• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've long been hoping for a new Warcraft board game and pics are coming from Blizzcon of a retheme for Small World. One one hand it's great timing as I've been eyeing that one pretty heavily, but on the other I was hoping for something with a bit more to it.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I freakin love wing span and it's something my family loves and can play without worrying about 80 pages of rules.
It's very very basic but...that's ok
The art and theme and components are so great so that really bumps it up for us

I honestly say it's a must buy
I picked it up but will sit on it for a bit before deciding to keep it. Thanks for your opinion. The theme and art look great. Also learned made by female artiest and designer which is rare and worth supporting.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Wingspan is a great hit in both my groups.
So hoping for some opinions on Wingspan. I have a copy on hold but am a little hesitant as I just got dinosaur island and my wife and I were really underwhelmed and I'm concerned that wingspan will seem really similar. Is Wingspan really as good as people say?
Is it super deep like, I don't know, something like food chain magnate? Noooo.
But it keeps a good balance of easy to learn and adjusting strategies on the fly.
There is a problem with end game egg spamming that appears to have been fixed with the first expansion, but I have yet to play that.
To be fair, I love birds, so I love wingspan for the art alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that looks great. The more I've read today it seems it might sit in the same space as Azul. Do you usually play heavier games? Our last twogames we've loved were Root and Horrified.

I like all types honestly . Play anything from light (ticket to ride, azul, horrified) to heavy (gloomhaven ,scythe. Etc) It all just depends on time ha

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I don't really get the Wingspan hype. It's a pretty fun game but completely unremarkable aside from the way it looks. Solid 6, for me.

pic381221.jpg

Tigris & Euphrates

I can understand parting with every other game on your list even if some are games I love (like FCM and Keyflower) but this is sacrilege... this is a game you just do not ever sell or part with unless it's a life or death matter. I demand explanations!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of boxes, the Roads & Boats 20 year Anniversary Edition box is one of the worst of all time. It's so bad. The logo has always been bad. This box, though... it's awkwardly tall and if you wanted any info on the game, sorry... the back is blank.

pic4861138.jpg

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of boxes, the Roads & Boats 20 year Anniversary Edition box is one of the worst of all time. It's so bad. The logo has always been bad. This box, though... it's awkwardly tall and if you wanted any info on the game, sorry... the back is blank.

pic4861138.jpg

I've always been very impressed by the sheer audacity of the overly naivistic art and indecipherable logo. I like it, in a weird way.

Have you gotten to play it? I've always wanted to try it out, but the anniversary edition is a bit too expensive for me to just pick it up on curiosity alone. Does it still hold up?

Last edited:

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Now that the second edition of Gizmos is finally out with the improved plastic dispenser I sprung for a copy. I played a three player game of it on Tuesday and I was as good as I was expecting. It definitely had the same feel as Splendor like I've seen many people say and the engine building was tight. I will echo one of the common complaints I've seen about the game ending just as things start ramping up but that could easily be fixed by adjusting how many cards need to be built for the win.

Western Legends showed up that same day. I've posted up a video tutorial and a link to the rules for anyone in my group who wants to familiarize themselves with it and then we'll probably play it next Tuesday.

I need to post a video for how to play Zombicide too because a couple asked if I could teach it to them using the store's demo copy. They asked for some recommendations two weeks ago for their sons and I said Zombicide might be good (because I misheard them when they said their ages; I found out this week that they are 7 and 10, and I thought they were older). So they want to try it soon to see if it's something they want to get for Christmas. I need to read the rules myself. There are some things I never played correctly because every person I've played with house-ruled them, like shooting into a zone with a survivor in it hits them on misses, rather than always hitting them. But there are some things like sewer tile spawns that the person I previously played with never mentioned he had house-ruled out, so I forgot about their existence. I need to make sure I get everything right.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I need to post a video for how to play Zombicide too because a couple asked if I could teach it to them using the store's demo copy. They asked for some recommendations two weeks ago for their sons and I said Zombicide might be good (because I misheard them when they said their ages; I found out this week that they are 7 and 10, and I thought they were older). So they want to try it soon to see if it's something they want to get for Christmas. I need to read the rules myself. There are some things I never played correctly because every person I've played with house-ruled them, like shooting into a zone with a survivor in it hits them on misses, rather than always hitting them. But there are some things like sewer tile spawns that the person I previously played with never mentioned he had house-ruled out, so I forgot about their existence. I need to make sure I get everything right.

You can't get much better than Rodney's videos from Watch It Played. This one's a bit older, and I've never played Zombicide, but I'm sure it's good and goes over most of the rules. It looks like he also has some videos that do a full playthrough, so that may be helpful for some of the edge case stuff he didn't cover in the rules video.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide between Clank! and Clank! In! Space!

Seems like alot of people say that CIS is the better of the two?

I bought clank, and then a friend bought my copy so I could get clank in space, and we probably play both about the same frequency (pretty often). If we play regular clank i'm not wishing we were playing clank in space, or vice versa. They're both solid.

