• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
i really shouldn't drop the cash now, but Batman looks damn good

life is gonna get busy for literally a couple years... do these things generally get a second printing on KS?
It's hard to say.

A number of games run another kickstarter with an expansion and include a lot of the previous kickstarter stuff.
but some are just run once and are done. Especially with something like a batman license it could prove tricky to run another kickstarter in a few years unless they had planned to from the start. I'm not sure if they have commented on it at all.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's hard to say.

A number of games run another kickstarter with an expansion and include a lot of the previous kickstarter stuff.
but some are just run once and are done. Especially with something like a batman license it could prove tricky to run another kickstarter in a few years unless they had planned to from the start. I'm not sure if they have commented on it at all.

On top of the rights issue that could prevent a second printing this game basically has every damn thing you could want for Batman and I dunno if you can find enough content to warrant an expansion.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
On top of the rights issue that could prevent a second printing this game basically has every damn thing you could want for Batman and I dunno if you can find enough content to warrant an expansion.
I mean if there is enough demand they could do one in general
see gloomhaven or 7th continent or various others.

but I could see the batman license being a hurdle in the future. Rights owners tend to draw up very specific uses for the rights, which could easily exclude a second printing, and then given the success of this run could easily demand more money for the rights for a second printing.

though perhaps they thought about a second printing possibility from the start and have that in the contract. it's impossible to say without knowing what they did.

I have a friend getting it so I will just play their copy so I never bothered looking into it much.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Starting a Gloomhaven 4 player campaign tomorrow, I've played the first couple scenarios 2 player. But I'm excited to start a 4 player, I just hope the people I play with are reliable and we can actually make this a semi-regular thing.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone looked into terrors of London? Im a sucker for the theme, the game looks well designed, but not sure about a 1v1 deck builder. Haven't played star realms or anything like that before.

Oct 25, 2017
The only Kickstarter stuff I know of is Endeavor and Rise of Fenris (which I guess is a preorder rather than a Kickstarter).

*edit* I forgot Tiny Epic Zombies.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get rid of some board games to free up space/get some cash for more board games.

I plan on posting in the BST thread officially as well, but I figured I'd list this here (was told it's alright). haven't figured out prices on anything yet, but if anyone is interested in anything here let me know.

I'm not looking to make a big profit on anything, just clear up some space and cover a Kickstarter or two

XCOM the Board Game
Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil
Descent 2nd Edition + Lair of the Wyrm Expansion
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Conan
Resident Evil Deck Building Game: Mercenaries
Munchkin Deluxe
Blood Bowl Team Manager Card Game

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I spent this morning organizing and sorting gloomhaven pieces so when I finally play it'll be much easier
C362453_C_F712_4820_B5_BE_14_AE0927_C5_CA.jpg

This is fairly old (by that i mean it was posted in January) but it came up in a google search on how to organize Board Games so I wanted to say thank you! Needed ideas on how best to organize some games and this is a fantastic idea on how to go about it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarters that should be delivered in 2018:

The 7th Continent: What Goes Up, Must Come Down expansion
Sorcerer
Time of Legends: Joan of Arc
Folklore: The Affliction
Agents of Mayhem: The Pride of Babylon (I was a lead designer on the video game and had some on input on the board game)
Dice Throne: Season Two
Fireball Island
Court of the Dead
Shadowrun Sprawl Ops
Dungeon Degenerates Hand of Doom
Thunderstone Quest (did the pledge where I get the base game this year)
Call to Adventure (have my doubts it'll make this year)
Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon

Games I have preordered:

Keyforge (lots of it)
Discover: Lands Unknown (getting two copies)
Betrayal Legacy (I'm surprised this isn't on more people's lists)
The Reckoners
Founders of Gloomhaven
Gloomhaven Forgotten Circles Expansion
Before There Were Stars...
Marvel Strike Teams
Forbidden Sky
Horizons
Critical Mass
English edition of Ganz schön clever
Clank! In Space! Apocalypse

I have a problem

Oct 25, 2017
This is fairly old (by that i mean it was posted in January) but it came up in a google search on how to organize Board Games so I wanted to say thank you! Needed ideas on how best to organize some games and this is a fantastic idea on how to go about it.

