• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
You can play the original Arkham Horror board game solo too, but... I mean, let's face it lol. Playing board/card games by yourself is super depressing.

I feel you there. The main appeal for board/card games for me is definitely playing with friends, and in person. But there are times for sure where I just wanna play a game, and if no one else is around to play it why not just by yourself? I've played a lot of Race for the Galaxy solo.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Maybe to you, but I don't see any difference between playing a solo board game and playing a solo video game.
Board games are meant to be played with friends, laughing, having fun, maybe with some beers, and taking exorbitant amounts of time on any single campaign. They're all about social play. Many board games CAN be played solo obviously, but have you ever found a single board game that's focused on solo play? There's a reason for that lol. Even if there's an extremely obscure one out there...well, there's a reason why it's obscure as well.

Now, I've honestly tried Arkham Horror solo before. It was just too sad for me. For the 15 minutes I spent on it before boxing it up, it made me feel like I never had a single friend in my entire life lol.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
The thread's up!
And 'watched.'

Last night I got to reading the rules for Airborne Commander and think I'll dig it out of the garage to play tonight. I got it and the playmat at the beginning of the year because I wanted some solo games and loved the art, but haven't tried it yet. Right now there is a ten-card "SNAFU" expansion on Kickstarter for $10. I want to get it to add into the game, but what's the point if I'll never play it? So this weekend, I've made it my mission to get it onto the table.

Many board games CAN be played solo obviously, but have you ever found a single board game that's focused on solo play?
There are a ton of solo-only games out there. The DVG "Leader" line (Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, Hornet Leader, Phantom Leader, Gato Leader, IDF Leader, and more), the Airborne Commander game I mentioned in the post above, Friday, and more. A lot of them happen to be wargames. Then you've got games that can be played multiplayer but are focused on singleplayer like the "D-Day at..." line, Nemo's War, Onirim and other "Oni-verse" games, Warfighter, and more.

The "Solitaire Gamer" guilds and groups on BGG have a ton of members and their geeklists ranking Solitaire games get a lot of views and talk going on. Lots of people play games solo and enjoy it. People on BGG are always creating solo variants for all kinds of games, and more and more Kickstarters seem to be including solo rules or pledging to create some as a stretch goal. Like you, I don't get the appeal of it, but playing multiplayer games as a single-player is a huge deal. I wouldn't be surprised at all if more people play Mage Knight by their self than multiplayer. Things like Space Hulk: Death Angel (which I do like playing solo), Pandemic, Robinson Crusoe, the GMT COIN games and Labyrinth: War on Terror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign, Scythe, Pathfinder ACG, Legendary deckbuilding series, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and more are played solo by a TON of people.
Hell, there are people on BGG who play two-player head-to-head games solo, playing both sides like playing chess against yourself. I can't even figure out how that could be fun, but they do it.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You can play the original Arkham Horror board game solo too, but... I mean, let's face it lol. Playing board/card games by yourself is super depressing.

I wish I could play MP board games, but it's tough enough to organize once-a-month D&D nights with a hardworking group of married guys with new families.

I still like the physicality of cards and dice in my games, so I am interested in solo board gaming.

Board games are meant to be played with friends, laughing, having fun, maybe with some beers, and taking exorbitant amounts of time on any single campaign. They're all about social play. Many board games CAN be played solo obviously, but have you ever found a single board game that's focused on solo play? There's a reason for that lol. Even if there's an extremely obscure one out there...well, there's a reason why it's obscure as well.

Now, I've honestly tried Arkham Horror solo before. It was just too sad for me. For the 15 minutes I spent on it before boxing it up, it made me feel like I never had a single friend in my entire life lol.

I've only been interested in the medium for like a month and found a ton of popular solo games - Gloomhaven, Nemo's War, Hostage Negotiator, Robinson Crusoe etc.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally (almost) done with KS boardgames, the miniature onslaught that stands in for quality game engines and longetivity of play - I love theme but I'm almost longing for the second wave of pasted on themes on the mid 00s when trying to get mileage out of the KS fair.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
I wish I could play MP board games, but it's tough enough to organize once-a-month D&D nights with a hardworking group of married guys with new families.

