• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Any opinions on Sekigahara? I know someone selling their games for cheap and they're selling Sekigahara for only $20. Seems too hard to pass up. Don't know when I'd play it though.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
FFG just announced a series of Arkham Files themed t-shirts in partnership with Hot Topic. Of particular note is this Arkham Horror: Rough Ocean t-shirt featuring Silas and what I assume to be Dagon in Innsmouth. Based on the fact that most of the t-shirts appear to use box art, I theorise this is the next Arkham Horror 3rd Edition expansion or potentially the next Arkham Horror: LCG cycle.

13270233_hi

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it look like a mouse pad glued to a shirt?

Cause it is effectively? :)

Been a some good (and a ton of poor) knock off Mythos/Miskatonic Uni/Arkham gear. Buddy has some elder sign branded pint glasses that are always nice to see. I like the lower key Miskatonic University shirts that try to make it look like generic UofSomething gear...

This is just art slapped on a shirt. At Hot Topic. I guess that is progress for the Mythos branding?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played any of the Call to Adventure expansions? Finally got around to the game last night through a friend, and I'm hooked. I just went through the Kingkiller Chronicle and saw the expansion for that, so any insight on what that does for the game would be welcome.

i haven't even bought the first expansion yet...

It's worth it, though I know some complain about some of the end round bird powers being OP if gained in the first round. There's pretty easy counters however imo if you're willing to delay a bit of your engine towards some token stealing birds.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy of Paris new Eden today

really hoping Atlantis Rising shows up next week, seems like it might not have been actually preordered for me

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I find it interesting three of us have said pretty much the same thing on this page. Not that it's indicative of a larger change in habits but I just wanted to point it out.

At this point I think the only bigger KS games that could still get my attention are Awakened Realms' stuff. I will definitely be checking out ISS Vanguard.

Me too. I've run out of space in my head for more rules, run out of money (or maybe they're getting more expensive?), and run out of storage space. I don't think the industry can really sustain 4000 games being released a year. Where's everyone going to put them all? I generally like all my old games so don't really want to sell them.

Just like with Memoir 44 and 1775, the Shut Up guys might have sold me on another war game. Undaunted looks really cool.

Thank you!

I'm familiar with the SUSD name but don't think I've ever watched their stuff but was curious about the comment about the dark turn the review took. Holy hell what a phenomenal review. To bring up the messier real world aspects of the subject matter and then, as he says, put his money where his mouth is and expand upon it in the way he does is incredibly impressive. It reminded me of how Waypoint/Vice tackle video game reviews, not just focusing on the various aspects of the product itself but a deeper dive on less thought of elements (colonialism in Monster Hunter, Killing baby zombies, etc.). I'm sure there's a better way to describe what I mean but I hope my point is clear. Do they do that type of thing often?

As an aside, the game itself seems pretty interesting but I don't think I'd ever get it to the table. My fiancée is my main two player partner now and she wouldn't like the subject matter at all.

I already said this in the Discord so apologies for repeating, but SUSD are great guys, but I thought they really over complicated the explanation of the game for Undaunted. I guess it was a combination of them trying to get across the strategy and emotion and the rules all together. Or I guess I prefer Dice Tower's simpler explanation of rules as its easier to follow. The last 6 minutes of the review is the best part, they did a great job with that segment.

Oh nice! Been interested in this game for a while, gonna watch the video and see if I bite now or wait for the Africa edition.

Edit: That was a great review that took a dark but quite necessary turn. Think I am gonna look into getting a copy, definetly of the North Africa edition later in the year.

I don't know how much it is in the US - but its pretty cheap from bookdepository - https://www.bookdepository.com/Unda...834706?ref=grid-view&qid=1579322068972&sr=1-1 its $35 now but ive seen it at $25 just the other day. For $25 its a steal - the quality of everything is fantastic. I know this is crazy, but the box is really thick and sturdy and the color manuals are gorgeous.

Also bookdepository (for Australians) sometimes does a 50% off (max $10) discount on shopback or cashrewards, so its effectively about AU$25.

Book depository says Undaunted: North Africa will be out June 11th, and I'll defeinitely be preordering it - this series is GREAT.

