• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to address some my concerns. I'm sure it's probably frustrating to see criticisms from someone who hasn't even played your game yet ha.
Not at all! Your criticisms all make sense, and I love that you're excited for my game :D

One silly question I have is when I'm telling my friends about this game is the title pronounced Ten-e-fear or Ten-e-fur?
Ten-e-fear. And thanks for telling your friends!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
So me and wife have recently gotten into competitive deck building games. We bought 7 Wonders Duel and Monopoly Deal and have a lot of fun with it. I was looking online for some more games with deck-building themes like Dominion, Clank, etc. Any suggestions for something with a lot replay value / not-too difficult mechanics? Looking for mostly 2p competitive games because we like going against each other.
My wife and I love Hero Realms. I would also look into Valley of the Kings (there are three standalone ones now which can all be mixed together). Hero Realms (and Star Realms if you want Sci-Fi flair) is a super quick back and forth PvP deckbuilder which can be played easily in 15 minutes. It's a lot of fun but my one complaint is that it usually ends right as you are getting into the fun ramp-up part of the game. Valley of the Kings is one of the most unique deck-builders I've played where you are buying cards from a pyramid that help you create a kind of economic engine with other card combos. The kicker is that in order to score points you have to put some of your best cards in your tomb (discarding them forever). There is a lot of really fun tension between playing the cards from your hand or scoring points, and the end game is a crazy race to get all of your goods into your tomb.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I got these bad boys last night. I haven't had time to open them up yet (I had to hide them before my kids wanted to get their grubby fingers all over them) but even the box art is gorgeous.

lqRdLyV.jpg

My copies, plus the fill-out for the Iron Clays, showed up today. Don't know when I'll get around to them; I've never played the original Brass and games like these are usually pretty tough for me to grok. Hopefully a bunch of Learn to Play vids pop up soon.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the physical game, but I've played the app and online a number of times so I have a good feel for the Lancashire rules at least. But I hardly play physical games anymore so I had a bit of buyer's remorse and considered flipping them right away. But they're just so good looking I'll probably keep them.

Online Brass: http://brass.orderofthehammer.com/

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I am watching Root playthrough videos while I anxiously wait for my copy to arrive.

The Brass production values are great. I've played the online game but I've yet to play my physical copy yet. I don't know when I will get the chance but I didn't want to miss out on the KS and I'm glad I did.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
At a high level, I sort of disagree.. no it's not tile based, and the character boards and dice pool definitely separate it.. but it's a group of characters, randomized events/quests/enemies, delineations in the game flow, etc. I suppose it's much less of a skinning than my Secret Hitler/Hail Hydra example.. but no way would I say they are different genres of games, and yeah I would still classify BTILC as a dungeon crawl, even though thematically it certainly doesn't feel like one.

I played Big Trouble, I have to agree with the other guy. It is more like Runebound than Descent. It's adventure game where you move around reading cards completing quest and rolling dice. (Which Runebound change to pog in the last version). It was alright, I mean I would play it again but I wouldn't go out of my way asking to play it. The theme is pretty good but it was a bit random at time.

Oct 28, 2017
Got my shipping notice for the Sentinels of the Multiverse Kickstarter that ended like 2 years ago. I ordered the big box and now I really wish I hadn't. Judging from the weight of the package (20 pounds!) and the pics that box is too damn big. I may end up selling it.

Oh yeah, and the new Brass looks gorgeous. Can't wait to get it to the table.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a video to watch and understand how to play Gloomhaven? I bought it when it was on sale on Amazon not too long ago and, while the rule book is great, I need a visual to go along with it lol.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, so something interesting, I don't know if anyone else here has tmnt shadows the past, but the city fall expansion has been announced but things are a little different than expected. The original game and 3 character expansions have been discontinued due to the factory being shutdown, and the two new sets City Fall and Change is constant are both stand-alone expansions(that include all previous and some new heroes including slash). However all past content is compatible, including with the new ai singleplayer rules. There will be a kickstarter in a few months

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Ok, so something interesting, I don't know if anyone else here has tmnt shadows the past, but the city fall expansion has been announced but things are a little different than expected. The original game and 3 character expansions have been discontinued due to the factory being shutdown, and the two new sets City Fall and Change is constant are both stand-alone expansions(that include all previous and some new heroes including slash). However all past content is compatible, including with the new ai singleplayer rules. There will be a kickstarter in a few months

I'm likely going all in on this Kickstarter which they are estimating to launch in Jan at this point. My play group enjoyed Shadows of the Past quite a bit.