Yep Plano boxes are fantastic for game storage and pretty cheap st places like dick sporting goods and Walmart

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarters that should be delivered in 2018:

The 7th Continent: What Goes Up, Must Come Down expansion
Sorcerer
Time of Legends: Joan of Arc
Folklore: The Affliction
Agents of Mayhem: The Pride of Babylon (I was a lead designer on the video game and had some on input on the board game)
Dice Throne: Season Two
Fireball Island
Court of the Dead
Shadowrun Sprawl Ops
Dungeon Degenerates Hand of Doom
Thunderstone Quest (did the pledge where I get the base game this year)
Call to Adventure (have my doubts it'll make this year)
Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon

Games I have preordered:

Keyforge (lots of it)
Discover: Lands Unknown (getting two copies)
Betrayal Legacy (I'm surprised this isn't on more people's lists)
The Reckoners
Founders of Gloomhaven
Gloomhaven Forgotten Circles Expansion
Before There Were Stars...
Marvel Strike Teams
Forbidden Sky
Horizons
Critical Mass
English edition of Ganz schön clever
Clank! In Space! Apocalypse

I have a problem

Dude I loved Agents of mayhem

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Finally played Gloom tonight after buying it years ago. Really fun. Would probably be better at lower player counts. We played with 5. I think 2 or 3 would be quite fun. There are probably too many characters to keep track of with 4 or 5 players (we did 5 players) and only a fraction of the characters on the table were made memorable by some interesting stories invented around the table. But it was enjoyable. Mechanically it's only interesting because of the theme and story telling, so have fun with it or be bored, your choice.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone looked into terrors of London? Im a sucker for the theme, the game looks well designed, but not sure about a 1v1 deck builder. Haven't played star realms or anything like that before.

Thanks for mentioning this, I'll probably grab it. My gf and I love deckbuilders so having another quick one in addition to star realms is great.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got star realms starter and the colony wars stand alone sets. I know it's best at 2 but how are the 3-6 player variants and do I need anything else to do them?

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Finally played Gloom tonight after buying it years ago. Really fun. Would probably be better at lower player counts. We played with 5. I think 2 or 3 would be quite fun. There are probably too many characters to keep track of with 4 or 5 players (we did 5 players) and only a fraction of the characters on the table were made memorable by some interesting stories invented around the table. But it was enjoyable. Mechanically it's only interesting because of the theme and story telling, so have fun with it or be bored, your choice.
Yeah one thing I've learned over the years is that for adventure games less is more when it comes to player counts. It sort of frustrates me actually.. Every game seems to scale difficulty UP to a degree when increasing player counts. But at the same time by default you're increasing the number of actions/turns being taken in the game, for combat games increasing the numbers of combat instances, and usually enemies, etc. So you're now taking a 90 minute game and suddenly it's 3 hours. 2 hour game and you're now looking at 4 hours and you might not even finish it. I know some say things like "everyone has to stay focused, plan out your turn in advance, user a timer to limit analysis paralysis" and such, but those are just band aids to the fact that these adventure games really become unmanageable when scaling above 2-3 players.. ok, not unmanageable.. but yes you have to expect that 90 minute gaming session to actually be 3 hours when playing with 6 instead of 2.

But after all of these years (going back to us playing Talisman in the 80s), I've just come to understand that that's the genre.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dude I loved Agents of mayhem

That's awesome! I love to find people that have actually played the game. Better when they actually enjoyed it, too.

Yeah one thing I've learned over the years is that for adventure games less is more when it comes to player counts. It sort of frustrates me actually.. Every game seems to scale difficulty UP to a degree when increasing player counts. But at the same time by default you're increasing the number of actions/turns being taken in the game, for combat games increasing the numbers of combat instances, and usually enemies, etc. So you're now taking a 90 minute game and suddenly it's 3 hours. 2 hour game and you're now looking at 4 hours and you might not even finish it. I know some say things like "everyone has to stay focused, plan out your turn in advance, user a timer to limit analysis paralysis" and such, but those are just band aids to the fact that these adventure games really become unmanageable when scaling above 2-3 players.. ok, not unmanageable.. but yes you have to expect that 90 minute gaming session to actually be 3 hours when playing with 6 instead of 2.

