until late last year. The group I joined met up at the local pub until we needed better lighting- in all honesty they still don't do that much to support the hobby either. I use them as a place to meet and buy sleeves at this point. Other local groups use social clubs and pubs to meet up as well. My point being turning up at a local store might not be your best bet. :)
I know that's why I said I was going to check out bgg to see if there's any meetups in my actual area. Although I've been lucky in the past with good sized gameshops with open game night

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been eyeing picking up Archipelago for some time, and it looked like it was back in print (thus cheaper then it has been in price), so I took the plunge along with the solo expansion.

Got a chance to play A Feast for Odin last Friday with a friend. He liked it, but it is a lot to wrap your head around, and towards the end we were both getting tired (it was 1am when we finished).

He wants to play it again, so that's a good sign.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone who suggest card games

I ended up ordering two decks of Keyforge on Amazon since they were pretty cheap. Hoping to try it out this weekend. If we dig it, I'll grab a copy of the new starter set when it releases. If we don't, we'll try out Epic.

Thanks again!
Nice, I hope you enjoy. Keyforge has just clicked with me and I am excited for the next set.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you. After my kids left for college and the army, I was left with no one to play with and went to several MeetUp and I am glad I did.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
The Brooklyn Game Lab in Tribeca has free open board game nights on Wednesdays also but a few of us have been on Monday's for their Root night. Some of us are meeting this Thursday in Downtown Brooklyn at the Dekalb Market.

Love the Brooklyn Game Lab. They're even working on their own custom faction and people can try it out here or in the store on Mondays.

So I guess Brooklyn Game Lab in Tribeca is more focused on adults? That's interesting.

I've applied to work at one of the Park Slope Brooklyn Game Labs. Seemed like something I'd like to do.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So I guess Brooklyn Game Lab in Tribeca is more focused on adults? That's interesting.

I've applied to work at one of the Park Slope Brooklyn Game Labs. Seemed like something I'd like to do.

They both work the same I believe. It's just they have meet ups scheduled through out the week focused on adults.

Monday - Root night
Tuesday - D&D nigjt
Wednesday - Keyforge night
Thursday - Open board gaming

I confused their Wednesday and Thursday night.

Here's the meet up group but you can simply just be a walk in.

Check out Today, After Work (Board Games)

http://meetu.ps/c/4k3l0/JszmZ/a

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

Haha... this is kinda true. Most people have their own lives and don't have time for board games.

When I first started, I wanted to get my friends to play and some of them liked it, but afterwards they wouldn't ask about it again, which I took as basically not interested.

Which is fine actually, I'm trying to get just one other person keen enough to play with me, my brother, and maybe i'll get my wife to play sometimes as well. That way i can just enjoy games casually when I feel like playing. But you should try a local meet up if you have the time to do so. Not having to explain the rules everytime is a pretty nice feeling.

It can't be any worse than my first time at a board games meet. It was about 10 maybe 12 years ago, and the place was a complete dive. This was in Australia and only a few FLGS like Mind Games and Milsims stocked euro games and they were always full RRP. Anyway, nobody wanted to talk or make a joke or anything, we played Goa and that was pretty fun mind you, but I didn't go back. Now we have quite a number of board game retailers, and we even have board game cafes, so the scene is pretty alive.

It's the mainstream effect. It happened with video games, and it'll probably happen with board games as it grows. Ignore those guys and find some better people to play with.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
General aesthetics aside, I didn't enjoy the dice as much as I thought I would and it just felt a little too slow paced for my liking I suppose. While we didn't play it a whole lot, it did seem some of the preconstructed decks were a little off balance. We haven't had the desire to go back to the game to try the drafting rules.

As far as Magic goes, I've been a fan of the artstyle and I like the idea of being able to build a deck from it's different color classes and the card combos that can emerge from that.

Hey I know you got Keyforge already, but what about A Game of Thrones LCG. If you get 3 core sets of that you can play 8 monofaction decks which will last quite a bit. Its $20 a set on Amazon now.

One thing about LCGs is the cost... but put in as much as its worth to you.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Some people say it's easier to turn boardgamers into friends than friends into boardgamers. But I have zero interest in playing games with randoms who may or may not be be terrible people.
I'm really happy with the board game group that I've created and I've definitely made friends from it. It was really tough to impossible to sell my friends on board games.

My only regret is that I'll never play heavier games (read: light to mid euros) since there are way too many of us.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My only struggle is the local game group at the portal has their open game night Thursdays, which seems to be a day that never works for me -.-

Oct 25, 2017
My bookcase is overflowing. I need a new one. I know the go to is IKEA but we'd rely like a double size bookcase . Anyone have any suggestions that don't break the bank?

304-E5-E8-F-E384-4841-886-E-9419-DCC14-DA8.jpg

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
My bookcase is overflowing. I need a new one. I know the go to is IKEA but we'd rely like a double size bookcase . Anyone have any suggestions that don't break the bank?

304-E5-E8-F-E384-4841-886-E-9419-DCC14-DA8.jpg

That looks really nice. I have seen suggestions for using a nice Hutch as well. I was once like you wanting to stray from a Kallax. But the Kallax offers incredible value for the price. It is sturdy, comes in many colors, and fits my enormous boxed games (Vital Lacerda and Splotter games) just so nicely.

60358337_10101849207446075_4264188791557718016_o.jpg

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
That looks really nice. I have seen suggestions for using a nice Hutch as well. I was once like you wanting to stray from a Kallax. But the Kallax offers incredible value for the price. It is sturdy, comes in many colors, and fits my enormous boxed games (Vital Lacerda and Splotter games) just so nicely.

Nice collection

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I like the look of it but I think I'd need a few. Plus wife wants just a regular bookcase ha. Mine is overflowing so she really likes the idea of a double one

8-F265-F13-1-BCD-4-E55-B25-E-532-A88-BA965-D.jpg

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Thanks! Since taking this pic, I sold Wingspan and Caverna, but picked up Antiquity and Indonesia (both from Splotter makers of Food Chain Magnate). I will never let my collection grow beyond this shelf. I curate how I like my games: very focused and tight sans the gateways :)

How was Wingspan? It's still highly sought after but you sold yours. I was considering it myself.

Oct 28, 2017
How was Wingspan? It's still highly sought after but you sold yours. I was considering it myself.
It's quite good but not worth the exorbitant price it is getting in the second hand market. If you can grab it for MSRP or less I'd say it's worth it.

As for the gameplay, it's a light engine builder where you have a total of four actions per turn. You are trying to complete your personal as well as public goals. It plays quickly, is easy to teach, and really easy on the eyes. It doesn't do much new but what it does is solid. I can see why it is so popular but the reaction from people are a bit out of control.