I still like the physicality of cards and dice in my games, so I am interested in solo board gaming.

I've only been interested in the medium for like a month and found a ton of popular solo games - Gloomhaven, Nemo's War, Hostage Negotiator, Robinson Crusoe etc.
Again, they're all MP games. I'm talking about SOLO FOCUS games. Since the comparison to single-player video games was brought up, I inevitably have to ask that. Is there a genuine, single-player board game with little to no room for multiplayer? (Btw, Robinson Crusue is a damn awesome game!)

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Again, they're all MP games. I'm talking about SOLO FOCUS games. Since the comparison to single-player video games was brought up, I inevitably have to ask that. Is there a genuine, single-player board game with little to no room for multiplayer? (Btw, Robinson Crusue is a damn awesome game!)
Yes. I was editing my post above his for a few minutes but I listed several. Dan Verssen Games makes a lot of solo-only games that cannot be played with more than one person.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017

I believe Onirim and it's spin offs are all intended to be played solo. They do offer play for at least one other person, but that's probably because it's hard to sell a game for most as a solitaire experience. Which proves your point a bit, but they are out there.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are quite a few war games, fairly popular as well, that are solo only. I play board games for the social aspect but I recognize that there is room for the solitaire aspect... I mean most eurogames play like multiplayer solitaire with almost no interaction. Solitaire versions (of multiplayer games) while good in their own way often tend feeling like puzzles more than games, Agricola or Robinson Crusoe cases of point

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to milk the most out of my current games before I try something new.

We do have an unopened EXIT! game waiting to be played... Our friends have been really busy getting engaged and the like and we haven't had a chance to play recently, bit I'm excited to give it a try when we get the chance.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

OK, I'll argue this point because I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

As I mentioned correctly, Hostage Negotiator is 1 person only: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/134253/hostage-negotiator

Nemo's War & Death Angel count as 'solo focused' as well - BGG shows these are played best solo: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187617/nemos-war-second-edition & https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71721/space-hulk-death-angel-card-game

I'm not sure why you are so insistent on saying your preferred way of playing is the way every single game in the entire medium is 'meant' to be played.

I get that most games are ideally played multiplayer, and some of the most fun aspects of the medium are social but there's some real tactile fun to be had rolling dice solo. Blame the itch I got from Craps maybe.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017

I get where you're coming from but I wouldn't rush to that conclusion. Card games are meant to be played with others in general, and yet solitaire has stood the test of time.

Mage knight is game that is just as well played solo as with another. LotR the card game is also a huge game that most people play solo.

I used to be right there with you, but playing mage knight solo is a very satisfying and rewarding experience, and a great alternative to video games as you must think more critically to solve these complex puzzles. I'd compare it favorably to someone who likes to sit and do crosswords or sudoku on a Sunday morning.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The highest ranked solo only boardgame on BGG is Fridayby Friedman Friese, it's ranked 287th overall so well within the realm of mainstream/recognized games. Also note that Gloomhaven is getting a solo only expansion.

Here's the ranking of all solo only games on BGG.

Last edited:

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nemo's War is meant to be played solo, multiplayer was added to the second edition. It's great. Gloom of Kilforth is another that was designed for solo play but also incorporates co-op and competitive. It's on Kickstarter right now for a reprint. I enjoy sitting down with it when I want a light rpg experience chucking some dice and roaming the countryside, but my wife is still working and I don't want to stare at a TV.

There are all sorts of games for all sorts of people.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Still the GOAT in my house:

873e81cb9316fb01982c1b4f35a9bc61.jpg

Talisman. Fantastic game, even the kids love playing it.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
We love our biannual Talisman game!

