• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Is everyone new? New players don't really know what they are doing to put it plainly. I can't even imagine what kind of board state there is if no one is buying riverboats or mercs for 1 and cards for 1 and 2. I have played a lot, dozens and dozens of games, and the Riverfolk have no trouble winning.

Cats vs Lizards vs Vagabond vs Riverfolk

I guess most people were new-ish. Cats were going for Domination at the end and fighting off Lizards who spread everywhere and the Vagabond was getting (and won with) Alliance points with the Cats. My Riverfolk could only get up to 24 points. When I got nearish to 20, no one wanted to give me warriors. A few cards in the beginning were bought at one or two but towards end game, no one was really buying anything unless it was an Ambush. Someone would be about to buy riverboat but realized they didn't need it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I just watched the dice tower's review of the 7th guest and wow, I can't believe this is a real game people kickstarted.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, I need to get around to playing The 7th Guest. Hopefully it's not as bad as this game appears to be.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The wait for Aeon's End Legacy from Canada is long and painful ;_;

Also, my first and last attempt at making a custom foamcore insert (for Orleans) ended in disaster. I am too impatient and inaccurate with my measurements, and I ended up with a bunch of superglue stuck on my fingers. All because I wanted to fit the expansions into the core box. I'll just stick to plano boxes...

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Also, my first and last attempt at making a custom foamcore insert (for Orleans) ended in disaster. I am too impatient and inaccurate with my measurements, and I ended up with a bunch of superglue stuck on my fingers. All because I wanted to fit the expansions into the core box. I'll just stick to plano boxes...

Superglue for a foamcore insert? Just use a hot glue gun

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Quick questions about Android Netrunner datapacks:

Can you cherry pick which sets to buy, or do you need to buy them in order of the specific cycle? I noticed that the packs have 1-60/61-90/etc. of the cards.

Also, I saw that the winning decks from the tourney are sold, as well. Are these worth picking up?

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017

Can you cherry pick which sets to buy, or do you need to buy them in order of the specific cycle? I noticed that the packs have 1-60/61-90/etc. of the cards.

Also, I saw that the winning decks from the tourney are sold, as well. Are these worth picking up?

You can buy in any order, yes.
Ive never bought any, but its my underatanding that the tourney decks are just a specific set of cards that you can get from buying datapacks anyway so I suppose it depends on how deep you were going to dive into the packs and how many copies/overlap you need.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

nope, that's just card numbering for easier reference. you can cherry pick all you want. there are some guides out there for what to buy, it's typically a variety of things.

I suppose the tourney decks are good if you want to get into the game with some well-made decks to learn from, but IMO it's not necessary.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Anybody here played Horrific Journeys, the latest Mansions of Madness 2nd edition expansion? Is it any good? I wonder if the included scenarios are worth it.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for apps advancing board game design. A gaming having an app actually makes me more intrigued most of the time.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You can buy in any order, yes.
Ive never bought any, but its my underatanding that the tourney decks are just a specific set of cards that you can get from buying datapacks anyway so I suppose it depends on how deep you were going to dive into the packs and how many copies/overlap you need.
nope, that's just card numbering for easier reference. you can cherry pick all you want. there are some guides out there for what to buy, it's typically a variety of things.

I suppose the tourney decks are good if you want to get into the game with some well-made decks to learn from, but IMO it's not necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm all for apps advancing board game design. A gaming having an app actually makes me more intrigued most of the time.

We are such opposites. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Any app integration is a strong factor in making me want to ignore a game. I understand people are different, but I'm at least one person who prefers pure unelectronic game and human interaction if I'm playing a game. Other people have other priorities.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely games where the app enhances the game, and creates an experience that could not be done in the game without the app.

Examples of this in my collection: Alchemists, Chronicles of Crime, Mansions of Madness

I totally understand people not wanting to bring technology into analog gaming, but I personally embrace technology, and the things that it can add to the hobby.

Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely games where the app enhances the game, and creates an experience that could not be done in the game without the app.

Examples of this in my collection: Alchemists, Chronicles of Crime, Mansions of Madness

I totally understand people not wanting to bring technology into analog gaming, but I personally embrace technology, and the things that it can add to the hobby.
And that's understandable, as long as you also tolerate the other viewpoint of the many people who specifically enjoy the analog board game experience, and acknowledge that it's not a bad thing (as you seem to acknowledge).

What bothers me is that it almost feels like people who do enjoy apps tend to proselytize them heavily, as though they feel anyone who doesn't like using a cell phone during a game is wrong and needs to see the light in some sense.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I like apps in games such as mansions of madness or rising 5 as it gets the game to the table often since the app lets the game be full coop as opposed to a 1 vs all game. The One Night Ultimate series is vasly improved by having the app which does the narrator role without someone having to watch others have fun.

I'm not as big of a fan for apps in games like the unlock series. I enjoy the (good) unlock games, but I find the nature of going back and forth between the card and the app to be cumbersome and I wish unlock was just a series of escape room app games.

Of course this issue could also be applied to other app empowered games. Mansions of madness is a game I wish at times I could play without needing to set up the board, roll all the dice, keep track of my health and action points used in a round.

I do hope we see apps/games in the future that can fill in 1-2 players in games that need larger player counts like captain sonar or deception murder in hong kong.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this issue could also be applied to other app empowered games. Mansions of madness is a game I wish at times I could play without needing to set up the board, roll all the dice, keep track of my health and action points used in a round.
I've never seen this, but a friend told me there's someone on Youtube who didn't know Mansions was a companion app to the board game, and just played, using only the app. I wish I could find it, because I bet it's hilarious!

Actually, I think I found it! I wish it had audio narration though. I wonder what he was thinking.

Last edited:

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I'm super excited by the idea of the new LOTR one as someone who reaaaally wanted to get into the LOTR:LCG for the setting but never totally clicked with the gameplay.

Though I am torn on app driven games, tried MOM but it felt like the whole game could just be played in the app with some additions - I was just left wondering why I even needed the physical board at all.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Three games I played for the first time recently:

Gizmos: A science experiment themed game, you use energy marbles (housed in a fun-looking dispenser) to buy machines. The goal is to create chain reactions, where one action triggers your passive ones. It can be a bit overwhelming once you buy a red machine and realize that you get a point, and you get to draw an energy, and if you draw a blue energy you get to draw ANOTHER energy etc. The goal is to rack up the most points by buying machines and using skills to gain additional ones. It's a pretty dynamic game, your strategy changes constantly throughout the game. I felt like some of the icons were not very clear though, it can be confusing for first time players.

Colt Express: Wild West train robbery focusing on baiting and deceiving others. Everyone is aboard a train with loot scattered about, and the goal is to have the most money by the end. You play action cards (move, attack, take money etc.), but some are seen by players and others are secret. You play a few actions, but they occur backwards, so you play your final action first when placing down the cards. You have to predict what others will do in order to come up on top. I feel like you play too many actions at once so there will eventually be a degree of randomness and pointless turns. The art style was also pretty boring. I didn't really like this one.

Hanabi: A co-op card game where you try to get the highest score possible by playing fireworks cards sequentially. Like in Indian Poker, you can see other people's cards but not your own. Other people can give hints, but there is a limited amount. I felt like this was very easy to learn but difficult to get a perfect score. There's a fun bit of tension, hoping that players understood your hint and thinking carefully about which card you want to toss. I liked this so much I bought it myself. It seems like a fun game to play with anyone, and since it's co-op it's nice to work towards a common goal instead of compete.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

No no no. You can do it! Just use Elmer's glue. I use their Wood Glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-E7290...=1547349438&sr=8-1&keywords=elmer's+wood+glue

Use pins to hold the pieces together after you place it.

First few I made, I stressed so much about dimensions, having it planned out. Don't worry about that so much unless it's going to be a difficult organization. Just take a couple minutes to consider the components and then make it as you go. I'd definitely watch a couple tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfKaDX2P2k

Yeah I skip anything related to apps as well. I spend the rest of my days staring at screens already.

Same.
First of all, I don't like the idea of smartphones. If I want to get on the computer, I can wait till the evening when my son goes to bed. I don't need to drag that with me everywhere.
But also, as fast as phones change, break, or require updating, how long can I count on an app being accessible? It certainly won't last as long as cardboard on a shelf. Call me crazy, but I would vastly prefer what they did in the old days, where a simple electronic device is included in the box. Probably not the best example, but I saw my nieces playing 'Dreamphone' from the 90s. That shit still works brilliantly. Now that's a huge component, but a much smaller device for calculations and decision prompts could easily be achievable right? I feel that any part of a game that's required to play it should be included in the box. With raspberry pis being a cheap fairly common mini computer, you'd think a simple calculator type device that could aid in game progression could simply be included. Yeah, the app is easier for them, more cost effective, I get it, but considering my stance on smart phones, app driven games are out of my reach.