I've already sold my works edition in preparation because this is a reboot and all the minis and maps from the original will be in the new one revamped (proper scaling, maps are at night with improved art). They've even mentioned all the missions from Shadows of the Past would be made available via a seperate book with fixes so the Works edition is basically just alternate sculpts/art/abilities now. Not enough for me to have kept it.

I guess as a PSA I wouldn't recommend buying Shadows of the Past but wait for Change is Constant and/or Cityfall for your TMNT mini game fix. How raw of a deal this is for original owners is debatable and woo boy there is salt in the Facebook group, but IDW and the designers felt this was the only way forward.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm likely going all in on this Kickstarter which they are estimating to launch in Jan at this point. My play group enjoyed Shadows of the Past quite a bit.

I've already sold my works edition in preparation because this is a reboot and all the minis and maps from the original will be in the new one revamped (proper scaling, maps are at night with improved art). They've even mentioned all the missions from Shadows of the Past would be made available via a seperate book with fixes so the Works edition is basically just alternate sculpts/art/abilities now. Not enough for me to have kept it.

I guess as a PSA I wouldn't recommend buying Shadows of the Past but wait for Change is Constant and/or Cityfall for your TMNT mini game fix. How raw of a deal this is for original owners is debatable and woo boy there is salt in the Facebook group, but IDW and the designers felt this was the only way forward.
Shrug, I'll hang on to mine, it's a post release version(and April)and I tried(poorly) to paint one of the ninja's. Plus who knows if I'll have the funds to back the new version

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Shrug, I'll hang on to mine, it's a post release version(and April)and I tried(poorly) to paint one of the ninja's. Plus who knows if I'll have the funds to back the new version

Yeah though I recommended not buying SotP and waiting for the new stuff I don't necessarily fully endorse selling what you have now unless it makes sense to you.

I only sold because we had played a decent amount of SotP's content and it hasn't been a feature title at the table for a while. Also, I figure once this news gets more widespread the resell value of SotP and even the Works will likely plummet as it's now essentially spare parts.

But, these new sets are probably almost a full year away from hitting retail and that's a long time to wait if you think you may want to play what you've got in the interim.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Got my shipping notice for the Sentinels of the Multiverse Kickstarter that ended like 2 years ago. I ordered the big box and now I really wish I hadn't. Judging from the weight of the package (20 pounds!) and the pics that box is too damn big. I may end up selling it.

i'm kind of in the same boat. I love the idea of 1 single box with all of the sentinels shit organized perfectly, but where in gods name am I going to put it? Gloomhaven is a 20 pound board game that is reasonably compact all things considered. Oblivaeon is basically a crate

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I just got my copy of Guardians from Plaid Hat that my friend bought for me at Gencon and it's REALLY FUCKING GREAT. I mean, yes, it's totally Overwatch The Card Game, but man is it fun. I need to play it more than the one game over lunch that I just played before I can properly review it, but I think this is going to be a hit.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Guys I just got my copy of Guardians from Plaid Hat that my friend bought for me at Gencon and it's REALLY FUCKING GREAT. I mean, yes, it's totally Overwatch The Card Game, but man is it fun. I need to play it more than the one game over lunch that I just played before I can properly review it, but I think this is going to be a hit.

Your glowing impressions mixed with this 3 minute overview:
https://youtu.be/Lw0GsJVw93A
Has me excited for its October release.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

I bought Shadows of the Past a long while back and never brought it to the table... in part because of the inconsistent art and minis.. Just wasn't feeling it, and I'm quite picky when it comes to that kind of thing... So I'm really looking forward to the two new boxes.
So is everything from the old game back again? Zero reason to hang on to shadows of the past? I was wondering if I should go ahead and try to sell it..