You need to finish that map off with the bridge expansions.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
When I moved to Colorado, one of the first things I did was find a board game group. I'm enlightened now. Been slowly getting into some heavier board games like Freedom (my favorite) and another that is a more streamlined version of Arkham Horror. One of my friends just got Kingdom Death from the Kickstarter, and we'll be playing that once his guy at a comic shops assembles all those bloody pieces.

Ursus007

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lausanne, Swizterland

There are some solo only games, like long wargames and such. Personally I have never tried those, but I can say that Mage Knight is a great solo game and probably the best way to play it.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
A solid solo game is pretty important to me. 99% of the time I spend playing board games is by myself or with my SO, and when she doesn't feel like it, well... I'm on my own!

I do prefer playing with at least one other person, though. She tend to like playing Euros, I've noticed. We can get kind of sore at each other playing games that are directly competitive and she isn't keen on the idea of repeatedly losing at co-ops (especially where long campaigns are involved and you "lose" after investing many hours). She indulges me and usually has some kind of fun, anyway.

The biggest benefit is honestly having someone else around to keep tabs on rules I might be forgetting, which can happen especially if you're trying to play multiple characters in a game like Descent or Arkham.

I just really love that solo/two-player sweet spot. I bought a few 3+ player games early in my addiction that have gone virtually unplayed. :/

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a list of my favorite site to play free online adaptations of board games... and don't worry, they have the approval of the game creators/publishers

https://en.boardgamearena.com/ -- Multiple games
http://www.yucata.de/en -- Mutiple games
http://www.boiteajeux.net/ -- Multiple games
https://terra.snellman.net/ -- Terra Mystica
http://play.boardgamecore.net/ -- Food Chain Magnate
http://www.boardgaming-online.com/-- Through the Ages (2nd Ed.)
http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/ -- Brass

My username on all of these is also Taborcarn if anyone wants to start up a game.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Yes, the boardgame thread! My favorite place to lurk, bane of my wallet.

So , I'll be heading to Akihabara tomorrow to get me some Japanese boardgames, any recommendations? I already bought love letter (I like the original illustrations so much more), currently thinking about "A fake artist goes to New York" and that game where you roll snowballs at zombies, I forgot the name. Any other must haves or recommendations?

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Man, myself and friends got super into board games last year and early this year, built up quite the collection and enjoyed most every minute of it. Even got right into Netrunner and such. But we must have burnt out or something because these last few months we barely play at all.

It's a shame because I look at my shelf and can associate so many great group memories with each game, but it's hard to round everybody up and get enthusiasm levels back to where they were when we were all pretty much discovering modern board games at the same time.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Talisman through Steam. Probably would be better if I played it with other people and not the AI, wouldn't it?

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see so many people mention Arkham Horror: The Card Game as a game they really enjoyed. One of my recent favorites. One of the best implementations of narrative storytelling in a card game in my opinion. '

Also love me some Netrunner. I'm way behind on the expansions released, and don't have a game group to play with since I moved but I love that game so much.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Got my order in with the copy of Innovation Deluxe I've been waiting for.

Its glorious!.... except for that fucking insert. What sort of "deluxe" component is that? Weak.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
A solid solo game is pretty important to me. 99% of the time I spend playing board games is by myself or with my SO, and when she doesn't feel like it, well... I'm on my own!

I do prefer playing with at least one other person, though. She tend to like playing Euros, I've noticed. We can get kind of sore at each other playing games that are directly competitive and she isn't keen on the idea of repeatedly losing at co-ops (especially where long campaigns are involved and you "lose" after investing many hours). She indulges me and usually has some kind of fun, anyway.