But after all of these years (going back to us playing Talisman in the 80s), I've just come to understand that that's the genre.

I think he was talking about Gloom, not Gloomhaven. xD

Not that it invalidates what you wrote when it comes to adventure games.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought I'd asked for advice: I've been thinking about writing a review for a game for a while now, but not being that much of a writer, I'm not really sure how to make it without coming across as amateurish. Can anyone who has had experience with writing them give a few pointers on what and what not to do?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I thought I'd asked for advice: I've been thinking about writing a review for a game for a while now, but not being that much of a writer, I'm not really sure how to make it without coming across as amateurish. Can anyone who has had experience with writing them give a few pointers on what and what not to do?

Yeah! That's great. I love reviewing games and hope to get back into it soon. Here are a few things I try to make sure I do when doing a full review.

1) Include pictures. Not just staged pictures, either. Unless specifically staging fun moments from a play you had.

2) Decide how much of an overview of the game you want to give. You don't need to rewrite the rulebook.

3) Talk about mechanics in terms of how they speak to you, and provide references to other games that have similar mechanics. Mention if you feel that are better or worse in the game you're reviewing, and why. Since it's so subjective, references help people determine how a game may be for them.

4) Have fun with the writing. Be lame, make dad jokes, whatever. Don't just write an essay... unless you're doing that as a funny theme. You can be informative and still have fun with the review.

5) Include pictures!

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could have got in on Agents of Mayhem. The pledge manager ended right around the time I had just started a new job and I had to go six weeks u too my first paycheck, so I wasn't able to add anything more than my dollar. It had a short pledge manager though because they needed to get numbers quick for production, so I understand it. I was pretty salty that Daisy didn't make it into the game though; I love any character that has a rockabilly vibe to them.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could have got in on Agents of Mayhem. The pledge manager ended right around the time I had just started a new job and I had to go six weeks u too my first paycheck, so I wasn't able to add anything more than my dollar. It had a short pledge manager though because they needed to get numbers quick for production, so I understand it. I was pretty salty that Daisy didn't make it into the game though; I love any character that has a rockabilly vibe to them.

You can still preorder it!

https://app.crowdox.com/projects/617871702/agents-of-mayhem-pride-of-babylon

I, too, was disappointed that we didn't end up getting the full selection of Agents, seeing as I was the lead Agent designer. :(

The mechanics in the board game are really cool, though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So I randomly wound up with copies of flickemup and Catan Star Trek(beat up box, game is all there though) this weekend. Now to finally play a full game of catan... if I can get the people to play it with me XD

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
funny that you ask this as I was just thinking of video reviews (I know you said writing).

Video reviews/articles on tabletop gaming are nearly impossible for me to watch... I don't know why. I think there's this preponderance to make these 8-12 minute reviews covering everything.. but having come mostly from only watching movie and video game reviews my entire life.. I have no patience for tabletop reviewers to go over every asset, mechanic, etc in a tabletop game.

Then you have written reviews.. which are usually readable and well written.. but often come off as basically explanations of the game.. without a lot of "this is what I liked, this is what I disliked". Note I'm talking about gaming sites.. not like BGG posts.

I actually find it very difficult finding a good review outlet for tabletop gaming. And that's not a criticism. More of a frustration. I'm not going to criticize people talking passionately (and in great depth) about a game they love (or hate). Nor am I going to criticize people making things more accessible and objective (even if sounding like marketing).

Just weird that for video games I can usually find around 6-7 trusted succinct reviews giving opinions (maybe the same, maybe opposing) for a game.. movies like 1000 opinions (mostly succinct), but for games.. it's either a broad overview of the game.. or like some impassioned 15 minute thesis.

