• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Gloomhaven question:
We translated the tablet with the cipher and figured out the "M" from section A-12 on the map, I assume this is the first part of another set of map coordinates. The question: is the 2nd part discovered in another quest chain or do we already have everything in this current quest chain to solve the riddle?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Played Cyclades last night for the first time in a 5 player game. Had a ton of fun even though we only had single mythological creature summon and a single combat encounter. Can't wait to play again!

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember hearing a couple of opinions. General question, does anyone have an opinion about the Scythe combat system (double blind bidding of a resource to potentially gain victory) rather than a deck-based or die-based combat system?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seem to remember hearing a couple of opinions. General question, does anyone have an opinion about the Scythe combat system (double blind bidding of a resource to potentially gain victory) rather than a deck-based or die-based combat system?

I honestly don't like the blind bidding system used in games like Scythe, GoT, and Kemet in general, as it triggers my AP tendencies (and those of those I play with). There's the whole the-wine-in-front-of-me/you process that plays out.

In practice, combat is so infrequent in Scythe that I don't have a problem with it (with a limit of two stars, I only initiate combat when I am assured a win).

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I like it. It eliminates randomness and becomes more of a situation where you have to read your opponent while also determining how much a victory is worth to you. Besides, anything is preferable to dice.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't like the blind bidding system used in games like Scythe, GoT, and Kemet in general, as it triggers my AP tendencies (and those of those I play with). There's the whole the-wine-in-front-of-me/you process that plays out.

In practice, combat is so infrequent in Scythe that I don't have a problem with it (with a limit of two stars, I only initiate combat when I am assured a win).
Thanks, I didn't think about people being paralyzed and not just making a decision. I guess you can try to force people with a timer. Then again, a reasonably complex game may make people paralyzed anyway.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I actually quite enjoy the GoT combat. You always have to balance your pool of cards, figuring out how much to invest into that one tactical fight, while also keeping in mind the big picture, knowing full well that other players will be paying attention when you use multiple of your strong cards. Is winning those local battles worth weakening your global position? Do you gamble a weak card in the hopes that your opponent will waste a strong one? But yeah, definitely an AP risk!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm trying to think of a game that does pile of miniatures on a space vs other pile of miniatures in a way I actually enjoy. From a quick think, Inis is probably my favorite way to do that? Since you can kind of predict what's going to happen and a lot of times it just ends in "okay you're good?" "yep" "okay, we spilled a little blood but now we're cool". And losing a fight in that isn't the end of the world like it can be in some other games.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I like it. It eliminates randomness and becomes more of a situation where you have to read your opponent while also determining how much a victory is worth to you. Besides, anything is preferable to dice.

Yep! That's my feeling too. The need to properly read the situation and your opponent to have a chance of winning combats is great. And it integrates perfectly in the context and mood of Scythe I think, especially since winning/losing a combat can involve such high stakes.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm trying to think of a game that does pile of miniatures on a space vs other pile of miniatures in a way I actually enjoy. From a quick think, Inis is probably my favorite way to do that? Since you can kind of predict what's going to happen and a lot of times it just ends in "okay you're good?" "yep" "okay, we spilled a little blood but now we're cool". And losing a fight in that isn't the end of the world like it can be in some other games.

I prefer one-for-one Euro/abstract combat resolution, but that's admittedly too simplistic for a combat-driven game (and certainly isn't a drop-in replacement).

Unless you're playing the same game against the same opponent(s) over and over again, I don't find the reading your opponent aspect is really present.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

I also like inis' way of doing it because your turns are dictated by your amount of cards, so drafting hard into combat cards to secure a spot but being limited through that round is a nice give and take

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Another criticism I've seen against the combat in Scythe is that it's too simplistic. I absolutely disagree with that. The combat is simplistic, and that is because the actual combat should never be the focus in Scythe. A quick, clever system means the game doesn't get bogged down in boring combat resolution and keeps the focus on the more interesting aspects of the gameplay.

In comparison, a game that utterly failed in this respect is Star Wars Rebellion. It's a game that has its strength in the cat and mouse chase between the empire and rebels. But instead of keeping the focus on that very cool aspect of the game it keeps turning into a drawn out luck driven dice chucker, essentially killing the momentum stone dead every time combat occurs. It would have been so much better with a quick and simple battle system. Let the game play to its strengths.

Inis is such a wonderful game, and the conflicts are so interesting. The entire game feels like mudwrestling, desperately trying to get a handle both on your very slippery opponents and a constantly changing board state. I wish I got to play it more often.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I like the AGOT system for combat but I don't like that everyone has their own set of cards. I prefer Kemet in that respect. I just get sick of having a spreadsheet or passing your cards to your opponent to read before every combat. That's just my opinion, of course.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Battle for Rokugan has a pretty neat battle system. You fight a number of battles across the board, all at once each turn, and all your units go face-down. So they all reveal at the same time and you get the straight-forward battles of a Euro game with enough randomness and bluffing to make it lively.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
Another criticism I've seen against the combat in Scythe is that it's too simplistic. I absolutely disagree with that. The combat is simplistic, and that is because the actual combat should never be the focus in Scythe. A quick, clever system means the game doesn't get bogged down in boring combat resolution and keeps the focus on the more interesting aspects of the gameplay.

In comparison, a game that utterly failed in this respect is Star Wars Rebellion. It's a game that has its strength in the cat and mouse chase between the empire and rebels. But instead of keeping the focus on that very cool aspect of the game it keeps turning into a drawn out luck driven dice chucker, essentially killing the momentum stone dead every time combat occurs. It would have been so much better with a quick and simple battle system. Let the game play to its strengths.

Inis is such a wonderful game, and the conflicts are so interesting. The entire game feels like mudwrestling, desperately trying to get a handle both on your very slippery opponents and a constantly changing board state. I wish I got to play it more often.

I mostly agree with this. Combat doesn't seem to be the focus in Scythe, it certainly gives off a weird first impression to new players though.

Rebellion combat is also certainly the worst aspect. I do appreciate the revised rules but with how few combat engagements their actually are over an entire game, it feels like one poorly rolled combat has way too much impact on the rest of the game.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of hate that I did it, because I backed the first CMON TMNT game, but I backed this one too. I love the TMNT, I enjoyed the first game quite a bit, and I think I would kick myself later if I missed out on this one. I still feel kind of cheated as a backer of the first kickstarter, that I have to back this one to get some of the things they said would come to the first game.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I like the AGOT system for combat but I don't like that everyone has their own set of cards. I prefer Kemet in that respect. I just get sick of having a spreadsheet or passing your cards to your opponent to read before every combat. That's just my opinion, of course.
I feel like the Houses have to have different strengths in order to balance the board layouts. I've never played the game any more than casually where I'd care exactly what anybody has in hand at any given time, though.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Houses have to have different strengths in order to balance the board layouts. I've never played the game any more than casually where I'd care exactly what anybody has in hand at any given time, though.

I don't mind the different strengths at all. It is just all the text cards that you have to keep passing and then everyone has to read them all and it just slows the game down.. Kemet is fine with the way they do it.

My Claustrophobia 1643 showed up. I like the production quite a bit. I know it is a table hog but still. I never played the original.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Gloomhaven question:
We translated the tablet with the cipher and figured out the "M" from section A-12 on the map, I assume this is the first part of another set of map coordinates. The question: is the 2nd part discovered in another quest chain or do we already have everything in this current quest chain to solve the riddle?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1964443/complete-primer-envelope-x-major-spoilers

It's part of this long puzzle. Personally I didn't really care for it and just look it up.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Already a winner for containing Hondo and Aphra.

Received Resident Evil 2 the board game an hour ago. It was a good time at Gen Con, but the tile components are pretty rough with how dark they are. The storage situation isn't the best either, with a lot of inlay space that could have been opened up to better fit components both within the base game and the expansions. The same goes for the expansions. Quite a few of the boxes are massive compared to what they contain, and others are small and disposable in comparison.

I'll try and get it to the table soon to give an opinion on how the whole product feels. Shouldn't be too hard given the general positive feelings from REmake2.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Kickstarter for Millennium Blades Collusion is up!

849575f8c1c744176218642408c1a863_original.png

Speaking of Kickstarters, anyone with any experience of Vindication? There is another one up for that and I listened to Tom Vasels review of the game, made it sound quite interesting but still a bit on the fence.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Kickstarter for Millennium Blades Collusion is up!

849575f8c1c744176218642408c1a863_original.png

Speaking of Kickstarters, anyone with any experience of Vindication? There is another one up for that and I listened to Tom Vasels review of the game, made it sound quite interesting but still a bit on the fence.

I was interested. I read this thread on BGG and decided to hold off for now..

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2124276/dissecting-vindication/page/1

I am in for Outer Rim. I like them exploring the SW universe a bit more too as opposed to the standard mini games.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Big day yesterday of gaming as it was my birthday last week: Battle for Rokugan, Cry Havoc, Imperius, Co2 & Blood Rage. Felt bloody exhausted after starting at 10am and finishing at 11:55pm! Ended up sleeping for 10 hours afterwards haha.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got to play my copy tonight
WE LOVED IT. Oh my I had no idea how much I would love it. I gotta think about it but I think it's in my top 10 . Going to play again tomorrow

Looks great. My review copy is set to arrive tomorrow. Our first stonemeyer review so will be interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. My review copy is set to arrive tomorrow. Our first stonemeyer review so will be interesting.

Make sure you post the review here, I'll be interested in what you say

Looks awesome! And glad to hear it was enjoyable. The long wait continues...

Try calling a few local game stores if you have any, they might be able to hook you up / still taking preorders. That's how I got gloomhaven a week before release

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
You're a machine! I haven't even started, but yeah, it's a TON of stuff. Is the assembly easier than the original cores? I know Flying Frog took a lot of flak for some of those builds.

The models in the FoFo stuff are leagues ahead of the older sets. FFP definitely learned how this whole modeling process works over the past few years. I also finally discovered the magic of Testors plastic cement. I don't know why I ignored that shit for so long, but man is it the best ever for plastic models.

Unrelated, anyone play the RE2 boardgame yet? Someone is selling a KS pledge with a bunch of extras and I'm curious if it's worth it.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm wondering if you guys have played any Vital Lacerda games? I was talking about them in another discord channel recently, and had never heard of the designer before, but was immediately intrigued because of the theme of his games, the artwork and the complexity. I then went to look at videos on his games, Vinhos looks interesting, though a bit complicated, and Lisboa went right over my head. What do you guys think?

I've heard the designer Jamey Stegmaier say, a lot of it has to do with emulating a cold war type feel, there's a bit of an arms race with collecting combat cards. You only need to win one battle to claim a star so its a small part of the game.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm wondering if you guys have played any Vital Lacerda games? I was talking about them in another discord channel recently, and had never heard of the designer before, but was immediately intrigued because of the theme of his games, the artwork and the complexity. I then went to look at videos on his games, Vinhos looks interesting, though a bit complicated, and Lisboa went right over my head. What do you guys think?

I think he's one of the best game designers working right now. They are complex games that are relatively easy to dive into, and the mechanics all click together in a smooth "clockwork", and everything you do in the game feels rewarding in some way while the overall goal is challenging.
They are also (almost all) very well produced and free from rulebook errors or design jank.

I have The Gallerist, Vinhos, Lisboa, and Escape Plan is on the way in a couple of months. They are a little more expensive than the typical game but I think it's the rare case of it being totally worth it.

I would recommend Gallerist as a good entry point, but that's just my experience.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think he's one of the best game designers working right now. They are complex games that are relatively easy to dive into, and the mechanics all click together in a smooth "clockwork", and everything you do in the game feels rewarding in some way while the overall goal is challenging.
They are also (almost all) very well produced and free from rulebook errors or design jank.

I have The Gallerist, Vinhos, Lisboa, and Escape Plan is on the way in a couple of months. They are a little more expensive than the typical game but I think it's the rare case of it being totally worth it.

I would recommend Gallerist as a good entry point, but that's just my experience.

Yeah The Gallerist is the one that caught my eye. Love the theme.

The trouble is his games are quite difficult to get in Australia (out of stock or really expensive ($120+), and Amazon.com seem to charge crazy prices for shipping (and sometimes won't even ship internationally).

Kanban is available at a reasonable price, so I'm going to look into that. I wanted to get Lisboa but after watching a rules video, I'm not sure anymore, there seem like a lot of systems in that one. Got my eye on Vinhos. The Gallerist if it ever becomes available in Australia again.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah The Gallerist is the one that caught my eye. Love the theme.

The trouble is his games are quite difficult to get in Australia (out of stock or really expensive ($120+), and Amazon.com seem to charge crazy prices for shipping (and sometimes won't even ship internationally).

Kanban is available at a reasonable price, so I'm going to look into that. I wanted to get Lisboa but after watching a rules video, I'm not sure anymore, there seem like a lot of systems in that one. Got my eye on Vinhos. The Gallerist if it ever becomes available in Australia again.

I'm not sure how this will work out for you in Australia but Lacerda and Eagle Gryphon Games have a new game coming up on KS in May or June and they will usually let you add on past games.

Another option is to maybe look into a shipping proxy from US to Aus? Right now Eagle Gryphons site shows it 20% off and in stock. Might not clear your $120 limit though, after all the fees and shipping.

Last edited:

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flig...UTF8&qid=1549955274&sr=8-1&keywords=runebound

Hey guys - Runebound 3rd Edition on Amazon is $23 which I feel like is a really good price for it since its normally $60. Maybe its a price error?

I'm not sure how this will work out for you in Australia but Lacerda and Eagle Gryphon Games have a new game coming up on KS in May or June and they will usually let you add on past games.

Another option is to maybe look into a shipping proxy from US to Aus? Right now Eagle Gryphons site shows it 20% off and in stock. Might not clear your $120 limit though, after all the fees and shipping.

Yeah that might be an option, ive never tried one before.

If they can ship older Lacerda games with the new KS that would be perfect. Eagle Games website is like $100 shipping for one game, $140 for two, so that's really too much and Eagle Games store on Amazon.com doesn't allow for international shipping.