The biggest benefit is honestly having someone else around to keep tabs on rules I might be forgetting, which can happen especially if you're trying to play multiple characters in a game like Descent or Arkham.
You should try Spirit Island, its a great Euro co-op. It is probably one of the best co-op game I pick up. It also plays well with just one or not un manageable two hands solo. Only thing is, it can be hard to find but reprints are coming soon.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, they have Dungeon Twister on there. I've never played my copy, but I'll give it a go sometime soon on this site.
whats this on ios? is it any good?
I haven't tried it but I've heard good things about it. It's Talisman: The Horus Heresy. Several expansions are out for purchase/download too. It's available on Steam and Android in addition to iOS. Just Talisman with a Warhammer 30K theme, not unlike Relic which is 40K Talisman.
I would rather a physical board game of Talisman: The Horus Heresy be made but that's unlikely, so a port of the game to Xbox would be sweet. There is a serious lack of 40K games on current-gen consoles, since Eternal Crusade is still on 'pause/'hiatus/cancelled and Space Hulk Deathwing is still nowhere to be seen.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
With the Dominion/non-competitive boardgame talk around here, I'm putting Aeon's End and its standalone expansion War Eternal as a recommendation. Kickstarter shipments recently reached backers and should already appear in stores.

1-4 players.
You face a boss deck similar to how Sentinels of the Multiverse is set up. Boss has its own set of cards, a HP pool, and its own set of unique gameplay mechanics.

Each full set of turns involves a total of 2 boss turns and 4 player turns (split among the available players as evenly as possible) - the twist here is that the turn order is randomised and adds a decent amount of variability to the flow of each gameplay session. I guess if you're really unlucky, you can get up to 4 boss turns back to back.

Players start of with a rudimentary amount of low level gems (currency cards) which can be used to acquire more powerful cards forming the public pool/market like Dominion. Each player class has its own unique starter card, an "ultimate" ability, 10 starting hit points and a breach configuration specific to that particular character.
Now, breaches. Spell cards (primarily damage dealing cards) in Aeon's End would require prepping and typically can only be activated on the start of the next turn. Breaches are the (one to four) sockets available on your character to prep these spells - and breaches themselves require currency investment to get permanently unlocked for the rest of the game.

Game has a solid pace to it where you never feel that there's a surplus of currency in your hand. Buying new cards, charging up your class ability or prepping your breaches all require investment from your hand of cards.

Only tried a couple of bosses so far (1 player, using 2 sets of character decks) but definitely something I'll keep bringing to the table.

---

On the horizon, I'm currently expecting shipments of Gloomhaven and Kingdom: Death Monster to come in. My local group has Pandemic Season 2 all stocked up and ready to go once we can find some time.

It's probably evident that I have a solo/co-op oriented preference, so I'm wondering if anyone here would find Too Many Bones (ongoing expansion kickstarter) and Spirit Island (upcoming reprint) to be worthy additions?

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
You should try Spirit Island, its a great Euro co-op. It is probably one of the best co-op game I pick up. It also plays well with just one or not un manageable two hands solo. Only thing is, it can be hard to find but reprints are coming soon.

I absolutely intend to once it gets reprinted. December, if I heard right. Might make a nice Christmas gift. :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably evident that I have a solo/co-op oriented preference, so I'm wondering if anyone here would find Too Many Bones (ongoing expansion kickstarter) and Spirit Island (upcoming reprint) to be worthy additions?
spirit island is hands down my GOTY so far, it's a great co op game. Requires a lot of planning/thinking though, though to me that is what makes it such a solid co op game, as given how much you have to think about/deal with it makes it very hard to have someone telling everyone what to do.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
What's the general consensus on the Dark Souls board game?

I'm not a big board game guy, but after playing Settlers of Catan with some friends, I'm kind of interested in other board games that are a bit more complicated.

I played one game so far so take all this with a grain of salt...

+ Not overly complicated (compared to eg. MageKnight)
+ Pretty good coop
+ Enemy AI is good and varied. Has real differentiation and is more complex than just "move to nearest and attack", which was a sore point for me with Shadows of Brimstone.
- Balancing for XP seems a bit weird, as does the enormous loot deck. Crunching the numbers for our game, we each needed to spend about 12 souls to be able to equip any of the weapons that we drew, and at 3 rooms with 4 souls per room that meant grinding was necessary.
- The boardgame leans heavily on dice, which to me doesn't fit with the very deterministic/skillbased nature of the videogame

All in all while I had fun and will play again I'm hesitant to recommend it as a "first game" when there are others out there that are better balanced.