You can still preorder it!

https://app.crowdox.com/projects/617871702/agents-of-mayhem-pride-of-babylon

I, too, was disappointed that we didn't end up getting the full selection of Agents, seeing as I was the lead Agent designer. :(

The mechanics in the board game are really cool, though.
man I wish you hadn't linked that. :P Saw this at GenCon... between the actual three dimensions and the procedurally generated missions/levels.. this looks outstanding. really need to pull back though, between GenCon spending and hitting both Cthulhu Death May Die and Batman GCC in the last two weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish board games had hard release dates like video games . When the release date is just "'month" it drives me nuts! I have a few "August" preorder and wish I had more info

Oh well

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I wish board games had hard release dates like video games . When the release date is just "'month" it drives me nuts! I have a few "August" preorder and wish I had more info

Oh well
Try waiting for a galeforce9 expansion. I have one of the doctor who expansions preordered but it was supposed to release in May. So maybe before Christmas if we're lucky.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then you have written reviews.. which are usually readable and well written.. but often come off as basically explanations of the game.. without a lot of "this is what I liked, this is what I disliked". Note I'm talking about gaming sites.. not like BGG posts.

I actually find it very difficult finding a good review outlet for tabletop gaming.

I dislike video reviews of boardgames for similar reasons as you, but I think there are some really good reviewers on BGG undeerneath it all, they might not always be reviewing games I like them to though lol...

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1) Don't rehash the rules in detail

2) Don't rehash the rules in detail

3) Don't rehash the rules in detail

4) If you review on BGG - don't write a review for a game that already has 50 reviews if your piece doesn't add anything of value (which it might)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Oh well
given the shipping it's hard to predict... so the only way you could do hard dates would be instead of august they would have to slip it to sept... but then it would also require having storage for them ect.
board games are much bigger in size than video games, and you can't store an unlimited amount so a lot of them are just when they show up ship them.

1) Don't rehash the rules in detail

2) Don't rehash the rules in detail

3) Don't rehash the rules in detail

4) If you review on BGG - don't write a review for a game that already has 50 reviews if your piece doesn't add anything of value (which it might)

but about the only reviews I watch is rehash the rules in detail because I want to know how it plays and what the rules are.
I really don't care if a particular person found it fun or not >.>

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
but about the only reviews I watch is rehash the rules in detail because I want to know how it plays and what the rules are.
I really don't care if a particular person found it fun or not >.>

So what you want is a rules video, not the review, right? :) What Rupetta's saying is a lot of boardgame videos conflate the two - can't have a review without a rules recap.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I hate when reviews gets to bogged down in rules explanations. I prefer to get a good feel for what makes the game interesting. I much prefer shut up & sit down to most video reviewers. Even when I don't agree with them, I can usually pick up on whether I'd find the game interesting or not, and they actually have personality so that I'm not bored right out of my skull while watching.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So what you want is a rules video, not the review, right? :) What Rupetta's saying is a lot of boardgame videos conflate the two - can't have a review without a rules recap.
Mostly I prefer stuff like the dice tower videos which go into some of the rules in detail (enough to get a good idea of how the game plays but not all of them)
so might not quite be the rehash rules in detail in general, but in general I don't care what the dice tower people say at the end, though in general they do a decent job of trying to keep their own personal views seperate of it by saying stuff like "I personally don't want to play this game again but if you like games like blah it will likely be something you want to look into)

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I posted in the discord but it appears as if Coolstuff is taking preorders for Keyforge stuff, the starter set and the decks.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
When is Root coming to stores? I wish I had gone for a copy during the Kickstarter. :(
On the subject of playmats, FFG just announced one for Heroes of Terrinoth.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/20/prepare-for-adventure-2/
Man, I want to be excited since this is essentially the same game as Warhammer Adventure Card game, but it looks visually so ... goddamn ...boring. Terrinoth is such a boring fantasy world it bores to me to even say the name Terrinoth.

Oct 28, 2017
When is Root coming to stores? I wish I had gone for a copy during the Kickstarter. :(
You can buy the base game now through the publishers website.

https://leder-games.myshopify.com/products/root-a-game-of-woodland-might-and-right

I would still consider the expansion whenever that releases, but the base game has a lot of game in it and will easily tide you over until the expansion is available.

I've got a game of it lined up on Thursday and Monday Bank Hol in the UK haha. Looking at Cube Libre now! :o
Good choice. You can definitely see the COIN inspiration in Root so, yeah, Cuba Libre makes for a good next step into the COIN series.