• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for Gloomhaven owners. I'm going to spoiler the question for those who haven't finished the game, or especially stuck with the default storage in the box.

I'm curious how many people found the "Open Only When You Need It" envelope, or at least think they would have if they hadn't bought a storage solution. I was kind of amazed when I pulled out the plastic insert to put in the Broken Token one, just to find that cryptic envelope under it. I haven't opened it yet (and have no idea what's inside), but it did make me wonder how many players will end up missing whatever it is. I thought, for a game like Gloomhaven that has you tearing up cards and marking stuff permanently, that it was a really, really clever inclusion!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so if anyone is interested in Fog of Love it's down to $15 on walmart and the expansions are down to $9-$10 each.
it's a walmart exclusive (last I checked at least) if it's getting this cheap I imagine they are just clearing stock. I wonder if the game is going to go out of print.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Wingspan is set to arrive Tuesday, so that should be fun.

After everyone's comments I ordered both Gloomhaven and 7th Continent.

Gloomhaven arrived this morning, that is one heavy box, 7th continent is set to arrive on Tuesday.

Looking forward to jumping into both. Will probably try 7th Continent first one night this week. Current plan is to run a solo session of Gloomhaven next Saturday.

7th Continent will be much easier to get to the table. Enjoy!

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
so if anyone is interested in Fog of Love it's down to $15 on walmart and the expansions are down to $9-$10 each.
it's a walmart exclusive (last I checked at least) if it's getting this cheap I imagine they are just clearing stock. I wonder if the game is going to go out of print.

This is an amazing deal. I love Fog of Love and am picking up a second copy to use as a gift

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I have played Grand Austria Hotel, Lorezno il Magnifico, and Coimbra. All three designs are similar, I would say, and are similarly rated. I own the last two. I like Grand Austria Hotel the least but it supposedly plays best with two players. I just don't play a lot of games, especially Euros, at the two player count. Lorenzo plays best with four players and Coimbra with three. Lorenzo also has a mini expansion coming out to add some more interaction, but I doubt that will help with the game at lower player counts.

Oct 25, 2017
I have played Grand Austria Hotel, Lorezno il Magnifico, and Coimbra. All three designs are similar, I would say, and are similarly rated. I own the last two. I like Grand Austria Hotel the least but it supposedly plays best with two players. I just don't play a lot of games, especially Euros, at the two player count. Lorenzo plays best with four players and Coimbra with three. Lorenzo also has a mini expansion coming out to add some more interaction, but I doubt that will help with the game at lower player counts.
Its a bit of a weird design. Its very fun, but just has the huge problem that there is way to much downtime between turns, even at two player. And the game ends up being to long for what it is.

Thanks for the info i think I'll pass on it for now

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
If anyone feel like they missed out on the Claustrophobia 1643, they have done a 48 hour Kickstarter again for the last 2500 of their Collectors boxes and also for a soundscape.

daaefe3e3473e73afec94a30147994db_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/claustrophobia-1643-soundscape1

I quite liked their last Kickstarter, it was no faffing about with stretch goals and stuff, it was simply "This is the game, we will deliver it at this time, we just wanna know how many want it" (quite many did).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If anyone feel like they missed out on the Claustrophobia 1643, they have done a 48 hour Kickstarter again for the last 2500 of their Collectors boxes and also for a soundscape.

daaefe3e3473e73afec94a30147994db_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/claustrophobia-1643-soundscape1

I quite liked their last Kickstarter, it was no faffing about with stretch goals and stuff, it was simply "This is the game, we will deliver it at this time, we just wanna know how many want it" (quite many did).

Fuck I dunno if I want this, but the fomo is insane

Oct 28, 2017
Being 2 player only is what made me pass. With 2 player games it's usually the wife and me. Seeing that this is the opposite of my wife's type of game and it will never get played. Looks cool though, I like the action die mechanism.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Funny, being 2 player only is the reason I ended up backing it. I only have 1 hardcore friend I can get to try stuff like this out. Games that need 3+ to work I have trouble playing since I'm usually too lazy to go to my local game store on game nights.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Claustrophobia. the 1v1 means it doesn't get played often at game days but when I do get a chance to play it, I love it more than most other games

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing some story aspects. What's significant about 1643? Is this a supposed event in that historical year? Alternate universe stuff (perhaps akin to The Order: 1886?)?

