• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Everdale is my first ever kick started game. I just want to see how it goes and that looks right up my ally. Went for CE because no retail

Dec 2018 seems like a FAR ass time though. Is a year standard for kick starter?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Everdale is my first ever kick started game. I just want to see how it goes and that looks right up my ally. Went for CE because no retail

Dec 2018 seems like a FAR ass time though. Is a year standard for kick starter?
yup decently standard.
most of my kickstarted board games take 1-2 years to come out.
There are only so many places to print games and it takes a while to finalize everything and ship everything. Even the ones that are ready for mass production (aka already have a contract with a company, already made test pieces to make sure things print correctly ect) take 3-6 months before they can ship.

Oct 25, 2017
yup decently standard.
most of my kickstarted board games take 1-2 years to come out.
There are only so many places to print games and it takes a while to finalize everything and ship everything. Even the ones that are ready for mass production (aka already have a contract with a company, already made test pieces to make sure things print correctly ect) take 3-6 months before they can ship.

Well good to know. I guess after a year it's nice it's paid for at least!

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Founders of Gloomhaven reward, a building named by Isaac. I didn't realize he was going to be playing videogames, so it turned out my building was created in World of Goo. I'm honored because it appears to be the highest building he made. :P

wizard_towertzu01.jpg

I hope he didn't go insane by going through like 1500 building names.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking into Too Many Bones: Undertow since it's still available as a late pledge until February. The combat system looks kind of cool, almost reminds me of an old-school JRPG because of the combat grid. That being said, it seems pretty expensive. 75$ for a 2-character standalone expansion. 125$ for the base game. 25$ for single characters. Seems like you're mostly paying for the components rather than sheer game content. I get skeptical when a game gets hyped up but half the praise is about the components (like Mechs vs Minions).

Anyone back this? Did anyone play the original? Did you find it worth the price with good replay value?

Orson9999999

Oct 26, 2017
Been looking into Too Many Bones: Undertow since it's still available as a late pledge until February. The combat system looks kind of cool, almost reminds me of an old-school JRPG because of the combat grid. That being said, it seems pretty expensive. 75$ for a 2-character standalone expansion. 125$ for the base game. 25$ for single characters. Seems like you're mostly paying for the components rather than sheer game content. I get skeptical when a game gets hyped up but half the praise is about the components (like Mechs vs Minions).

Anyone back this? Did anyone play the original? Did you find it worth the price with good replay value?

I backed the original Kickstarter and also Undertow. It's my favorite game I own, but it is a little hard to get it to the table because of time. If you're playing with 3 people, I'd say 3 hours is a given, especially if it's the first time for players. That said, it's a fun 3 hours and doesn't drag.

It's expensive, but I think it's justified. The mats, dice, and chips are all good quality. It feels really good upgrading your character and putting the new upgraded dice into the slots on the mat. Yes, everything could be done with cardboard, but it's just not the same.

As for replay, a lot of it comes from the characters, as you have a lot of options available for how to build them. I've had players choose completely different skill trees to focus on and be successful, which also affects how the character is played. Coupled with the fact you'll be having different encounters and bosses, which will also affect how you build you character, I think there's a lot of replayability. Basically, everytime you choose a different character you're going to have a different experience, and how you build that character is going to change based on the adventure you have.

The complexity of the characters can be an issue, as there's a lot of information to process for each one. This can be quite intimidating initially, but you build the characters gradually, so after the first battle I think most players will get the hang of it. If your group is easily intimidated, it is a concern, though.

So, yeah, I really like it.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone still looking to score a copy of Gloomhaven, you can order it directly from walmart.com for $114 + tax.

Absolutely insane that a game like this is stocked by Wal-Mart (not third-party seller)!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well decided to take my chances and preorder the Warehouse 13 board game, since: it still includes the Kickstarter exclusive Lena character(first print run does), it looks like a great game, at $56 including shipping the price wasn't bad either, and they have no confirmation NBC will authorize any additional printing runs, so being based off a cult show it's not a bad game to hang onto. That and I loved the show and it's a great looking coop game with an optional betrayal mode. Game ships in May

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I backed the original Kickstarter and also Undertow. It's my favorite game I own, but it is a little hard to get it to the table because of time. If you're playing with 3 people, I'd say 3 hours is a given, especially if it's the first time for players. That said, it's a fun 3 hours and doesn't drag.

It's expensive, but I think it's justified. The mats, dice, and chips are all good quality. It feels really good upgrading your character and putting the new upgraded dice into the slots on the mat. Yes, everything could be done with cardboard, but it's just not the same.

As for replay, a lot of it comes from the characters, as you have a lot of options available for how to build them. I've had players choose completely different skill trees to focus on and be successful, which also affects how the character is played. Coupled with the fact you'll be having different encounters and bosses, which will also affect how you build you character, I think there's a lot of replayability. Basically, everytime you choose a different character you're going to have a different experience, and how you build that character is going to change based on the adventure you have.

The complexity of the characters can be an issue, as there's a lot of information to process for each one. This can be quite intimidating initially, but you build the characters gradually, so after the first battle I think most players will get the hang of it. If your group is easily intimidated, it is a concern, though.

So, yeah, I really like it.
Thanks for your impressions. I'll check a few more videos and decide.

For anyone still looking to score a copy of Gloomhaven, you can order it directly from walmart.com for $114 + tax.

Absolutely insane that a game like this is stocked by Wal-Mart (not third-party seller)!
Insane that Walmart of all places is selling it for less than MSRP, while Funagain - the actual distributor of the game in the US - is selling for 199.

Oct 25, 2017

If I were Isaac it would be hard to know what to do next. #1/#1/#1 on BGG, sold by Wal-Mart, two successful campaigns despite fulfillment issues.

I hope he can weather the pressure and not end up like Notch after Minecraft. At least the Gloomhaven money isn't on that level.

Oct 27, 2017
Gloomhaven arrived. Oh lord. Soooo much Gloom. It's kind of hilarious. The size is fairly ridiculous for a board game, but the WEIGHT. I am concerned I don't have a closet shelf or bookcase to support it indefinitely.

I might literally use the box as an exercise weight long before I get around to playing this.

KJ869

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man...

My KD:M Rulebook is messed up. It's missing 16 pages. Hopefully support will take care of this. Had to roll on the Severe Injury table, but it's not there.
It will take time probaly. Just say what pages are missing and somebody can copy for you or at least me when I return to my copy in 25 hours

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
It will take time probaly. Just say what pages are missing and somebody can copy for you or at least me when I return to my copy in 25 hours

A local buddy of mine saw my post on Facebook and sent me pictures of what I need. So that will help. Thanks for the offer!

All these Gloomhaven posts...I'm trying to decide if I should bust out my copy now that everyone will be getting and enjoying the game.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Made the mistake of watching a Gloomhaven walkthrough, errrggh. I was pretty sure the game was for me but tried not to look too much into it in case I got sucked in. It looks like exactly what I'm after.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shut Up and Sit Down's review namedropped Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and that did me in.

Boy that was a bad review btw. Not so much that there was a problem with the thoughts, but that he repeated them like 6 times.

I would give them props if this unnecessary length and repetition was referential, but I really think they just need Quinns in every video.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Nemesis spells trouble for the other Alien-derived semi-coop (well, one vs team) Kickstarter prospect that I've been following for years: Lifeform.

Lifeform has inferior production values and Kickstarts a few weeks later, but appears to have gameplay more to my liking; it's more Alien and less Aliens.

Is there a link to this or is it not up just yet? I'm curious about it and can't find it.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent way too much time the last couple of weeks teaching myself about TTS modding and Lua. I had only really messed with one mod before. Almost everything feels slightly more awkward and difficult than you would expect, and it drove me nuts that Lua indexes arrays starting at 1 by default.

I branched off the main Star Wars Destiny mod and added four different types of drafting.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1275833804

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say I start Gloomhaven with one group, but they'll only be in town for a few months, so we very likely won't be able to finish the game with them. When I get around to playing with my SO (who wouldn't able to join in with that one group, so every campaign thing we do/unlock will have been done without her) down the line when that group will already be gone, should I continue the campaign with her? I know the game allows for multiple parties, but in this case would it be better to just reset the campaign? (I bought the removable stickers)

Also, sleeving this game sounds like a nightmare.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I spent way too much time the last couple of weeks teaching myself about TTS modding and Lua. I had only really messed with one mod before. Almost everything feels slightly more awkward and difficult than you would expect, and it drove me nuts that Lua indexes arrays starting at 1 by default.

I branched off the main Star Wars Destiny mod and added four different types of drafting.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1275833804

oh man awesome. I was excited to help you test it.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen someone selling Mage Knight for £45 punched but unused, so very tempting... I'm really in the market for a good dungeon crawler, something with little boards that create the areas, character/enemy minis to move around, all that jazz.

It was answered for me somewhat before, but along those specific lines what are some good options? There's Mage Knight, Descent, Gloomhaven now.

Incidentally are there any good digital versions of this type of game?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've seen someone selling Mage Knight for £45 punched but unused, so very tempting... I'm really in the market for a good dungeon crawler, something with little boards that create the areas, character/enemy minis to move around, all that jazz.

It was answered for me somewhat before, but along those specific lines what are some good options? There's Mage Knight, Descent, Gloomhaven now.

Don't forget Imperial Assualt as a solo player now due to the app they released that they will continue expanding, right now it only supports the core game and all heroes from the campaign boxes. Also the campaign boxes are great deals..., the blisters not as much, but there's only 6 characters currently who don't have tokens in corresponding campaign boxes(off the top of my head, Greedo, Obiwan, Hera and Chopper, and the evil Imperial Assassin droid duo

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I've answered this in this thread before. But just in case, the most obvious one I would suggest is Shadows of Brimstone. It's a reimplementation of the old Warhammer Quest. Very much an open ended RPG in a box. Tons of expansions to add variety, too. The only downside is a lack of "in box" campaign. It's a bunch of missions you can run to level up and get loot. No real story. Hexcrawl exists to help with that if you're wanting something like that.

Sword & Sorcery comes up a lot, too. Massive Darkness or a Zombicide game for one shot adventures. Descent 2e is a scenario dungeon crawler and a blast with the app. I am in the process of learning Fallout right now, which seems like a neat adventure RPG (but maybe not enough tile and enemy stuff for you). Mage Knight is awesome, but NOT a dungeon crawler. It's a strategy, very light deck...builder-ish. Runebound 3e with Unbreakable Bonds for a cool solo adventure game. Gloomhaven of course is worth checking out.

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I've answered this in this thread before. But just in case, the most obvious one I would suggest is Shadows of Brimstone. It's a reimplementation of the old Warhammer Quest. Very much an open ended RPG in a box. Tons of expansions to add variety, too. The only downside is a lack of "in box" campaign. It's a bunch of missions you can run to level up and get loot. No real story. Hexcrawl exists to help with that if you're wanting something like that.

Sword & Sorcery comes up a lot, too. Massive Darkness or a Zombicide game for one shot adventures. Descent 2e is a scenario dungeon crawler and a blast with the app. I am in the process of learning Fallout right now, which seems like a neat adventure RPG (but maybe not enough tile and enemy stuff for you). Mage Knight is awesome, but NOT a dungeon crawler. It's a strategy, very light deck...builder-ish. Runebound 3e with Unbreakable Bonds for a cool solo adventure game. Gloomhaven of course is worth checking out.

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Ahah you did, it was you that answered my initial queries re: solo gaming, a couple of weeks ago. I was just narrowing the query down as I get a better idea of what I think I'm looking for.

I'll be looking into Shadows of Brimstone, Descent (& keeping an eye on Gloomhaven...). Mage Knight sounds like, while good, maybe not quite what I'm looking for then.

I at least think it's a Dungeon Crawler I'm after, I guess I want some sort of exploration type game with some sort of reward or resolution at the end of the scenario that (maybe optionally?) feeds into the campaign going forward. I think what I want is to have that feeling you get when you're playing DnD where you get nice and sucked into the campaign, like when you're playing it all you can do is immerse yourself and imagine yourself in the world. A feeling I definitely get when I'm playing Arkham Horror (though perhaps a Lovecraftian horror scenario isn't the exact type of world one would like to find themselves stuck in).

I'm sure we used to play one or something similar when I was younger with my dad and stepmum, I should ask them what that was. Saw some pictures of HeroQuest the other day and it looks really similar to the game I remember but not sure that was it, I feel like I'd know the name.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ahah you did, it was you that answered my initial queries re: solo gaming, a couple of weeks ago. I was just narrowing the query down as I get a better idea of what I think I'm looking for.

I'll be looking into Shadows of Brimstone, Descent (& keeping an eye on Gloomhaven...). Mage Knight sounds like, while good, maybe not quite what I'm looking for then.

I at least think it's a Dungeon Crawler I'm after, I guess I want some sort of exploration type game with some sort of reward or resolution at the end of the scenario that (maybe optionally?) feeds into the campaign going forward. I think what I want is to have that feeling you get when you're playing DnD where you get nice and sucked into the campaign, like when you're playing it all you can do is immerse yourself and imagine yourself in the world. A feeling I definitely get when I'm playing Arkham Horror (though perhaps a Lovecraftian horror scenario isn't the exact type of world one would like to find themselves stuck in).

I'm sure we used to play one or something similar when I was younger with my dad and stepmum, I should ask them what that was. Saw some pictures of HeroQuest the other day and it looks really similar to the game I remember but not sure that was it, I feel like I'd know the name.
Mage knight, or it's retheme Star Trek Frontiers would be a good option. As would Imperial Assualt(Star Wars retheme of descent. Has a solo app campaign that goes with the game). Pure dungeon crawler, there was a ghostbusters game, but I also remember hearing mixed things on auality

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
You should take a look at the DnD Adventure games - Temple of Elemental Evil has a campaign. I forgot about those games. All of them are good (if not a bit overly difficult at times). Check those out.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
You should take a look at the DnD Adventure games - Temple of Elemental Evil has a campaign. I forgot about those games. All of them are good (if not a bit overly difficult at times). Check those out.

Would that be these ones: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9547/dungeons-and-dragons-adventure-system-board-games ?
QUICK EDIT: Daft question, the one you mentioned is right there in that list.

I was sure for a while the one we used to play had DnD in the name, it would have been before these though.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Would that be these ones: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9547/dungeons-and-dragons-adventure-system-board-games ?
QUICK EDIT: Daft question, the one you mentioned is right there in that list.

I was sure for a while the one we used to play had DnD in the name, it would have been before these though.

Yup! I used to own them all and really enjoyed them. Only reason I got rid of them was because I had so many other crawlers on my shelf. I'm considering picking up ToEE again at some point, though. Really simple but rewarding experiences. Tons of house rules and custom content out there, too.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone backing Nemesis? I'm a bit annoyed that the additional character was free for 24 hours, I'm afraid it will set a bad precedent. That said the game looks pretty good neat, albeit a blatant rip-off of Alien/s. I think I'm gonna back it but between this and Lifeform I really wish we'd just get a great Alien board game.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone backing Nemesis? I'm a bit annoyed that the additional character was free for 24 hours, I'm afraid it will set a bad precedent. That said the game looks pretty good neat, albeit a blatant rip-off of Alien/s. I think I'm gonna back it but between this and Lifeform I really wish we'd just get a great Alien board game.
i've currently got it backed but there is a good chance I drop that before the end. I already have other games to play and I could likely do with just the base game for this. though with the other game I backed from them the kickstarter stuff has held it's value very well since a decent chunk of it hasn't been released beyond that.

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo do I need a box organizer for gloomhaven if I'm only playing 90 min a week? Easier to save and put away? Or is it not too bad to pick up a week later?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

I got Nemesis, could be fun and glad it isn't a campaign game. Haven't looked at Lifeform yet. I don't see it being a "rip-off" of Alien/s being a bad thing. There isn't a game and Disney isn't going to make an Alien board game (since they are buying the rights of 20th Century Fox).

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got Nemesis, could be fun and glad it isn't a campaign game. Haven't looked at Lifeform yet. I don't see it being a "rip-off" of Alien/s being a bad thing. There isn't a game and Disney isn't going to make an Alien board game (since they are buying the rights of 20th Century Fox).

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, just a fact and that I wish we'd get an actual Alien game that is as good as those two look like they may be. But hey, if the owners of that property won't give it to us I'm okay giving my money to those who will (just with a different skin).

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, just a fact and that I wish we'd get an actual Alien game that is as good as those two look like they may be. But hey, if the owners of that property won't give it to us I'm okay giving my money to those who will (just with a different skin).

Escape from Aliens in Outer Space is like Alien as well. Hidden movement, cat card, don't know who/where the alien(s) are, you can turn into an alien...if you aren't aware, you should totally check it out.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
I think the cost of organizers is insane. I bought one for Mage Knight. Love it, but probably didn't need it. When you're looking at spending $50-100 for an organizer...
Having gotten one myself (for Terraforming Mars), I could argue the price seems less drastic if you factor in the time it takes to put them together, at least when you're getting a Broken Token style wooden one. It's like Lego or Labo, part of the enjoyment is the process of building it.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Escape from Aliens in Outer Space is like Alien as well. Hidden movement, cat card, don't know who/where the alien(s) are, you can turn into an alien...if you aren't aware, you should totally check it out.

I'd actually not heard of it, no. I'll take a look at it, thanks for the heads up.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo do I need a box organizer for gloomhaven if I'm only playing 90 min a week? Easier to save and put away? Or is it not too bad to pick up a week later?
I opened my copy of Gloomhaven today and had to find a way to store things too. I find the organizer way too expensive. You are paying a premium for a luxury item. Yes, it helps organize things and makes setup faster, but you can do that yourself with some plano boxes, plastic bags, and cd sleeves (just throw the monster statsheet, cards, and cardboard cutoffs into a cd sleeve).

KJ869

Oct 27, 2017
I have Small terrain stuff in plano. Cards with sleeves for the insert when cards for players are stored inside charachter boxes. No need for extra insert

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Our first Dominion match went well. It took some minutes to get into a flow but once it's rolling it's quite fun.

I have to say tho - some illustrations are very bad. I know it's an old game, but some cards could really look a lot better.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Having gotten one myself (for Terraforming Mars), I could argue the price seems less drastic if you factor in the time it takes to put them together, at least when you're getting a Broken Token style wooden one. It's like Lego or Labo, part of the enjoyment is the process of building it.

I like them, I just don't love their prices, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I opened my copy of Gloomhaven today and had to find a way to store things too. I find the organizer way too expensive. You are paying a premium for a luxury item. Yes, it helps organize things and makes setup faster, but you can do that yourself with some plano boxes, plastic bags, and cd sleeves (just throw the monster statsheet, cards, and cardboard cutoffs into a cd sleeve).

I think I'll do that i already paid $120 it'll kill me to pay another 80 just for an organizer
Thanks for tips everyone