Another thing though, if it requires a screen, why not just make it a video board game?

Anyway, when I hear 'app driven' I utterly avoid it.

I hope they make Mansions of Madness analog again someday. I'd love to try it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Same.
First of all, I don't like the idea of smartphones. If I want to get on the computer, I can wait till the evening when my son goes to bed. I don't need to drag that with me everywhere.
But also, as fast as phones change, break, or require updating, how long can I count on an app being accessible? It certainly won't last as long as cardboard on a shelf. Call me crazy, but I would vastly prefer what they did in the old days, where a simple electronic device is included in the box. Probably not the best example, but I saw my nieces playing 'Dreamphone' from the 90s. That shit still works brilliantly. Now that's a huge component, but a much smaller device for calculations and decision prompts could easily be achievable right? I feel that any part of a game that's required to play it should be included in the box. With raspberry pis being a cheap fairly common mini computer, you'd think a simple calculator type device that could aid in game progression could simply be included. Yeah, the app is easier for them, more cost effective, I get it, but considering my stance on smart phones, app driven games are out of my reach.

Another thing though, if it requires a screen, why not just make it a video board game?

1. There is zero reason to worry about Mansions of Madness, there is a PC version so the app will last indefinitely as even if fantasy flight goes under fans will keep it working on future systems.

2. A simple electronic device wouldn't do what the Mansions app does, to put a device able to do such things you would likely need to put a $20-$30 device in the box. Mansions doesn't do a simple randomizer, but also alters the story/puzzles. It couldn't merely be a video board game since across all of the missions thousands of things get changed, you would lost basically all replayability, while as it is you can replay the same mission a few times and have very different experiences.

3. The app is cheaper, easier for them, and able to be updated if there are issues, and able to have new content added without needing to send anything down a production line.

Main point. While I can't disagree that it wouldn't be that hard to remove the board completely from mansions (though the board helps it be co op with people moving things around) going the other way, and including everything in the box would increase production costs quite a bit as the App does way more than a simple electronic device could, and thus you would basically need to include a way to run the app in the box. It's way more cost effective for both sides if you just let people get the app on their phone or PC and run it from there.

finally, if you want to play a version of mansions without an app there is always the first edition. Even ignoring the app's ability to randomize things in scenarios, a purely analog version of the second edition would be a giant mess. You would need cards for every single point of interest and markers for them on the map. You would need a scenerio book so you can look up what happens on each turn. You would need to add decks for each monster, and for each player to randomize attacks. And also decks for each monster for the horror checks. You would need to have a large book for the dialogue of the NPCs just to get anywhere near how the game currently feels, and I'm sure various other things I'm forgetting.

Oct 28, 2017
In regards to the tournament winning decks. They contain the same cards you would find in the data packs but with alternate art.

As far as the quality of the decks, they are like a snapshot of what the competitive meta was at the time. If you could even find them, I would say the Corp deck (HB) is probably the best for newer players. It's the most straight forward deck to run. The runner deck (Valencia) is definitely an odd duck. It's strategy was to exploit the printing error on Wireless Net Pavilion and just mill the corps deck until you win. I would pass on it since it's a fairly degenerate strategy and not fun to play against.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play any of the COIN games? Fire in the Lake has piqued my interest.

No no no. You can do it! Just use Elmer's glue. I use their Wood Glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-E7290-Carpenters-Wood-Ounces/dp/B004I3WXEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547349438&sr=8-1&keywords=elmer's+wood+glue

Use pins to hold the pieces together after you place it.

First few I made, I stressed so much about dimensions, having it planned out. Don't worry about that so much unless it's going to be a difficult organization. Just take a couple minutes to consider the components and then make it as you go. I'd definitely watch a couple tutorials.
Haha, thanks for the suggestion, but I feel I'm too impatient for this. Plano boxes and ziplock bags have been serving me well. I was just trying to put all of the Orleans expansions into one box into 2, it wasn't a big deal :(

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
In regards to the tournament winning decks. They contain the same cards you would find in the data packs but with alternate art.

As far as the quality of the decks, they are like a snapshot of what the competitive meta was at the time. If you could even find them, I would say the Corp deck (HB) is probably the best for newer players. It's the most straight forward deck to run. The runner deck (Valencia) is definitely an odd duck. It's strategy was to exploit the printing error on Wireless Net Pavilion and just mill the corps deck until you win. I would pass on it since it's a fairly degenerate strategy and not fun to play against.
I picked them both up for 7.99 each. But they are from 2017, so the runner is Haylay Kaplan and the corp is Cerebral Imaging. If anything, they will be fun to mess around with. I wish the boxed expansions for this game weren't over 200 each.... sigh.

I've reconsidered this a bit and you are right. As long as it adds to rather than takes the place of the analog experience, I think it's a cool way to blend modes. Used sparingly, too.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone play any of the COIN games? Fire in the Lake has piqued my interest.
The COIN system is great. I would recommend getting (or learning) Cuba Libre first as the smaller map and clear faction goals makes it a bit easier to get the hang of the system. Fire in the Lake is good but it is a beast to learn. The interactions between the different factions are intricate. It could potentially make for good two player game with each player taking control of two factions each.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The COIN system is great. I would recommend getting (or learning) Cuba Libre first as the smaller map and clear faction goals makes it a bit easier to get the hang of the system. Fire in the Lake is good but it is a beast to learn. The interactions between the different factions are intricate. It could potentially make for good two player game with each player taking control of two factions each.
I'm actually interested in trying them out as a coop game. So it seems my main options would be either FITL or Liberty or Death, since they each allow 'solo play' where a player controls 2 factions from one 'side' and counts their lowest scoring faction when calculating victory, so I'd just do that but in 2p coop.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017

Don't quit!

I just started my first foamcore today! Lots of bad cuts, but every cut was better than the last and I'm happy with what I have so far. It's for Mage Knight, so maybe not the easiest insert to start with...
So far I just have the bottom, outside border and a nice tight space for the map tiles with vertical strips that guide them in and hold them in place. Next will be the single row for cards with dividers, then some trays for tokens, mana crystals and dice. It's super satisfying to measure, cut and glue and see this thing take shape.

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly my co2 hasn't shipped yet. All the other games fulfilled by QM I get shipped right away. Oh well

Listened to the new DLC last week and nick suttner talked about Celestia. Sounded like a little more involved and whimsical Incan Gold so I picked up a copy. Played this weekend with family and loved it . Was a huge hit and the art is so fun and colorful. Nice change.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MoM 2nd is one of my favorite games I own, and a lot of that is due to how the app handles things. I don't want an app for all games but if you're going to include one, it better be as good as MoM. Needless to say I'm 100% on board for this LotR game, as are my game group and gf. In fact when I told her about getting a new LotR game she said "I thought you were going to buy less games this year?", then I told her it's basically MoM set in Middle Earth she said "Oh hell yes, get that!" We're all pretty stoked.

Also, not really related to anything but man, I have got to watch my Kickstarting. I thought I had 3-4 pledges still waiting for fulfillment then realized I've 7. They really got away from me in the latter half of the year.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Also, not really related to anything but man, I have got to watch my Kickstarting. I thought I had 3-4 pledges still waiting for fulfillment then realized I've 7. They really got away from me in the latter half of the year.
This is something I need to watch out for this year as well. I've six coming, and a few of them were pretty expensive. I'm sure they'll all be fun, but are they going to provide a unique enough experience I couldn't get with another game that's just a fraction of the cost?

FOMO is a strong thing, and something I'm going to try to limit myself on this year.

Last edited:

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

I have 3 that are overdue, 1 that is due this month but might not make it, and 11 more estimated before may lol (and 8 more with dates further out)

My KS activity got bad in 2018 but we also got a consistent game group now too so i feel justified somehow

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
MoM 2nd is one of my favorite games I own, and a lot of that is due to how the app handles things. I don't want an app for all games but if you're going to include one, it better be as good as MoM. Needless to say I'm 100% on board for this LotR game, as are my game group and gf. In fact when I told her about getting a new LotR game she said "I thought you were going to buy less games this year?", then I told her it's basically MoM set in Middle Earth she said "Oh hell yes, get that!" We're all pretty stoked.

I somehow only have 5.5 left for fulfillment
I am the forth wall, Growl, and legend of sleepy hollow should all be coming in the next few months
Spirit island expansion isn't until 2020
I also have the rest of the 7th continent to come. that's the .5

what's that... I'm missing one. that's only 4.5?
Oh yeah, I'm still waiting on super dungeon explore legends which was supposed to ship in 2016 from a company that has cut off almost all communication and yet still has managed to get attached to a few more projects in the last two years and all of those are also having issues now. Apparently Ninja Division is bankrupt, and basically trying to run a Ponzi scheme now. They are constantly trying to get money for new projects in or to out on old projects and the super dungeon explore legends apprently needs about 750k to print for the backers, which they don't have even though the project made over a million for them because they used those funds to print previous games #_#

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

I can understand the sentiment but there are plenty of games that doesn't use app so the few that do are OK by me. I agree with you that MoM probably could just be a videogame but at the same time, the point of MoM is not for just playing solo. The idea is that you gather around the table and watch the game unfolded in physical form. The app is just there to be essentially dungeon master and manipulate the event decks. I am sure it would be possible to make this into physical form but it would be tons of cards and chits and note and books. I have analog MoM edition and we set it up once or twice and never play it again. It was boring for the Mansion player and one wrong set up pretty much ruin the game (which happen in our fist game).

Again I do understand not wanting to stare at the screen but in MoM case it's there to facilitate the game. You still move and play everything on the actual board. There are physical present and really work best with group of people. For me if you buy MoM to play solo, you might as well just play video games. It's one of the reason I don't play it much and haven't buy any more expansions. My family doesn't care for it and I don't like the app manage combat. That is probably the only part of MoM 2nd edition that could have been better implemented.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually have the .5 from 7th continent as well. I've that, Lifeform, Terrors of London, All Manor of Evil, Awkward guests (super excited for this one), Tainted Grail, Batman, Brook city, and the Street Fighter mini game.

After those last three I decided no more games with tons of minis. Street fighter is a bit different since it's a mini combat game but nonetheless I'm done with very expensive games that need a ton of storage space. Brook City I vacillated on a bit but the police theme won me over. And that actually brings me to 8.5 as I forgot about Lifeform. Fuck.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, Zul. I've been fortunate to not have anything beyond delays with my pledges thus far.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My Kickstarter awaiting list is a bit ridiculous right now:
Nemesis
Vast (gonna sell this I think)
Unbroken
Villagers
Isles of Terror
Endure the Stars 1.5 update pack
Court of the Dead
Volfyirion
Mutants
Inhuman Conditions
Tainted Grail
Dark Madness
Reichbusters
Dwarves of Iron Peak
Project Unknown - Icarus Wake (the Jon Gilmour Make100 game) - I've got serious misgivings about this. It's turned into a co-op game (of which I have too many already) so I think I'm gonna sell this one

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, Zul. I've been fortunate to not have anything beyond delays with my pledges thus far.
*shrugs* it's not a big deal. Just $150 or so. At the very least I don't feel soured on kickstarter from it given how many other great games I backed. The only thing I'm bitter about it is that my super dungeon explore has sat unplayed for 3 years because I wanted to wait for the campaign stuff. I believe if I dig around I could at least find the beta instructions for the thing but still.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My pending kickstarters are:
Aeon's End Legacy (Canada...)
Dungeon Alliance expansion + dungeon packs
Spirit Island expansion

FOMO is a serious temptation, but I force myself to get over it. I ask myself whether I would buy this game right now if it was retail. If yes, I back. There's too many good games out there to worry about whether to gamble on missing out on potential gems.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
My pending list will be super small after this week. CO2 is coming tomorrow along with Gugong. So I only have Vinyl ( a guy in my group publish this so I back it to support him), Gentes, and Escape Plan. I am pretty much cure of FOMO after getting burn by horrible games from CMON and publisher like Steamforge and Awaken Realms I have better thing to spend my $150 on.

Oct 25, 2017
My pending list will be super small after this week. CO2 is coming tomorrow along with Gugong. So I only have Vinyl ( a guy in my group publish this so I back it to support him), Gentes, and Escape Plan. I am pretty much cure of FOMO after getting burn by horrible games from CMON and publisher like Steamforge and Awaken Realms I have better thing to spend my $150 on.

My co2 hasn't shipped yet and getting concerned