• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nemesis spells trouble for the other Alien-derived semi-coop (well, one vs team) Kickstarter prospect that I've been following for years: Lifeform.

Lifeform has inferior production values and Kickstarts a few weeks later, but appears to have gameplay more to my liking; it's more Alien and less Aliens.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
One thing in Nemesis' corner is that it isn't a campaign, at least not the initial game. So many of these big miniature games are campaigns/dungeon crawlers. I got too many of them.

How do you all find out about cool and new kick starters? I'd like to start keeping up on them

I got an email from the company but you can just go on KS and search them. But it is dangerous for your wallet!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
How do you all find out about cool and new kick starters? I'd like to start keeping up on them
I personally just check
https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?category_id=34&sort=newest&seed=2518739&page=1

from time to time.

there is only usually 5-10 that launch per day, so as long as I check every other day or so it's not hard to glance at all of them.
anything with a launch bonus that I have minor interest in I back and figure out if I want it later. This way I don't miss early bird stuff :P

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Would you folks recommend Epic PVP or Smash Up as a themed kinda entry level deck/shuffle building game?
Or something different?
Legendary Marvel if you like superheroes, or Clank!
I would also love to recommend the game that I'm working on, because it's exactly what you're looking for (an entry level thematic deck building game), but it's still about 6 months away from releasing on Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
CMoN are a very well known publisher
they are the ones behind massive darkness, krosmaster, zombicide, arcadia quest, xenoshyft, and many other games.

though in this case I think it's mostly Hate feels like it's trying way to hard to be edgy, and doesn't look like it has very good game design to go with it.

Their KS is a bit OTT, though it has spawned this great thread on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7qzxjd/describe_your_favourite_euro_game_in_cmon_video/

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Legendary Marvel if you like superheroes, or Clank!
I would also love to recommend the game that I'm working on, because it's exactly what you're looking for (an entry level thematic deck building game), but it's still about 6 months away from releasing on Kickstarter.
I try to avoid everything superheroes :D Clank looks good but maybe a bit too "big" for me?
Looking forward to your kickstarter then :)

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone. I've got the urge to play some hero quest, except hero quest is near impossible to buy.

What are some good modern dungeon crawlers? I've looked at a couple on BGG, but would like the resetERA opinion.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I try to avoid everything superheroes :D Clank looks good but maybe a bit too "big" for me?
Looking forward to your kickstarter then :)
Street fighter the deck building game? Or lord of the rings? They share the same engine, and while out of print still go for retail. Or even Star Trek tos deck builder

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I've got the urge to play some hero quest, except hero quest is near impossible to buy.

What are some good modern dungeon crawlers? I've looked at a couple on BGG, but would like the resetERA opinion.
Tmnt shadows of the past, is a quick and unique one, heroes use a die square, while the villain has a command deck to draw from. Average mission is an hour. Helps if you're a turtle fan though

Oct 25, 2017
I personally just check
https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?category_id=34&sort=newest&seed=2518739&page=1

from time to time.

there is only usually 5-10 that launch per day, so as long as I check every other day or so it's not hard to glance at all of them.
anything with a launch bonus that I have minor interest in I back and figure out if I want it later. This way I don't miss early bird stuff :P

Oh boy this is a huge rabbit hole haha

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I backed Tiny Epic Zombies!
Those games sound fun, sadly not available in German? from what I know.
There is this Tabletop Simulator (official) DLC tho :)

Do we have a GAF community for TTS?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just opened up my imperial assault boba fett pack, and was happy to discover he is fully compatible with the base campaign without need for expansion! Mwhahahha

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Think I am going to try Imperial Assault app or Gloomhaven this Saturday. But which?

Though i do need to finish learning Gloomhaven.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017

There was someone asking the same question (like, the hero quest thing and everything) a page or two back, with several detailed responses. Check em out!

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I pre-ordered Gloomhaven yesterday in a fit of irrational exuberance, thought better of it today and sent a cancellation email to customer support, and watched my order status go from "Pre-order" to "SHIPPED" inside of 90 minutes. Apparently nothing expedites an order like trying to cancel it.

Ah well. I'll just take the door off the hinges this weekend in preparation.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Gloomhaven sounds really fantastic. I guess I will tiptoe into Legacy games with Pandemic (which can be played as regular Pandemic as well?)

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Got my Dominion box!
Have fun! Dominion is a great little game. Quick and easy to play, but lots of variety and strategy.

I guess I will tiptoe into Legacy games with Pandemic (which can be played as regular Pandemic as well?)
Yeah, Pandemic Legacy Season 1 can be played as regular Pandemic before you start with the legacy campaign. If you've never played Pandemic before, I highly recommend playing it a few times without the legacy elements to get a feel for the game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Thanks! I hope my girlfriend is willing to play this weekend - she is scared by lots of text on cards but I bet if she realizes how simple it really is she will like it :)
There is a printing error with the German edition :( Rio Grande Games is sending out replacement stickers with the correct text decals - I would have preferred new cards to be honest.

Regarding Pandemic - is described in the manual what elements I should leave out for a "basic" Pandemic game?

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Regarding Pandemic - is described in the manual what elements I should leave out for a "basic" Pandemic game?
Yeah, the legacy aspect of pandemic legacy revolves around the "legacy deck", which is a deck of cards in a set order that tells the story and gives you instructions on what to do next. All the other legacy components are hidden in closed boxes and sheets of cardboard. The rules clearly tell you not to open those things until you're instructed to do so by the legacy deck.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the legacy aspect of pandemic legacy revolves around the "legacy deck", which is a deck of cards in a set order that tells the story and gives you instructions on what to do next. All the other legacy components are hidden in closed boxes and sheets of cardboard. The rules clearly tell you not to open those things until you're instructed to do so by the legacy deck.
I'm also pretty sure that on the first page of the instruction booklet for Legacy it tells you what to do to set up a normal Pandemic game (also offering the advice to play some regular games of Pandemic first if you've never played it before). I'll echo that, my group played 4-5 regular games before starting Legacy. Speaking of which, we will finally be finishing the game tonight! We only have one game left in December, so it's down to the wire. I think we've got it in the bag, though.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The Legacy concept is still a bit cloudy for me.
How often do you change the rules? How many runs/games are there per "month" Can you finish it in one long sitting?
If it's over - is the game worth playing again?

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
For Pandemic Legacy, specifically, there are 1 or 2 games you play per month, depending on you winning or losing. So a full campaign is anywhere from 12 games (which is a perfect, no loss scenario) to 24 games (which is a no win scenario). It and other legacy games are meant to be played over multiple sessions, usually 2-3 each session. I personally haven't played my copy of Pandemic Legacy Season 1 after we finished the campaign, but I also was burnt out on the whole Pandemic style of gameplay (I also prefer Defenders of the Realm more). As for rule changes, it's less than rules change, and more that things are added. That'll depend on you winning games as most of the changes happen on a monthly basis.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
For Pandemic Legacy, specifically, there are 1 or 2 games you play per month, depending on you winning or losing. So a full campaign is anywhere from 12 games (which is a perfect, no loss scenario) to 24 games (which is a no win scenario). It and other legacy games are meant to be played over multiple sessions, usually 2-3 each session. I personally haven't played my copy of Pandemic Legacy Season 1 after we finished the campaign, but I also was burnt out on the whole Pandemic style of gameplay (I also prefer Defenders of the Realm more). As for rule changes, it's less than rules change, and more that things are added. That'll depend on you winning games as most of the changes happen on a monthly basis.
That sounds interesting but also very "dictating". I guess if you really love the game mechanics it's a good ride, but if you only play it from time to time and/or with different set of people the Legacy aspect get's a bit lost? Everyone seems to recommend Legecay over regular Pandemic though.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds interesting but also very "dictating". I guess if you really love the game mechanics it's a good ride, but if you only play it from time to time and/or with different set of people the Legacy aspect get's a bit lost? Everyone seems to recommend Legecay over regular Pandemic though.
If you aren't playing with the same core set of people I wouldn't suggest the legacy version. Granted, I've only played Season 1 with my group. There are just rules that build on top of the basic rules, and having to bring the new people up to speed every single time wouldn't be a ton of fun.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I would emphasize that it really does need to be a game you play with the same people. As much as legacy games say you can add or drop people, the effect and experience of them are much greater if you consistently play with the same group (Though a rotating 4th chair works okay as was the case with my Pandemic Legacy Season 1 campaign).

Nov 13, 2017

We are going through Pandemic Legacy 1 now and we're loving the ride, we're halfway, so in June, we haven't had to play every month twice, but in my mind is a 1 play game, or maybe buy another copy to play with another group if they want. I am looking forward to season 2

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Love how Hate is kickstarter exclusive, but keep putting out there how their stretch goals are kickstarter exclusives! Whole game is.

Like almost all Cmon kickstarters, nah. Elaborate hype preorder machine they are running, kinda glad to see Hate is not doing so hot.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Going to look into ordering a copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies!

Also, started to setup KD:M for my solo run. I am very overwhelmed by the apparent amount of book keeping that will be required, but I'll make it work. I also had Massive Darkness setup and ready to play, but put it all away for some reason. I'm really worried because everyone says the campaign is just fucking garbage. I guess the one-shot adventures are really good (but swingy), so maybe I need to just man up and go for it.

I played the intro scenario to Arkham Horror: LCG like 6 times now. I just don't think it's for me. Even knowing all the rules (finally) and tweaking the decks a bit, it just doesn't click with me. Glad I didn't snag any expansions! Gonna look into offloading it and grabbing something else instead.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing some anticipated lists, I'm kicking myself for not being more aware of or making the choices I did on Kickstarter. Resident Evil 2 over Time of Legends: Joan of Arc for instance.

Put in for Tiny Epic Zombies though alongside Nemesis. Tiny Epic games look interesting, and it's pretty cheap compared to a lot out there.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
First time actually looking into kickstarter games. It does feel dangerous for my wallet.

I want to back a lot of stuff. But I'm being very cautious. So far, the more appealing games to me are HATE, Nemesis and Everdell.

Leaning towards Everdell because the mechanics look solid and the investment is not that high.

The other two look great and have excellent miniatures, but the investment is substantially bigger and I'm not ready to spend more than $100 on something that I'm not 100% certain I'll enjoy playing.

Nemesis has a similar feel to Legendary Encounters: Alien.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
First time actually looking into kickstarter games. It does feel dangerous for my wallet.

I want to back a lot of stuff. But I'm being very cautious. So far, the more appealing games to me are HATE, Nemesis and Everdell.

Leaning towards Everdell because the mechanics look solid and the investment is not that high.

The other two look great and have excellent miniatures, but the investment is substantially bigger and I'm not ready to spend more than $100 on something that I'm not 100% certain I'll enjoy playing.

Nemesis has a similar feel to Legendary Encounters: Alien.
Rule number 1 of kickstarter backing: Ignore any kickstarter that has a heavy focus on how awesome their minatures are.
Rule number 2: compare what you will get vs what will be at retail. The majority of kickstarted games will hit stores like CSI at 10-20% less than the kickstarter listed MSRP and in cases where there isn't free shipping CSI would have a free shipping tier. thus unless you really want to support a certain company most games are worth just waiting for the retail release.
Rule number 3: Kickstarter games are almost always at the ready to print phase. Go watch prototype play throughs and if there aren't any DO NOT BACK! :P

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Rule number 1 of kickstarter backing: Ignore any kickstarter that has a heavy focus on how awesome their minatures are.
Rule number 2: compare what you will get vs what will be at retail. The majority of kickstarted games will hit stores like CSI at 10-20% less than the kickstarter listed MSRP and in cases where there isn't free shipping CSI would have a free shipping tier. thus unless you really want to support a certain company most games are worth just waiting for the retail release.
Rule number 3: Kickstarter games are almost always at the ready to print phase. Go watch prototype play throughs and if there aren't any DO NOT BACK! :P
Is Everdell worth backing in your experience? I would back the Collectors edition. I don't know if that particular version is getting a retail release.

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful and I will keep it in mind.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Is Everdell worth backing in your experience? I would back the Collectors edition. I don't know if that particular version is getting a retail release.

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful and I will keep it in mind.
It seems to have good buzz, though I would still look to see if the prototype playthroughs are of interest to you.
If you were getting the base version I don't know if it would be worth it as I don't think anything from the base version is kickstarter exclusive.

as for the collectors version
fp75pW5.png

number 3 is important, and thus since that won't be hitting places like CSI will likely be a decently safe bet to not be cheaper shortly after launch.

I haven't looked into the game to much myself though it's on my saved list to look at when 48 hours remain. Most of the time I wait until the end of the campaign to back so that I can fully see what I am getting, but there are also a number that run early bird stuff so I try to watch for that as well.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
It seems to have good buzz, though I would still look to see if the prototype playthroughs are of interest to you.
If you were getting the base version I don't know if it would be worth it as I don't think anything from the base version is kickstarter exclusive.

as for the collectors version
fp75pW5.png

number 3 is important, and thus since that won't be hitting places like CSI will likely be a decently safe bet to not be cheaper shortly after launch.

I haven't looked into the game to much myself though it's on my saved list to look at when 48 hours remain. Most of the time I wait until the end of the campaign to back so that I can fully see what I am getting, but there are also a number that run early bird stuff so I try to watch for that as well.
I like the theme a whole lot, tableou building (Is that like in 51st state?) and worker placement are mechanics I usually enjoy. I'll watch a full play through and see if that makes me pull the trigger. Thanks.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rule number 4: Don't back if they say "we'll sort out postage later". This might be an Australian thing especially, but even for the US it either implies that they don't know what they are doing, or there is a bucketload of addons and miniatures which we already know from Rule 1 means the game is not good.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Rule number 4: Don't back if they say "we'll sort out postage later". This might be an Australian thing especially, but even for the US it either implies that they don't know what they are doing, or there is a bucketload of addons and miniatures which we already know from Rule 1 means the game is not good.
yeah... rule one is mostly there because the games that have a heavy focus on how awesome their miniatures are typically don't have good gameplay.

but yeah be careful with shipping stuff. even if they do have a good idea if they aren't clear with shipping they might be trying to sneak in extra cost later.

a lot of first time creators also don't realize how expensive it is to ship something like board games around the world.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Still considering the late support for the successful warehouse 13 game, loved the show and seems like a great game with a nice spin on a coop game with an optional betrayal element