• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I'm disappointed in you guys. Talking about dungeon crawlers and not mentioning the spiritual successor to the best dungeon crawler of all time (OG Warhammer Quest)?

Shadows of Brimstone is an amazing dungeon crawler with a shit load of content.

Yes, the campaign system is non-existent (enter Hexcrawl), but it is the quintessential board game RPG today. It's a dice fest, yes. But it's a simple and exciting dice fest. Gloomhaven is the more strategic game, sure (maybe the better board game)...But SoB is less work and mental gymnastics to play and enjoy. It's a fun crawl through dungeons (both random and prefabricated) full of loot whoring, dice chucking, crazy enemies, hideous mutations, and character development that gives you a reason to meet up regularly.

SoB is the best DM-less RPG in a box out right now. Gloomhaven is the better boardgame (when you start putting strategy and mechanics and puzzle-solving into the mix). Outside of those two, there are a bunch of unique options that show up on lists all the time (many of which have been mentioned here). YouTube and BGG will be your best friend for stuff like that.

Also, has anyone here gotten Fallout to the table? My copy is still on the shelf because of Massive Darkness and KD:M.

E: I see absolutbro handled the SoB recommendation. Aces!

I couldn't get into SoB. I tried and when wave 2 came...it was just too much to build and glue and I just gave up and lost my faith in FFP. Hoping Gloomhaven fairs better.

Dungeon Saga, isn't that supposed to be a spiritual successor to HeroQuest?

Last edited:
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get into SoB. I tried and when wave 2 came...it was just too much to build and glue and I just gave up and lost my faith in FFG. Hoping Gloomhaven fairs better.

Dungeon Saga, isn't that supposed to be a spiritual successor to HeroQuest?

I think you meant FFP (Flying Frog Productions). FFG is Fantasy Flight Games, and have nothing to do with Shadows of Brimstone.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I just backed Western Legends. It looks like a great open world Western. I love this style of game and the Western theme is so underutilized.. Especially for larger games.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what are you guys thinking of Western Legends and Everdell?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/everdell-a-beautiful-board-game-of-cards-and-critt
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/western-legends

Western Legends reminds me of Merchants and Marauders, as in being a sandbox game with many ways to make points, fixed ending, lots of actions (limited to 3 actions per turn), but of course in a western theme.

Everdell looks beautiful, with many mechanics coming from favorites of mine (Agricola and Race for the Galaxy, cited by the author as inspirations).

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked remind me for both. I'll see if I fund the funds to back them when it's closer to the end date. I really like the look of Everdell, despite it probably being too light for my gaming tastes. Though that's just preconceived notions as I feel like they wouldn't use a cute woodland animal theme on top of a strategically heavy game. But if it's a solid mid-weight Euro, I'll likely pick it up due to theme alone (I love the Redwall series so anything reminiscent of that I'm interested). Western Legends has gotten a bit of buzz from people I follow on Twitter. I am intriguied by the Western theme as it is underutilized, but that's one I need to do more research on before I decide. I made it a point this year to back less and stop backing things at first blush and gut instinct.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
I watched Rahdo's runthrough and thoughts on Western Legends and that was enough for me to back it. Everdell looks very pretty, and the mechanics sound good, but I'll have to watch some previews for that one before I decide on it.

Oct 25, 2017
How hard will it to grab gloomhaven at retail price this month? Cool stuff and places are sold out. I kept hemming and hawing and am I too late?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dev says it will be readily available, but I am skeptical. People are reporting that stores are getting less than they wanted allocated. The store I preordered from told me I am on the waiting list.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get into SoB. I tried and when wave 2 came...it was just too much to build and glue and I just gave up and lost my faith in FFP. Hoping Gloomhaven fairs better.

Full disclosure: I have not yet finished assembling my Shadows of Brimstone models. By which I mean I have assembled like 3, and I have both core sets, 3 otherworlds and 3 enemy boxes. I ended up ordering other models to use in place of the SoB models, not because the SoB models are bad, but because I cba to actually assemble things these days. I used a bunch of old skeleton models from other games, various Wild West figures from other lines for heroes, and a smattering of D&D model stand-ins for the rest also. The models certainly help build the game up and make it look cooler, but they can be subbed by anything you might have on hand. What I'm saying is, if you have the games still and wanted to see how they played, you may consider just subbing other models in until you know if you're going to like the game.

Even though my main game group sort of fell apart, I still buy the expansions for Shadows of Brimstone. I got Derelict Ship for Christmas and can't wait to go through it all. I'll probably fire up another solo campaign. I usually get to level 5 or so before I stop. I do wish there was a firmer campaign format, so I may have to look into Hexcrawl.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27920110#27920110

As the title says, we are finally able to confirm the retail release date of Jan. 19 for the second printing of Gloomhaven. This means that your FLGS should receive their copies of the game from their distributor by that date. For online game stores, I believe that is the date they can start shipping them out, but I'm not 100% on that.

Sorry this took so long to confirm. It was a unique situation where we had to wait for all distributors to get their copies, so we weren't sure until all shipments made their way through customs.

The release for the 19th is the release for retailers and distributors that committed to preorders back in May 2017. It's possible they sold out over the months. Extra copies to sell beyond the preorders by distributors, retailers and consumers will be limited

:/

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand not wanting to print too many copies of Gloomhaven. Printing enough to precisely fulfill demand seems like a safe way to not bankrupt yourself.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
lol, so much for the constant assurances that Gloomhaven would be in stock for those who wanted it for time to come and there would be more than enough supply to meet demand. Now it's "distributors will release the games to all stores who pre-ordered, and there might not be any left from them. We don't really have many left past that though."

After that great Blood Rage win last week that I mentioned a few days ago (pictured below), I was in the mood for more Norse action. I decided to finally learn Yggdrasil. Rahdo's walkthrough of it did wonders for helping me learn the game. He went through every action on the board and all enemy abilities really quick and I realized 'oh, this isn't that complex at all.' Still a tough game though. Maybe not as bad as Ghost Stories in the difficulty department but still hard. After a game of Pandemic and an Imperial Assault mission at game night, everyone else left and the two of use who remaind gave it a shot.

fuGQN3S.jpg

Above: Last week's Blood Rage game. They were talking about it tonight when I arrived and telling the person who wasn't there of my score. I'm sure it isn't all that high of a score compared to whatever the max possible score is, but the host said it is the highest anyone has ever gotten on his board. Up in the top right are all of the blue figures I released from Valhalla at the end of the game that scored me a ton of points.

We got set up really quick and I was able to explain it quickly as well. We dove in, with me playing Freya and the other player controlling Tyr. We quickly got all level three artifacts but it didn't go well for us. I rolled a white face on almost every single combat that I entered, meaning I hardly ever pushed any enemies back. Seriously, out of maybe 10+ rolls, I rolled white/0hits (which is only two of the faces on the die) for all but two of them. So I was pretty useless. I had been working hard to clear Fire Giants out of the White Island bag and get Vikings/Einherjar into it, but Jörmungand repeatedly blocked off the White Island whenever I needed to go fishing for help in it. And then I'd not commit enough Vikings in combat and roll a white, or the enemies got so strong that I didn't have enough to overcome my white rolls anyway. I couldnt really depend on Alfheim's elves since there were only three and the other player was using them a lot.

YtUUclA.jpg

My favorite board art of any game out there. Pictured is where we were at a couple rounds deep into the game.

The player controlling Tyr was doing good in combat with his rerolls and killed a lot of Frost Giants in Jötunheim. We didn't get close to completing any runes though.
We eventually lost with only 9 cards left to go for the win. Nidhögg, Surt, Fenrir, Loki, and Jörmungand all breached the walls of Asgard and I failed combat twice in a row with my white die rolls trying to push Jörmungand back beyond the wall to keep us from losing. Nidhögg had already reached the walls of Valhalla. We only had one more Nidhögg card in the 9 remaining cards and no more Hel cards, so a win was maybe possible had I succeeded in combat. Once we drew Nidhögg, he would have pulled Hel into Asgard though and it would have probably been over at that point. The game took about an hour to get through.
It just wasn't in the stars for us tonight.

Things we didn't do much of: Venturing to Vanaheim and moving the Vanir forward. It didn't seem that useful in the beginning and towards the end, we had more important actions. We used it once to push a God back and then moved the Vanir forward a bit after. Also we didn't go to Niflheim to trade at all, but I think that action is probably more important in games with more than two players. If either of us had elves or Vikings, chances are we needed them for combat that round. We didn't start fighting any Jötun/Frost Giants until Loki activated them. Maybe it might be a good idea to defeat some early on, especially before the one who buffs them all appears? Then we would be closer to collecting a rune set later in the game and some of those are powerful. Oh well, things to think about for the next game.

kkYbMqY.jpg

Nidhögg, Jörmungand, Surt, Loki, and Fenrir have all passed the walls of Asgard, triggering the game's end. Nidhögg is pretty close to Odin's Residence as well. Only five Frost Giants had been defeated by this point, Muspellheim and Helheim were blocked off from being used, and Jörmungand had blocked off the White Island.

I look forward to trying it again soon, and hopefully winning too. I really did like it. It still has the best board art of any game out there, imo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what are you guys thinking of Western Legends and Everdell?

Western Legends looks pretty fun and has a bit of hype around it, so worst case you'll be able to sell it easily. Really don't like seeing addons in kickstarters though. If it is that good, just put it in the game :|

Everdell? It is drawing inspiration from some good games... but I'm not sold on the mix of it and animals in clothes... so I'd wait and see.

I can understand not wanting to print too many copies of Gloomhaven. Printing enough to precisely fulfill demand seems like a safe way to not bankrupt yourself.

I think it is ripe for replacement very soon, so I'd be cautious too.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Man....Gloomhaven. I have my copy and still haven't opened it. I don't think I could get myself to sell it now, though. I think it's going to be one of those games like KD:M where, years from now, people will be talking about how much of a ripple it made in the boardgame scene (also see: Pandemic Legacy).

Unrelated, the new AH LCG announcement has me interested in looking into it from a solo perspective. However, after playing a lot of LotR LCG, I don't know if I'm up for another LCG that requires me to build a deck for every single scenario amongst a pool of hundreds (if not thousands) of cards. Does AH require you to build a deck every single scenario? How does the deck building work in it?

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man....Gloomhaven. I have my copy and still haven't opened it. I don't think I could get myself to sell it now, though. I think it's going to be one of those games like KD:M where, years from now, people will be talking about how much of a ripple it made in the boardgame scene (also see: Pandemic Legacy).

Unrelated, the new AH LCG announcement has me interested in looking into it from a solo perspective. However, after playing a lot of LotR LCG, I don't know if I'm up for another LCG that requires me to build a deck for every single scenario amongst a pool of hundreds (if not thousands) of cards. Does AH require you to build a deck every single scenario? How does the deck building work in it?
You build your deck at the start of the campaign only. Between scenarios of a campaign, you use your XP to trade or upgrade cards. So you only tinker and make small improvements to your deck between scenarios, until you start a new campaign.

The core set campaign is 3 scenarios. A full deluxe campaign is 8. There are 2-3 standalone scenarios you can introduce into those campaigns too.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played coop, but I've heard of people playing true solo or two-handed and that they're both good different experiences.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I answered this exact question (and the solo/two-handed one) just a few days ago over in the Arkham LCG thread. Rather than write all that out again, I'll just point you in that direction.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I actually couldn't decide between getting Arkham Horror and Sylvion in the end, both very different offerings, so I bought both. Sylvion just arrived today so I'm hoping to at least get through the simple "tutorial" game later tonight and back to Arkham Horror at the weekend.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FF is ending the Star Wars LCG.

In addition to being the final Force Pack of the Alliances cycle, Promise of Power marks the completion of Star Wars: The Card Game. Over the past five years, Star Wars: The Card Game has seen five deluxe expansions and six cycles of Force Packs, ranging from the Battle of Hoth, through the pilots of the Rogue Squadron cycle, the forest battles of the Endor cycle, and the most recent changes of the Opposition and Alliances cycle. With the conclusion of the Alliances cycle, the game will be complete, and the Star Wars World Championships in May will be the final Organized Play World Championship for the game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/10/promise-of-power-1

I'm not too surprised by it, it seems like this was never a huge deal and I imagine Destiny is the replacement for it. I was hoping they eventually work in prequel and sequel things to it but now if that happens I guess it'll be a 2nd edition. Which I'm fine with so long as previous cards worked with it.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not too surprised by it, it seems like this was never a huge deal and I imagine Destiny is the replacement for it. I was hoping they eventually work in prequel and sexual things to it but now if that happens I guess it'll be a 2nd edition. Which I'm fine with so long as previous cards worked with it.

Personally I think the Star Wars LCG is their best

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

I'm not too surprised by it, it seems like this was never a huge deal and I imagine Destiny is the replacement for it. I was hoping they eventually work in prequel and sexual things to it but now if that happens I guess it'll be a 2nd edition. Which I'm fine with so long as previous cards worked with it.

Sexual things in Star Wars LCG? Ummmm not sure what it should be?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think the Star Wars LCG is their best

Oh, don't get me wrong I dig it too. I stayed away from it as I didn't want to get into another big deckbuilding thing but someone at gaf explained how it works in this game so I tried it around Christmas '16 and have bought just about all the sets now. It might be my favorite method of deckbuilding. All that said, I still feel like it was never a huge thing for FFG.

Also, I'm not that upset it's ending. There's something about knowing a card game's finished and you can just buy what product you want and be done with it. I didn't get into the Warcraft TCG until it ended for that same reason. I don't play in any official capacity though, but acknowledge for those that do this is a bummer.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, don't get me wrong I dig it too. I stayed away from it as I didn't want to get into another big deckbuilding thing but someone at gaf explained how it works in this game so I tried it around Christmas '16 and have bought just about all the sets now. It might be my favorite method of deckbuilding. All that said, I still feel like it was never a huge thing for FFG.

Also, I'm not that upset it's ending. There's something about knowing a card game's finished and you can just buy what product you want and be done with it. I didn't get into the Warcraft TCG until it ended for that same reason. I don't play in any official capacity though, but acknowledge for those that do this is a bummer.

Yeah I agree. I hope they keep producing it for awhile at least so people can buy what they might be missing.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if they've publically announced financials. They are really struggling to get the latest expansion sets out. Draft and the rest of the starters may not be out until February.

I really think they did the wrong business model. Destiny as a lcg would have cleaned house

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if they've publically announced financials. They are really struggling to get the latest expansion sets out. Draft and the rest of the starters may not be out until February.

It just seemed like it was selling quite well for a while but I noticed the new stuff has been pushed back, as you say. They were originally saying December for Legacy and the other day I read something from them saying Feb.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really think they did the wrong business model. Destiny as a lcg would have cleaned house
As soon as I heard it wasn't LLC, I lost interest. My friend is only picking up some starter-set decks and plans to play with those and only those for fun.

I wonder how hard it would be to undo the TCG element--but my guess is that enough people are already buying the packs that FFG doesn't want the negative blow back from these "investors."

Oct 25, 2017
Any website suggestions that list anticipated upcoming games? I like to look at coming soon on cool stuff and etc but would love to see previews or early reviews

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Any of you guys play the Star Wars RPG?
I played Edge of the Empire a few times. Got through a mini-campaign with four others.

I like the system...sort of. Then all my players starting getting rules lawyer-y and ruined it for me. This is talking about the dice. They didn't let me make cool and exciting reactions with the dice since they printed sheets of how they can overly exploit advantage and disadvantages rolled. They used it as a bible even though those are just suggestions of what could happen. It just felt like they were taking all the control away from the GM (me). Star Wars shouldn't be a slugfest unless you are playing in Clone Wars era. We were right after the 1st Death Star blew up and they were bounty hunters looking for an item. I tried showing them it was a bad idea to full-on attack all the time, even wounding half their team multiple times, but they didn't listen.

It could be great but perhaps I was just playing with the wrong people. You know it is bad when someone prints out a sheet and quotes all the percentages nonstop (and they aren't a droid).

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately my group isn't really like that.

I nabbed a Force Awakens beginner game mostly out of necessity as I can't find the other lines. Really looking to get into Edge of the Empire.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not too surprised by it, it seems like this was never a huge deal and I imagine Destiny is the replacement for it. I was hoping they eventually work in prequel and sequel things to it but now if that happens I guess it'll be a 2nd edition. Which I'm fine with so long as previous cards worked with it.

It actually was really popular when it first came out. My son and I played it quite a bit and there was a lot of tournament scene at several of our local gaming stores. However, like most FFG LCG, they just can't seem to keep the interest going as the set get too big, it was harder and harder for new people to enter the game. No new blood meant no one to keep the games going when older players leave the game. That was one thing Magic got it right for CCG despite what people feel about the practice of restricting cards and retired them from the rotation.

Star Wars LCG was a lot of fun and deckbuilding in that game was fairly simple because you have to select a set of cards to make your deck which also tie into your objective. They were originally going to do this as co-op game like Lords of the Rings but that was scrap in favor of 2-player game may be they will go back and look at that again with Arkham Horror doing relatively well. I will have to see if I can pick up at least all the big box expansions when they get put on clearance.

Last edited:

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
It actually was really popular when it first came out. My son and I played it quite a bit and there was a lot of tournament scene at several of our local gaming stores. However, like most FFG LCG, they just can to keep the interest as the set get too big it was harder and harder for people to enter the game. No new blood meant no one to keep the games going when older players leave the game. That was one thing Magic got it right for CCG despite what people feel about the practice of restricting cards and retired them from the rotation.

Star Wars LCG was a lot of fun and deckbuilding in that game was fairly simple because you have to select a set of cards to make your deck which also tie into your objective. They were originally going to do this as co-op game like Lords of the Rings but that was scrap in favor of 2-player game may be they will go back and look at that again with Arkham Horror doing relatively well. I will have to see if I can pick up at least all the big box expansions when they get put on clearance.

I honestly wish FFG offered more coop card games. I'd play Star Wars destiny but I play mostly solo.

In an odd way I wish there was a publisher that focused only on solo/coop games. Would make some things easyish for me.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I honestly wish FFG offered more coop card games. I'd play Star Wars destiny but I play mostly solo.

In an odd way I wish there was a publisher that focused only on solo/coop games. Would make some things easyish for me.

Imperial Assault has a campaign that can be played solo on their app now.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It actually was really popular when it first came out. My son and I played it quite a bit and there was a lot of tournament scene at several of our local gaming stores. However, like most FFG LCG, they just can't seem to keep the interest going as the set get too big, it was harder and harder for new people to enter the game. No new blood meant no one to keep the games going when older players leave the game. That was one thing Magic got it right for CCG despite what people feel about the practice of restricting cards and retired them from the rotation.

My coming into it at the tail end of 2016 means I missed all that.

And yeah, the deckbuilding in the game is fantastic. And I'm really, really hoping they bring a new version with co-op and more eras represented.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I play about 95% solo. There are a lot of games that play really great solo, just depends on theme and such that you're interested in.