Really, just picking the theme you like seems to be the right move.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played Arkham Horror: Final Hour last night.

I can see why its divisive. The Arkham games are all known for the narrative they tell, but this is a very different beast. It's more an abstract deduction/puzzle game that is themed Arkham Horror. It definitely doesn't carry the narrative other games in the line do. However, I had a whole lot of fun with it. It still carries the feeling of dread and always being on the brink of losing that you get from Arkham games. We lost, but it was pretty close. The "silent" nature in which you play your turn is one of the more thematically appropriate elements, seeing as the investigators are working together, but they're largely scattered as its pure chaos with them all trying to undo the ritual. So again, I understand why it would be a curveball for some coming from other games in the series. However, it's nice for me because I love the theme and welcome something different.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Played Arkham Horror: Final Hour last night.

I can see why its divisive. The Arkham games are all known for the narrative they tell, but this is a very different beast. It's more an abstract deduction/puzzle game that is themed Arkham Horror. It definitely doesn't carry the narrative other games in the line do. However, I had a whole lot of fun with it. It still carries the feeling of dread and always being on the brink of losing that you get from Arkham games. We lost, but it was pretty close. The "silent" nature in which you play your turn is one of the more thematically appropriate elements, seeing as the investigators are working together, but they're largely scattered as its pure chaos with them all trying to undo the ritual. So again, I understand why it would be a curveball for some coming from other games in the series. However, it's nice for me because I love the theme and welcome something different.

it also having an accurate playtime of an hour or even less is a big point in its favor too

(I have not played it but i've heard that many times about it)

I've heard mixed stuff in general but that has been a pretty interesting part of it to me.

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
I received my GeekUp Bit Set for Quacks of Quedlinburg today.

These new chips were kind of expensive, but they are so worth it!!! The colors are great, and they feel so much better than the cardboard chips that are included with the base game. I had some cardboard chips that were beginning to be heavily worn, especially the white ones. I'm not sure how many more games they could have lasted.

If you have Quacks of Quedlinburg in your collection I highly recommend upgrading with these!

I actually went the route of coin capsules, and they work really well. There's a bit of a trick to putting them together, as you open the capsule and take the smaller half and place the chip in so the rounded side of the cardboard is inserted (the flat back is exposed), then close the capsule with the larger half. It's a tight fit (snug), but they look great and feel great. I found a pic on BGG that shows what they look like, but I upgraded Quacks and Herb Witches with 400 21mm coin capsules I got in bulk from ebay for about $15. That said, the BGG ones you picked up look AMAZING if you have the budget.

pic4546047.jpg

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I actually went the route of coin capsules, and they work really well. There's a bit of a trick to putting them together, as you open the capsule and take the smaller half and place the chip in so the rounded side of the cardboard is inserted (the flat back is exposed), then close the capsule with the larger half. It's a tight fit (snug), but they look great and feel great. I found a pic on BGG that shows what they look like, but I upgraded Quacks and Herb Witches with 400 21mm coin capsules I got in bulk from ebay for about $15. That said, the BGG ones you picked up look AMAZING if you have the budget.

pic4546047.jpg

This coin capsules solution looks very good! And it works well when shuffling the capsules in the bag during play?

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
This coin capsules solution looks very good! And it works well when shuffling the capsules in the bag during play?

Yes, they stay together very well. I haven't had one coin capsule come apart in many games of playing. Just note that most places you order (eBay/Amazon), they are coming from China, so expect about 2-3 weeks to get to you, depending upon where you are.

As mentioned, you pull apart the capsule (there's a half moon crevice to get your fingernail in) and pop off the smaller bottom. Once you push in the Quacks piece, it fits nice and snug. Then you slide on the top of the coin capsule and both halves stay together very firmly (although you can take them apart again if you want).

Fits all pieces, including the Herb Witches locoweed pieces. The only 'loose' pieces are the bronze, silver and gold coins/medals which come with the expansion. They aren't bagged like the rest of the pieces, so putting them in capsules was kind of overkill.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
You can't get much better than Rodney's videos from Watch It Played. This one's a bit older, and I've never played Zombicide, but I'm sure it's good and goes over most of the rules. It looks like he also has some videos that do a full playthrough, so that may be helpful for some of the edge case stuff he didn't cover in the rules video.

I like Rodney's videos a lot and will probably watch it while at work Monday night before playing on Tuesday but his are a bit long for me to feel like I can recommend them already. I don't know yet if anyone will actually take me up on watching anything and I think some shorter more brief videos that only touch on the core ideas might be more enticing to some of these players this early. The Watch it Played video is what I'd recommend to this couple of they did wind up buying the game for their kids for Christmas so that way both of the parents could know the game inside and out but I'm looking for something more like Becca Scott's or Bebo's videos right now. Unfortunantly they never did any Zombicide videos, but I did find a guy who did a quick 8 minute vid where he goes through things like the structure of a full round of actions and the zombie spawns, so that should be good enough to get them familiar with some of the mechanics (if they watch it) and rules, at least where they'll know what constitutes a "zone" on the map and stuff like that. I'm not really looking for everyone to show up and already know all the rules but more for them to just remember a few things and feel like they know a little bit, I guess?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My Dark Souls Wave 3 arrived today.