EDIT: Its $25 (or RM100 on my mobile), but $35 on desktop. I have no idea why - it could be some cookies thing.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Villainous is getting a 3rd expansion called Perfectly Wretched. It'll have Cruella de Vil, Mother Gothel, and the Steamboat Willie version of Pete.
Good choices. Interesting that we got a 3D animated inclusion already, but out of them Gothel probably is the best fitting as the only other villain in CGI animation that can offer enough to the game is King Candy/Turbo.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I've run out of space in my head for more rules, run out of money (or maybe they're getting more expensive?), and run out of storage space. I don't think the industry can really sustain 4000 games being released a year. Where's everyone going to put them all? I generally like all my old games so don't really want to sell them.
Same. I'm the one who buys and teaches everything in our group, and I've been leaning towards more elegant games now. When I first got into the hobby, I was gravitating towards heavier and heavier games (for which I would handle all the bookkeeping). I know the rules of most of the games I have, but the head space is getting quite crowded, I think.

I don't know how much it is in the US - but its pretty cheap from bookdepository - https://www.bookdepository.com/Unda...834706?ref=grid-view&qid=1579322068972&sr=1-1 its $35 now but ive seen it at $25 just the other day. For $25 its a steal - the quality of everything is fantastic. I know this is crazy, but the box is really thick and sturdy and the color manuals are gorgeous.

Also bookdepository (for Australians) sometimes does a 50% off (max $10) discount on shopback or cashrewards, so its effectively about AU$25.

Book depository says Undaunted: North Africa will be out June 11th, and I'll defeinitely be preordering it - this series is GREAT.

EDIT: Its $25 (or RM100 on my mobile), but $35 on desktop. I have no idea why - it could be some cookies thing.
Yeah bookdepository quotes you a price per session, it adjusts depending on "things"

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Most of our games (especially euros), we play so infrequently that every game is a learning game. Have to re-read the rulebook/watch a video, have absolutely no idea of strategies, and don't remember much about the game at all.

The games our group plays most often are campaign and legacy games, and we try to power through those fairly quickly, to move on to something else. The exception there is Gloomhaven, which we still have a ways to go in, even after 3 years or however long that's been out.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Same. I'm the one who buys and teaches everything in our group, and I've been leaning towards more elegant games now. When I first got into the hobby, I was gravitating towards heavier and heavier games (for which I would handle all the bookkeeping). I know the rules of most of the games I have, but the head space is getting quite crowded, I think.

I'm starting to lean more towards playing LCGs even though they're way more expensive, but I don't have to relearn the rules and there's always more content if i need. I just got Star Wars Destiny (after watching the whole Star Wars Saga through the holidays), alas they decided to ditch it. :/

Yeah bookdepository quotes you a price per session, it adjusts depending on "things"

So how does that work exactly? I'm now getting RM105 ($25) for Undaunted on both my mobile and desktop. I think that's a good price for it!

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo I don't want to get into the specifics of what happened, but I wish to have an invite to the Discord server if possible. Thanks in advance.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally broke out Everdell: Pearlbrook for a 3 player learning game.

I'm not sure what to think of it. It's not a bad expansion. There's quite a bit I like. Yet, out of what I'm seeing from Spirecrest and Bellefair, this expansion doesn't feels almost like a separate experience rather than something that flows well to expand upon the initial game.

The underwater trade cards being facedown felt like too much risk, while the high costs cut heavily into the main game with generally less than ideal returns. To be honest, you spend half the game prepping to play in that space if RNG isn't with you, while it cuts out parts of the base game.

I'll need to spend another session or two with it, but no one felt great about the new economy and how it got in the way of the main game than feeling like an extension of it.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
If TIME stories pulls this second season hustle mad respect.

An extra box if you want the inbetween stuff...

Mad respect.
I don't think it was ever as good as the hype surrounding the first couple of missions and the wide consensus seems to think that the scenarios go down in quality. This next Time Stories thing was a way to fix some of the more glaring mistakes, but the Dice Tower impressions from four different players seem to be pretty consistently negative.

I don't think it was ever as good as the hype surrounding the first couple of missions and the wide consensus seems to think that the scenarios go down in quality. This next Time Stories thing was a way to fix some of the more glaring mistakes, but the Dice Tower impressions from four different players seem to be pretty consistently negative.
Yeah that is it, they really don't have a lot of stock to do this. By the end it was flat.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have any experience with Cyclades at 2 players? I'm more interested in Kemet, but I don't think it plays two (and the new edition is coming out soon). I know Inis is considered kind of part of this line as well, but I've heard it's a little odd with 2 players.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Anybody have any experience with Cyclades at 2 players? I'm more interested in Kemet, but I don't think it plays two (and the new edition is coming out soon). I know Inis is considered kind of part of this line as well, but I've heard it's a little odd with 2 players.

None of those games work well at two. Most area control games are fairly poor at lower player counts, unless you start to move towards the wargaming space.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Hey all!

My gf and I are slowing getting into tabletop gaming. We played lots of tabletop games at Pax South this weekend and ended up buying the Gunslinger and Samurai Dice Throne box. We played the game together for 3 hours last night and loved it! She already wants to get all the characters. We'll slowly add to it over time.

Does anyone have any recommendations of us? Any games that are easy to play with just the two of us?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all!

My gf and I are slowing getting into tabletop gaming. We played lots of tabletop games at Pax South this weekend and ended up buying the Gunslinger and Samurai Dice Throne box. We played the game together for 3 hours last night and loved it! She already wants to get all the characters. We'll slowly add to it over time.

Does anyone have any recommendations of us? Any games that are easy to play with just the two of us?

There are many, many options (as I'm sure you saw a sample of at Pax), and it would really help to narrow down options by what kind of experiences you're interested in. Long games? Short and sweet? More strategy, or luck? Something where you're invested in a sort of metagame (like a two player card game), or something you have a mostly clean slate on every time?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
There are many, many options (as I'm sure you saw a sample of at Pax), and it would really help to narrow down options by what kind of experiences you're interested in. Long games? Short and sweet? More strategy, or luck? Something where you're invested in a sort of metagame (like a two player card game), or something you have a mostly clean slate on every time?

Probably on the shorter side. Maybe an hour or so? Luck or strategy doesn't matter either way. We're playing more to have fun than anything. Either one of the last two works as well. I wish I were more help lol We are really just starting to dabble in this so I'm not exactly sure how to state our tastes just yet.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Probably on the shorter side. Maybe an hour or so? Luck or strategy doesn't matter either way. We're playing more to have fun than anything. Either one of the last two works as well. I wish I were more help lol We are really just starting to dabble in this so I'm not exactly sure how to state our tastes just yet.

No problem! A lot of the fun for me is exploring different options, but it helps to know that there are lots of different 'genres' and games specialized to different experiences. And part of that's gonna be based on the number of players, the complexity and length of the game, to name a few features. So you've narrowed it a bit already.

I would recommend you check out Star Realms, Patchwork, Hive Pocket, Jaipur - some of my favorite light 2P games that are small but still have a lot to love and are very replayable.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to play my first round of 878 Vikings. Fun game systems and super interesting balancing. Looking forward to adding more stuff through the expansion.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
No problem! A lot of the fun for me is exploring different options, but it helps to know that there are lots of different 'genres' and games specialized to different experiences. And part of that's gonna be based on the number of players, the complexity and length of the game, to name a few features. So you've narrowed it a bit already.

I would recommend you check out Star Realms, Patchwork, Hive Pocket, Jaipur - some of my favorite light 2P games that are small but still have a lot to love and are very replayable.

Makes sense. I think right now we should start with things that are fairly simple and once we decide to get into them more and more, we'll get more complex. We also wouldn't mind trying some 2P cooperative games too. I think we would both enjoy that

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll sit down with her and look through those and see if we both like them.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
My fiancé and I enjoy both Targi and The Fox in the Forest as far as 2P games go.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

pic1534148.jpg
pic3283110.png

pic3718275.jpg
pic3617168.jpg

I think everyone should should play Pandemic. It's a fantastic game with expansions to add some great mechanics. It was my first real modern board game. It's fully co-op, has different roles to play, very quick to learn, set up and play through. Expansion allows for up to 5 players too. There's also a very popular legacy version where the more you play the more the game changes permanently.

Santorini is another great game but only for 2 players. It says up to 4 but really, it's meant for 2 players. You basically have to two things you have to do, move and then build one layer of a building. You control two meeples which you can use to set up for some really tight games. Then there are god powers which are optional I actually like the game without it but it can also really shake things up. It also has a wonderful presentation and art.

