• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I think Mage Knight was better when the idea of deck building being added to a game was more novel. Now it's a mechanic in many things. I think the board isn't great and the scenarios in the base game are kinda boring. The puzzle aspect of combat is the best part but you can definitely flip over an enemy and realize almost immediately that you're screwed.

Oct 28, 2017
Check out Rick Royal and see what you think about it.

Watching Ricky Royal's solo play through is what sold me on this as a solo game. I've played the game a few time multiplayer and I hate this game multiplayer. It is such a frustrating grind and takes forever to play. However, as a solo game, it is great. There is no downtime (obviously) but you can take the game at your own pace and not be worried about other players.

The mini quality is suspect for sure but that is par for the course with Wizkids' cheap ass.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Watching Ricky Royal's solo play through is what sold me on this as a solo game. I've played the game a few time multiplayer and I hate this game multiplayer. It is such a frustrating grind and takes forever to play. However, as a solo game, it is great. There is no downtime (obviously) but you can take the game at your own pace and not be worried about other players.

The mini quality is suspect for sure but that is par for the course with Wizkids' cheap ass.

I would never play more then 2 player, at that count I think down time is good to plan your next move.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Helionox is my current favorite solo game. It gives you a good amount of actions to take, constant pressure, and feeling of progressing and building up your character. Plus a sci-fi theme instead of the usual fantasy or horror. Also relatively quick to set up and play.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Helionox is my current favorite solo game. It gives you a good amount of actions to take, constant pressure, and feeling of progressing and building up your character. Plus a sci-fi theme instead of the usual fantasy or horror. Also relatively quick to set up and play.

I'm curious about that one. I want the original small box release, though. Big box solo games are less appealing.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I have the deluxe and yeah it's a huge box. I wouldn't call the deluxe additions essential, but they are nice. Most solo games I end up moving into smaller boxes anyway for portability sake.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Anybody here is playing Mage Knight? I'm tempted by the new Ultimate Edition. Apparently it's really great as a solo game, which is why I'm interested in it. Some even say it's one of the best solo gaming experience out there.

The art seems generally a bit bland though. And the included painted miniatures look absolutely awful. I mean, look at that:

687474703a2f2f626f6172646f66706c6179696e672e636f6d2f776f726470726573732f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031322f30312f6d6167652e6a7067

Is she wearing in a thong? That's the kind of thing that usually can keep me very far away from a game. But everybody keeps insisting about how phenomenal this game is. I guess I could always replace the minis by whatever.

Any thoughts about the game?

pic4411189.jpg

Wizkids miniatures and art are generally awful. The game is solid enough, but yea their components for MK were pretty poor all around. Their newer games I think have improved in component quality but their first several games were weak quality wise.

Oct 28, 2017
If you are looking for a good solo game, my current favorite is Nemo's War Second Edition. So good and that Ian O'Toole art is gorgeous. Just make sure to never play it multiplayer because it is possibly the most shoe-horned multiplayer I have ever seen. Essentially it is the solo game but the busy work is split up. Like one person draws the cards, another person rolls the dice, etc.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The sexualized art design is one thing, but have you seen that monstrosity of a face?

I know! The miniatures are puzzlingly bad. But the game honestly seems very good. Also, I looked online and the rest of the art (like on the cards) does look a bit bland, but doesn't seem as grossly sexualized. At least there's nothing forcing the use of the minis. I could just pretend they don't exist.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here played Battlestations (second edition)? For being a board gamer as long as - and the first edition arriving 15 years ago - I was surprised to just discover its existence recently.

The main conceit is that you control your characters on a ship with descent like movement/combat, while also having a macro view of the ship and space on a seperate board. It's called battlestations because you have to make it to different battlestations on the ship to do things like fire cannons, charge shields, teleport to another ship, etc. The "advanced rulebook" is 300 pages and has an absurd amount of scenarios and customization options. It makes it seem more like it's less a 1 vs all than a GM running fun missions.

The art and design definitely seem a bit old school and lean into being more flexible than tight, yet it also doesn't seem that complicated. I imagine the lack of a shiny polish that gamers expect these days is what is putting people off. They're currently running a kickstarter for Battlestations: Dirtside, a true cooperative version of the game, and my initial response was not great due to the kitschy presentation. However, I have to admit that after doing my research it's grown on me. It seems like a passion project that really needs the KS funds as opposed to a preorder system that many companies now use it for. The creator's enthusiasm really is infectious.

I'd love to hear impressions from anyone who has played the game! Even searching podcasts and forums, reviews and impressions are incredibly light (less than 800 ppl on BGG own the newest edition.)

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Detective: City of Angels arrived today. It's one I never paid much attention to after the KS ended, especially when the updates started providing a lot of info right when my game group fell apart. I primarily bought it to play with that group. I'm gonna learn it over the weekend and maybe play the solo mode to get a feel for it and then try to intoroduce classic mode playing as the Chisel on Tuesday night at the game store.

I got to try Betrayal Legacy this past Tuesday and really liked it. It was kind of just regular old Betrayal for the most part but I liked seeing the stickers showing how many people have died on specific tiles and seeing what artifacts other players created in past games. And I had a prettt good game too. The haunt started really quickly before too many tiles were revealed. I chose to drink a serum that could have cured me but also could have turned me into the traitor, became the traitor, and immediately one-shotted someone on the next turn with maxed-out stats. Took a few turns more to finish off the second investigator that I needed to kill, but I eventually won as a traitor.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I know! The miniatures are puzzlingly bad. But the game honestly seems very good. Also, I looked online and the rest of the art (like on the cards) does look a bit bland, but doesn't seem as grossly sexualized. At least there's nothing forcing the use of the minis. I could just pretend they don't exist.

if you are bother by the art that much then get Star Trek version. It is mostly the same game but dumb down a lot of stuffs especially the confusing blocking, shield and combat). I definitely prefer Mage Knight over the re-theme Star Trek version. The miniatures and artwork are all from WizKids era of Clix figures so take them for what they are. They have improve in recent years but they definitely are not FFG.

I think Mage Knight was better when the idea of deck building being added to a game was more novel. Now it's a mechanic in many things. I think the board isn't great and the scenarios in the base game are kinda boring. The puzzle aspect of combat is the best part but you can definitely flip over an enemy and realize almost immediately that you're screwed.
This is true for just about most of the games. There are other games that implement "deckbuilding" but I have yet to find one that as good as Mage Knight. Yes it can be dense and some of the combat really could use streamlining but when it hits all the notes, there is no other game like it. As for boring scenarios, yes it might be somewhat limited for solo but someone on BGG put up a really good scenario "books" that provide many interesting variations and all have option for solo play. I tried Aeon's End and Dragonfire but they just don't give the same satisfaction.

I think the best part about the game really is when you flip over an enemies and go oh shit and then after agonizing (for half an hour) over what available to you and able to defeat it is probably one of the best moment in solo gaming. There are some lucks (like what mana you get or what card flops) but mostly it's puzzle that let you solve with what you got. You know what type of enemies lurk in the tower so either you are prepare or you are not. (The game listed all the tokens in the back, there is no secret random enemies) The first few times I played I felt the same "oh shit, this is unfair" but after many games under my belt I learn to get an idea of where to go so i can power up and when to raze the monastery for that extra stuffs. Like I said, this is my desert island game, if I only allow to take one box.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
if you are bother by the art that much then get Star Trek version. It is mostly the same game but dumb down a lot of stuffs especially the confusing blocking, shield and combat). I definitely prefer Mage Knight over the re-theme Star Trek version. The miniatures and artwork are all from WizKids era of Clix figures so take them for what they are. They have improve in recent years but they definitely are not FFG.