That and the notion that it's a battle between "Western warriors" and "Demonic hordes" in "New Jerusalem" leaves me a little uncomfortable. It seems like a bunch of pointed naming that doesn't particularly seem necessary, but I might well be being uncomfortable over nothing!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Funny, being 2 player only is the reason I ended up backing it. I only have 1 hardcore friend I can get to try stuff like this out. Games that need 3+ to work I have trouble playing since I'm usually too lazy to go to my local game store on game nights.

Funny, being 2 player only is the reason I end up ignoring this game all the time. I suppose I have some people I could play 2 player but feel like I'd rather do a bigger game. Does seem interesting though!

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I have been lurking for a while. I think I'll become more active on this thread from now on. Been actively playing board games for a year and change.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the heads up, I just grabbed the expansions. It does seem like this is it for the game but I'm okay with that. In fact, with the recent occupation promo pack from BGG, I think I've everything for the game now.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Root kickstarter today! I'm hyped. My friends and I are still mad about the game. Should be up at 3pm UK time, apparently.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Root kickstarter today! I'm hyped. My friends and I are still mad about the game. Should be up at 3pm UK time, apparently.

I still haven't played with the first expansion, but I'll be backing it. I love the base game.

I haven't even played as the Vagabond yet, I have to get it back to the table soon.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Just backed Claustrophobia. I rarely play 1v1 games but it just seems too cool to pass up. Any dark fantasy/horror co-op games you'd recommend? Also into superhero shit. Was looking at Betrayal Legacy because my group loves both previous Betrayal games but a full-on co-op game would be great.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
GrimGrinningGuy Discusses Wingspan! https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/science/wingspan-board-game-elizabeth-hargrave.html

Anbd my copy fell through. Probably wait for the corrected 3rd printing now.
I heard that a lot of stores didn't get as many copies as they ordered. Jamey Stegmeier said that the third printing is the first "big" print run, and should meet the demand. This will also be the first printing with the corrected cards, so anyone that waits for the third printing won't have to worry about ordering corrected cards.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I heard that a lot of stores didn't get as many copies as they ordered. Jamey Stegmeier said that the third printing is the first "big" print run, and should meet the demand. This will also be the first printing with the corrected cards, so anyone that waits for the third printing won't have to worry about ordering corrected cards.

Wait, how do I know which edition I have and what cards have errors?

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The place I preordered only got two copies.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Root kickstarter is up! And boy are those numbers going up fast.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/root-the-underworld-expansion

Love the new Vagabonds :3

I wonder if I can request some voodoo; I ordered Root as a bonus for my VAST Kickstarter, and didn't notice when they realised they couldn't fulfil that and asked people to change their pledges, so they've still got a chunk of my VAST money... which *should* correspond to a baseline version of Root.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
I am in for $1. I will get the upgrade kit. Not sure if I will get the expansion as we just don't play the base game enough as it is.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Backed it. I love the asymmetry of the game, and even more factions and options for variety can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So tell me about this game called Root.... I usually only play games with my wife except when my friends come over.

Oct 25, 2017
So tell me about this game called Root.... I usually only play games with my wife except when my friends come over.
It's a brutal wargame where each faction has a different way to win. One might spread themselves across the board. One might putter along with a single piece trying to do their own objectives. Another might beg other players to give them money in exchange for cards.

It's intended to be balanced by people smashing whoever has a chance of winning into the ground, so it's tough teaching new players since vagabonds might easily win if everyone doesn't constantly crush them for example.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Backed the new Root expansion! I'm excited for it, of course, but I think I'm even more excited for the upgrade pack to get the fixed rule book and player boards and the set of automata so I can practice all the base factions without having to bother other people, haha

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
It's a brutal wargame where each faction has a different way to win. One might spread themselves across the board. One might putter along with a single piece trying to do their own objectives. Another might beg other players to give them money in exchange for cards.

It's intended to be balanced by people smashing whoever has a chance of winning into the ground, so it's tough teaching new players since vagabonds might easily win if everyone doesn't constantly crush them for example.
It's not good for 2 players

Okay thanks guys. I guess I will pass, but it does sound nice!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see an expansion for Root, but I'll likely have to pass. The base game proved to be too difficult to get to the table given the asymmetric play and how the rules were laid out.

Edit: Could always check out if the errata helps. My players love Villainous, so it's not like asymmetric is a turn off. It's just grasping the mechanics, and unfortunately its difficult trying to teach several different ways to play at once.

Last edited: