• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't know about late pledges for Batman but Monolith, the company behind the game, doesn't do retail. They will likely have a 2nd kickstarter or expansion this year if I had to guess but that isn't confirmed as far as I know. There are always people selling KS games after release... Just how much do you want to pay.

EDIT:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/claustrophobia-1643/posts/2346272
Our next Kickstarter campaigns:
  • Batman Gotham City Chronicles 2: in the course of 2019

This had better be just a second printing for people who missed the first time or I'll be mad as hell.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress pledges appear to be shipping in Australia. I'm not 100% sure it's my Shogun Pledge, but I just received tracking details for a shipment from Good Games/Let's Play Games who fulfill Kickstarters locally. I may have my Shogun Pledge early next week!

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Got a good haul from The Works (although the discount seemed to of ended). Lords Xibit, Android Mainframe, Smugglers and Royale Tumult for £7 each!

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
This had better be just a second printing for people who missed the first time or I'll be mad as hell.

Oh they will. They won't leave money on the table and since Monolith only sells through KS now, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will have the base game too.

As for Wingspan. I love Stegmaier's stuff but the theme of Wingspan is just not appealing at all to me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Oh they will. They won't leave money on the table and since Monolith only sells through KS now, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will have the base game too.

As for Wingspan. I love Stegmaier's stuff but the theme of Wingspan is just not appealing at all to me.

The theme does nothing for me either, but the gameplay looks really good.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten Through the Ages to the table yet but I did additionally pick up the digital version and have played a few games against the AI and am.... enjoying it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Android: Netrunner: Is the first expansion, Genesis, a must-buy? Or should I stick to newer expansions, like Kitara and Red Sands? (This is just for casual play, BTW.)

For casual play I'd start with one of the 4 deluxe boxes first instead of the cycles. Each of the deluxe boxes focuses on 2 factions. Pick a box with your favorite factions and it will significantly expand your deckbuilding options. The best cycle I think would be Kitara because it was designed to provide many new and fresh options for old cards that were thought to be core to each faction. So I think the deluxe boxes and Kitara give you the most deckbuilding flexibility for your $.

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
So I finally got round to Playing City of Kings, I like it a lot but not sure I could recommend it when it comes to retail.

It's kind of an MMO, your group of lads wander round a mostly randomly generated map of 5 X 5 tiles, flipping over the tiles as you land on them, could be a shop, could be a monster, quest giver etc. You have a developing story quest plus take on loads of side-quests that you can get to in your own time or ignore (pus anyone in the party can attempt most of them), you also have workers that you send off to mines to gather resources; that you then spend on upgrading gear, completing gather-quests, building traps and camps.

Everyone in the party levels up together and shares resources so theres a great sense of team work and people splitting the tasks. You can pretty much always do something useful on your turn and contribute to the effort.

The monsters are generic markers and all their powers are randomly generated, I guess this is good for replayability but it felt thematically flat to me, I'd of rather fought stock fantasy creatures with predictable moves; dragons breathing fire, ice wizards doing their ice thang etc.

What I did like is that both you and the monsters only attack and move in cardinal directions and the monsters have lots of moves involving pushing/pulling heroes or workers. So on the tight maps this leads to lots of fiendish situations with really narrow margins of error, that reminded me a lot of Into The Breach. The quests are all well written and the arts great.

I guess what gives me pause is that it's expensive as hell, I got it 2nd hand for £75. I've no idea what retail will go for. The core mechanics are great but there's all this cumbersome stuff (both mechanics and components) on top that seems unnecessary and bloated, it feels like it needed an editor to come in and hack it back to the essentials. It's different to Gloomhaven that had a great core experience then justified it's size and price with tons of content.

So yeah, I dunno. I guess it's a judgement call down to your spending habits

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
For casual play I'd start with one of the 4 deluxe boxes first instead of the cycles. Each of the deluxe boxes focuses on 2 factions. Pick a box with your favorite factions and it will significantly expand your deckbuilding options. The best cycle I think would be Kitara because it was designed to provide many new and fresh options for old cards that were thought to be core to each faction. So I think the deluxe boxes and Kitara give you the most deckbuilding flexibility for your $.

The deluxe boxes are far too expensive for casual play, unfortunately. I'll definitely pick up the data packs that I don't have for the Kitara line then. Thanks!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Just picked up Sedition Wars and Kaos Ball for 8 dollars a piece at Marshalls. Seems worth it for some interesting miniatures if anything.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I was more than pleased with Phalanx, which was kind enough to switch me to the French version of UBOOT when I asked; at no extra cost even thought :
- I was 100% my mistake
- shipping already started
- I actually offered to pay extra shipping cost

Should get the game on Monday, I sure hope the App will be ready soon after.
So I finally got round to Playing City of Kings, I like it a lot but not sure I could recommend it when it comes to retail.

It's kind of an MMO, your group of lads wander round a mostly randomly generated map of 5 X 5 tiles, flipping over the tiles as you land on them, could be a shop, could be a monster, quest giver etc. You have a developing story quest plus take on loads of side-quests that you can get to in your own time or ignore (pus anyone in the party can attempt most of them), you also have workers that you send off to mines to gather resources; that you then spend on upgrading gear, completing gather-quests, building traps and camps.

Everyone in the party levels up together and shares resources so theres a great sense of team work and people splitting the tasks. You can pretty much always do something useful on your turn and contribute to the effort.

The monsters are generic markers and all their powers are randomly generated, I guess this is good for replayability but it felt thematically flat to me, I'd of rather fought stock fantasy creatures with predictable moves; dragons breathing fire, ice wizards doing their ice thang etc.

What I did like is that both you and the monsters only attack and move in cardinal directions and the monsters have lots of moves involving pushing/pulling heroes or workers. So on the tight maps this leads to lots of fiendish situations with really narrow margins of error, that reminded me a lot of Into The Breach. The quests are all well written and the arts great.

I guess what gives me pause is that it's expensive as hell, I got it 2nd hand for £75. I've no idea what retail will go for. The core mechanics are great but there's all this cumbersome stuff (both mechanics and components) on top that seems unnecessary and bloated, it feels like it needed an editor to come in and hack it back to the essentials. It's different to Gloomhaven that had a great core experience then justified it's size and price with tons of content.

So yeah, I dunno. I guess it's a judgement call down to your spending habits
I sure agree with you when it comes to their respective price ( and at that price, CoK still doesn't come with an insert.... and character sheet should have been plastified ), but strangely enough the game got a much bigger success with people around me than Gloomhaven.
Things like not having to keep track of things between scenario, and even generic monster, kind of put a cap on how invested you can feel in your campaign, but also make the game less overwhelming for less """hardcore""" ( for a lack of better term ) player. The game is also very quick to setup on the table ( at least with a custom insert ) which is always a big plus in my book when it comes to those bigger games.

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a couple new games recently:
My ex sent me Reef (which I then played last night to learn and enjoyed it)
Picked up Above and Below after playing it a few weeks ago.
Same with Gizmos
Picked up Robinson Crusoe Adventures on the Cursed Island
Monarch
Alien Frontiers and the Factions expansion.
Got my Good Dog Bad Zombie kickstarter
Also got my Robin Hood and the Merry Men kickstarter
FInally, got InBetween as a little cheap game. I know nothing about it.

For people who've played both which have you enjoyed more:
Nusfjord or Feast for Odin.

Both sound interesting to me, so in the near future I may pick one of them up.

Oct 25, 2017

Robinson Crusoe is very solid by the way.

For Nusfjord and Feast for Odin, they are pretty different games. Feast for Odin is one of my favorite games ever, and I made a number of themed solo challenges on BGG. I think some other people have also made similar content. It depends what you want.

Nusfjord:
* Fewer options
* Shorter game (maybe 1-2 hours instead of 2-3 hours or more)
* Relaxing, low-stress (if you can't feed some people it's cool, you don't suffer a huge penalty)

Feast for Odin:
* A million options
* Lots of strategic possibilities
* Higher stress (there's spatial puzzling combined with economy combined with needing to feed people so you don't get penalized)

If you're wanting to play solo or have a ton of replay value, Feast for Odin is a great choice in my opinion. If you want a somewhat relaxing fishing game without spending 3+ hours draining your brain for every possible point, Nusfjord is lovely.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I was not a fan of Robinson Crusoe for a couple of reasons. I find it to be incredibly fiddly. There's a ton of stuff to keep track of, and I feel it could have probably been streamlined a little to give the same basic experience. It's also brutally difficult. I love co-ops, but I like them to be more easily winnable. This could be because we haven't played it enough in the group, and don't know the strategies that well. However, my group prefers to play a variety of games, rather than do deep dives on a few at a time, with the exception of campaign-based or legacy games.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK

Depends what you're looking for in a game- while both are worker placement they are play very differently.

Feast for Odin is a worker placement, resource gathering and it absolutely about making sure you build a bonus engine to cover up those minus point slots (I think you start 88 points in the hole?) I wouldn't call is stressful but you need to be adaptable as you're not just placing one worker but a set of them and need to make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck. It's as wide as it is deep but it's not that heavy in my opinion. It's polyominoes are certainly the main event so if you aren't super keen on future planning what tile to grab next and where to put it then it won't be for you. I own a copy though and quite enjoy getting a game of it in every 3 months.

Nusfjord is a standard Uwe worker placement fare, not as complex as his previous games and very much a introductory game to his Caverna style games. The usual buffing of existing powers to gain more resources and victory points. It's fairly forgettable and didn't last long in the group. If you've already got Caverna/Agricola/etc then you likely don't need another unless you really love his games.

Speaking of new games- I finally had a 2019 purge and went through my shelves and asked myself if someone said to me: "Do you want to play this?" if my response was: "meh, maybe another time." It got sold. Clank In Space! (still have clank), Lowlands, Wasteland Express, The Ruhr, Roll for the Galaxy, Vanuatu, Century Eastern Wonders, Castell, Root, 878 Vikings and Rise of Tribes all got sold. It was refreshing to clear out my collection and refine it to a 7+ rating game collection.

I've pumped the money towards a few games however- stuff I'm genuinely excited for like: Pipeline, Cloudspire, Blood Rage (the bits I was missing) and Suburbia as I really like the app. I've just got to make sure I keep pumping the brakes on kickstarters as they are the biggest source of pain as they are often a massive pile of shit when they arrive and end up getting sold fairly quickly (looking at Vindication which some how is back on KS again).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
@ XShagrath: I have three different groups that I can play board games with, so there's some interesting variety there. One of my groups we're 10 games though Charterstone. I'm glad I chose that one as my excursion into legacy games. We all are liking it, but it will be nice to move onto other stuff. I know nothing is forcing us to just play that, but you kind of get this mental thing about finishing up before you start something new. All of my groups are OK with doing a bunch of smaller games one week, and a big long (3 hour+) experience another. I will never do Fortune and Glory with 8 players again...especially if I'm teaching the game to basically all of the other 7. Ate up the whole afternoon, and we still didn't finish. I do still like F&G, but I'd keep it to 4 or 5 players max.

Spookie I don't actually own any Rosenberg games, so the sky's the limit at this point. Between what everyone has said (that Nusfjord and Feast for Odin are different enough) I'm inclined to get both in the future. When I went shopping at my local store yesterday, they didn't have Nusfjord, or I may have picked it up regardless instead of Robinson Crusoe.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Spookie I don't actually own any Rosenberg games, so the sky's the limit at this point. Between what everyone has said (that Nusfjord and Feast for Odin are different enough) I'm inclined to get both in the future. When I went shopping at my local store yesterday, they didn't have Nusfjord, or I may have picked it up regardless instead of Robinson Crusoe.

If that's the case I'd definitely try to give them a go before buying if possible- I've learned over the last year what people think are good doesn't often marry up with personal expectations (I think Dinosaur Island is a colossal turd, but it's loved on BGG). I know Nusfjord was sold as being too 'samey' as typical worker placement but three of us own Feast as it's bloody unique and very Uwe.

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I've never regretted owning both Nusfjord and Feast for Odin (one for faster / more casual people, one for a dedicated 3-hour chunk of time), but I might some day get rid of Agricola since I basically never have a desire to play it, and I feel its theme is incredibly boring compared to the other two.

Oct 25, 2017
Agricola was available at the place I was shopping yesterday, but I kind of wanted to go with something newer. Even with it's pedigree, I'm inclined to go with something newer, be it Nusfjord, Feast for Odin, or even Caverna.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
We had a 4p game of Fallout two Saturdays ago. You know, I don't know what the public opinion of that game is, but we had a blast. I've only played it solo up to this point, but getting a group together and just messing around in the wasteland was an absolute blast. The only issue? Game length. Holy shit game length.

Who is going to Gen Con this year?

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
We had a 4p game of Fallout two Saturdays ago. You know, I don't know what the public opinion of that game is, but we had a blast. I've only played it solo up to this point, but getting a group together and just messing around in the wasteland was an absolute blast. The only issue? Game length. Holy shit game length.

Who is going to Gen Con this year?

Game length as in.... too long? Because that's the opposite of my experiences with it. I think theres some decent exploration in there and its a neat system but the fucking endgame comes abruptly out of nowhere for an anticlimactic wet fart. I was really hoping the expansion was going to fix it, but it doesn't sound like it did.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Game length as in.... too long? Because that's the opposite of my experiences with it. I think theres some decent exploration in there and its a neat system but the fucking endgame comes abruptly out of nowhere for an anticlimactic wet fart. I was really hoping the expansion was going to fix it, but it doesn't sound like it did.

With 4, it felt like it was dragging. Of course, it was 3 of their first time playing, so I imagine that didn't speed things up.

I think it's a great solo or 2p game to just explore the wasteland. I plan to snag the expansion at some point to see how it changes the core experience...

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We will ever see a new version of Netrunner after everything that has happened? I really regret not getting into it while it was still in production. I have the core set but no one to play with. I'm hoping something happens that causes a boost in players so I can jump in.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
We will ever see a new version of Netrunner after everything that has happened? I really regret not getting into it while it was still in production. I have the core set but no one to play with. I'm hoping something happens that causes a boost in players so I can jump in.

You would like to think they pulled the licence so they can work on their own game. However if it deviates too far from the original recipe I don't think I'd find it too appealing- I'm in the same boat basically. That being said I was hoping to get in to Keyforge but can't see to get the time for organised play, I think card games will never suit my current job.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to grab a cop[y of Teotihuacan in the recent restock, got a first play in on Saturday. Really liked it, I'm a big fan of point salad games and can't wait to play again using the randomizers instead of the static first game setup.

Also played a friend's copy of Cryptid on Sunday for the first time, probably the only game where AP is built into the game and no one actually minds taking time to choose your turn. Super neat pure logic and deduction game, have seen it for cheap so might pick it up.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I've played it 3 and 4 and every time it just ends in the middle of the story. Weak shit.

There's a chance we were playing it wrong then? The factions just never made much motion forward. Of course, the other 3 people were spending their turns farming and doing side quests, so maybe that's what draws the game out?

E: Unrelated to that, I've been looking to sell my near complete collection of Descent 2e. I'm missing like 5 or 6 lieutenants, the 1e -> 2e conversion kit, and the extra Campaign Book. Everything is in pristine condition and looks basically unplayed. I priced it at $500, but someone is telling me that's more like a $300 lot. Am I crazy or being overly ambitious with my asking?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweet, I should check it out. My old neighbor made that!

Coo.

Wingspan, Teotihuacan, and New Frontiers are the three new games I'm most interested in at the moment. The theme of Wingspan and the point-salad scoring of Teo are turn-offs, so I'd really like to try them before I buy them.

I was offered the opportunity to play Wingspan this weekend but had already committed to a way-too-long game of Trickerion (a worker placement game of massively increased complexity for marginally increased depth).

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Coo.

Wingspan, Teotihuacan, and New Frontiers are the three new games I'm most interested in at the moment. The theme of Wingspan and the point-salad scoring of Teo are turn-offs, so I'd really like to try them before I buy them.

Well I own all three and all will be sitting on my shelf for a while I think.

Wingspan is quick, engaging and looks beautiful. Though I'm starting to see repeat cards after 6 plays now and I'm worried about its longevity, but the GF loves it and I'm in no rush to get rid of it. You can feel absolutely like you're getting dicked by back card draw sometimes not getting what you need and with the bird feeder dice making it hard to adapt. I'm looking forward to the expansion though.

Teo-punch-a-tucan might well have been my GOTY last year at face value. I'm also not often one for point salads but the game is focused enough on working on two objectives (dead track and building the temple) that it feels fairly focused regardless. The dice improvement mechanic is really cool and drives some bloody hard decisions as well.

New Frontiers I picked up after my first play of someone elses copy. It fixes all the issues I had with Roll & Race mainly: developments. They are always on show so you feel like a kid in the sweet shop, unable to choose from so many good options. But more importantly you know they are always there to choose from (provided they aren't all snapped up). The game is still hilariously quick, we were at the 30 minute mark and felt like the game was going to be 90 minutes. Cue 10 minutes later the game had escalated so quickly the game was almost over. Only problems with the game is the price in the UK is £55~ which feels it's £10-15 more than it should be though you do get a metric fuck tonne of cardboard in the box.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. I might buy all three even if I don't have the chance to try them for myself within the next few months.

Nov 8, 2017
Finally busted out Fog of Love that I got my wife for Christmas.

Neat tutorial built within the game to show you the ropes.

I came away somewhat unsatisfied. Perhaps it's the hype of how aesthetically pleasing the game is, and how inventive, and funny, and silly it is...but my wife and I shared a few chuckles and that was about it. Sorta just feel flat. I know a big part of the game is the 'role-play' aspect and we fully intend on trying to go even further in that direction, but eh.

Trying to find playthroughs where people organically role-played during the multiple-choice stuff, and seeing how we could do a better job of that. Sort of strange to be like, "Ugh! You totally gave that waiter a wink! Now, do you feel like A) blah blah blah B) blah blah blah, C) blah blah blah, etc."

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Finally busted out Fog of Love that I got my wife for Christmas.

Neat tutorial built within the game to show you the ropes.

I came away somewhat unsatisfied. Perhaps it's the hype of how aesthetically pleasing the game is, and how inventive, and funny, and silly it is...but my wife and I shared a few chuckles and that was about it. Sorta just feel flat. I know a big part of the game is the 'role-play' aspect and we fully intend on trying to go even further in that direction, but eh.

Trying to find playthroughs where people organically role-played during the multiple-choice stuff, and seeing how we could do a better job of that. Sort of strange to be like, "Ugh! You totally gave that waiter a wink! Now, do you feel like A) blah blah blah B) blah blah blah, C) blah blah blah, etc."

I came away feeling slightly the same BUT I understand that the tutorial is basically a first act and the proper game goes deeper into dilemmas and lets your characters unravel more. The tutorial, for example, doesn't even let you choose to break up.

I did think our tutorial story had some interesting developments, though. By the end of it, it was becoming clear that my character was a pretty selfish jerk leading an all-too-giving boyfriend to 'change' for me, for no sensible reason. It was a road to unhappiness for him, and it was interesting to be able to see it from the window the game offers.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
emag and Spookie
Teotihuacan is another one that showed up on my radar recently. It sounded neat, and what you said, Spookie, makes me more interested.

It's just came back in to print so you should see some copies in the wild soon. I'd certainly say try before you buy if you can, unless you've tried the likes of T'Zolkin or Marco Polo then it should be in your wheelhouse. :)

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes this was our problem with the game, the exploration was sort of fun but the limited enemies type and then the weird game end condition and the way you get them is so random. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are into Fallout.

It's just came back in to print so you should see some copies in the wild soon. I'd certainly say try before you buy if you can, unless you've tried the likes of T'Zolkin or Marco Polo then it should be in your wheelhouse. :)
I saw several Teotihuacan at local con couple weeks ago so I picked one up but never got around to play it. I finally played it yesterday (someone else copy) and I like it better than T'Zolkin. Though the Alchemy seem to be really strong and if you don't go there and get the right one you will not win. We almost finish the pyramid and the guy I played with said he usually doesn't see it get that high. It's super pretty and I like it so much I set up the solo one that let you play against TeoBot. Also he has the first edition of the game and it seems they switch dice. The one I got has sharper edge dice and a bit dull looking. The 1st edition has prettier dice for sure (vibrant color) and nice round edge but it's super slippery and like to roll to different side so the 2nd edition is much better for game play.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I recently bought the revised core, Terminal Directive, and about ten datapacks... probably going to do one more big buy of the datapacks and then wait to see what WoTC comes up with for the reboot (if there is one). But, yeah, should have bought earlier as the deluxe editions are STUPID expensive.

Any Go players here? I'm looking to get into it and was wondering what beginners set to buy.

Last edited:

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see it posted here, but according to Stronghold Games, Ganz Schon Clever (That's Pretty Clever) is releasing in the states on February 6th, and the sequel Doppelt so Clever (Twice as Clever) is targeting a May release. Both expected to go for $20 each.