I honestly forgot about this game. I sold it off a while ago, ha. Looks like I'll be making a quick $200!

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I am extremely proud of myself. I have just finalised my Trudvang Legends Early Bird Pledge, but overcame FOMO and only added the Plastic Rune tokens. I did not purchase any expansions regardless of their Kickstarter Exclusivity. It feels good!

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017

pic4861138.jpg
I wouldn't want all game boxes to look like this but I unironically love this cover and its silly donkey. It's just such a nice contrast to all of the other art out there. Also Splotter games aren't going to be an impulse buy anyways so not having any information isn't that big a deal. If my regular gaming group wasn't stuck on simple games I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Played "A Study in Emerald" tonight for the first time, first edition, and it was phenomenal. I managed to win by screwing over my fellow loyalist by taking his city to end the game. It was not explained to me how the lowest scoring player elimates their entire side, so I didn't understand just how risky it was, but man was it worth the look on his face when I flipped my identity card to reveal I was actually on his side the whole time lol.

Luckily the entire group loved it, so my buddy will be getting it to the table a lot. Another in our group has 2nd edition, but says it's not nearly as good.

It's not often I've heard a game get worse in its 2nd edition.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Played "A Study in Emerald" tonight for the first time, first edition, and it was phenomenal. I managed to win by screwing over my fellow loyalist by taking his city to end the game. It was not explained to me how the lowest scoring player elimates their entire side, so I didn't understand just how risky it was, but man was it worth the look on his face when I flipped my identity card to reveal I was actually on his side the whole time lol.

Luckily the entire group loved it, so my buddy will be getting it to the table a lot. Another in our group has 2nd edition, but says it's not nearly as good.

It's not often I've heard a game get worse in its 2nd edition.

I used to own 1E. It's a really strange, interesting and cool game. It's too bad I really dislike the Cthulhu theme overall, but it is quite a crazy box of game design.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

Rodney is my favourite board game personality. His table talk videos on the BGG youtube channel are great as well.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Can't decide between Clank! and Clank! In! Space!

Seems like alot of people say that CIS is the better of the two?

I have both and love both. original Clank! has the better art and theme in my opinion, but CIS added some mechanics in the form of factions that allow certain cards to combo with others. This fixed an issue I had with the original where it was possible to have only one or two useful cards to purchase at a time and those not getting around to you. Base Clank fixed this issue with every expansion since though, so you're good with either one.

Steenbock

Nov 1, 2017
If all the Street Masters stuff truly fits in the Aftershock big box then I'll be happy with all the stuff.
What I am not a fan of is having a bunch of separate boxes for one game and then busting them out for game night and polling the group on which ones we're going to include.
At least with Street Masters it's super easy to pick a stage, enemy, and then your fighters and go, no matter how much stuff you've got, setup is a breeze.

I was able to fit everything from all the expansions into the Aftershock big box, with room to spare. I didn't include the old Defense Tokens (I like the new, color coded ones better, and there seems to be plenty of them), and my cards haven't been sleeved, so your mileage may vary.

My only, very minor gripe is that the box isn't _quite_ square, so the lid and some of the inserts only fit in two specific orientations.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
forgot i ordered the TMNT stuff for Zombicide. just got them in the mail today lmao.
I forgot I ordered those as well. I don't own Zombicide though, at least none of the modern versions, only Invader. There are some custom ID cards on BGG I might print off for Invader, but I honestly bought them for TMNT Adventures: Cityfall.

I've just finished organising my Street Masters <All-In> Pledge. I did play a quick game using the recommended fighter, stage and boss for new players, before I opened everything. There's so much content here, it was overwhelming to be honest. I managed to condense everything, including the miniatures (in baggies according to faction) into the Aftershock box. I'm looking forward to playing a few games on the weekend with that done.

Nemesis <All-In> Single-Wave and Deep Madness: Faces of the Sphere with the Profundum storage box and plastic tokens are due tomorrow! I also picked up my Marvel Champions pre-order on Friday. I need to buy more sleeves before I play MC but I've signed up for a launch event this weekend, for the promo playmat and comic cover player cards.

The Oathsworn Kickstarter campaign is close to finishing, what are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm still circling a standee only pledge, however, the campaign didn't excite me.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
The Kickstarter Preview is live for Blacklist Games' next MDS Project, Hour of Need.

$35: 2-player stand-alone game
$65: 4-player core game
$109: 4-player core game and 2X 2-player stand-alone games (one of these is KS exclusive)

I'm in for the $109-tier, though most likely through a Group/Retail Pledge.

Last edited: