• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have there been any small-box/cheap ($10-$20) games of note recently? It seems we had a burst of them a few years ago with Love Letter, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Codenames, Hanabi, etc., but the only one I can think of from the last year or so is The Mind.

Though the Alchemy seem to be really strong and if you don't go there and get the right one you will not win. We almost finish the pyramid and the guy I played with said he usually doesn't see it get that high.

Part of which tracks are strong is determined by the random setup, right? So it'll change from game to game. I think the designer did say that alchemy and pyramid building are strong on the starter setup. Again, I haven't had the opportunity to play Teotihuacan for myself yet, so I may be entirely incorrect.

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any small-box/cheap ($10-$20) games of note recently? It seems we had a burst of them a few years ago with Love Letter, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Codenames, Hanabi, etc., but the only one I can think of from the last year or so is The Mind.

Part of which tracks are strong is determined by the random setup, right? So it'll change from game to game. I think the designer did say that alchemy and pyramid building are strong on the starter setup. Again, I haven't had the opportunity to play Teotihuacan for myself yet, so I may be entirely incorrect.
I believe by design, participating in pyramid-building is essentially REQUIRED as part of any strategy with experienced players. How much and how fast varies with the board setup though.

Just Progress

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all keep updated with Kickstarters? I'm new to board games but it seems like most big game these days are run through Kickstarter and I'm curious how you stay plugged in.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've recently been having a really good time with Railroad Ink and High Society, which are right at 20 each (if not being price gouged). Roll and write game and a reprint of a good auction game with really pretty art.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
How do y'all keep updated with Kickstarters? I'm new to board games but it seems like most big game these days are run through Kickstarter and I'm curious how you stay plugged in.

/r/boardgames posts a weekly thread on Sundays, there's lists on BGG, you can follow people on Kickstarter and get emails when they creat a kickstarter, and when they back one.

Musan

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion to people new to the hobby is to stay away from Kickstarter unless you really know what you are getting into.

There are a variety of different designs on the market. See what type of games you want, then consider Kickstarter as an option.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've recently been having a really good time with Railroad Ink and High Society, which are right at 20 (if not being price gouged). Roll and write game and an auction game.

I'll look into Railroad Ink. Thanks!

High Society is a Knizia masterpiece and the new edition is beautiful (I have it). There are a lot of great card-based games from the 2000s that are/were also available cheaply (No Thanks!, For Sale, Money, Modern Art, 6 Nimmt!), but I'm specifically looking for new games that I might have missed from the last year or so (when I cut back on following BGG news/hotness).

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017

Fuji Flush and Decrypto are IMO, must haves.

Edit: Also Werewords has just about replaced ONUW for us.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017

I can't speak for anyone else, but a lot of boardgame kickstarters, even middling profile ones, are just "meh" - there are so many new boardgames released out there that it's relatively rare for a purely KS only game appear - and the ones that do are often relatively quick to relaunch to keep momentum going. And minis continue to sell well regardless of the game quality...

If you want to keep plugged in, I like the TheBoardgameGroup on FB for news/discussion (and usually paid promotion) of KS/new releases. The reddit threads mentioned earlier are good too. But honestly? Tune KS out... There's so much focus on new "stuff" to distract from the core play of games.

High Society is a Knizia masterpiece and the new edition is beautiful (I have it). There are a lot of great card-based games from the 2000s that are/were also available cheaply (No Thanks!, For Sale, Money, Modern Art, 6 Nimmt!), but I'm specifically looking for new games that I might have missed from the last year or so (when I cut back on following BGG news/hotness).

I like your way of thinking, love a lot of the games you mention, and I think my favourite "quick" card games in that genre from the last few years are Fuji Flush (for 4+, real easy to explain but with some depth), Team Play (4 exactly in pairs of two), & Port Royal (a little more complicated and best at 4, but more "space" for playing).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

They're basically all roll and write games nowadays

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Others have already said, BGG and Reddit are good resources. I also occasionally look at kicktraq.com to see the top stuff that's currently up there. Also, Tantrum House on YouTube does bi-monthly videos on games launching on KS each month.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017

Yes there is a standard board set up (pre-printed) and random tiles that move the location around with exception of the Palace and the Construction (1 and 8 ). The Alchemy powers, the Temple track and the Palace also have random tiles that changes from game to game and help prevent people from moving in certain order. I played against the bot after I got home and realized that my friend got couple things wrong which let to the winner run away with so many more points (he would have won anyway).

That said, building pyramid can get you a lot of point especially in early game. I found that later game it's not quite as lucrative which probably why many pyramid never get up very high and also finishing pyramid also trigger end of game. The Alchemy is a must go to because the bonus is huge. The winner and I noticed this right away and put two of our cube there using our starting powers (which was illegal, another thing he taught us wrong, thought wasn't all his fault there was FAQ ruling on it) in any case, you have to go to Alchemy regardless of how the board set up (starter or random) because gaining bonus for something you would do anyway is huge and if you don't go there you are at big disadvantage.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion to people new to the hobby is to stay away from Kickstarter unless you really know what you are getting into.

There are a variety of different designs on the market. See what type of games you want, then consider Kickstarter as an option.

Yes!

Even as someone who knows a lot of board games, I've been burned by KS games because there is no real vetting process. Every preview for a KS game tends to glow about it. You have to take a very skeptical eye into any of that stuff.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Same, which is why I'm conflicted. The gameplay is what should matter most. It being similar to Terraforming Mars is also working in it's favor.
I don't really follow why everyone compares Wingspan to Terraforming Mars. I guess it's just because they're both "engine builders," but they play nothing alike.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Heya, I don't think I've posted in here before. I decided to bite the bullet and order Gloomhaven today. It was about AU$160 on Amazon AU. Its a lot of money for a game for me and I might only ever play a small part of it, let alone finish it so I'm a bit nervous about spending that much on it. I also don't get to board game that much, because I work overseas and only back home a couple of times a year. That said, I'm really excited, the only other 'dungeon crawler' I have is Runebound 3rd Edition and Arkham Horror, and they're not really close to Gloomhaven. When I was young, we played a lot of Heroquest but I've lost pretty much all the bits.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
I had a dream last night that I played the greatest game ever made:

Monster Hunter: The Board Game

You and a group of up to three other hunters explore map tiles and find gathering spots and smaller monsters to fight and loot for materials, while also tracking and fighting huge monsters (who are moving around the map somehow) in epic battles where you can wound them, trap them etc and carve parts from them. And then of course you can trade in parts and other materials to craft new armor, weapons and items for your hunter. It was so good. I was very disappointed to wake up and realize this is not a real game.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
I had a dream last night that I played the greatest game ever made:

Monster Hunter: The Board Game

You and a group of up to three other hunters explore map tiles and find gathering spots and smaller monsters to fight and loot for materials, while also tracking and fighting huge monsters (who are moving around the map somehow) in epic battles where you can wound them, trap them etc and carve parts from them. And then of course you can trade in parts and other materials to craft new armor, weapons and items for your hunter. It was so good. I was very disappointed to wake up and realize this is not a real game.
Sound like Kingdom Death Monster.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
CMON's latest Kickstarter, Munchkin Dungeon, is not really my cup of tea. Most of their KS are funded in 10-15 minutes, but this one has been going on almost 24hrs and is still 9k short as of the time of this post. Still, 19 days to go so it will definitely get funded. I'm just thinking the extras may be a little thin on this one unless it really turns a corner at some point. The entry point of $60 is also $30-40 cheaper than their other projects and that is sure to make the bigger numbers harder to hit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/munchkin-dungeon/description

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I've been playing some Quatermaster General and a number of proper wargames and it's really good to get back into the groove. I'm still trying to find some time to get the bigger games to the table. Also, I've noticed that the BGG complexity ratings are a bit questionable to begin with, but they're hilariously bad when it comes to wargames. It doesn't help that these tend to be vastly more complex than regular board games to begin with.

Arboretum is one of the better small games to come out in the last few years, and Lost Cities: Rivals is supposed to be very good as well.

Does any boardgame have a system with elemental interactions as intricate as Divinity Original Sin?
It's going to work a fair bit differently, but Spirit Island should come reasonably close. The way it works is that if you play enough of the right elements for your spirit, you can activate a bunch of bonus powers to make your life easier. And even if it doesn't do that, Spirit Island is a fantastic game!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
CMON's latest Kickstarter, Munchkin Dungeon, is not really my cup of tea. Most of their KS are funded in 10-15 minutes, but this one has been going on almost 24hrs and is still 9k short as of the time of this post. Still, 19 days to go so it will definitely get funded. I'm just thinking the extras may be a little thin on this one unless it really turns a corner at some point. The entry point of $60 is also $30-40 cheaper than their other projects and that is sure to make the bigger numbers harder to hit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/munchkin-dungeon/description

Well that and it's fucking munchkin

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Got my shipping notification for my Shadows of Brimstone Shogun package. 36# of additional Brimstone coming my way! <3

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
With less than 2hrs remaining, I jumped on the War of the Worlds Kickstarter.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I am a sucker for Munchkin so I had to back Dungeon + 2 addons. Poor wallet.

If you walk away from a CMON Kickstarter only paying $140, that would be a miracle. With 17 days to go, it will eventually be around $300 for an "all in" pledge, mark my words!

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Legend of the Five Rings question: How long do characters stay bowed? Throughout one conflict only, or throughout the entire conflict phase?
EDIT: I found the answer. It's the latter.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig yesterday. It is great! It is the evolution of Between Two Cities that I was hoping for. Because Cities had an awesome concept (tile drafting/laying with your neighbors, score on your worst city), but the scoring was two simple so it meant most games played out the same. Castles adds enough types of scoring and scoring strategies that things can end up pretty different from castle to castle. Definitely want to play it some more! I also really appreciate that every room tile in the game has a unique name and art.

Oct 25, 2017
Played Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig yesterday. It is great! It is the evolution of Between Two Cities that I was hoping for. Because Cities had an awesome concept (tile drafting/laying with your neighbors, score on your worst city), but the scoring was two simple so it meant most games played out the same. Castles adds enough types of scoring and scoring strategies that things can end up pretty different from castle to castle. Definitely want to play it some more! I also really appreciate that every room tile in the game has a unique name and art.
Do you feel the tiles becoming square and not unusual shapes hurts it at all?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel the tiles becoming square and not unusual shapes hurts it at all?

I miss that a bit from the original Castles game, sure, but I don't know how you'd do the "Between Two" style with non uniform pieces, because the way the game works requires the tiles being drafted and you're fitting tiles into the castle simultaneously with a partner. So passing around a set of mismatched tiles and then trying to get two weird shaped things into the same castle seems like it'd be really tough to manage.

It does have basement tiles vs upstairs tiles and having to build out the first floor before you can build upwards, so it gets at least a bit of that spatial stuff in there. The puzzle of "how to build this" was interesting enough that I was having conversations with each partner about where to put stuff on most turns.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pondering introducing my nieces to the idea of co-operative gaming - I tried it a few years ago with Forbidden Island, but then they were a little too young to grasp the complexities of that. Now, though, they're a bit more strategically-minded, so they might be receptive to teamwork and planning.

However... I'm at my parents, I don't actually have any co-op games here. So... rather than purchasing any boxed product, are there any co-op games that use generic components that I can cobble together? I've got ample dice (from Las Vegas), drawable word cards (in the form of Codenames), many coloured cards (in the form of Ticket To Ride) plus the usual counters and standard playing cards, and could always print-and-play something if required.

Is there anything that's viable? I'm currently trying to think if I can do something clever inspired by Werewords.

Oct 25, 2017
Two kickstarter games arrived today.
On Tour
The Faceless

Also purchased a copy of Wizards (the parents of some close friends made this game back in 82, it's a bit tough to get a hold of as it's never been reprinted).

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pondering introducing my nieces to the idea of co-operative gaming - I tried it a few years ago with Forbidden Island, but then they were a little too young to grasp the complexities of that. Now, though, they're a bit more strategically-minded, so they might be receptive to teamwork and planning.

However... I'm at my parents, I don't actually have any co-op games here. So... rather than purchasing any boxed product, are there any co-op games that use generic components that I can cobble together? I've got ample dice (from Las Vegas), drawable word cards (in the form of Codenames), many coloured cards (in the form of Ticket To Ride) plus the usual counters and standard playing cards, and could always print-and-play something if required.

Is there anything that's viable? I'm currently trying to think if I can do something clever inspired by Werewords.
Maybe you could do something that's like Just One?

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone played Cryptid? Worth buying?

I've looked into it quite a bit but I've held off for now. The components just look bland and that will matter to my group. I also hear that if someone screws up it can affect the whole game. It's still on my radar.

I got Kemet: Seth. I can't wait to try it. I love how it changes the base game completely. I wish there were more expansions like this.

We played some Just One a couple of nights ago. I think we played three or four games. It's a great family game.