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
I bought Shadows of the Past a long while back and never brought it to the table... in part because of the inconsistent art and minis.. Just wasn't feeling it, and I'm quite picky when it comes to that kind of thing... So I'm really looking forward to the two new boxes.
So is everything from the old game back again? Zero reason to hang on to shadows of the past? I was wondering if I should go ahead and try to sell it..

If you have retail everything is coming back better. If it's the works, the handful of Kickstarter exclusive missions and the Eastman studio map that was exclusive is likely to remain that way.

It is my understanding that all the other map tiles are being revamped and returning, they mentioned the specific number 30 for resculpted miniatures returning, the returning figures will have different art and abilities on their sheets, and they also mentioned a separate book that would contain all the SotP story missions with errors corrected that would be made available. Then in addition to that, of course, is all the new content - missions, maps, and minis not in SotP. The new "standalone expansions" are backwards compatible in that it is the same ruleset. I put quotations cause that's what IDW will call them officially though it really is SotP rebooted.

In summary, the original box would be good to keep if you value alternative sculpts to use, the current art, or really attached to the abilities and stats on the character/villain sheets.

Again the release for the new stuff is likely to be next summer at the earliest I would think so take that into account.

Bonus question/discussion! This situation seems unique but I don't know for sure. Can anyone think of something similar where a publisher produced a standalone expansion that contained virtually all of the base game's content improved in it? I mean that's basically what a 2nd edition would be but they're not calling it that and there is a lot of new content as well.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Bonus question/discussion! This situation seems unique but I don't know for sure. Can anyone think of something similar where a publisher produced a standalone expansion that contained virtually all of the base game's content improved in it? I mean that's basically what a 2nd edition would be but there not calling it that and there is a lot of new content as well.
Off the top of my head, Space Empires 4X first expansion came with an improved counter sheets for all the player components.

Also Leaving Earth's Stations expansion includes money cards to replace the paper money in the base set and changes the base game's location cards.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
So here in NYC, there's a convention going on called Play NYC, and there are a few indie tabletop games (about 90% were filler card games, hence why so many are listed below) that I found that are currently on sale or currently being Kickstarted. I didn't get to play all of the games there, so I'll be updating this after tomorrow with more games. Anyways, here're some games showcased there:

Wicked Apples - Card game where players have to avoid picking/eating the wicked apples from a selection to win. Other apples in the game allow you to swap with others to get yourself an advantage. 2-5 players. Available at http://almostagame.com/wicked-apples/about/

Deckfighters - Card game based on MMA. Players perform MMA moves on opponents to deal damage to get TKO victories, or if the right cards are in their hands, they can perform moves that'll get them a victory via submission. 2-4 players. Available at http://deckfighters.com/

Clear the Decks - Co-op card game where the object of the game is for the players to sink an enemy ship with their cannons while fending off the enemies' own cannons, crew mates, and mother nature herself. 1-4 players.Currently being Kickstarted at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1480427463/clear-the-decks ($2,436 short of the goal with 4 days left at time of post)

Saturday Morning Games - Card game themed around Saturday morning cartoons of the 80s. Players try to match action and character cards with attack cards on the board to deal damage to the opponent and take their cereal bowl tokens. Currently being Kickstarted at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/128771702/saturday-morning-games ($4,019 short of the goal with 14 days left at time of post)

The Ultimate Clapback - Card game where the theme is throwing shade at one another. Player A targets another with a snarky comment from a drawn deck, and Player B plays a card in their hand to retaliate. If Player A approves or the other players feel the clapback was strong, Player B wins the battle. If it's agreed that the clapback was weak, Player A wins the battle. First to win 5 battles wins the game. 3+ Players. Official website is currently having "security issues" so here's the game on Amazon instead: https://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Clap-Back/dp/B07B65S1SF

Tau Leader Games - There were a bunch of games here and i wasn't able to learn a lot of them. The only one I got to play was a co-op game in it's beta(?) stage about working at a ramen shop. Info on some other games they had can be found at http://www.tauleadergames.com/games/

So that's part 1. I'll try to play some more tomorrow.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I finally looked into what's up with Reef and I'm completely sold on the game. Gonna need to put in a pre-order for it soon; I don't want the same thing that happened with Azul to happen with Reef and not be able to get a copy until the third printing or something (not that I even own Azul, I liked it well-enough but am pretty ambivalent towards it, but I know how scarce it was due to hype).

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this as my questions are about deck building games.

My soon-to-be wife likes card and board games a lot. One of her favorites is killer bunnies and we've tried some other competitive ones. I thought it would be fun to mix it up with some cooperative games so we aren't always playing against each other. I went to a shop and they suggested Legendary, which I picked up. I'm planning on playing it with her this weekend, but I had a couple questions. First - does anyone know of a good, succinct video that explains how to play? Also, if we enjoy this one is there another deck building game with a ton of replayability for 2 players?

Just wanted to follow up on my post here

First of all, thanks for the feedback everyone. That video made understanding the game really easy and we loved our first time playing the game. I'm also planning on looking into Aeon's End at some point.

We had an unfortunate incident yesterday. I got married on Friday (yay!) and we spent the evening and next day in Portland, OR downtown. I heard guardian games was great so I went down there. They were super helpful and got me to get Burgle Bros and the Dark City expansion. We walked the 30 min or so back to our hotel, opened Burgle Bros up and one of the room tiles was missing. I called them and they told me to "bring the game back down". I told my new wife I'd take an uber down there really quick and brb. Paid for the uber, but when I got down there they confirmed a piece was missing but wouldn't exchange or return it since it was opened.

This was really frustrating since they had told me to take it down there and I had paid for the uber.

Anyway, I emailed the creator of the game so hopefully they can mail me the missing piece? Not sure what other options I might have. I'm not even sure which room tile I'm missing since there's no master list. If anyone is familiar with Burgle Bro's and has any ideas, let me know! I've obviously never played it.

On a more positive note we played our second game of Legendary, this time with the Dark City expansion, and it was even better than the first. We're hooked!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to follow up on my post here

First of all, thanks for the feedback everyone. That video made understanding the game really easy and we loved our first time playing the game. I'm also planning on looking into Aeon's End at some point.

We had an unfortunate incident yesterday. I got married on Friday (yay!) and we spent the evening and next day in Portland, OR downtown. I heard guardian games was great so I went down there. They were super helpful and got me to get Burgle Bros and the Dark City expansion. We walked the 30 min or so back to our hotel, opened Burgle Bros up and one of the room tiles was missing. I called them and they told me to "bring the game back down". I told my new wife I'd take an uber down there really quick and brb. Paid for the uber, but when I got down there they confirmed a piece was missing but wouldn't exchange or return it since it was opened.

This was really frustrating since they had told me to take it down there and I had paid for the uber.

Anyway, I emailed the creator of the game so hopefully they can mail me the missing piece? Not sure what other options I might have. I'm not even sure which room tile I'm missing since there's no master list. If anyone is familiar with Burgle Bro's and has any ideas, let me know! I've obviously never played it.

On a more positive note we played our second game of Legendary, this time with the Dark City expansion, and it was even better than the first. We're hooked!

That sucks, but in my experience, game companies are really good about getting people replacement pieces.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Beat game 7 of hogwarts battle with my brother today, took two tries. Our first game was coming down to the wire and we just got super unlucky where we were at the final location and one of the villains was the "can't remove from the location" which basically sank our hoped.

Second game we got 3 very easy villains to start and I gifted my bro a lot of money so he could get a stacked deck, while I may a shitty deck and getting most of the horocruxes and rolling dice like mad. We steam rolled through the end of the game like it was nothing. Heighlight moment was watching my brother do 15 points of damage in one turn killing 3 villains.

Oct 25, 2017
Beat game 7 of hogwarts battle with my brother today, took two tries. Our first game was coming down to the wire and we just got super unlucky where we were at the final location and one of the villains was the "can't remove from the location" which basically sank our hoped.

Second game we got 3 very easy villains to start and I gifted my bro a lot of money so he could get a stacked deck, while I may a shitty deck and getting most of the horocruxes and rolling dice like mad. We steam rolled through the end of the game like it was nothing. Heighlight moment was watching my brother do 15 points of damage in one turn killing 3 villains.
The feeling of power late in game 7 is great in that regard. There's a turning point and you're like OH IT'S ON, NOW.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone have any advice for a light and breezy dungeon crawler; something much simpler than Descent or the D&D board games? I'm thinking of something along the lines of One Deck Dungeon, and not something about screwing over other players like Welcome to the Dungeon or Cutthroat Caverns.

I'm also interested in a light fantasy adventure game. I looked into Runebound and the Legends of Andor, but they seem to play pretty similarly to Mage Knight, and I'd rather play that instead.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any advice for a light and breezy dungeon crawler; something much simpler than Descent or the D&D board games? I'm thinking of something along the lines of One Deck Dungeon, and not something about screwing over other players like Welcome to the Dungeon or Cutthroat Caverns.

I'm also interested in a light fantasy adventure game. I looked into Runebound and the Legends of Andor, but they seem to play pretty similarly to Mage Knight, and I'd rather play that instead.

Bargain Quest. It's pretty light and very thematic and easy to appeal to less experienced gamers. You're not controlling adventurers but you're selling items to them and they'll go into dungeons to fight the monster.

Wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something that can be also deep and balanced though, it's a drafting game with very few cards in each draft so luck plays a significant factor.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think that it really works as a dungeon crawler, but I already have Bargain Quest on my wishlist. It has a lot of really neat ideas going on, and I love the way it looks. The problem is that unless I can find it in a local shop, the game is Kickstarter-only and that's a major turnoff. I know that the expansion has a Kickstarter running right now, but buying physical games off of Kickstarter is an incredible pain, and I'm not willing to do it.

On the topic of board game Kickstarters, I'm not sure I'm a fan of them in principle. On one hand, it allows all sorts of developers to release their games without being beholden to publishers. But the problem is that this means it hasn't gone through the same level of editing and playtesting so there's a good chance that such games will have more serious design problems than a properly published game. I've also noticed a tendency for Kickstarter games to bloat with content and miniatures, and they get way more expensive than they really should be. A game like Cthulhu Wars looks great, but it comes with a million pounds of plastic miniatures so it ends being prohibitively expensive. The propensity for Kickstarter-exclusive content is a further issue.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So me and wife have recently gotten into competitive deck building games. We bought 7 Wonders Duel and Monopoly Deal and have a lot of fun with it. I was looking online for some more games with deck-building themes like Dominion, Clank, etc. Any suggestions for something with a lot replay value / not-too difficult mechanics? Looking for mostly 2p competitive games because we like going against each other.

In addition to the other recommendations, I'd also like to mention Dale of Merchants. It has a sequel; either can be played stand alone, or you can mix the different faction decks between the two games. Each deck has a mechanic theme to it (steal card from another player, peek at the draw pile, etc). My wife and I really enjoy it. She is not a big board gamer, but this was easy for her to learn, and she loves this (though she loves Monopoly Deal more).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that it really works as a dungeon crawler, but I already have Bargain Quest on my wishlist. It has a lot of really neat ideas going on, and I love the way it looks. The problem is that unless I can find it in a local shop, the game is Kickstarter-only and that's a major turnoff. I know that the expansion has a Kickstarter running right now, but buying physical games off of Kickstarter is an incredible pain, and I'm not willing to do it.

On the topic of board game Kickstarters, I'm not sure I'm a fan of them in principle. On one hand, it allows all sorts of developers to release their games without being beholden to publishers. But the problem is that this means it hasn't gone through the same level of editing and playtesting so there's a good chance that such games will have more serious design problems than a properly published game. I've also noticed a tendency for Kickstarter games to bloat with content and miniatures, and they get way more expensive than they really should be. A game like Cthulhu Wars looks great, but it comes with a million pounds of plastic miniatures so it ends being prohibitively expensive. The propensity for Kickstarter-exclusive content is a further issue.
I mean, most board game kickstarters that are any good have detailed videos about how they play and you can formulate good ideas about them.
Also, the publisher editing and playtesting can be a bad thing. I have a friend who got a game published through Mayfair. In the testing phase they did come up with an idea that he liked and added, but they also came up with a few things that he actively disliked and after playing the game the way they printed it, and the way he wanted it, I'm in complete agreement the way he wanted it is better. But I mean, there are also a ton of kickstarter games that go through way more testing than any traditional publisher would ever put it through.

but uh, yeah the mini games aren't typically well playtested at all.
but a lot of the publisher ones aren't either. They tend to in general focus on cool ideas instead of good gameplay.

some are legitimately amazing games, but in general the mini games sell for their minis anymore and not because they are awesome games.

There are a ton of great Kickstarter board games out there that likely would have never been picked up by traditional publishers. And with companies like Asmodee buying up companies left and right, I'm personally very grateful that something like kickstarter exists for board games so that the market wasn't just dictated by a few companies.

hopefully this post makes any sort of sense... I am tired and posting ideas but I don't know if they are flowing well at all lol.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
Bargain Quest. It's pretty light and very thematic and easy to appeal to less experienced gamers. You're not controlling adventurers but you're selling items to them and they'll go into dungeons to fight the monster.

Wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something that can be also deep and balanced though, it's a drafting game with very few cards in each draft so luck plays a significant factor.
worth noting its second print + expansion kickstarters currently live

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bargainquest/bargain-quest-second-printing-the-black-market-exp

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

One Deck dungeon is a lot of dice rolling and light keeping tabst ofof stu but it's incredibly easy to play and goes by quick

Honestly the best game that comes to mind immediately is 5 minute dungeon. It's inexpensive, incredibly easy to learn and setup.

You have a dungeon deck with cards that you flip and they have some combination of 4 symbols on them, and you want to match those symbols with cards in your hand.

No player turns, just everyone playing cards to beat monsters and get the deck rolling. It's worked great for my game groups of all ages with all levels of experience

Oct 25, 2017
That seems quite cool, but $60 is a very hard sell for hoping the algorithm will give you a good game AND the amount of components shown. For $30 or even $40 I'd almost certainly jump in.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
That seems quite cool, but $60 is a very hard sell for hoping the algorithm will give you a good game AND the amount of components shown. For $30 or even $40 I'd almost certainly jump in.
I completely agree. I didn't see the $60 price tag when I first posted. That changes this from an insta-try to a "wait for a bunch of reviews" purchase.

What I really wanted out of this, after seeing the teaser and some other speculation, was a new co-op LCG in the vein of 7th Continent.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I think this "unique game" concept is neat when it is a CCG, but I wonder if they aren't trying to solve a problem that doesn't need to be solved when applying it to other games. I never thought to myself, "Wow! I wish my friend's copy and mine were slightly different!". I just don't think it will be different enough AND balanced enough to matter. But, I would love to be proven wrong here. I guess I am just a bit skeptical, Plus, as others have said, for the price, I am almost certainly not buying multiple copies anyway.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I completely agree. I didn't see the $60 price tag when I first posted. That changes this from an insta-try to a "wait for a bunch of reviews" purchase.

What I really wanted out of this, after seeing the teaser and some other speculation, was a new co-op LCG in the vein of 7th Continent.

A 7th continent style lcg is something I didn't know I wanted, until you said it. Why you do this :(

I think this "unique game" concept is neat when it is a CCG, but I wonder if they aren't trying to solve a problem that doesn't need to be solved when applying it to other games. I never thought to myself, "Wow! I wish my friend's copy and mine were slightly different!". I just don't think it will be different enough AND balanced enough to matter. But, I would love to be proven wrong here. I guess I am just a bit skeptical, Plus, as others have said, for the price, I am almost certainly not buying multiple copies anyway.

I think I prefer this unique game approach to what we're seeing with stuff like charterstone or machi koro legacy. I'm not sure how excited I am to play a game 5-12 times just to build a final board I can replay endlessly that's uniquely my own over just buying a unique board.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
A 7th continent style lcg is something I didn't know I wanted, until you said it. Why you do this :(
Sorry. :(

I think I prefer this unique game approach to what we're seeing with stuff like charterstone or machi koro legacy. I'm not sure how excited I am to play a game 5-12 times just to build a final board I can replay endlessly that's uniquely my own over just buying a unique board.
I think the benefit of something like Charterstone or any other 'legacy' game is that there are a finite number of combinations of things that can be done, whereas a 'unique' game has a lot more variability and probably isn't playtested for every different random combination of cards that is released. I could totally be wrong on that, and FFG might have playtested the shit out of this game and every combination. But I think that's where a lot of the doubt comes in, especially at a $60 price point.

I guess we'll see in a couple months when this releases. If reviews across the board are favorable, then maybe I'll jump in with a copy. If it's hit or miss, then I'll probably take a pass.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
FFG's not going to let Keyforge be the only "Unique" game this year.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/13/discover-lands-unknown/

Sounds interesting!

I totally called it! Though I was off on my timing.
Keyforge appears to be the first game in their new line of "Unique Games".
I'm guessing we'll see at least one more title announced this weekend, that is part of this line. Possibly Discovery: Lands Unknown.

I'm hyped for this. Thematically it reminds me of The 7th Continent, but I love the idea that no two boxes are the same. I wonder if boxes can be combined or components can be traded. I might as well give FFG my bank account details at this point, between Arkham Horror 3rd ed., Keyforge and now this...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've done quite a bit with procedural content generation in the past, and what gets put out is only as good as what the pieces are and what the algorithm is being forced to do.

As I mentioned elsewhere when I was talking about Keyforge, I have to believe these algorithms at least have clamps in place to ensure everything generated allows players to have fun with it. It's a bad business model to think if you sold someone a bad $60 experience, they'd turn around and buy another because maybe the new one will be fun or even recommend it to someone else, so they have to at least be making sure the base rules included provide a level of fun. I'm going to guess biomes are the most limited piece, and characters are the most abundant. Stories and events are probably linked in a number of cases. It's technically a much easier puzzle to solve than when you do this digitally. Not saying it's easy by means, based on my experiences doing this years ago, but I'm able to wrap my head around how it can work and be fun.

I'll probably buy two copies, just to see the differences between them.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017

Bargain Quest is Recetear in a board game. It's crazy how similar the two games are.

My thoughts on Discover Lands Unknown on bgg:
This game hits a lot of boxes for me:

1) Good artwork
2) Exploration (I love turning over tiles to find out what I discover)
3) Dealing with random events
4) Corey Konieckza (one of my favorite designers)

Pretty much a must buy, but I want to know more about how to expand my game.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
One Deck dungeon is a lot of dice rolling and light keeping tabst ofof stu but it's incredibly easy to play and goes by quick

Honestly the best game that comes to mind immediately is 5 minute dungeon. It's inexpensive, incredibly easy to learn and setup.

You have a dungeon deck with cards that you flip and they have some combination of 4 symbols on them, and you want to match those symbols with cards in your hand.

No player turns, just everyone playing cards to beat monsters and get the deck rolling. It's worked great for my game groups of all ages with all levels of experience
I'm afraid that a real time game isn't what I'm looking for at all. Besides, despite how the game may be themed, it's not going to feel like a proper dungeon crawl at all. 5-Minute Dungeon doesn't look like a bad game, but it's not fulfilling my tick boxes at the moment.

I agree. The idea of having a unique deck of cards to take on opponents with unique decks of cards is pretty cool, but what's the point of having a game board that's different from anyone else's? You don't normally go around comparing your boards with other people's so what's actually being accomplished here?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they could do cheaper "adventure packs" for Unknown Lands that let you buy just the unique bits without having to rebuy the dials and tokens and whatnot that'd be kind of cool. I guess at that point it's just the Time Stories model, but with "random" content instead of authored content. Which I guess seems worse? Also, there not being a way to ensure you don't get a similarly themed adventure from such a product is a pretty big issue. Like it'd be a bummer if you spent 40 dollars and got another "stuck on a mountain" adventure with a cave to the left instead of the right.