This is true for just about most of the games. There are other games that implement "deckbuilding" but I have yet to find one that as good as Mage Knight. Yes it can be dense and some of the combat really could use streamlining but when it hits all the notes, there is no other game like it. As for boring scenarios, yes it might be somewhat limited for solo but someone on BGG put up a really good scenario "books" that provide many interesting variations and all have option for solo play. I tried Aeon's End and Dragonfire but they just don't give the same satisfaction.

I think the best part about the game really is when you flip over an enemies and go oh shit and then after agonizing (for half an hour) over what available to you and able to defeat it is probably one of the best moment in solo gaming. There are some lucks (like what mana you get or what card flops) but mostly it's puzzle that let you solve with what you got. You know what type of enemies lurk in the tower so either you are prepare or you are not. (The game listed all the tokens in the back, there is no secret random enemies) The first few times I played I felt the same "oh shit, this is unfair" but after many games under my belt I learn to get an idea of where to go so i can power up and when to raze the monastery for that extra stuffs. Like I said, this is my desert island game, if I only allow to take one box.

You know what, that's exactly this kind of passion so many people are sharing towards Mage Knight that got me interested in the game. I think I'll get the new Ultimate Edition. Despite the art, the theme appeals to me much more than the Star Trek reimplementation. Again, there's nothing forcing me to use the included minis. I could replace them with whatever I want.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Since I have hopes it may turn out to play well, I've backed Altar Quest. It'll complement Descent as purely cooperative game and scratch my mini itch. Even if the artwork and minis don't compare to the Cmon games or something like Joan of Arc.

Have backed Altar Quest also. Hoping it turns out to be fun and will play. My worry is it becomes same same and an hoping the campaign is good and binds it all together. Fingers crossed.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Have backed Altar Quest also. Hoping it turns out to be fun and will play. My worry is it becomes same same and an hoping the campaign is good and binds it all together. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed indeed and here's hoping it'll be a fun Dungeon Crawler! The Sadler brothers, who are developing it, seem very enthusiastic and responsive to community feedback. Also their previous game - Brook City and Street Masters of which I hadn't heard before stumbling over Altar Quest - were seemingly very well received. That gives me hope! I'd hate for the game to end up a "Massive Darkness" scenario. After only playing it at a friends once, I was left utterly impressed by the minis, but just as unwilling to ever play a second round.

The Altar Quest KS is coming along nicely, too. With all the environmental tokens, it'll definitely have a great dungeon flair. And the last enemy species they've hidden in the streth goals also looks pretty cool, although they haven't shown any sculpts, yet.

In the meantime, I've managed to complete more of my Descent minis.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Got to play a full game of Archipelago today, as well as Planet, The Castles of Burgundy, and Forbidden Sky.

Not sure how I feel about Archipelago yet (I did enjoy the game, though). The others were a lot of fun.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fingers crossed it'll be a fun Dungeon Crawler! The Sadler brothers who are developing it very enthusiastic and responsive to community feedback. Also their previous game - Brook City and Street Masters of which I hadn't heard before stumbling over Altar Quest - were seemingly very well received. That gives me hope! I'd hate for the game to end up a "Massive Darkness" scenario. After only playing it at a friends once, I was left utterly impressed by the minis, but just as unwilling to ever play a second round.

The Altar Quest KS is coming along nicely, too. With all the environmental tokens, it'll definitely have a great dungeon flair. And the last enemy species they've hidden in the streth goals also looks pretty cool, although they haven't shown any sculpts, yet.

Great painting, that's top work. Must be fun to do. My painting days were years ago but am interested in starting again.

I did think about descent and also dungeon saga. My lads are into games but at still a little bit too young. However an thinking of a good Dungeon themed game with a good story and a bit of character involvement. Hence my worry that altar quest may be a bit focused on the mechanics.

Still fingers crossed and it's a great deal of you keep the pledge simple. There had been a ton of SG's and it's still going.

Also if you like painting the minis look fun

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fingers crossed it'll be a fun Dungeon Crawler! The Sadler brothers who are developing it very enthusiastic and responsive to community feedback. Also their previous game - Brook City and Street Masters of which I hadn't heard before stumbling over Altar Quest - were seemingly very well received. That gives me hope! I'd hate for the game to end up a "Massive Darkness" scenario. After only playing it at a friends once, I was left utterly impressed by the minis, but just as unwilling to ever play a second round.

Great painting, that's top work. Must be fun to do. My painting days were years ago but am interested in starting again.

I did think about descent and also dungeon saga. My lads are into games but at still a little bit too young. However an thinking of a good Dungeon themed game with a good story and a bit of character involvement. Hence my worry that altar quest may be a bit focused on the mechanics.

Still fingers crossed and it's a great deal of you keep the pledge simple. There had been a ton of SG's and it's still going.

Also if you like painting the minis look fun

Burny

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks! I also came from a ten year mini painting hiatus, after having decided that I was done with Warhammer (40k). Playing Descent with a group provided motivation to paint again. Boardgames with a mini focus are a much more manageable alternative. They're self contained and can occupy a group of people for some hours and also come with a variety of often great minis. Also, the mini groups to paint are more manageable and diverse than painting an army of a pure tabletop game. Which is why I'm backing Altar Quest, hoping that it fills that niche nicely as well. Still, painting time is and was always a limitation...

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Got to play a full game of Archipelago today, as well as Planet, The Castles of Burgundy, and Forbidden Sky.

Not sure how I feel about Archipelago yet (I did enjoy the game, though). The others were a lot of fun.

I've played archipelago a couple times recently, as a friend just got it, and feel the same.
It feels like there's just too much going on at once, especially the semi-coop elements that anticlimatically end the game if we don't keep tabs on them.
There's so many spinning plates that it's too hard to actually get a strategy going.

I'm up for playing it but wouldn't add it to my collection.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Fingers crossed indeed and here's hoping it'll be a fun Dungeon Crawler! The Sadler brothers, who are developing it, seem very enthusiastic and responsive to community feedback. Also their previous game - Brook City and Street Masters of which I hadn't heard before stumbling over Altar Quest - were seemingly very well received. That gives me hope! I'd hate for the game to end up a "Massive Darkness" scenario. After only playing it at a friends once, I was left utterly impressed by the minis, but just as unwilling to ever play a second round.

Well damn! That is some fantastic painting skills! I know nothing about painting, do you have anymore pics you'd mind sharing? Someday I'd like to try my hand at painting my minis since I have a few dungeon crawlers but the lack of skill makes me nervous.

I cancelled my pledge for Altar Quest myself, I wasn't really feeling it. I'm sure it will be fine but nothing has really grabbed me from the kickstarter. I like the idea of just one map but there are so many miniatures and I never actually like expansions being announced before a campaign finishes.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played archipelago a couple times recently, as a friend just got it, and feel the same.
It feels like there's just too much going on at once, especially the semi-coop elements that anticlimatically end the game if we don't keep tabs on them.
There's so many spinning plates that it's too hard to actually get a strategy going.

I'm up for playing it but wouldn't add it to my collection.

For me, I think you're right. It ends a little anticlimactic. We thought we lost to rebellion, turns out the game actually ended at the end of phase 6 the previous round because a game-end goal had been misinterpreted. So we finished and got to score points. Then we realized the game actually should have ended two rounds previous. That wouldn't have been enough time to do hardly anything.

I want to try the long game (we played a medium game), and see if that feels better.

I'm personally not put off by Archipelago's fiddly-ness. A Feast for Odin is probably my favorite game. It's just that Archipelago can end pretty abruptly, and you may feel like you didn't get to do much.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well damn! That is some fantastic painting skills! I know nothing about painting, do you have anymore pics you'd mind sharing? Someday I'd like to try my hand at painting my minis since I have a few dungeon crawlers but the lack of skill makes me nervous.

I cancelled my pledge for Altar Quest myself, I wasn't really feeling it. I'm sure it will be fine but nothing has really grabbed me from the kickstarter. I like the idea of just one map but there are so many miniatures and I never actually like expansions being announced before a campaign finishes.

Am really on the fence on this also.... It could be really good but I think I need a bit more reason for playing. The story is what I go for most as opposed to mechanics....

Will see. It's not too expensive as a base game and it might turn out to be great.

Have also got tainted grail and that story looks epic. Plus the play throughs I have watched look fun.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Am really on the fence on this also.... It could be really good but I think I need a bit more reason for playing. The story is what I go for most as opposed to mechanics....

Will see. It's not too expensive as a base game and it might turn out to be great.

109$ for the base game, another 35$ for the only story expansion and another 25$ for the - much less important tbf. - 4 hero addon. Thanks to the stretch goals, there are already 8 heroes in the base pledge. I don't know how the story will turn out, but I'm not expecting high literature by any means. More like a bit light high fantasy prose. But it will have a campaign and I can only imagine that it'll be much more fun to go through that if the game mechanics are well designed. It's the combination of cooperative, story driven dungeon crawler with - hopefully - great mechanics and great minis, that will make the game for me. I'm also very much looking forward to painting its minis and great environment tokens and how that'll enhance atmosphere.

The campaign ends in about 32 hours.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Looking into a beginner friendly cooperative fantasy themed dungeon crawler.

Currently eyeing the D&D adventure game Dungeons of the Mad Mage but I'd want the premium edition for the painted minis and it's a big price for a introductory game. Hmmm.

Also, considering Descent 2nd. Edition with its app for the coop. Not really looking for an all in so to speak so this is cheaper than the first option but no painted minis. Hmmm.

Beyond those I'm drawing a blank and I know there's a billion coop dungeon crawls out there. What are some good ones that newbies could pick up on and play in about an hour session?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Middara is off to a flying start. It is not for me. I won't have time to play a game like that but good for them.

I will check out Dwellings of Eldervale tomorrow though.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Looking into a beginner friendly cooperative fantasy themed dungeon crawler.

Currently eyeing the D&D adventure game Dungeons of the Mad Mage but I'd want the premium edition for the painted minis and it's a big price for a introductory game. Hmmm.

Also, considering Descent 2nd. Edition with its app for the coop. Not really looking for an all in so to speak so this is cheaper than the first option but no painted minis. Hmmm.

Beyond those I'm drawing a blank and I know there's a billion coop dungeon crawls out there. What are some good ones that newbies could pick up on and play in about an hour session?

If you like Star Wars, Imperial Assault is a lot of fun. I think the theme really helps new players get into the idea of a board game dungeon crawler also the theme itself is so damn strong. You feel like a Star Wars hero. I love it. There are multiple ways to play too. You have a campaign with 1-4 players against one other player, you go through missions that are randomly chosen too so it allows for replayability without having to do the same exact stuff over. There's also a full co-op mode which is 1-4 players with the Empire being controlled by an app. Then there's skirmish mode allowing for pvp combat, lots of fun.

It goes on sale pretty frequently and I linked the boardgame prices to you and at $70 I highly recommend it. As for painted minis, well most if not all games will be unpainted, it really is an expensive thing.

Off the top of my head here are the ones I can think of

• Star Wars: Imperial Assault
  • Descent
  • Zombicide
  • Zombicide: Black Plague
  • Gloomhaven
  • Mansions of Madness

Actually a TON more here for you to check out.

Last edited:

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, it's finally up for backing. Middara nearly at Too Many Bones level! Not going to do the all in tier this time since I don't care about extra poses of the same character, and stuff but I was expecting more for the base game and expansions so I'm definitely in at $275.

Middara: Unintentional Malum - The Complete Trilogy

Yep, I'm in for acts 2 + 3, and maybe an expansion. I've thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough so far of act 1 - up to Chapter 2 & itching to get it back to the table. It's a gorgeous game with tons of content + interesting combat. It's very "JRPG like" to me.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
If you like Star Wars, Imperial Assault is a lot of fun. I think the theme really helps new players get into the idea of a board game dungeon crawler also the theme itself is so damn strong. You feel like a Star Wars hero. I love it. There are multiple ways to play too. You have a campaign with 1-4 players against one other player, you go through missions that are randomly chosen too so it allows for replayability without having to do the same exact stuff over. There's also a full co-op mode which is 1-4 players with the Empire being controlled by an app. Then there's skirmish mode allowing for pvp combat, lots of fun.

It goes on sale pretty frequently and I linked the boardgame prices to you and at $70 I highly recommend it. As for painted minis, well most if not all games will be unpainted, it really is an expensive thing.

• Descent
  • Zombicide
  • Gloomhaven
  • Mansions of Madness

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll check into these!

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Yep, I'm in for acts 2 + 3, and maybe an expansion. I've thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough so far of act 1 - up to Chapter 2 & itching to get it back to the table. It's a gorgeous game with tons of content + interesting combat. It's very "JRPG like" to me.

I have about 12-15 hours played. My friend who owned the game moved and I haven't played since. Such a fun game. Now I can finally get it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll check into these!

One thing I will say, it was Star Wars that made comfortable with the idea of being a DM It made it click or whatever. That's what I love about dungeon crawlers, helped myself and a few friends get into tabletop RPG and D&D.

I also love Star Wars so I'm heavily biased.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
What's this Detective: City of Angels all about? I hear rave things about it but not a description? Has someone talked about that on here yet?

One thing I will say, it was Star Wars that made comfortable with the idea of being a DM It made it click or whatever. That's what I love about dungeon crawlers, helped myself and a few friends get into tabletop RPG and D&D.

I also love Star Wars so I'm heavily biased.

Free Star Wars app should be adding a cooperative "horde" mode soon.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK

• Descent
  • Zombicide
  • Gloomhaven
  • Mansions of Madness

That BBG thread is gold

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
L
109$ for the base game, another 35$ for the only story expansion and another 25$ for the - much less important tbf. - 4 hero addon. Thanks to the stretch goals, there are already 8 heroes in the base pledge. I don't know how the story will turn out, but I'm not expecting high literature by any means. More like a bit light high fantasy prose. But it will have a campaign and I can only imagine that it'll be much more fun to go through that if the game mechanics are well designed. It's the combination of cooperative, story driven dungeon crawler with - hopefully - great mechanics and great minis, that will make the game for me. I'm also very much looking forward to painting its minis and great environment tokens and how that'll enhance atmosphere.

The campaign ends in about 32 hours.

Yup. Am getting the base and probably Arkenspire. May also get the hero's... Will see.

But looking forward to getting this onto the table.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
The pace at which the Middara KS campaign is collecting funds is insane. Then again, it's a reprint of a proven and popular game with story addons to complete its story and pledge levels reach up to 500$...

In theory also a dungeon crawler I might enjoy, had I known about it, but it seems too focused on its anime story for me. I'm also unsure, if I can stomach that amount of "anime tiddies". I think the Altar Quest KS better fits my budget both monetary and in terms of time, as well as my preference for fantasy dungeon crawler astetic.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The pace at which the Middara KS campaign is collecting funds is insane. Then again, it's a reprint of a proven and popular game with story addons to complete its story and pledge levels reach up to 500$...

In theory also a dungeon crawler I might enjoy, had I known about it, but it seems too focused on its anime story for me. I'm also unsure, if I can stomach that amount of "anime tiddies". I think the Altar Quest KS better fits my budget both monetary and in terms of time, as well as my preference for fantasy dungeon crawler astetic.

The story focus has me interested, but not at nearly $500 for the whole thing rip

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Another month, another board game asking for hundreds of dollars 🤷

Do game prices have an overton window or something?

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Middara seems like one of those games people will loose their shit over when it's delivered, but ask them about it in 5 years and they will draw a blank.