• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
I'll need to jump on the website stat when they update.
So started the first curse last night, the 2 guys in my group were undecided, they were definitely intrigued but found the mechanics a bit fuzzy. They like euros and prefer everything to be black & white, everything you need to know out there on the table.
I on the other hand loved it, seems like a 90s PC adventure. I think I'll finish the campaign with them (we'll die soon) then restart with another guy I know who'll love it.
But Yeah, their next game I'm all in!

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's part of their MAPP policy where retailers/partners are not allowed to lower their price below the $140 until 90 days after all KS backers have received their copy (thus the comment I made). And those days of getting those games at those prices are over, as EGG has capped the allowable discount retailers can offer. Go ahead and look at most OLGS. Most are out of stock, and will only be able to sell EGG games for marginal discounts going forward.

Edit: Found the Reddit post for receipts:

I know this is a few pages back, but I wanted to chip in with a few comments, since I went on a Vital Lacerda tear this year and bought The Gallerist, Lisboa Deluxe, Kanban, CO2 Second Chance and On Mars. And I'll probably get Vinhos Deluxe at some point. Disclaimer: I haven't actually had the chance to get any of them to the table yet but just wanted to share my take on the pricing.

Lacerda games are really expensive, especially the Eagle Gryphon Games versions, one reason I was happy to just buy Kanban by Stronghold games rather than wait for next year's Kanban Deluxe which I'm sure will be double the current price. I'm only speculating - but Vital has his heavy euro fans and they are a niche that will pay for heavy games. Thus they want to keep the prices high and not devalue their product, the main reason the MAPP policy is in place where there are too many retailers discounting product to drive sales and gain online market share. They're able to price them high, because there aren't enough heavy euro economic games on the market (most of Lacerda's games have a >4.00+ weight rating on BGG), and even if there were, I think Lacerda has branded himself well enough to price his games higher.

I did open Lisboa just to check and see if it was worth the AU$160 (US$110) i splurged on it. I gotta say, the components are great and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the production, but I'm just not sure If it's worth THAT much. It's 3x what I got Teotihuacan for, and it doesn't even have 1.5x worth of stuff, let alone 3x. Fact is, people are paying for the brand, the designer, the artist and the game design and not how much it costs to make. That's just going to be how a good many of EGG and Lacerda games are going to be going forward.

D79mBvvVUAADAu9.jpg:small

D79twYoVsAAc2mS.jpg:small

D79t72rVUAI6RR_.jpg:small

D79wNZlUYAAJ5QQ.jpg:small

D79weUvV4AAP-iY.jpg:small

D79xFZwUYAAVgVF.jpg:small

What EGG's ultimate goal with MAPP really is to drive more kickstarter sales. Especially when as publisher they get to call the shots on policies and that they can discount their product some 20-30% from MSRP on a kickstarter order but OLGS cannot. FLGS just won't sell enough copies especially when their MSRPs are so high. EGG can do as they like, but I'm not sure its a good deal for consumers. It's like when Nintendo or Apple fans argue that their products don't get devalued, when if you're using the product you're unlikely to sell it anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played some Mysterium yesterday and it was a success. We enjoyed the fun hectic discussion around the clues. Which got me thinking about other coop party games. Anyone want to comment on Codenames Duet with 4-6 players, and Just One?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Played some Mysterium yesterday and it was a success. We enjoyed the fun hectic discussion around the clues. Which got me thinking about other coop party games. Anyone want to comment on Codenames Duet with 4-6 players, and Just One?

Just One is incredible and I highly recommend, one of those games that it gets better the more players you have.

Nov 13, 2017
It's 3x what I got Teotihuacan for, and it doesn't even have 1.5x worth of stuff, let alone 3x. Fact is, people are paying for the brand, the designer, the artist and the game design and not how much it costs to make. That's just going to be how a good many of EGG and Lacerda games are going to be going forward.

I just wanted to comment on this.. yes designers need to get paid too, it all factors into the cost of a product + markup so the publisher makes some money too. Also the graphic designer needs to get paid. You're never just paying for production or even the total number of pieces. But even then the EGG production of the Lacerna games puts almost every other game to shame so you pay a premium because of that, everything is top notch, ultimately is up to people to decide if its worth it

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Betrayal at House on the Hill is KIND OF a co-op party game! :D

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to comment on this.. yes designers need to get paid too, it all factors into the cost of a product + markup so the publisher makes some money too. Also the graphic designer needs to get paid. You're never just paying for production or even the total number of pieces. But even then the EGG production of the Lacerna games puts almost every other game to shame so you pay a premium because of that, everything is top notch, ultimately is up to people to decide if its worth it

I agree the designer should get paid, how much we don't know, but I'm arguing whether there's other factors such as production, printing, logistics that are costing too much. I don't know how the costs are split up, but when looking and comparing games, there are many other good games out there with similarly excellent components like the Teotihuacan/Lisboa reference I made earlier, and in my opinion Lisboa is a really premium price. My point is whether it should really cost as much as it should, because people talk about the amazing components and while they're the best in the business doesn't mean they are that much better.

Or how about Terraforming Mars vs Scythe - my two favourite games, TM has horrible components (the cubes are chipped, and the player board is wafer thin), and Scythe has a box filled with excellent components. These two are just about the same price. Just $5 difference, but Scythe is the way better value in terms of components.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
So I ended up buying Star Wars Outer Rim a day ago after watching some more impressions and got to play a session today with some friends. Overall it was really good, the game seemed complicated at first but it was easy for us to get into the swing of it (Star Wars Rebellion was a lot harder to grasp) and have fun. The whole game lasted a little under 4 hours. My minor gripes about the game is the limited amount of planets and lack of cards for the market. While we didn't get to see every card in the decks, I have a feeling we'll see all of them by the second or third session for sure. However, these gripes are just minimal and will most likely be remediated by possible future expansions. My final thoughts is that the game is very thematic and worth it for any Star Wars fan that's interested in the smuggler/bounty hunter side of the galaxy.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Tried wingspan yesterday, it's alright. Plays quickly, feels satifying, isn't completely multiplayer solitaire (but close to). I just can't help but think this is the kind of game that will only start to shine once they bring more interesting effects into the mix otherwise it could get boring fast.
Also the strong crows on the first round is genuinly broken to the point we had a truly awful experience (well them, me i had won from the get go and did sub optimal moves because it didn't even matter).
Ultimately it's the kind of game i fail to understand the admiration for but is still good enough if you want a simple engine builder with good growth potential, the kind of game i'd recommend to wait and see how it turns out after more content.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started getting into board games, so far my favorites that I've picked up have been Dinosaur Island, Dead Men Tell No Tales, and Gloomhaven - which my sister and I share custody of. I have a huge list of stuff I want to try/buy, and next month I'll be going to Dice Tower Con and playing as much as I can haha.

Yesterday I came across a shop that has a shelf where customers can put their used games up for sale, and I found a copy of Dead of Winter which is on my buy list for $30. Looking at the new copy across the store it was a no brainier - $55 vs $30. Did I snag a solid deal here? I opened it up when I got home and it looks like it's never even been played, so even if it has, it was very well maintained.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I recently started getting into board games, so far my favorites that I've picked up have been Dinosaur Island, Dead Men Tell No Tales, and Gloomhaven - which my sister and I share custody of. I have a huge list of stuff I want to try/buy, and next month I'll be going to Dice Tower Con and playing as much as I can haha.

Yesterday I came across a shop that has a shelf where customers can put their used games up for sale, and I found a copy of Dead of Winter which is on my buy list for $30. Looking at the new copy across the store it was a no brainier - $55 vs $30. Did I snag a solid deal here? I opened it up when I got home and it looks like it's never even been played, so even if it has, it was very well maintained.

You'll find that a lot, people who buy a game, play it once, then sell it. You can get a lot of great deals on the bgg market if you are diligent. The worst part is the shipping.

Also keep an eye out for ding and dent from places like coolstuffinc. You'll often get games for half the price because their is a pretty minor dent in the box all things considered.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my gravity warfare yesterday. Played tonight. Very fun family game. Manual isn't great have a few scoring questions but overall very fun

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finally got all of legendary marvel sleeved with penny sleeves which still feel cheap. Still for games like it and thunderstone quest (next on the docket ugh) I really can't justify spending $100 up front just to sleeve most of the base stuff I own.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
After owning it forever, I have finally finally finally started Gloomhaven! Started Saturday afternoon at 1:30 pm. Finished at 6:00 pm.

qipqLcs_d.jpg

And holy shit, I can understand why people are so crazy about it. I love the combat mechanics. I love balancing hand limits, counting it is our energy/exhaustion, and so far it seems hard. Long resting and short resting are great mechanics. Attacks & spells are interesting and I really was getting into my Mindthief. We also had a Tinkerer, Spellweaved, and a Brute. One of the players basically learned everything he could and played the first scenario by himself a few times. It definitely made getting into it easier.

6owCLXW_d.jpg

Instead of Gloomhaven Helper we used something Gloomhaven Dungeon Master. Shame too, because I already paid for Helper. DM is great though! It looks wonderful, felt easier to learn, and just felt great to use. The guy controlling was VERY quick with it too which was even better.

I can't wait for our next session. We have committed to a monthly meet up for it with room for more and hope to complete at least two scenarios per session. Still, June 6 can't come soon enough. Also I'm so glad our table could hold everything. Decided against having the map on the table but other than that, everything fit! I was so worried it wouldn't. And thank goodness for the Y.A.S.S. I had punched everything out the night before and set up the first scenario.

All in all, we failed the first scenario the first time. Did it again with a better understanding and barely managed to beat it but it felt so damn good!

After eating, I decided to play some 7th Continent and show my friend. She mocked how much I spent but by the time we lost the game she was saying she's going to try and snag it during their store sale. I am loving this game and exploring is so much fun.

We did two games. One after Gloomhaven and another Sunday morning before I met up with some friends. Still doing the Crystals Song. First game we started with 009 and second we started with...123 (?) can't remember. I refuse to let this curse win!

More pictures but since they're spoilers, I covered them. Feel free to look. So far, 4 plays. If anyone is interested I still highly recommend it. I just want to keep playing.

AAa8d4n_d.jpg

b2HIrEF_d.jpg

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Chromie I thought you said a few pages back that you and your group already played through Gloomhaven

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Had our monthly board game and beer night. We tend to drink more than game, but we've been trying to commit to having one or two "heavier" games going. Three events ago, time we busted out Fallout, and those who played had a BLAST. This time, we put Zombicide (OG) onto the table. We played a basic scenario - get to the exit. And it was a TON of fun!

The scenario was pretty simple, so that helped. The game is really easy to learn...The noise token stuff we ignore, as we realized really quickly that you could pretty easily "guess" how the zombies would move. We also house rule the "shoot into groups" rule, which I realize is a pretty divisive rule, but it's more fun for us to play that way.

The only thing I wonder is if playing 10+ missions, as different as they are, start to feel very "same-y"?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Chromie I thought you said a few pages back that you and your group already played through Gloomhaven

Well i guess I should clarify. I had started playing a when it was first out. Had a car accident and never returned. I told my group go finish it. Only made it to my 9th or 10th scenario. I only say my group played though it because well they're my main board game group.

Since it was a bit serious I didn't want to prevent the group. It wasn't my copy that was opened so I was more than fine with it. This is my copy we played over the weekend.

Since that was a couple of years ago, I forgot the rules and just gave up on ever fully playing it. I have my Own discord server for NYC locals who wanna play games and well someone was asking so I took much my chance and now I have a group.

Still have my main group of friends to play with but this will be fun.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played less games at Origins this year than in previous years (because I was focused a bit more on table top RPGs), but still had a good time.

Only bought one game at the show itself, a Dexterity game I hadn't seen before called Dino Dunk. It's dinosaur basketball and seems to have room for more strategy than a lot of other dexterity things I'd played. All the pieces have special abilities and there are fun ways you can string combos together to do cool plays. I was super impressed by the demo I did, and I got it for 30, which seemed like a decent price for what was in the box.

Also got to play Quacks of Quedlinburg and ordered that when I got home. I totally see why that game won the awards it did.

My favorite thing we played was Vampire: The Masquerade - Blood Feud which is a "megagame in a box" where we played with around 20 other players split into six teams. There were 4 different stations to control, it was all real time, and there was some communication restrictions within the teams so you had to meet people working the other half of the game in the middle. Just lots of cool moments of my friend who was handling the map running over to me in the last moments of a round saying "you need to do ____! I think they're gonna betray us!" to try and get us out of a jam a team had tried to put us in. And a lot of fun stuff where it's just impossible for any one team member to know everything that is going on, so you have to trust your teammates will be handling their parts. And then it all going spectacularly wrong, for either your team or another team and having to adapt to that. The game is coming to Kickstarter soon, though I honestly can't imagine paying for it? I can hardly ever get 4 people together to play something, much less 20. Though maybe I could leverage the board game Meetups I'm in...

Just Progress

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a definitive place to sell used board games? I played through Journeys in Middle Earth and now trying to sell it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
My highlight from Origins, Obscura. If you love Mysterium, look for this one coming later this year. It's similar to Mysterium but with a traitor mechanic.

My disappointment, Dead Man's Cabal. This was hyped up a bit on various places and the components are neat, but the game was completely not fun. Everyone in our group were just bored at how dry the game felt, the only part that felt interesting was the circular skull board in the center.

What I wish I got to try, Die Hard. I'm curious on this game but they only had one copy of the game being demo'd at the show and it was always full or had ppl around it. The tiny minis the game had looked a bit disappointing, but like the art that I saw at least. Still not sure how good of a game it will be.

Origins continues to be one of my fave shows. Just very casual fun with lots of gaming to be had. Unlike most other big game shows, no huge lines of trying to get in a game, you mostly just casually wander around and play what you want so got to try so many new games.

Last edited:

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
My Origins saw a lot of gaming!

Dice Throne: The ever excellent dice dueling game. Played a 3 player king of the hill match with 2 newbies and they loved it. Played it later in the week as a 6 player 3v3 game with the health set a bit lower to speed it up and everyone loved it again. Multiple people seemed highly interested in acquiring their own copy afterward.

Batman GCC: Played this about 4 times with 3 to 4 players each time and different players to boot and couldn't find the fun. Have played it a total of 10 times now and the heroes have only one once and that was in a solo game I played myself. Frustrating for all parties involved. This one is up for sale as soon as I receive my replacement mini for a broken Batgirl. Wanted to love it but just left disappointed overall.

Street Masters: Love this game! Played a 3 player game and it turned out to be the last of the week. Just too much other gaming to get back around to it. This particular session we smashed Kemono and the Kingdom on Supply and Demand mostly due to the OP combo of Shadow and Ah Long from the redemption pack. The bosses as heroes are a little more powerful than the standard fighters but it didn't matter. We had a blast!

Shadowrun Sprawl Ops:. Started this one with a co-op game on the Toronto map. This one ran a bit long but we played it later in the week as a competitive game and it went much faster. Love the theme!

5-Minute Dungeon w/ Curses expansion: Another game that went over really well. I think this might have been the biggest hit with the most people just behind Dice Throne. Played this many times and defeated the Dungeon Master's Final Form!

Mountains of Madness:. Played with 5 twice in a row. We love this game. Silly but not too silly. You need to come up with clever ways to circumvent your madnesses or your party is sure to not return from the mountain!

Played a bunch of social deduction when we had too many people to play regular stuff:
Hail Hydra
Secret Hitler
Deception: Murder in HK
Goodcritters
Codenames
All good fun but glad we had a variety!

Nemesis:. Played this one twice with 4 each time. Played coop the first time and it was forever long. Maybe it was just the mix of objectives we got but having to complete everyone's objective was exhaustive. Enjoyed it much better as semi coop the second playthrough.

Marvel Strike Teams:. Played a 4 player game of this one and imo it's way better than Batman. Similar objective based experience, shorter playtime, easier to play, and small box for easy transport. :)

Guards of Atlantis:. Finally! Got this to the table with 9 players and it was glorious! Highlight of my week for sure!

Villainous:. Played with 5 and we thought it was an admirable asymmetrical card game. I played Jafar and felt his goal was tough but I suppose its all about the cards you find.

Thanos Rising:. My only new acquisition at the convention. Got to play it twice at 4 players. Narrow victory the first time and crushing defeat the second. Fun dice allocation coop.

Lords of Hellas:. My favorite dudes on a map game. We played this mostly as a learning game for 3 newbies and they thought it was awesome as they should.

Aeon's End:. Just helped my friend run through the tutorial as he purchased it and didn't know how to play. One the best coop deck builders if you aren't familiar with it.

Evolution: The Beginning:. We only played a couple turns around the table with this one before everyone had seen enough. The player that got it heard Evolution was a good game and all they had was this version but we thought maybe this was the children's edition because it seemed way too simple. Still willing to try that other version of this though.

It was a lot but it wasn't enough and over entirely too quickly! If you want to know more about any of these games just ask I can elaborate more about my time with them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
After owning it forever, I have finally finally finally started Gloomhaven! Started Saturday afternoon at 1:30 pm. Finished at 6:00 pm.

qipqLcs_d.jpg

And holy shit, I can understand why people are so crazy about it. I love the combat mechanics. I love balancing hand limits, counting it is our energy/exhaustion, and so far it seems hard. Long resting and short resting are great mechanics. Attacks & spells are interesting and I really was getting into my Mindthief. We also had a Tinkerer, Spellweaved, and a Brute. One of the players basically learned everything he could and played the first scenario by himself a few times. It definitely made getting into it easier.

6owCLXW_d.jpg

Instead of Gloomhaven Helper we used something Gloomhaven Dungeon Master. Shame too, because I already paid for Helper. DM is great though! It looks wonderful, felt easier to learn, and just felt great to use. The guy controlling was VERY quick with it too which was even better.

I can't wait for our next session. We have committed to a monthly meet up for it with room for more and hope to complete at least two scenarios per session. Still, June 6 can't come soon enough. Also I'm so glad our table could hold everything. Decided against having the map on the table but other than that, everything fit! I was so worried it wouldn't. And thank goodness for the Y.A.S.S. I had punched everything out the night before and set up the first scenario.

All in all, we failed the first scenario the first time. Did it again with a better understanding and barely managed to beat it but it felt so damn good!

Gloomhaven is so good! And it is hard, especially at the beginning. With level 1 characters that have so few HPs, are underequipped, and cannot do much damage output, the first four scenarios were brutal for me. I even had to lower the difficulty a bit to be able to beat them (scenario 2 was especially difficult, it required many retries).

But as soon as all characters got to level 2, everything was better. Probably because there's a better knowledge of the game mechanics that begin settling in, but also because you get access to more powerful powers (so it helps with the damage output problem), and more HPs. A tip I would also like to mention is not to neglect buying equipment when visiting the city of Gloomhaven. Equipment and items can make an incredibly huge difference (*ahem* Minor Stamina Potion *ahem*).

When looking at the ridiculously long list of things that Gloomhaven gets right, difficulty balance for new players at the very beginning is unfortunately not on it. I wish there was a better way to teach the game to new players in regard to difficulty a bit better, especially considering how hard the early scenarios are to complete. But nevertheless, once this part has been cleared, Gloomhaven definitely became one of the best board gaming experience I ever had.

And I tried to resist it for the longest time because I like the physicality of board games, but I also now use apps to help assist the game sessions. It helps cut the footprint of the game and speed up gameplay by a huge amount. It's just so much better. I heard Gloomhaven Dungeon Master is very good, but because I'm on iOS with an iPad I use Gloomhaven Helper for monsters/combat management, and GloomsteR for map, scenarios, and party management. I highly recommend GloomsteR, it is very good.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Gloomhaven is so good! And it is hard, especially at the beginning. With level 1 characters that have so few HPs, are underequipped, and cannot do much damage output, the first four scenarios were brutal for me. I even had to lower the difficulty a bit to be able to beat them (scenario 2 was especially difficult, it required many retries).

But as soon as all characters got to level 2, everything was better. Probably because there's a better knowledge of the game mechanics that begin settling in, but also because you get access to more powerful powers (so it helps with the damage output problem), and more HPs. A tip I would also like to mention is not to neglect buying equipment when visiting the city of Gloomhaven. Equipment and items can make an incredibly huge difference (*ahem* Minor Stamina Potion *ahem*).

When looking at the ridiculously long list of things that Gloomhaven gets right, difficulty balance for new players at the very beginning is unfortunately not on it. I wish there was a better way to teach the game to new players in regard to difficulty a bit better, especially considering how hard the early scenarios are to complete. But nevertheless, once this part has been cleared, Gloomhaven definitely became one of the best board gaming experience I ever had.

And I tried to resist it for the longest time because I like the physicality of board games, but I also now use apps to help assist the game sessions. It helps cut the footprint of the game and speed up gameplay by a huge amount. It's just so much better. I heard Gloomhaven Dungeon Master is very good, but because I'm on iOS with an iPad I use Gloomhaven Helper for monsters/combat management, and GloomsteR for map, scenarios, and party management. I highly recommend GloomsteR, it is very good.

Oh yeah, it was difficult but none of us are the type to give up and put the game away after a loss so that's fine. Unfortunately we're only going to meet monthly because of scheduling and the person who bought it can't really do more. We all agreed but I just want more.

I'll look into other apps but Dungeon Master was very good. We have a Mac to use so that's good enough. I bought Gloomhaven Help, wish I didn't, since I no longer have an iPad it's just on my phone. The UI is way too small for me. I'll check out GloomsteR. I like not having to keep tracking the monsters but the maps & scenarios seem fine...for now.

We still don't have a party name and I haven't named my mindthief. Working on that.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could I get an invite to the discord again? I accidently left it :/

Edit: never mind, seems to have reappeared again. Don't know what happened

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My Origins saw a lot of gaming!

Dice Throne: The ever excellent dice dueling game. Played a 3 player king of the hill match with 2 newbies and they loved it. Played it later in the week as a 6 player 3v3 game with the health set a bit lower to speed it up and everyone loved it again. Multiple people seemed highly interested in acquiring their own copy afterward.

Batman GCC: Played this about 4 times with 3 to 4 players each time and different players to boot and couldn't find the fun. Have played it a total of 10 times now and the heroes have only one once and that was in a solo game I played myself. Frustrating for all parties involved. This one is up for sale as soon as I receive my replacement mini for a broken Batgirl. Wanted to love it but just left disappointed overall.

Street Masters: Love this game! Played a 3 player game and it turned out to be the last of the week. Just too much other gaming to get back around to it. This particular session we smashed Kemono and the Kingdom on Supply and Demand mostly due to the OP combo of Shadow and Ah Long from the redemption pack. The bosses as heroes are a little more powerful than the standard fighters but it didn't matter. We had a blast!

Shadowrun Sprawl Ops:. Started this one with a co-op game on the Toronto map. This one ran a bit long but we played it later in the week as a competitive game and it went much faster. Love the theme!

5-Minute Dungeon w/ Curses expansion: Another game that went over really well. I think this might have been the biggest hit with the most people just behind Dice Throne. Played this many times and defeated the Dungeon Master's Final Form!

Mountains of Madness:. Played with 5 twice in a row. We love this game. Silly but not too silly. You need to come up with clever ways to circumvent your madnesses or your party is sure to not return from the mountain!

Played a bunch of social deduction when we had too many people to play regular stuff:
Hail Hydra
Secret Hitler
Deception: Murder in HK
Goodcritters
Codenames
All good fun but glad we had a variety!

Nemesis:. Played this one twice with 4 each time. Played coop the first time and it was forever long. Maybe it was just the mix of objectives we got but having to complete everyone's objective was exhaustive. Enjoyed it much better as semi coop the second playthrough.

Marvel Strike Teams:. Played a 4 player game of this one and imo it's way better than Batman. Similar objective based experience, shorter playtime, easier to play, and small box for easy transport. :)

Guards of Atlantis:. Finally! Got this to the table with 9 players and it was glorious! Highlight of my week for sure!

Villainous:. Played with 5 and we thought it was an admirable asymmetrical card game. I played Jafar and felt his goal was tough but I suppose its all about the cards you find.

Thanos Rising:. My only new acquisition at the convention. Got to play it twice at 4 players. Narrow victory the first time and crushing defeat the second. Fun dice allocation coop.

Lords of Hellas:. My favorite dudes on a map game. We played this mostly as a learning game for 3 newbies and they thought it was awesome as they should.

Aeon's End:. Just helped my friend run through the tutorial as he purchased it and didn't know how to play. One the best coop deck builders if you aren't familiar with it.

Evolution: The Beginning:. We only played a couple turns around the table with this one before everyone had seen enough. The player that got it heard Evolution was a good game and all they had was this version but we thought maybe this was the children's edition because it seemed way too simple. Still willing to try that other version of this though.

It was a lot but it wasn't enough and over entirely too quickly! If you want to know more about any of these games just ask I can elaborate more about my time with them.

You played a lot of stuff I enjoy or would like to try.

Dice throne: Discovered it last year and love it. I mostly play it two person with gf but would like to try teams.

Batman: the heroes losing seems a very common criticism. I saw some tips on bgg to try and help them out some, like extending the game an extra round over what the book says.

Street Masters: I'm pretty interested in this one but at the same time I'm done buying games with tons of minis that require a lot of space. I got Brook City by them instead.

5 minute dungeon: I got the Marvel version for around $8 and it was a hell of a deal. Really fun game, I just wish it would get an expansion.

Nemesis: I almost backed this. it came down to it or Lifeform and I went for the Alien experience over Aliens. I'd still like to try it sometime but hearing the full co-op mode takes longer is a bummer, that's mostly how I'd want to play.

Villainous: I really enjoy this one. The components are fantastic and they really nailed the theme of each villain in their play style. Not a fan of how they're handling expansions though.

Thanos Rising: One of the most played games of my group. Do you have any of the promos? I'm looking to import the Star Wars version later this year.

Aeon's End: I love co-op deck builders but I have so many already it's hard to justify getting this but it's another I'd like to try sometime.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
You played a lot of stuff I enjoy or would like to try.

Dice throne: Discovered it last year and love it. I mostly play it two person with gf but would like to try teams.

Batman: the heroes losing seems a very common criticism. I saw some tips on bgg to try and help them out some, like extending the game an extra round over what the book says.

Street Masters: I'm pretty interested in this one but at the same time I'm done buying games with tons of minis that require a lot of space. I got Brook City by them instead.

5 minute dungeon: I got the Marvel version for around $8 and it was a hell of a deal. Really fun game, I just wish it would get an expansion.

Nemesis: I almost backed this. it came down to it or Lifeform and I went for the Alien experience over Aliens. I'd still like to try it sometime but hearing the full co-op mode takes longer is a bummer, that's mostly how I'd want to play.

Villainous: I really enjoy this one. The components are fantastic and they really nailed the theme of each villain in their play style. Not a fan of how they're handling expansions though.

Thanos Rising: One of the most played games of my group. Do you have any of the promos? I'm looking to import the Star Wars version later this year.

Aeon's End: I love co-op deck builders but I have so many already it's hard to justify getting this but it's another I'd like to try sometime.

I asked USAopoly (well I guess they are the OP now) at their booth about Thanos Rising promos and was told although they didn't have any on hand to email their customer service to request them and I should be taken care of. Promptly did that but haven't heard anything back from them. Maybe they'll show up one day lol

Curious about how Lifeform plays as I too was back and forth between it and Nemesis. I don't regret Nemesis and I think the coop is probably fine with less players as far as length. I think it was a combination of player count, experience, and our objectives that dragged it out. I would be hesitant to try the coop with 4 or 5 in the future though. I think that count works best with its intended semi coop design anyway. I will say the coop is a good way to let new players learn the game without getting blindsided by a mechanic or strategy they could not forsee.

As for Batman we've tried several house rule modifications and I'm done tinkering with it. It shouldn't be up to us to fix the game. Wholly frustrated with the game. Will be happier when it's sold and with someone who will actually love it.

Aeon's End is really one of the best coop deck builders I've played. I haven't played them all granted but I'd pick it over Xenoshyft (length too long), Dragonfire/Crossfire (setup rules/super swingy difficulty), or Marvel Legendary (despite the theme which I love, didn't care for the villain "river" system). It cuts to the chase and pits you in a big boss battle right away. The static market and no shuffling of your deck really helps amp up the strategy and turns down the luck dial a good bit than other deck builders.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I asked USAopoly (well I guess they are the OP now) at their booth about Thanos Rising promos and was told although they didn't have any on hand to email their customer service to request them and I should be taken care of. Promptly did that but haven't heard anything back from them. Maybe they'll show up one day lol

Curious about how Lifeform plays as I too was back and forth between it and Nemesis. I don't regret Nemesis and I think the coop is probably fine with less players as far as length. I think it was a combination of player count, experience, and our objectives that dragged it out. I would be hesitant to try the coop with 4 or 5 in the future though. I think that count works best with its intended semi coop design anyway. I will say the coop is a good way to let new players learn the game without getting blindsided by a mechanic or strategy they could not forsee.

As for Batman we've tried several house rule modifications and I'm done tinkering with it. It shouldn't be up to us to fix the game. Wholly frustrated with the game. Will be happier when it's sold and with someone who will actually love it.

Aeon's End is really one of the best coop deck builders I've played. I haven't played them all granted but I'd pick it over Xenoshyft (length too long), Dragonfire/Crossfire (setup rules/super swingy difficulty), or Marvel Legendary (despite the theme which I love, didn't care for the villain "river" system). It cuts to the chase and pits you in a big boss battle right away. The static market and no shuffling of your deck really helps amp up the strategy and turns down the luck dial a good bit than other deck builders.

I don't blame you one bit on Batman. Your point about fixing the game is quite valid and honestly if I can't find an easy solution I could see selling it too.

You've persuaded me to look into Aeon's End a bit more. I'm going to be getting rid of a bunch of stuff soon so will have the space for yet another co-op deckbuilder. Is this basic or Legacy you're talking about?

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
I don't blame you one bit on Batman. Your point about fixing the game is quite valid and honestly if I can't find an easy solution I could see selling it too.

You've persuaded me to look into Aeon's End a bit more. I'm going to be getting rid of a bunch of stuff soon so will have the space for yet another co-op deckbuilder. Is this basic or Legacy you're talking about?

I've only played the base game of Aeon's End and the big box expansion War Eternal. I've added in just a couple small box expansions and am satisfied with that. Legacy games in general don't really interest me as I'm not prone to play the same game multiple times in a row with the same people. Even with a property I think I'd enjoy like Aeon's End Legacy or Clank Legacy I don't think I'd get enough out of it to justify it. I am much more interested in trying AE: New Age but I doubt I'd buy it as what I have is enough.

Another coop on the horizon I'm not going to be able to resist is Dice Throne Adventures next month on Kickstarter. I've not sat down and played Dice Throne and had a bad time. Everyone I've introduced to it digs it so it's a no brainer to get a coop version.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another coop on the horizon I'm not going to be able to resist is Dice Throne Adventures next month on Kickstarter. I've not sat down and played Dice Throne and had a bad time. Everyone I've introduced to it digs it so it's a no brainer to get a coop version.

Oh, shit! I did not know this was a thing. Well, I'm definitely backing that. I'd hope (and imagine) it wouldn't be very expensive.

On another note, did anyone watch the MGS stream tonight? I started to but wasn't really getting any info about the game so stopped.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I was at the CGE booth at Origins, they had a bunch of promos out, I realized after I got home I forgot to grab the Codenames pictures promo. Doh!
But I did get that excellent Adrenaline promo card pack that gives names to the alternative fire modes of each weapon, along with the regular codenames promo packs.

Guess I'll just have to wait till next year :p

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
So, I got my latestes update email for battle con unleashed and while I welcome the newest patch decisions, can anyone explain to me, how they aren't basically sending every game to everyone who even only had backed the unleashed box by now.
Like why the fuck did I bother to order fate (which I was missing) when every card in it will be replaced by the patch?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Anybody here is playing Mage Knight? I'm tempted by the new Ultimate Edition. Apparently it's really great as a solo game, which is why I'm interested in it. Some even say it's one of the best solo gaming experience out there.

The art seems generally a bit bland though. And the included painted miniatures look absolutely awful. I mean, look at that:

687474703a2f2f626f6172646f66706c6179696e672e636f6d2f776f726470726573732f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031322f30312f6d6167652e6a7067

Is she wearing in a thong? That's the kind of thing that usually can keep me very far away from a game. But everybody keeps insisting about how phenomenal this game is. I guess I could always replace the minis by whatever.

Any thoughts about the game?

pic4411189.jpg

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here is playing Mage Knight? I'm tempted by the new Ultimate Edition. Apparently it's really great as a solo game, which is why I'm interested in it. Some even say it's one of the best solo gaming experience out there.

The art seems generally a bit bland though. And the included painted miniatures look absolutely awful. I mean, look at that:

687474703a2f2f626f6172646f66706c6179696e672e636f6d2f776f726470726573732f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031322f30312f6d6167652e6a7067

Is she wearing in a thong? That's the kind of thing that usually can keep me very far away from a game. But everybody keeps insisting about how phenomenal this game is. I guess I could always replace the minis by whatever.

pic4411189.jpg

What other solo games do you have? I think a lot of interesting solo options have come around since this game first came out. You're not stuck with thonged minis!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

pic4411189.jpg

I love mage knight, it's just a beast of a game to play and requires a lot of time to learn and table space to play. It's fantastic solo and even better if you can find someone willing to put in the effort to learn with you.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
What other solo games do you have? I think a lot of interesting solo options have come around since this game first came out. You're not stuck with thonged minis!

Oh I have a few. For me to buy a game, it absolutely needs to have a deep, complete, and satisfying solo mode. It's just too difficult to find a regular group of persons to play with (especially at my age because of "life").

My favorites in no particular order are:

Gloomhaven
Eldritch Horror
Mansion of Madness 2nd Edition
Robinson Crusoe
A Feast for Odin

And I'm always looking for more interesting experiences. And the truth is nearly every time I talk about solo board gaming Mage Knight is inevitably mentioned.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

pic4411189.jpg

I own it...and never learned to play. I really should but it's been consistently voted the #1 solo game on BGG for years now.

I will say, Spirit Island, Arkham Horror, A Feast for Odin, and 7th Continent are my favorite games right now for solo. I can't wait to try Too Many Bones later this year.