If you are looking for a thematic game with combat, different character classes and coop then things I'd recommend over Dark Souls would be:
Arkham Horror Card Game
Eldritch Horror
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Gloomhaven
Mage Knight (this one is amazingly deep but a little bit thin on the thematic side, and coop can be a little lackluster without a particular expansion. It had PvP though)

Edit: Mage Knight makes a real solid solo game too, the best of the bunch in that regard.

Last edited:

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017

So , I'll be heading to Akihabara tomorrow to get me some Japanese boardgames, any recommendations? I already bought love letter (I like the original illustrations so much more), currently thinking about "A fake artist goes to New York" and that game where you roll snowballs at zombies, I forgot the name. Any other must haves or recommendations?

Not sure if it's been mentioned to you, but check out Birdie Fight. Fun, and brainy, little card game.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whoo, played my first game of Fury of Dracula today and won as Dracula. I really dig the game but playing as him can be a bit stressful. I feel like it's a more fun experience for the hunters but I did have some really satisfying moments, like the one where they realized I was likely about to win and they couldn't do anything.

I'm glad to see the OT here now, and looking forward to spending more time here than I have in the past.

countblanc

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Trying to milk the most out of my current games before I try something new.

Have you ever tried a 10x10? They work wonders for me (and my wallet). For those not privy, a 10x10 is where you make a 10x10 graph, with 10 games you want to play more of (old classics you want to revisit, newer games you don't want to forget about, etc.) and put them in each of the 10 rows. Then your goal is to play each of those 10 games 10 times within the time frame you set for yourself, putting the date you played it in one of the columns next to it. Depending on how often you get to game you might want to try 6 months or a year, because either way it's 100 rounds of whatever games you use.

You obviously don't need to castigate yourself if you fail to finish your grid in the allotted time but just seeing it there is a great motivator when deciding what to play. I recommend putting your chart together with your usual play group - odds are they'll be along for most of that journey so it makes sense to pick games you all want to play more of. I also recommend a mix of longer and shorter games, maybe even a solo game if you have one you want to play.

My 10x10 let me revisit Caylus after having it on the shelf for too long (still an amazing game), play more games of Archipelago, and finally burn through the 10 starting missions in Tragedy Looper. I highly recommend them!

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if the right thread, just wondering if anyone is laying the L5R LCG? I haven't been able to pick up a core set yet.
I'm trying to decide between it or getting back into net runner now that it has rotated and with a revised core.

I love the art of L5R but I'm really put off by the length a game can take and a lot of the phases seem quite clunky.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a great 2 player area influence game called Hanamikoji that we really like.

KJ869

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally (almost) done with KS boardgames, the miniature onslaught that stands in for quality game engines and longetivity of play - I love theme but I'm almost longing for the second wave of pasted on themes on the mid 00s when trying to get mileage out of the KS fair.
Thats why you dont back whitout published rules. You can easily see if the rules are bad

surr

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, my kind of thread! I hope to be a long participant in this community as I probably spend 80% of my time board gaming nowadays and 20% playing video games.

Not sure if the right thread, just wondering if anyone is laying the L5R LCG? I haven't been able to pick up a core set yet.
I'm trying to decide between it or getting back into net runner now that it has rotated and with a revised core.

I love the art of L5R but I'm really put off by the length a game can take and a lot of the phases seem quite clunky.

As an avid fan of Game of Thrones, I was too put off by how similar it was and also how convoluted the game seemed.

I think if you're looking for a new card game to get into Netrunner revised core or Star Wars Destiny might be better options. Netrunner is great and Destiny is super easy to get into and loads of fun.