I think Azul is perfect. It's one of the only board games I can play with someone not into the hobby. I actually play this with my mother when I see her. It's an abstract game but so simple to learn but with a lot of depth but not so much it takes a huge boardgame enthusiast to really master.

And probably my favorite review from SUSD. Damn I miss Paul.

The Quest for El Dorado is a great and lighter game but a mix of racing, card drafting and some randomness. This is actually one of my personal favorites at 2 players because at 2 players you control multiple meeples and both of them must reach the end of map in order to win. Very easy to learn, teach, and enjoyable at all player counts but even more so at 2.

None of these games should take a very long time to play and maybe you can easily finish any of these games in 30-45 minutes once you've actually learned them.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I would add Onitama to the list of great two player games. If you want to get into something a little more complex for two Watergate is also quite good.

Dec 1, 2017
Kind of worried that I got hooked on KDM, since the released expansions don't appear to be re-releasing anytime soon. Seems like they are only released once or twice a year (GenCon and Black Friday). I really want to add onto the core game with the actual gameplay expansions, but am trying to resist paying the ultra premiums that people are asking for : (

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of worried that I got hooked on KDM, since the released expansions don't appear to be re-releasing anytime soon. Seems like they are only released once or twice a year (GenCon and Black Friday). I really want to add onto the core game with the actual gameplay expansions, but am trying to resist paying the ultra premiums that people are asking for : (
This is a dangerous path, I got hooked to the game and ended up backing the second kickstarter for ~1300$...

Dec 1, 2017
This is a dangerous path, I got hooked to the game and ended up backing the second kickstarter for ~1300$...

oh man... I'm a bit glad I didn't get into it until the past few months due to that fact, but I also feel like I missed out and may never get some of those expansions coming in Wave 3 and 4 if the current situation is anything to go by.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
oh man... I'm a bit glad I didn't get into it until the past few months due to that fact, but I also feel like I missed out and may never get some of those expansions coming in Wave 3 and 4 if the current situation is anything to go by.

I honestly don't think completionism is recommended regarding KDM. I have the base game, a few expansions and am still awaiting the gamblers chest and a few additional expansions from the second kickstarter, and that is absolutely enough for me. I already doubt I'll get even half that to the table.

Dec 1, 2017
I honestly don't think completionism is recommended regarding KDM. I have the base game, a few expansions and am still awaiting the gamblers chest and a few additional expansions from the second kickstarter, and that is absolutely enough for me. I already doubt I'll get even half that to the table.

I'm definitely not trying to be a completionist when it comes to KDM, I just want some of the current expansions like Gorm, Dragon King, Dung Beetle Knight and depending on some of the future ones, maybe the gameplay ones as well. I don't care about the gaudy pinup or echoes of death packs or expansions like Lion God.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Hoping I could get some advice with getting games who's Kickstarter has long since passed. I'm relatively new to the hobby and missed out on Tainted Grail. While exploring a variety of games over the last year, this looks like the type of thing I'd really connect with.

I can't even get a clear answer as to TG ever coming to retail. Does anyone have a site they'd recommend for getting this stuff? It become sort of fishy since not all the expansions are released yet. Any help would be awesome!

For instance - is this site at all stringent?

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hoping I could get some advice with getting games who's Kickstarter has long since passed. I'm relatively new to the hobby and missed out on Tainted Grail. While exploring a variety of games over the last year, this looks like the type of thing I'd really connect with.

I can't even get a clear answer as to TG ever coming to retail. Does anyone have a site they'd recommend for getting this stuff? It become sort of fishy since not all the expansions are released yet. Any help would be awesome!

Can't speak to that site, but Tainted Grail pledge manager will re-open, so if you can find somebody local to you that pledged, they could add a copy for you to come when wave 2 comes out?

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017

thegamesteward is a legit site. I've ordered some stuff from them, as well as several friends. However, their business is mainly about providing an option for people who missed out on KS projects (and obviously charging more for them).

For Tainted Grail, I'd try to find someone who got in on the campaign and piggy-pack with them on the second wave pledge manager. I'm not sure if you'll be able to order additional core games in the second wave, but it's definitely something to look into.

I'm in the US (Florida), and wouldn't be opposed to adding an additional copy for you, if that is an option.